PDA

View Full Version : .223 in a CAR

badness
04-04-11, 14:04
With everyone saying these days how a CAR is not the most ideal due to the fact that a 16.5" barrel with a carbine length gas system puts too much pressure back into the chamber, what do you guys think if one were to strictly use .223 ammo through their CAR?

As i understand it, the 5.56 round has a higher pressure than .223, so if one were to shoot only .223 through their rifle, do you folks think that would decrease wear and tear on the gas rings and whatever else gets worn down?

IF this would reduce the amount of pressure put back into the gun, what would the negative effects be of shooting .223 over 5.56 besides a loss in velocity?

PlatoCATM
04-04-11, 14:36
The pressure is on the BCG. As far as wear and tear on your rifle you may not ever shoot enough rounds to determine a difference. If you do shoot 5.56 and something breaks 10k rounds later, will you attribute it to the higher pressure ammo? As long as your gun runs with the ammo and is reasonably accurate for what you need it to do, then use whatever ammo you find affordable. Use a lot of it in high round count sessions and then report back to tell us about your rifle/ammo combination. The biggest difference between carbine and middy is the perceived recoil, and within the two systems experienced shooters can tell when a higher pressure ammo is being shot.

Iraqgunz
04-04-11, 14:42
I think that there is too much thinking going on here.

badness
04-04-11, 14:53
I think that there is too much thinking going on here.

yeah. I tend to come up with these crazy questions when i'm sitting at my desk at work not being productive. *sigh* :suicide2:

Belmont31R
04-04-11, 14:57
Unless Im missing something most of the wear happens on wear items which should be replaced at regular intervals or if broken. I wouldn't change my ammo selection to put off a slight amount of wear to the gun. I don't even think the difference could really be quantified since every gun is different.

markm
04-04-11, 15:49
what do you guys think if one were to strictly use .223 ammo through their CAR?

Fine with me. You're worrying about nothing.... I mean... if you think the gun is running too hard with 5.56 ammo, put an H2 buffer in it.

Or better yet... buy an A5 buffer system from Vltor and shoot whatever you want. You can smooth out a gun's operation by installing an A5.... Especially a carbine gassed gun.

Magic_Salad0892
04-04-11, 17:56
VLTOR's A5 system is a good fix for a 16.1'' system with CAR gas.

Though, I tend to believe that a good MFG's CAR system with 16.1'' barrel will run reliably with both 5.56N, and .223REM.

I don't see a need for any aftermarket parts.

IG was right, too much thinking. Not enough shooting.