PDA

View Full Version : I want to stipple my frame, here's my practice:

usarmy15t86
04-03-11, 23:28
So I picked up a Kahr CW9 a few weeks back and LOVE the gun. For some reason, I want to stipple a little index spot on one side (or both) for my thumb. I'm mainly looking to do it for indexing purposes, but I may stipple more of the grip to add a little more purchase to the pistol overall. So I practiced a couple of patterns on some PMAGs, so let me know what you guys think!

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5024/5587937070_8881562f39_b.jpg

This is the first pattern I played around with. I like it, it's not too rough, a little subtle. Each PMAG cutout/section took me about 4 minutes to do, and maybe 3 once I got the rhythm going. I did the 3 sections on each side, and the 3 on the front for a total of 30-45 minutes of work. Very pleased with the detail and the relative quickness of the stippling.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5093/5587344799_a9de3f4848_b.jpg

This one took quite a bit more work. I got tired after 25 minutes and only having one cutout done! It's a little rougher than the other pattern but not too aggressive. I think I'd like to use this on the main grip of the pistol.

So, what do you guys think? I'm happy with it, especially after a day of practice. I plan on playing around with more PMAGs before I decide to defile a frame, but I think I'm off to a good start. Just looking for some constructive criticism/praise! Thanks guys!

TehLlama
04-03-11, 23:46
I'm partial to that first one, and would sparingly use patches of the dot stippling to areas like the side-dustcover. Just me though... Not bad at all.

Guns-up.50
04-03-11, 23:46
Looks good to me. Good luck with your pistol. I did my M&p with little pratice and im happy with it you should be just fine. Just remember they are tools so if you screw up a little who cares as long as it works.

HaydenB
04-03-11, 23:48
VARY NICE!(Borat voice):) Especially for your first time!

one
04-04-11, 02:22
I've done about half or more of my P mags in a pattern identical to the bottom pic. You'll be amazed at how much more positive your grip on them is when you get all the squares done in.

The top one looks good to me. I don't know how to do the tree bark pattern. At least I've never attempted it.

Belmont31R
04-04-11, 02:28
The stippling done as lines tends be directional...meaning it only improves the grip when you go against the grain. With the grain can be slicker than than no stippling at all depending on the original surface.

The dot pattern will provide improved grip no matter how your skin rubs across it.

grimm
04-04-11, 10:28
Are you using a Harbor freight woodburing kit? It looks very good.

MookNW
04-04-11, 10:53
What temp wood burner are you guys using? I bought one from a hobby shop and it has little effect on pmag plastic without holding it on there for what seems like too long. Mine says 10 watts and I think the package claimed 600 degrees.

thopkins22
04-04-11, 13:41
Your patterns look fine, I prefer the small holes. Just remember to take your time and stop and take a few minutes before coming back if your find your concentration waning. Also understand that all the different plastics melt a little differently.

I used a $14 25 Watt Weller soldering iron. It worked just fine, there's no need to get really wrapped around the details here...you're just using something hot to melt plastic. They all get hot, just avoid the ones that are stronger and hotter.

Joeywhat
04-04-11, 13:49
What temp wood burner are you guys using? I bought one from a hobby shop and it has little effect on pmag plastic without holding it on there for what seems like too long. Mine says 10 watts and I think the package claimed 600 degrees.

Look for a 25 watt iron for general use. Lowes and Home Depot both carry some, Weller is the more abundant brand.

Magic_Salad0892
04-04-11, 17:42
I have the dot pattern stippled on one of my PS3 controllers.

Decided not to do it to the Glock....