PDA

View Full Version : XDM As A Duty Weapon

FlyChicaga
04-03-11, 16:20
Today I decided to head to the range and rent a few different models of 9mm's, trying to see which one was a better fit for me. I may be needing to buy a duty weapon soon, so I wanted to see which gun fit my hand better, and how well I shot with each.

I carry an H&K .40 USP Compact now, and I shoot OK with it. I don't practice more than once every other month with it though (just because of $$). So for my "evaluation," I decided to shoot the Glock 17, S&W M&P9, and the XDM9. After doing research, I had decided I was going to choose between the Glock and the S&W, but I figured I'd give the XDM a whirl just for S&Gs.

Honestly, I shot the XDM a LOT better than the other two models. As in, at 10 yards I had a grouping that was about the size of my fist. I haven't shot since December, so I felt pretty good about that. At 25 yards, I had a grouping about the size of my hand.

When shooting the Glock, I found I didn't like the grip that much, and I hated the stock sights. I did easily reach the mag release, which was a problem for me on the M&P9. I had to turn my hand a bit and adjust my grip to properly hit the release on the M&P. That's was a big turn off for me, because it's important I can quickly do a magazine exchange or emergency reload. With the XDM, I had no problems reaching the mag release, and I was very quick to do magazine exchanges. I also found I was quicker in getting back on target with the XDM for follow-up shots.

So, my question is, does anyone have any experience carrying the XDM as a duty weapon? I've read some things online saying there are reliability issues with the gun, but I'm not sure how true they are. I know that was the case with the XD9, but the new XDM seems to be a love/hate relationship with most people. I don't know if they are just coming from other guns like Glocks, and don't like the change, or what. For me, I've shot my current weapon so little, I'm almost able to start fresh and not "relearn" anything.

Also, for a BUG/OD carry, obviously Springfield doesn't really made a compact model XDM. So I'd need to find another model to carry. That leaves me with going to shoot the Glock 26 or M&P9c I guess.

Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated. I didn't come up with anything in a search.

PS: Is there any difference in materials between the all black 4.5 XDM9 and the two-tone 4.5 XDM9?

TOrrock
04-03-11, 16:28
Welcome to the forum.

Take some time to read through some of the threads, and search XDM or Springfield XD in the search engine, there have been multiple threads already about the durability and reliability issues that have been associated with the XD/XDM.

Also, read through DocGR's thread, which includes a good article on service and duty ready handguns.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19887

The fact that there are no MAJOR police departments that issue them is telling.

FlyChicaga
04-03-11, 16:30
Thanks. I've been reading for a while (this place is a great source of info).

I did a search for "XDM" and came up with only a few hits. I'll try again...

TOrrock
04-03-11, 16:32
Try throwing Springfield in the search as well, and use the orange search button at the top of the page on the right hand side.

Definitely read through Doc's post, great article about service pistols.

TheGreenRanger24
04-03-11, 16:38
So, my question is, does anyone have any experience carrying the XDM as a duty weapon? I've read some things online saying there are reliability issues with the gun, but I'm not sure how true they are. I know that was the case with the XD9, but the new XDM seems to be a love/hate relationship with most people. I don't know if they are just coming from other guns like Glocks, and don't like the change, or what. For me, I've shot my current weapon so little, I'm almost able to start fresh and not "relearn" anything.

Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated. I didn't come up with anything in a search.

Welcome to the forums FlyChicaga. I think most of the people at this board would recommend you get either a Glock or M&P (mostly because they have better track records than XDs do). Read through this thread for a glance at some XD issues: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=72096&highlight=springfield+xd

I am by no means an expert and I'm sure some of our more knowledgeable members will be around shortly. Some things to keep in mind though as you make your decision: 3rd Generation Glocks have an excellent track record for dependability/reliability; 4th Gen Glocks are a bit more picky. M&P's haven't been around as long as the XD design, but are more highly thought of than the rebranded HS2000. XDs are considered to be more of a range gun for "bubba" than a weapon to depend on.

My two cents worth: see if you can take a pistol training course with either a Glock 17 (or 19) or the M&P and go from there.

fwiw :p

ETA: Damn, Templar you're fast . . . or maybe I should type a little faster :D

rathos
04-03-11, 16:58
My old FTO carried an XDM .40. He had no issues with it and it was an accurate gun. I have another friend in a small department that carried an XD .45 tactical. While they might not be regarded as the best guns neither of them have had issues.

Both guns are owned by "shooters" who put quite a few rounds through their guns. They haven't had any issues but know how to lubricate their guns and how to perform regular maintenance. I think most people that report the issues are the "bubba" shooters that don't know how to take care of their guns. Are their others that might have had issues? Sure, guns are mechanical objects and can break.

If you like it then get it.

dsg2003gt
04-03-11, 17:02
keep searching, there are enough XD/XDM threads on here to keep you busy.

ill summarize them all for you:

For serious duty use: Glock/M&P/HK
Of the above: Glock in 9mm, M&P in .40 and HK in 45.

ralph
04-03-11, 17:04
In addition to the Glock, and M&P, I would'nt forget to consider the HK P-30, or possibly the P-2000, If possible try them with a LEM trigger, But as suggested, do some more research on the XD/XDM series before you buy..I used to have a XD-45 (service model) I have a Mid-size M&P45 now...The M&P is far superior,I have NO regrets in ridding myself of the XD..

JodyH
04-03-11, 17:37
The only reason I steer people away from H&K P2000, P30 for duty use is the poor selection of duty holsters, especially if you have a tac light mounted.

BigBuckeye
04-03-11, 17:42
I have an XDM3.8 9mm with over 3k rounds through it. Never a stopage of ANY kind. I would not hesitate to trust my life with this handgun.

I just purchased an M&P .45 4.5" and I like it a lot, but I am afraid so far, I like the XDM slightly better.

-Fit and finish seem to be just a tad better on the XDM (M&P has a noticable gap between the frame and slide)

-The grip angle for me is also slightly better on the XDM but frankly both are very good.

-Take down- I hope I am missing something on the M&P because having to use a tool to field strip this handgun is NOT amusing. I assumed that the takedown would be like the XDM...simple....I was floored when I realized that you had to use the tool that slides out of the grip. I probably would not have purchased if I knew that before, my fault for not doing enough research.

The M&P is only a week old and while I can already tell it is a quality weapon, I still feel the XDM has a slight edge.

eightmillimeter
04-03-11, 17:44
I enjoy shooting my XD45, but I don't think it should have ever been "handgun of the year" (twice)

dewman
04-03-11, 17:53
I got to agree with you BigBuckeye. I have over 2k rounds through my XDM 45 (no problems) and purchased a M&P 45 about three months ago. I guess I was to use to my XDM and never could shoot the M&P as well. But I did just recently install an apex kit in the M&P and now the trigger is where it needs to be.

Good one on the field stripping...don't care to much on using the grip tool...either. But again I have no affinity for any mfg...probably purchase a glock by the end of the year just to add to my "bubba" collection..

Nytcrawler93
04-03-11, 18:16
I also own an XDM 3.8 compact in stainless. It is the easiest to disassemble of the bunch and the safest to carry. I owned Glock 19's, HK USP's, Walthers, and have shot and cleaned M&P's and I liked the XDM the most. I like the safety on the grip, the ease/safety of the field strip, and the durability of the slide. The grip is fantastic and I have approximately 5-600 real world rounds of every type through it and have yet to have a fail. I was a hard core glock person until my 19 broke on the range and I borrowed an XDM from the guy next to me. I still like the Glock but REALLY like the XDM. I hate the way the M&P field strips and the GEN 4 is hit and miss. The trigger was not nearly as bad as some of the reports said either. My compact is mega versatile for CCW as well.;) Buy what you shoot well and what YOU trust.

BigBuckeye
04-03-11, 18:27
I forgot to mention, I also think the trigger on the XDM is FAR superior to the M&P, BUT I expect that to change as I get more rounds through it.

If not, I am sending it in for a trigger job..

dewman
04-03-11, 18:39
I forgot to mention, I also think the trigger on the XDM is FAR superior to the M&P, BUT I expect that to change as I get more rounds through it.

If not, I am sending it in for a trigger job..

I think I had put about 800 rounds through my MP before I decided to add the apex kit. The MP trigger never gave up it's "gritty" feel to it, so I just decided to fix it. Installing the apex kit was easy..except for the little plunger..took a bit of patience to get that to seat over the new plunger spring..

BTW..sorry to go off subject FlyChicaga

variablebinary
04-03-11, 18:43
This has been hashed out a million times over.

In a nutshell:

XD - Not a duty gun

Glock/M&P/HK - Duty guns

If you need proof...Who uses the XD as a duty gun?

S-1
04-03-11, 18:59
I know of a lot of departments that have approved the XD for duty use, including mine, but I don't know of any that issue them. One of our firearms instructors recently sold his XD .45 and I asked him why. He said that he just prefers his P220 but the XD never failed him with around 7k rounds through it. The XD was also the firearm that he took to the firearms instructor course.

With that being said, I voted 'no' when asked on the questionare if they should be approved for duty use after we "T&E'd" them. But I guess enough people liked them to make my vote pointless. I wasn't too impressed with them, but I'm also not impressed with the M&P's either, so I may just be weird. The grip safety is not needed, and the function that prohibits the slide from functioning unless the grip safety is pressed has NO place on a duty weapon. I don't have enough first hand experience with them to question their durability.

Nytcrawler93
04-03-11, 19:05
This duty-not duty argument is a little silly. Big departments care about cost, cost, cost, and cost. Why do you think Glock is so popular? Reliable? YES, CHEAP? YES. The new XDM's are just as reliable but cost more so departments go with cheaper. There is virtually no difference in reliability between the XDM, Glock, and M&P. It boils down to preference and using the "duty" moniker is really not helpful in this debate. It is not like we are comparing a pot metal gun versus a custom 1911. Tear down an M&P back to back with an XDM and then tell me which one was a better thought out design.

Rmplstlskn
04-03-11, 19:06
Well since I am a lowly gun enthusiast, not .mil, .gov or .popo, who will likely NEVER need a handgun in a police shootout or battlefield, I do not NEED to believe that my pistol will survive WWIII till the end, 10k rounds later...

With a topic that has been beat to death, I have so far been very happy with my XD and XDM performance and reliability, and the XDM sights and trigger are indeed better than any stock Glock or M&P trigger. Plus, there are also threads galore out there that show the XD and XDM surviving thousands of rounds. Yes, they do have a weakness (roll pin), but that is easily swapped for a more robust one and costs a few bucks...

I will not re-hash all the old posts, all I can say is that after spending some time with a friends M&P & M&P Pro, I have found that the XDM fits MY HAND (short fingers bear paw) much better and the XDM ergonomics are ideal for ME in a full-size pistol (my thumb easily reaches the slide release on the XD/XDM but I cannot easily reach the M&P slide release without breaking grip).

I really wish the M&P fit my hand better, I really did, but it did not and the XDM is like sweetness in the hand for ME... I even had my XDM for sale planning on getting an M&P... But for MY NEEDS, the XD & XDM is the IDEAL HANDGUN, and I have no fear or concern that it won't go boom when I need it the most...

Rmpl

TOrrock
04-03-11, 19:10
The grip safety is not needed, and the function that prohibits the slide from functioning unless the grip safety is pressed has NO place on a duty weapon. I don't have enough first hand experience with them to question their durability.

That's the biggest ding against them.....especially if one handed emergency manipulations are needed.

I've also seen XD's break their strikers, extractors, and I've seen two where they literally needed a mallet to open up they were locked up so bad.

Individual pieces have seen thousands of trouble free rounds, for sure, but seen as a whole, there is a reason that major departments have not issued them en mass. I know that Beverly Hills PD issued some, but I'm not aware of any others.

Again, Doc wrote an excellent article in the link that I posted about duty ready handguns, I'd highly recommend reading it and taking it to heart.