PDA

View Full Version : Falcon Ergo grip?

ARPATRIOT
04-03-11, 08:09
I held an AR with one the other day(full rubber coated)and it was quite comfy.Never cared for their look,but they are growing on me.Wondering how durable they are and how you guys that have one like it?

Kissel
04-03-11, 08:29
I have a couple of them on range guns because the price was right. I don't have any durability or failure issues, and they are pretty comfortable.

kmrtnsn
04-03-11, 14:04
I prefer the larger Tangodown BG-17 for the same price. For the money and damn perfect ergonomics the Magpul MOE is hard to beat. There has been talk of a rubber covered MOE grip for almost two years but so far it is nothing more than vaporware. Stickman has one.

Killjoy
04-03-11, 15:51
I've used them for years and have them on all my AR's, except my job-issued one. Been through some hard-use classes with them (Vickers, Sigarms, Smith Academy, Blackwater) and never had any durability issues with them.

The_War_Wagon
04-03-11, 16:17
I had one from circa. 2008 that the plug would vibrate loose out of from recoil, which was a PITA when it barfed CR123's all over the place. Fortunately, the newer ones seem a biit more durable. And they are a nice grip, particularly if you have smaller hands.

tgace
04-03-11, 16:38
I had one from circa. 2008 that the plug would vibrate loose out of from recoil, which was a PITA when it barfed CR123's all over the place. Fortunately, the newer ones seem a biit more durable. And they are a nice grip, particularly if you have smaller hands.

Truth.

I stopped carrying anything in mine and ditched the plug. Other than that it's tough as nails.

txpatriot
04-03-11, 18:04
I kept the plug but wont try to carry anything in mine. not enough tension to hold any real weight

MWL
04-03-11, 18:16
ARPATRIOT,

I own a dozen+ of these, they are on all of my ARs. I believe they are/were standard on LMT and SDI rifles/lowers.

The earlier ones did not have the plug, and were a little thinner walled, I managed to break one, but replacement by the manufacturer/distributer was simple.

Then they brought out the ones with the plug. As stated, I would not store anything in them, although the ?second version was more secure. The biggest advantage is that it appears sturdier, especially with the internal "ribs" that run the entire length, and are there for aligning the batteries, should you wish to carry them.

Having looked at the manufacturer's website recently, it appears that they may no longer do the version with the plug (too many issues?), although I hope they kept the internal reinforcement.

Regards.

Mark

04-03-11, 20:10
My dad has one on his rifle. He's used it 4 or 5 times shooting so far. All of the range trips were colder weather (50 and below). When he went shooting yesterday (80+ degrees) his rifle worked fine the first few magazines. He set the rifle down in the sun to shoot his shotgun. The AR sat in the sun for roughly 30 min. When he returned to shooting the AR, every time he would fire, the safety selector would re engage. He had to turn the safety off after each shot. He took the ergo grip off, and replaced it with an A2 grip. The safety problem went away, no more malfunctions. He figured out the indent for the safety selector spring was made of rubber, with rubber at the bottom of the indent. When the grip heated up, the rubber became soft and the spring did not have enough tension to keep the safety engaged. He fixed the ergo grip by putting a very small disc of plastic in the bottom of the spring indent. Seems to have solved the issue. Ill update after the next range trip. Hopefully no one in harms way suffers this same malfunction if their ergo grip gets hot.

Ilove2shoot
04-03-11, 22:26
never had the problem the previous poster mentioned.

I have been using them since before they came out with the Rubberized version. I used to run the mold for the original hard plastic ones. it is pretty much the only grips I use. If your hands are a little bigger, you might also like the deluxe suregrip.

MOUNT-N-SLOT
04-03-11, 23:00
IWC has one on our new LMT .308 MWS. It feels good. The plug stays tight. With the weight on the rifle, 11 lbs with full mag, it helps hold the rifle. I like them.

MOUNT-N-SLOT