PDA

View Full Version : "Flare" for backpack

Rezarf2
04-04-11, 10:35
I am looking for a viable option to carry a few "pen" style flares in my backpack for signaling. I play in the high country of Colordado and venture off trail a lot to explore and have fun. I also spend a lot of time each summer four wheeling in the high country as well.

I would like to add a few flares to my kit that will be light and not take up too much space. I have seen "pen" flares but have been unable to source them in a hand-held/fired application.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance-

SeriousStudent
04-04-11, 20:47
How about this?

http://www.bestglide.com/signal_flare_kit.html

Hope that helps.

Tortuga
04-06-11, 08:12
http://truflareusa.com/productcatalog.htm

Flares are a great signaling tool...but don't forget the longer-lasting signals (visable strobe, signal mirror, ability to build a smoke generator).

tiger seven
04-06-11, 11:57
I carry one of the Orion Pocket Rocket kits. Works great, but remember to hold it well away from your head and use your other hand to cover the ear that's closest to it when firing. Little bastard is LOUD! ;)

Derek

SuperiorDG
04-06-11, 12:48
I too live in Colorado and have been almost stuck out in the back county a few time. I prefer to hike alone and where there aren't too many people. I carry the in my go Bag / day pack the Orion aerial flare (http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_11151_10001_163226_-1?cid=chanintel_google&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=163226).
Have not used it yet, but I would hate not to have it if needed.

SeriousStudent
04-06-11, 19:37
http://truflareusa.com/productcatalog.htm

Flares are a great signaling tool...but don't forget the longer-lasting signals (visable strobe, signal mirror, ability to build a smoke generator).

Absolutely agree, sir. The great thing about a signal mirror is that it never runs dry. There have been documented cases of people rescued who routinely "swept" the horizon. An aircraft was out of earshot, but noticed the flash and investigated.

I have a signal mirror and a whistle with me whenever I am wandering about the countryside.

Thanks for the link, that looks very promising.

kmrtnsn
04-06-11, 21:51
Having done a bit of search and rescue I'd say you'd be much better served with a strobe and a Mylar reflective blanket of some type to serve as a backing reflector (and keep you toasty). A pen flare is visible for seconds and for only a comparatively short distance compared to a strobe. A pen flare might also only give you a half dozen "exposures" whereas a strobe can flash for hours.

kermit4161
04-07-11, 09:21
Having done a bit of search and rescue I'd say you'd be much better served with a strobe and a Mylar reflective blanket of some type to serve as a backing reflector (and keep you toasty). A pen flare is visible for seconds and for only a comparatively short distance compared to a strobe. A pen flare might also only give you a half dozen "exposures" whereas a strobe can flash for hours.

Not to mention the potential fire risk involved. You could really be up a creek if you get caught up in a wildfire.

One other item to add to the mirror/mylar blanket is a green laser signal device. You'll get excellent range and can use it at nighttime too (it works in the daytime also). They pack up small and last a long time. Just pack some extra batteries in your pack. They are getting very inexpensive these days too.

tiger seven
04-07-11, 11:15
Excellent points guys! Always smart to have a multilayered approach to these things. I also carry a signal mirror, Mylar "space blanket" and a section of VS-17 panel. Don't have a strobe, but I'll add that to my shopping list.

Derek

Tortuga
04-07-11, 15:23
a section of VS-17 panel.

The weight weenie in me caused me to dump the VS-17 and start carrying a section of orange parachute canopy.

SeriousStudent
04-07-11, 21:50
The weight weenie in me caused me to dump the VS-17 and start carrying a section of orange parachute canopy.

Most of the survival Mylar blankets have an orange signal coating on one side.

So do you carry both? Or just shy away from the blankets? I know a lot of those blankets are not very durable at all.

Thanks very much, it's always great to pick an instructor's brain. :)

Tortuga
04-08-11, 05:50
Most of the survival Mylar blankets have an orange signal coating on one side.

So do you carry both? Or just shy away from the blankets? I know a lot of those blankets are not very durable at all.

I carry both. I don't want to have to break down my hooch or sleeping system to put out a signal. I use a lot of MPI survival blankets. They aren't the lightest and most compact, but they are tough enough to use as a shelter, ground tarp, fire reflector, etc. I keep red ones in the vehicles, but I use the green ones (and sometimes rattle can them tan or gray) for the field.

http://www.lawsupply.com/Medical_Supplies/First_Aid_Kits%2CSupplies/Blankets/8113

tiger seven
04-08-11, 12:54

I cut my VS-17 panel in half (which is why I referred to it as a "section") to shed some weight, but parachute canopy is a great idea. Thanks!

Derek

91Bravo
04-08-11, 16:19
Years ago Practical Sailor magazine did a test of flares and found that the little pen flares nearly worthless. 1/3 of them didn't fire, fresh from the store. The light lasts only seconds and doesn't go very high. If you insist on humping flares the Paines Wessex SOLAS flares are the only way to go. Offshore sailboat races require them. But they're big and heavy and expensive. For SAR work I suppose they make sense. One needs to carry two kinds, the parachute ones for attracting attention and the handheld flares for point location. The handhelds make enough smoke that you don't need to carry smoke flares for helo extraction.

My idea as a long distance backpacker is to use the strobe on my Petzel headlamp at night and the mirror on my Silva Ranger compass in daylight. I recently saw a military surplus strobe (ACR brand) at a gun show. I may do that next.

Tortuga
04-08-11, 17:04
For SAR work I suppose they make sense. One needs to carry two kinds, the parachute ones for attracting attention and the handheld flares for point location. The handhelds make enough smoke that you don't need to carry smoke flares for helo extraction.

I recently saw a military surplus strobe (ACR brand) at a gun show. I may do that next.

I like pencil flares to mark an exact location regardless of weather or light conditions through a canopy. Not very versatile, but effective nonetheless. parachute flares are a good option, as long is it's not in forest or other fire prone environments.

I've only carried a smoke when tactically neccessary For survival use, making a smoke generator out of conifer boughs or burning a petroleum product has the same result and lasts longer.

hatidua
04-18-11, 21:42
In light of the fires we had in CO last year, and the lack of rainfall so far this year, please think twice before launching any flares. Get a SPOT device (and register it), couple that with a dose of common sense, and hopefully we won't have a repeat of last year. I had to evacuate twice due to wildfires last year and the notion of someone touching off aerial flares in this state makes me cringe.