PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite compass

K.L. Davis
04-03-11, 19:59
It is a good thing that only moderators can see how many times I have deleted and reposted this...

I am still calling this Part II

If you pick "other" please post what your choice is.

CLHC
04-03-11, 20:13
Brunton 8010G

docsherm
04-03-11, 22:10
I have been using a Military Lensatic for so long that it has become second nature to me. I guess that there are better ones out there but to be honest I would say that I have never even looked. After seeing this thread I might just have to “expand” my horizons and look at what else is out there.

krm375
04-04-11, 07:20
I believe that a lensatic type compass is more accurate by sighting. While just patrolling the Silva Ranger style is easy to look at while on the move and maintain course. I carry both for those reasons.

Tortuga
04-04-11, 21:56
Suunto MC-2 Global

I like not having to worry about having the right compass for the region I'm operating in. I find the functions on the base very intuitive, useful, and easy to teach. Declination adjustment is a plus. The luminescence of the dial works just fine for night use. The clinometer is good for backcountry use. It's an easy to use piece of kit that doesn't seem to intimidate novice navigation students as much as other compasses seem to do.

I wouldn't mind having an MC-2 or a Silva Ranger set up in mils, though. That would be sweet!

PrivateCitizen
04-04-11, 22:11
The Silva Ranger and Suunto MC-2 Global are pretty close … can't go wrong with either. Never used a Brunton 15 … but the kids learn initially on a Brunton Classic.

But I prefer and voted for the Suunto Global only in that I've used it extensively on wilderness hiking for years.

memphisjim
04-04-11, 22:14
victorinox

Armati
04-04-11, 22:40
USGI tritium. I still have a couple of good ones.

My back up compass is a the Suunto M3 that I keep in my pocket for quick reference and survival purposes if I have to jettison the rest of my gear.

Ironbutt
04-04-11, 23:19
I've been using my Silva Ranger for over 30 years & I'm beginning to get the hang of it.:) There's nothing wrong with the military lensatic either.

HES
04-05-11, 23:22
USGI Tritium is my favorite.

usmcvet
04-08-11, 16:54
I like the Silva Guide. I bought the Ranger online, it was a great compass but freaking huge. The Ranger does everything I need it to do and it fits well in my shirt pocket.

http://store.silvacompass.com/products/345161/Guide_426_Graphite

dan1775
04-12-11, 22:10
USGI lensatic.

Muddyboots
04-12-11, 23:38
Like many, I'm overly familiar with the USGI Stocker and Yale tritium. I've carried one for years. I always carried a simple Silva or more recently Suunto baseplate type compass too. These are what I've always done land nav with. The lensatic had just been going for a ride in my pack. I almost never used it. I stopped carrying it. I keep it in my gear because they do have there uses. So does the M2 Transit.

General Nav? These days the MC-2G.

Muddyboots

M4Fundi
04-14-11, 04:05
Suunto MC2-G
I usually work in the southern hemisphere so I need a global compass. When I switched over to GPS as primary (became way to dependent on it:eek:) on one job I was not paying attention to where I was and the GPS broke I realized I was very rusty on my compass/nav skills:( I now try to regularly over the course of the day transfer waypoints onto the map, so if GPS goes tits up I can get home.

Redmanfms
04-14-11, 08:49
I've only ever used the Cammenga 3H and it works so I stick with it. Plate types like the Silva Explorer and the Brunton 7 seem to be vastly more popular among the backpacking community (at least on the East Coast) because of their weight and size.

Watrdawg
04-14-11, 15:19
I've been using a regular Military Lensatic compass since the late 80's when I was in. The one i have is the one that I had in the Army.

Tortuga
04-14-11, 23:14
I know I said the MC-2G was my FAVORITE compass, but as far as what compass I use the MOST, it's the little Suunto Clipper I keep on my G-Shock.

K.L. Davis
04-15-11, 09:49
This question (with about hundred votes) is on my facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/DMRSurvival) also.

maximus83
04-15-11, 19:54
I like the Silva Guide. I bought the Ranger online, it was a great compass but freaking huge. The Ranger does everything I need it to do and it fits well in my shirt pocket.

http://store.silvacompass.com/products/345161/Guide_426_Graphite

Not a compass expert enough to have any grounds for comparison, but a couple years ago, I got the Silva Guide as well for the features and, like you said, the convenient size.

maximus83
04-15-11, 19:55
Can somebody educate me: Aside from the visibility in the dark, are there features in a military lensatic-type compass that a typical Silva, like the Ranger or Guide, would not have?

usmcvet
04-15-11, 20:10
I would say one of the best things is they a rugged as heck! You could probably cave someone's head in with a few whacks and then still use it.

K.L. Davis
04-15-11, 22:19
Can somebody educate me: Aside from the visibility in the dark, are there features in a military lensatic-type compass that a typical Silva, like the Ranger or Guide, would not have?
They are different animals really... it seems that a person that learned to use a lensatic compass in the military is comfortable with it, and sticks with what they know.

The obvious difference with the military compass is the lens and sighting system... some say it this system is more accurate, but the big difference is that the military style compass is what is called a "card" type compass... notice that the numbers are all on the rotating card and the bearing is read against a fixed lubber line on the compass housing.

A compass like the Silva Ranger (one of my favorites) is a needle type compass and requires aligning the rotating dial with the needle to orient the compass...

This is my take on it:

Military type lensatic - Rugged and simple, very easy to use for taking and staying on a bearing, not so friendly when it comes to working on a map with it though, lots of folks stick the compass in their pocket an rely on a seperate protractor like the GTA 5-2-12 we all know and love.

Commercial Base Plate style - More versatile, but maybe a bit intimidating to some, often this style compass functions as a map protractor and all-in-one tool.

usmcvet
04-16-11, 01:21
Well that was the wrong post sorry gents. Here is what I wanted to share:

New Silva Ranger 515 CLQ Precision Compass for $31.99

http://www.unclesamsretailoutlet.com/Silva-Ranger-515-CLQ-Precision-Compass-2801078.html

K.L. Davis
04-17-11, 11:08
Well that was the wrong post sorry gents. Here is what I wanted to share:

New Silva Ranger 515 CLQ Precision Compass for $31.99

http://www.unclesamsretailoutlet.com/Silva-Ranger-515-CLQ-Precision-Compass-2801078.html

A heads up to anyone looking at this... make sure you are comfortable with using a Quadrant compass

usmcvet
04-17-11, 11:24
Good catch! I did not know what you meant at first. So just from a quick look it has 90 degrees on North, South, East & West not the 360 degrees most of us are used to?

https://www.m4carbine.net/picture.php?albumid=304&pictureid=1898

K.L. Davis
04-17-11, 11:35
Yes... think of it this way, it is divided into NE, SE, SW and NW quadrants. It reads Zero at North and South and the numbers increase within the quad, so W and E are both 90 degrees.

I find them cumbersome to work with for navigating on a topo, the extra math is just a hinderance... instead of an azimuth/bearing of 160, you have S 20 E when using the quadrant system.

usmcvet
04-17-11, 12:10
Yeah I am already math challenged. I would not want the extra ass ache.

NavyDavy55
04-17-11, 12:45
Being retired Navy, I never had a need for a compass.

Where can I learn land navigation using a compass?

Any books on the subject?

K.L. Davis
04-17-11, 12:52
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=64572

M4Fundi
04-17-11, 20:49
Evidently I lied earlier. I have an MC-2G, but use the M3-G more as it just hangs around my neck. Its a little too large for that and I hope to get something just like the M3-G but smaller for neck wear.

Tortuga
04-18-11, 09:28
Where can I learn land navigation using a compass?

Any books on the subject?

I recommend finding an outdoor outreach, community college, registered state guide, or any other face-to-face class. Heck, crash...er, volunteer to help out at a boy scout nav class. Get the basic stick figure navigation skills down then dig into the books (and get out and do some practical application). For most, just starting from scratch via books is frustrating and not very intuitive.

Bjorn Kjellstrom's book is one of the gold standards on the subject.

Essohbe
04-22-11, 00:30
"Other" = Polaris. ;)

Pathfinder Ops
04-22-11, 08:25
I have been a compass hound for 2 decades. It started in the Army with the standard issue military lensatic and only got worse when I became a Pathfinder and realized that the military issue was only OK.... I noticed when I was doing a LOT of work the Silva Ranger had some added bennies, like the ability to evaluate slope angle etc.

I have a 2 Silva's. The Ranger

And this: Silva Explorer 203
I use it as a back up and or when the wife and I are backpacking she carries it.

Light weight and inexpensive with quality usefulness.
http://store.silvacompass.com/products/345166/Explorer_203

PlatoCATM
04-22-11, 08:33
Are there any differences between the SWAT and normal versions of Cammenga lensatic compasses? It looks like maybe the SWAT version has tritium + phosphorescent illumination while the standard does not, but I can't find much information out there.

K.L. Davis
04-22-11, 09:45
Are there any differences between the SWAT and normal versions of Cammenga lensatic compasses? It looks like maybe the SWAT version has tritium + phosphorescent illumination while the standard does not, but I can't find much information out there.

I believe that the SWAT version is the same as the 3H version, only black - I am getting ready to do a group buy on the 3H and will talk to Cammenga today and make sure.

PlatoCATM
04-22-11, 13:02
I believe that the SWAT version is the same as the 3H version, only black - I am getting ready to do a group buy on the 3H and will talk to Cammenga today and make sure.

That's good news... was just going to purchase one. I hadn't even seen the SWAT version before. But if it has standard phosphorescent lum it might be worth it, I certainly don't want black if there are no additional features.

K.L. Davis
04-23-11, 10:50
The SWAT is just a black 3H version.

Dano5326
04-23-11, 14:35
Silva Ranger, unknown model, with 1-24000, 1-25000, 1-50000 scales Tritium inserts. 360 bezel. I was issued one once but have never seen that model again.

I would like to get a smaller non fold-type that has the above features and an adjust declination like the larger fold versions.

yankeefist
05-06-11, 21:10
Recta DP-10

though as nails and prismatic sighting - hands down the best compass I have ever used

blake g
05-09-11, 11:42
Suunto MC-2 Global

I like not having to worry about having the right compass for the region I'm operating in. I find the functions on the base very intuitive, useful, and easy to teach. Declination adjustment is a plus. The luminescence of the dial works just fine for night use. The clinometer is good for backcountry use. It's an easy to use piece of kit that doesn't seem to intimidate novice navigation students as much as other compasses seem to do.

I wouldn't mind having an MC-2 or a Silva Ranger set up in mils, though. That would be sweet!

I have a couple of older Rangers and 3 new MC-2G versions, all in mils. They really are sweet as you've speculated - mils are loads better thhan degrees...

bllake

warriorsociologist
05-15-11, 23:50
Mil. issue or Suunto MC-2 are my favorites.

Dave L.
06-03-11, 23:36
I carry a Silva Ranger everywhere I go because it's lightweight, but the Military Issue Lensatic is probably my favorite because it was the first compass I received formal training on.