PDA

View Full Version : Bicycles and prepping.

bigshooter
04-04-11, 18:35
Spring is in the air in the north country and I'm getting excited to take my bikes (motorized and non) out for the first time in months.

Initially I purchased my trek 6500 as a way to stay in shape but also as a way to escape my densely populated current hometown in the event that auto's (for whatever reason) became inoperable.

Anybody else incorporate bicycles into their alternate transportation preps?

PlatoCATM
04-04-11, 21:17
I've considered using my bike for this, even thought about setting it up to go camping along a long bike trail. I just never got around to adding features amenable to camping or hauling stuff other than myself. My water bottle cage even fell off on a ride and I never bolted it back on because I don't use it. Bikes are the best way to travel under human power, so I may rethink it.

Czecher
04-04-11, 21:55
If you don't already have one, it might be worth looking into a used Burley trailer to stash the gear. I have one of the twin seat versions and although my youngest kid has nearly outgrown it I plan to keep it for a long time. They make several sizes and they are all good.

They are well made. They fold into a reasonable space and most importantly they are rated at 100lbs. I've used it to haul groceries and bags of dirt form the hardware store and they are great for stuff like that. I wouldn't be surprised if it could hold twice its rating. Beats the heck out of wearing gallons of milk on your back. Keeps the center-of-gravity nice and low.

They would, however, be a major anchor if you have to resort to single-tracks to get to your destination. If you have normal sized trails they work great. Anything technical and you're hosed.

I could see some advantages to using to a trailer if fuel becomes a problem

People typically ditch these things once the kids grow out of them. You can sometimes see them on Craigslist. The trouble with ebay is the shipping fees. You're better off finding one locally whenever possible.

Just something I thought of.

RWBlue
04-04-11, 23:12
Yes, I ride.

Last year I rode a 184 mile trail.

I highly recommend getting a bicycle. It is good for getting in shape, getting away from people (non-SHTF), and I find I can ride into areas where I am not allowed to drive and is too far to walk.

The down side:
I have not figured out how to ride with a full backpack. I have bags for the bike, but they don't convert to a backpack. I have backpacks, but they do not work while riding. I have talked to people who have trailers, no one loves their trailer.....but I will get a trailer sooner or later.

Combat_Diver
04-05-11, 10:28
Depending on your location a tricycle with rear basket might be easier. Couriers still use these on waterfronts.

CD

Czecher
04-05-11, 10:56
Don't forget the front wheel when turning your bike into a mule. I have a Blackburn Lowrider front rack that can be used in concert with rear rack systems to get a little more cargo space. These lowriders keep the bags low on the wheel which improves handling. Especially important on the steering end.

There is no top shelf on this front rack which intentionally prevents you from making a top-heavy load and messing up the center of gravity.

They sometimes require a little creativity if you have front suspension shocks.

The higher the weight the more miserable the ride. Strive for a low CG.

bigshooter
04-05-11, 14:47
The thing I've found while looking for load bearing attachments is they just aren't rated for very much. most are rated under #20 and it makes me think riding with a pack or getting a small trailer as mentioned above would be optimal.

Went riding for the first time this year last night, GF just got a new Trek... was a good time.

I did just order a sealed front hub and 185mm hydro brake assembly for mine. A bunch of gear plus myself (240lbs) down hill extended breaking, I think would destroy the stock calipers.

Czecher
04-05-11, 20:18
Google BOB trailers for yet another concept. These trailers use a single wheel rather than the twin wheel design of the Burley. The single wheel had obvious advantages for off-road/single track areas. They are rated for a little less capacity...70# I believe but still pretty good. A bit tough to strap a kid onto it however!

A nice option but harder to find on the second-hand market. Trek, Schwinn and others have competing trailer products that would work probably just as well.

I have pulled two full 5 gal water cooler bottles from the hardware with no issues. They ride like little kids. It's good to know this could be used in more difficult times if a known potable water source was miles away. It's a quiet way to travel and uses no fuel.

The trouble with strapping things on your back becomes apparent once you hunch forward over the bars for any extended period of time. It works for a while but gets old quick. It also make handling way more unstable with the gear up there.

pmarc
04-06-11, 14:22
I have bags for the bike, but they don't convert to a backpack. I have backpacks, but they do not work while riding.

Try looking at the DIY Tactical forum.

Some people there are bikers too, and now how to work with cordura. Maybe you can have something custom made to you.

kermit4161
04-07-11, 09:14
Don't forget that one of the best ways to utilize your bicycle is as a platform for hauling gear while walking along side of it.

It might not be as fast as riding, but you'll be able to transport a lot more gear/supplies by using it as a mule than if you were actually riding it out. Just another way of looking at the bike. Mine is going with me on the back of my Jeep until the Jeep no longer functions... then it goes with me.

Tortuga
04-07-11, 15:32
Don't forget that one of the best ways to utilize your bicycle is as a platform for hauling gear while walking along side of it.

http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff494/Tortuga71/bikestrail.jpg

Worked for these guys for years.