PDA

View Full Version : barrels replacement

outlaw45
04-04-11, 04:55
I have a Rock River 16" mid length that I will be using mainly for varmint hunting. I'm thinking of upgrading the barrel. I'd like 1/2 minute groups with reloads or match ammo. What's a good 16" barrel?

hikeeba
04-04-11, 09:35
Which RRA midlength do you have now? Is it a standard 1:9 HBar, or do you have one of their Predator Pursuit rifles? Just curious...

For a starting point, take a look at Bravo Company's SS410 barrels, Superior Barrels, Ranier Arms UltraMatch, White Oak Armory, and Noveske. There are others out there, but those are the brands that come to my mind.

Luke_Y
04-04-11, 12:18
Half minute is asking allot but, HERE (http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=b-16lw-556&cat=158&page=1&search=&since=&status=) is a barrel with great potential accuracy with a profile that would be complimentary to hunting.

MistWolf
04-04-11, 13:01
I have a Rock River 16" mid length that I will be using mainly for varmint hunting. I'm thinking of upgrading the barrel. I'd like 1/2 minute groups with reloads or match ammo. What's a good 16" barrel?

What kind of groups are you getting now? It's possible that with the simple addition of free float handguards, you'll get the performance needed for vanquishing varmints with the existing barrel

outlaw45
04-04-11, 14:57
Yes it a 1/9 hbar, not a pursuit. Groups are ok, I thought a custom barrel maybe better. Not looking for a bull barrel either. I'm looking at shooting out to may 5-600 yards on steel, but hunting with it only to 2-300 yards. It has a FF light weight quad rail now. I think its Yankee Hill.

I shoot mostly 55gr, some reloads with 69gr. My three ARs now all have 1/9 tw. A lot of the barrels, like Noveske have 1/7. How do the lighter bullets shoot in these with this twist?

Also thinking about building a dedicated upper. Bravo upper reciever, rifle length FF rail, low profile gas block, with 16" barrel. I going to change out all the furniture to Magpul dark earth. I'm thinking of going with the Midwest Industies quad rail because I can get the rail in Dark Earth too and I think its pretty close to the Magpul color.

Thanks guys

Belmont31R
04-04-11, 15:02
I don't you are ever going to find an AR barrel that will guarentee you .5MOA or better. I think .75 to 1 MOA is a more releastic goal, and thats with a quality shooter, good ammo, and good conditions shooting off a bench.

With that said I don't think you can go wrong with any of the top brands...BCM SS barrels, Noveske, WOA, Centurion, and a few others I know Im missing.

I think you should look for a FF tube that is of a quality specification rather than how well the color matches the rest of your gun. These aren't barbie dolls.

MistWolf
04-04-11, 15:26
Since you're reloading, what kind of chamber and leade does your rifle have? If it has the extended leade like the 5.56 and you're seating your bullets to match 223 OAL, it may there's too much jump for accuracy. Backing off your loads and seating the bullets closer to the leade often gives better results. Rock River barrels have good enough accuracy that it's worth shooting and developing loads until you find what it's capable of

outlaw45
04-04-11, 15:48
Are the Midwest Industries rails not good quality? I've used LaRue in the past and like them. Since it's a predator/varmint gun I thought have the rail colored would be nicer than covering it up with colored rail panels. The black rifle tends to stick out when hunting in dry grasses or snow. I think the Dark Earth will break up the outline more.

Belmont31R
04-04-11, 15:55
If you're doing it for concealment purposes that is one thing. The way you sounded in your earlier post came across as you were trying to find "matching" colors for cosmetic purposes and not a real articulable need.

outlaw45
04-05-11, 11:14
Well I would like it all to match. I think it would look silly if it was all mis-matched.

jbsmwd
04-05-11, 12:12
Well I would like it all to match. I think it would look silly if it was all mis-matched.

Mis-matched colors will help breakup the outline and make the gun harder to see.

Sgt_Gold
04-05-11, 12:14

1\2 MOA is certainly doable, but you won't get there unless you go with the following:

Full HBAR barrel profile
Match grade ammo
Match chamber. SAAMI .223 or Wylde .223 will both work
Full free floated barrel

Go this route, handload, and you will got .5 MOA. Anything else and you're chasing the wifflepoof.

hikeeba
04-05-11, 12:42
I shoot mostly 55gr, some reloads with 69gr. My three ARs now all have 1/9 tw. A lot of the barrels, like Noveske have 1/7. How do the lighter bullets shoot in these with this twist?

Lighter bullets shoot fine out of 1:7. The lightest bullets, probably not so much. An example of lighter bullets through a 1:7 barrel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTJaNHjEa_k

To build on MistWolf's post, have you tried different bullet weights through your current setup besides 55 and 62? There may be a different weight or weights that you haven't tried that your barrel 'likes' better than others.

Stormrider
04-07-11, 15:47
I just sold an RRA middy rifle that would shoot the 52g Black Hills and HSM match ammo into 1 inch. So lighter bullets can shoot just fine in fast twist barrels

DirectDrive
04-07-11, 16:23
1\2 MOA is certainly doable, but you won't get there unless you go with the following:

Full HBAR barrel profile
Match grade ammo
Match chamber. SAAMI .223 or Wylde .223 will both work
Full free floated barrel

Go this route, handload, and you will got .5 MOA. Anything else and you're chasing the wifflepoof.
This is a good list ^^^
Good barrel ? What's your budget ?

Economy class : RRA stainless 16" HBAR 1/8 Wylde chamber (it's a Wilson)
I have one of these but I haven't shot it yet....I'm expecting it to be a shooter. $229 shipped (w/A2FH, FSB, cap and nut)

Next level : WOA or Black Hole Weaponry

outlaw45
04-07-11, 16:36
I haven't shot it in awhile, but did get it out to shoot yesterday. Just shot 55gr FMJ Ultramax. Anywhere from 1.25 to 2 inch groups at 100 yards. I'll try match ammo and reloads next time.

I'm looking at the next level of quality barrels. Should I get a bolt head spaced to the chamber when I get a barrel?

DirectDrive
04-07-11, 16:44
Should I get a bolt head spaced to the chamber when I get a barrel?
With WOA it's a $50 add.
On your mission, I would throw down the $50 for a fitted bolt.

bp7178
04-07-11, 16:59
Since you're reloading, what kind of chamber and leade does your rifle have? If it has the extended leade like the 5.56 and you're seating your bullets to match 223 OAL, it may there's too much jump for accuracy. Backing off your loads and seating the bullets closer to the leade often gives better results. Rock River barrels have good enough accuracy that it's worth shooting and developing loads until you find what it's capable of

I hope this isn't too much of a hijack, but I've been looking into reloading, and of course bullet seating depth came up. There are quite a few videos on it, www.ultimatereloader.com has been a huge source of information.

If I'm not mistaken, when it comes to overall length, the limiting factor with AR15s is the magazine. It almost seems as if your overall length is set more by what you can fit in the magazine as opposed to backing off the ogive .010-.015 from the throat.

DirectDrive
04-07-11, 17:33
If I'm not mistaken, when it comes to overall length, the limiting factor with AR15s is the magazine.
Correct, for the most part.

It almost seems as if your overall length is set more by what you can fit in the magazine as opposed to backing off the ogive .010-.015 from the throat.
You could set up some "single load" rounds that have their bullets seated out to the ideal length for your chamber.
The Wylde chamber, 6.5 Grendel chamber, (for example) get you close to optimum for magazine fed rounds.