PDA

View Full Version : Concealed carrying the M&P 9FS.

masternave
04-03-11, 20:57
I've been trying different holsters for the M&PFS, and I haven't found anything that's worked so far. If anyone out there is doing it, please post pics and details of how you are managing it. Thanks in advance.

rathos
04-03-11, 22:25
what sort of holsters are you looking for? IWB, OWB, Paddle or belt attached?

I have an NTAC kydex OWB belt attached I use under button down shirts when I have a TLR-1 attached. I have a blackhawk serpa paddle holster I use with open front garments like vests or an open 5.11 shirt. I have a VM2 style IWB and a Desibiens gunleather IWB #4 I use for deeper concealment, although I can conceal those beneath an untucked polo or t-shirt.

I will say that 99% of the time I use the Desibiens IWB #4. It takes up less room on my belt and hides very nicely, I can also use it as an appendix holster which I really like.

The thing I have learned is you have to dress around the gun vs trying to hide your gun with what you normally wear if you want to hide a bigger gun. I can take pictures if you want.

eightmillimeter
04-03-11, 22:33
Comp Tac MTAC if you want to go IWB
http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=95

Galco leather is OK enough for a belt holster.

Sensei
04-03-11, 22:42
Take a look at the Secret City Weaponeers K-25 here: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=67563

Avenger29
04-03-11, 22:59
I currently carry my M&P 9 in a C5 leather produced holster similar to a Milt Sparks VM2.

I do carry it more towards the 3 O'clock position rather than farther back as I find that it conceals a bit better that way (especially the end of the grip).

http://shop.c5leather.com/product.sc;jsessionid=5347BD317C0BE05ED1F506D755838CD4.qscstrfrnt02?productId=4&categoryId=1

Mags are in a double pouch also by him, but I do not like the orientation (i.e, the mags face in different directions)

In the past I have tried the Summer Spercial 2 by Milt Sparks and a kydex clone of such by bladetech for a Glock 17 and a CZ 75 Compact respectively and have found that I don't really care for that style, the narrow belt loop spacing does not work for me.

You may also consider a leather/kydex hybrid holster like the Comp-Tac Minotaur. Very comfortable, I'm told, and they have a very quick production time (they say 3 days)

TAZ
04-04-11, 09:33
Don't carry the MP much any more seeing as my wife refuses to let me :), but when I did it rode in a Comp-Tac Infidel IWB. Worked well for me in the TX heat and humidity. Sorry, but no pics to show you.

jwperry
04-04-11, 12:00
Comp Tac MTAC if you want to go IWB
http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=95

This is what I use as well, but with a neutral cant so I can carry it around 2 o'clock on my waistband.

I recently picked up a Raven ACR for my HK45 and can easily conceal the HK45. I plan on now picking one up for my M&P9 to replace my Minotaur.

For the record, I'm 5'10 with a 36" waist.

Irish10
04-04-11, 16:30
Another vote for the rig from Secret City. Gary Brommeland is one of the best in the biz, thin, comfortable and absolute concealment. I also use a Bulman TSAII which is a great IWB rig.

GermanSynergy
04-04-11, 18:18
I'm carrying a full size M&P 9 comfortably in a CCC Looper every day. Highly recommended kit.

Ironman8
04-04-11, 20:39
I carry the M&P9 FS in a Crossbreed Supertuck. I live in Texas, so I'm usually wearing light T-shirts, and have never had a problem concealing it in the 4:00 position. Just have to be sure not to bend over too much and I'm fine.

I will note, however, that different body types will yeild different results. I have broad shoulders and a small waist, so my T-shirts "hang" off of my waistline and help keep me from printing. Results may be different with bean poles or beefier guys...

BobM
04-04-11, 21:08
Right now mine is in a Sparks SS-II. I also use a Sparks 55 and, when carried with an attached light, a Raven Phantom, worn either IWB or OWB depending on the season.

PaulL
04-04-11, 21:42
I made a thread here (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=75169) showing my MTAC setup. This is my ultimate holster. I'll probably never use anything else. I've worn just about everything with this rig and never had a problem. That stiff plastic strut I added on the back pulls the butt in really well. I switched to the M&P from a 19, and I haven't noticed any more difficulty at all in carrying the slightly larger gun.

Good luck to you. I feel really good when I'm standing in a group of people who are all carrying LCPs or PM9s and I have a full size fighting handgun in my pants. (literally and figuratively) :D

outrider627
04-04-11, 23:11
Glad to read a few people are CCing a full size M&P. I think that's the way I'll be going soon. I was thinking of the Raven Concealment Phantom holster since many people have good things to say about them. Anyone else have something to say about the Phantom?

Kegger
04-05-11, 11:45
When I carry IWB, I carry mostly in a SSW K-25. The thing is awesome. Comfy, easy to wear, reduces printing greatly. I also use a Comp-Tac MTAC for the same reasons.

OWB I use a PCH Spada. Not the best holster for CC because it is very thick, but works decently under a baggy-ish shirt.

For reference, I'm 5'8" 155.

orionz06
04-05-11, 11:51
Where are you looking to carry it on your body? A holster that works at 1:30 may not work well at 3:00.

arcticlightfighter
04-05-11, 17:32
Strong side IWB carry of my full size MnP9 with a Crossbreed Supertuck with the metal belt clips.

It is absolutely the most comfortable IWB concealment hoster I have ever used.

Very secure as well. I just got back from trail riding my mountain bike and it rode fine.

I have a traditional Galco IWB that although is very well made, is extemely uncomfortable due to its bulk and lack of weight distribution.

subzero
04-05-11, 19:44
I have carried the M&P OWB in a Galco Concealable for a Glock. It sucked. OWB carry sucks.

I have carried IWB with a CCC Looper, a CCC Adjustable IWB and a UBG Canute (also for a Glock).

The Looper carried the gun very low, which I thought I liked until I did a weekends worth of drawing and reholstering for a class and it sucked. The holster allows for great concealability, but I couldn't get the gun out fast enough or with a good enough grip for my taste.

The Adjustable IWB was great, but being kydex, I never really warmed up to it. It's very thin, allows the user to adjust cant and ride height, and it's fairly inexpensive. It was a better option than many holsters on the market, IMO.

The Canute has been great. Good leather, I was able to remold it to my M&P and it has held up well over the last couple of years. Mine does not have the reinforced mouth, which helps keep it slim. It's design is very close to my favorite holster, the Milt Sparks Watch 6, but with slightly different belt loops.

Gren
04-05-11, 20:12
I use a mtac at around 4:00 with dress shirts tucked in. I have it adjusted to the 2nd from the bottom holes on the clips.

If I'm wearing a sweatshirt or light jacket all day I'll use the raven phantom at around 3pm.

For reference, I'm 6'2" 230lbs 38" waist.

VirginiaTactical
04-05-11, 21:06
I carry the M&P9 FS in a Crossbreed Supertuck. I live in Texas, so I'm usually wearing light T-shirts, and have never had a problem concealing it in the 4:00 position. Just have to be sure not to bend over too much and I'm fine.

I will note, however, that different body types will yeild different results. I have broad shoulders and a small waist, so my T-shirts "hang" off of my waistline and help keep me from printing. Results may be different with bean poles or beefier guys...

+1 on the crossbead. I carry a M&P PRO or a M&P compact with this holster. Great holster.

benw315
04-05-11, 23:12
I use a Comp-Tac Infidel for mine. I've been told there are better, more comfortable options out there but this one works for me. It's not expensive and it works for me.

mkmckinley
04-05-11, 23:33
I've had a Crossbread, Raven, Kramer, and Bladetech Nano. I still have the Bladetech and Raven, but I just use the Raven for OWB range work when I don't feel like working from concealment. The Nano is the best IWB holster I've ever used. It's stable but the thinner kydex has just a little more give than the Raven. It's also slightly thiner but I don't know if it's enough to be noticeable. The Kramer was great but the I decided I like kydex better than leather. The least comfortable for me was the Crossbread. It was fine when walking around but it was too stiff when I had to sit in the car.

G34Shooter
04-06-11, 11:32
I use an Occidental Leather Phoenix IWB which works very well for both my FS9 and 9c. Comfortable, well made and will ship in less than 2 weeks.

http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad251/SShenaniguns/99207cc7-1.jpg

http://www.ttgunleather.com/catalog/i72.html

BCmJUnKie
04-06-11, 11:53
Ive had no problem concealing a full size pistol. The XD was a little more of a challenge. I carry a M&P IWB. Blackhawk holster

TXBob
04-06-11, 15:56
Another vote for the MTAC. I can even carry my behemoth Beretta96 IWB.

You'd be surprised how easy it is to conceal, even OWB with untucked T-shirt.

longball
04-06-11, 22:16
I carry a FS9 (3:30 position) in a leather IWB rig made by Jeff at Boomstick Holsters. It took a long time to break in (which he said it would), but since then it has been very good. He is also a member here. His username is the_fallguy.

DocGKR
04-07-11, 01:29
I carry an M&P full size. For IWB the Milt Sparks Heritage #1, the Kramer IWB #2, Alessi PCH, CCC Looper, Raven Phantom, and Fricke Seraphim work well for my needs. For OWB the Alessi DOJ open port, Kramer vertical scabbard, Raven Phantom, and Fricke Gideon Elite all work well--the Comptac belt holster is also OK.

bsf
04-09-11, 00:31
Just switched to M&P FS + TLR-1 in RCS Phantom LC. I have been tweaking it for 3 days. Currently, I wear it IWB at 3 o’clock, using the soft, snap loops mounted to the top hole. It now rides comfortably enough that I think I will be content enough with this setup to stick with it. I think the ride height is very good: not so high or low that the top or bottom bites me, and I can obtain a normal firing grip for a draw. As I found previously with kydex holsters, a heat gun and considerable tweaking was necessary to optimize fit for my body. For reference, I am 6’1, 185lb with 32” waist.

I am coming from almost a decade of carrying a USP45c IWB with a Milt Sparks VM-2. That is a darn comfortable combination.

Buckshot TX
04-10-11, 20:44
I've run a full-size M&P since they first arrived on the scene. I carry IWB strong-side & after going thru a good # of rigs (Comp-Tac, Raven, Sparks, etc...), I went over to the K-25 & don't foresee changing again.

Lumpy196
04-11-11, 18:23
I use a Comp-Tac Infidel for mine. I've been told there are better, more comfortable options out there but this one works for me. It's not expensive and it works for me.

I'be toyed with several Comp Tac holsters and pitched them all. They are overly bulky in design and the sweat shields give poor grip clearance.

There ARE much better choices, but cheap is popular.

SHULTZ
04-11-11, 18:30
I'm 5'10" 165lb, I regularly carry a M&P9 FS with a Raven Concealment Phantom LC with the IWB loops. It fits extremely close, very comfortable. I usually wear a light jacket overtop, however, seeing as its getting hotter now, 70 something here today, the jacket is out. Open carry? :secret:

RojasTKD
04-11-11, 23:53
I was looking at the Crossbreed Supertuck and the Comp-Tac Minotaur Spartan for my M&P 40. Then I ran into the Galco Kingtuk (under $50), and as I'm out of work currently and low on funds I decided to give it a try and save a little cash.

It should arrive in a day or two, we'll see how it works out.