PDA

View Full Version : P30 concealability?

Bogart
04-04-11, 08:14
Hello,

I'm currently waiting on my CWP to clear and in the meantime I've been looking at a couple of different options for a CCW. I'm seriously looking into getting the HK P30 after reading a lot of good things on here and handling one a couple of times (the ergonimics are great, IMO). My only concern I have with the gun is that I'm a fairly small guy (5'9" with a 29" waist). So my question for those of you who have (or preferably carry) a P30 is whether or not you think that I would be able to conceal it.

(And just for further info, I have looked at the P2000sk and didn't like the feel of it too much, and I've also looked at the USPc and like it, but still like the P30 more.)

Thanks!

LDM
04-04-11, 09:12
My H&K P2000 in 9mm has been my CCW for years.
I got a P30 in 40 S&W last year and it has really grown on me. I carried it a lot this past winter and frankly it is only a small degree between carrying the P2000 and P30. I am carrying the P30 more and more.
I do think the quality, fit, and style of the holster makes the difference. I have both inside and outside the waistband holsters, and it sorta depends on what I am wearing as which I use.
I can recommend the Comp Tac Minotaur for IWB.
A quality pancake OWB works well, too.

CyberM4
04-04-11, 10:05
You will have no problems carrying the P30. I've carried my for 2+ years. I'm 5'8'' where 32 or 31 waist jeans. I bought A RCS Phantom for it. I also carry my USPc SS 40 in a Comp Tac Paddle. I do have a Phantom on order.

parishioner
04-04-11, 10:08
You will have no problems carrying the P30. I've carried my for 2+ years. I'm 5'8'' where 32 or 31 waist jeans. I bought A RCS Phantom for it. I also carry my USPc SS 40 in a Comp Tac Paddle. I do have a Phantom on order.

Do you IWB the raven?

CyberM4
04-04-11, 10:17
No I carry OWB. I have carried it without a holster IWB with no problems.

grimm
04-04-11, 10:26
Hello,

I'm currently waiting on my CWP to clear and in the meantime I've been looking at a couple of different options for a CCW. I'm seriously looking into getting the HK P30 after reading a lot of good things on here and handling one a couple of times (the ergonimics are great, IMO). My only concern I have with the gun is that I'm a fairly small guy (5'9" with a 29" waist). So my question for those of you who have (or preferably carry) a P30 is whether or not you think that I would be able to conceal it.

(And just for further info, I have looked at the P2000sk and didn't like the feel of it too much, and I've also looked at the USPc and like it, but still like the P30 more.)

Thanks!

Just like the others have said, look at the P2000 as well (not the SK). It is a hair smaller and lighter than the P30. I have VM2s for both and they both fit each other's holster. For me, I found out that a good belt is the key. You can have a $200 holster with a $10 belt and it will not work. Don't skimp on the belt. A good inexpensive one is the Wilderness 5-stitch.

SteelDust
04-04-11, 10:37
5'10" 32" waist. Carry a P30 in a CompTac Minotaur, it took me a bit to find the "sweet spot", where I wouldn't print, which ended up being about 3:30.

Mr. Goodtimes
04-04-11, 11:50
I think you'll be ok if you get a good holster. I'm 6ft with a 32 in waste and have NO trouble at all concealing my P30 IWB or OWB (with a button up shirt).

The P30 and G19 are both similar sized handguns and IMO are a perfect size. They are small enough to easily conceal but large enough that they still feel like a real gun.

Bogart
04-04-11, 12:22
Thanks for the quick responses guys.

I've actually already been looking at the Minotaur MTAC (the 2 day turn around time looks much better than the wait time for a RCS) or possibly the appendix carry Minotaur holster. Speaking of, do any of you carry your P30 in an appendix carry holster or more in the 3:30-4:00 position?
And I'm not concerned about being able to conceal it in the winter. I know I won't have a problem then, but in the summer with shorts and a t-shirt would it still be concealable in an MTAC or something similar?

F-Trooper05
04-04-11, 13:30
The P30 conceals every bit as easily as a G19 IMO...

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k40/millert12005/DSCN0160.jpg

Kchen986
04-04-11, 13:45
Funny thing, I was contemplating summer carry last night, and wondered if I switch back to my G19 to enhance concealability...I took some pics, and decided in the end that the difference was negligible. Since I have been training on the P30 most of the winter, I'll stick with that.

I'm about 5' 11", 160lbs. The clothing pictured here is a little baggy, but it works.

jamaicanj
04-04-11, 21:32
I have carried a P30 in a mtac with no trouble.

Bogart
04-05-11, 20:15
Thanks for the responses guys, the P30 is still my first choice for a CCW and I feel better now about being able to conceal it.
And RCS and MTAC holsters have been mentioned so far (and I'm leaning toward trying the MTAC) but are there any others that any of you would recommend?

skyugo
04-05-11, 21:58
anybody got a pic of a P30 and a g19 side by side?
I'd always though the p30 was more G17 sized...

opmike
04-05-11, 22:50
anybody got a pic of a P30 and a g19 side by side?
I'd always though the p30 was more G17 sized...

See this thread:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=73075

John_Wayne777
04-06-11, 11:50
Thanks for the responses guys, the P30 is still my first choice for a CCW and I feel better now about being able to conceal it.
And RCS and MTAC holsters have been mentioned so far (and I'm leaning toward trying the MTAC) but are there any others that any of you would recommend?

I've been using one of the Secret City holsters for my M&P in T&E and it's been very comfortable. Atomic Dog also has some good holsters.

VolGrad
04-06-11, 20:45
Just a thought on the MTAC ....

Don't get me wrong I used to use one myself .... however, I much prefer the CTAC. They conceal and carry the same but the MTAC tends to close up a bit when you draw the pistol .... the leather folds in over the mouth of the holster. The CTAC stays open and has better retention.

I watched a guy shoot IDPA on Sunday with a MTAC and cringed every time he went to shove his HiPower back in the holster. It required him to actually start the muzzle in at an angle ... toward his body ... to push the leather backing out of the way. No thanks.

Besides .... the MTAC makes me sweat more than the CTAC. YMMV.

Bogart
04-07-11, 10:19
What are your thoughts on comfort between the MTAC and CTAC? I haven't tried either, but I can't imagine kydex feels very good after carrying day and day out. I could be wrong though, as a lot of people do carry kydex holsters IWB.

Kchen986
04-07-11, 10:28
Bogart, I prefer a full kydex holster. Built property, it isn't uncomfortable to carry. The MTAC's hybrid construction causes the leather to collapse--making it more difficult to reholster. In addition, the flex in the leather causes retention to vary, depending on how I'm seated or how tight I have my belt on. Sometimes when I draw, the gun is holstered a lot tighter than I'd like (I filed down my MTAC's retention nub, and the tightening screws are backed almost all the way out--sometimes the screws will fall out after a day of carrying).

YMMV.

Bogart
04-07-11, 22:09
So something like an RCS or one of Comp-tac's all kydex holsters may be better? I'm fairly new to IWB holsters, so there may be better ones that I'm missing.

steve126a
04-12-11, 14:13
I'm a small guy and I can't conceal my P30 very well unless I am wearing a big sweatshirt or jacket. I have a nice Crossbreed Supertuck for it which helps, but the handle still prints pretty good.

Bogart
04-14-11, 20:24
I'm a small guy and I can't conceal my P30 very well unless I am wearing a big sweatshirt or jacket. I have a nice Crossbreed Supertuck for it which helps, but the handle still prints pretty good.

Would you mind letting me know your height/weight for comparison, and also what kind of clothes you typically wear when carrying concealed? I'm afraid I might run into this same problem. :confused:

steve126a
04-14-11, 20:57
I'm about 5' 7", 165 lbs, athletic build. I typically wear slightly loose khakis or jeans and a t-shirt when carrying. The shirt is not overly loose, more on the form-fitting side.

I find that if I want to carry something with a larger capacity magazine, I often go with my P2000. It is smaller than the P30, but gives me 4-5 more rounds than my P2000sk.

1_click_off
04-14-11, 21:09
I carry mine with a TLR-2S in a LC raven with a Crossbreed gun belt. I am a little bigger than you at 225 5'11''. But unless you bend over and the grip sticks out from under your clothing, you are going to be ok. How many times have you ever looked at the person infront of you at the check out to see if he/she might be carrying? Most of the general public are not going to be looking at your waistline. You might start looking now that you will have a CCW permit. It just takes a little time to be self aware of your surroundings and adjust how you reach down to pick up the 12pack from the bottom rack or reach up for a roll of paper towels. Once you have a quaility holster and belt, the conceal part becomes easy. As mentioned before, the belt completes the package.

Magic_Salad0892
04-15-11, 11:33
My girlfriend conceals a P2000/P30 easier than a Glock 19.

I conceal a Glock 19 easier than both.

However, I've noticed that the P2000 sits better with me than the P30.

Might want to shoot a P2000 first. LEM trigger, V1 mainspring. Wasn't that Todd G's setup with the P30/HK45?

opmike
04-15-11, 13:58
How is she able to more easily conceal a larger handgun?

Kool Aid
04-16-11, 12:56
The P30 is not the easiest to conceal, but its manageable. The grip is a bit long, so holster placement is crucial to keep the butt from printing to the rear. I'm 6' 210 lbs, and carry my P30 & P30LS at 3:00 - 3:30 in an MTAC or UBG Striker. This position hides them reasonably well under a loose, dark-colored T-shirt. Lighter colors and tighter fits make it harder to conceal. For me, there is no noticable difference in concealability between the standard P30 and the L model. They are both mostly cold weather carries because the abrasive grip necessitates an undershirt between me and the grip.

Radioflyer
04-18-11, 23:25
I have a relatively small waist as well, but I'm able to conceal my P30 even with the RSS rail laser:

My Custom Comp-tac IWB rig: for when concealment may become a concern:(in top left)
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c200/radioflyer1986/misc/Arms/IMG_0984.jpg

My new OWB rig for wearing a regular sized un-tucked shirt:
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c200/radioflyer1986/misc/Arms/IMG_2021.jpg

The P30 conceals every bit as easily as a G19 IMO...

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k40/millert12005/DSCN0160.jpg

deeHKman
04-19-11, 20:25
Carrying to me all begins with a good holster and belt. Then simpley dress around it to a degree. I carry a USPc .40 in a R.Grizzle IWB holster. The holster is the best i have ever had by far it distributes the weigth very well. I carried a Glock 19 in a Galco N3 and worked well but this new system has me spoiled.

I have several USP's and the compact i carry. I will rotate carry with my HKc when i get my holster. Yes the P30 can be carried as easy as a G19 again holster and belt are critical, plus carrying any HK would be worth it, ;)

Any of you want to see a Glock 19 and HKc i'll put a link here its a very good comparsion, d

Magic_Salad0892
04-20-11, 01:59
How is she able to more easily conceal a larger handgun?

She wears tight jeans with looser jackets, and the larger pistol doesn't get ''lost'' on the draw, and seems to be more comfortable. The Glock 19 digs into her right ass cheek. Where as the P30/2000 sits just higher for her.

For her, it's more in the shape.

The rear of the slide which is blocky hurts her when she wears high heels, or boots. The HK doesn't due to how it sits, regardless of it being (IMO) just as blocky as the Glock.

I suspect it's because of the holster, because my Glock holster doesn't seem to agree with her figure. Think 5'6'' 115 lbs. or so.

Bogart
04-20-11, 08:09
Thanks again for the responses guys. Lots of good info here. Found out that my permit cleared but I've still gotta wait a few weeks to pick it up. In the mean time I'm still just looking around at pistols and holsters. I'm still pretty much sold on the P30, but the issue of holsters is still leaving me confused. :confused: Leather or Kydex...or hybrid? Still gonna need some more looking around on that one.
Thanks again for all the input!