PDA

View Full Version : KAC EMC/EMR

Shane45
04-04-11, 20:12
Maybe my search fu is weak but I cant find any details on the difference between the two. Obviously the stock is different and the barrel length. Other than that? Is the R a chrome lined barrel like the C? What else?

Regards,
Shane

OTO27
04-04-11, 22:05
EMRs barrel is not dimpled and has no flash hider.

Belmont31R
04-04-11, 22:34
That and keep in mind you can't put a M110 flash hider on the EMR just in case you get any intentions of making a M110 clone.

Not sure on the CL part.

I don't think the EMR has the enlarged ejection port the EMC has but KAC likes to change things around within model numbers.

Shane45
04-05-11, 10:12
The real motivation is that here in Jersey, it seems like it would be easier to make an EMR into a jersy legal emc than an EMC into a Jersyized EMC. With the EMR I could cut the barrel down and thread it to fit a Surefire, pin it and be done. But if the barrel is chrome lined, that would be a plan killer. But if there is other Mojo in the EMC I'm not aware of, then a better plan may need to be devised :D

Belmont31R
04-05-11, 10:19
The real motivation is that here in Jersey, it seems like it would be easier to make an EMR into a jersy legal emc than an EMC into a Jersyized EMC. With the EMR I could cut the barrel down and thread it to fit a Surefire, pin it and be done. But if the barrel is chrome lined, that would be a plan killer. But if there is other Mojo in the EMC I'm not aware of, then a better plan may need to be devised :D

I would never hack up an EMR to shorten it to EMC length.

Shane45
04-05-11, 10:46
Well.... Im not a fan of 20" barrels. So it would be getting lopped off either way. I have an MWS 16" and a SCAR17 16". I just dont see the need to carry the extra weight for no real advantage. But thats an entirely different thread topic :D I was actually thinking 18 + brake.

Belmont31R
04-05-11, 10:52
I think it would be easy to screw up. You can't just take 4" off a barrel, and expect it to run right. You'd be lucky to get the gun running reliably in my opinion...especially since its running a rifle gas system. You'd want to try to find out the EMC gas port size at very least.

Shane45
04-05-11, 11:31
I better put my hacksaw away then ;) I understand the gas system issue although I think from 20 to 18 wouldnt even need any port adjustment.

koz
04-05-11, 14:35
You might call/e-mail KevinB and see if they'll make you an EMC with a fixed stock.

Shane45
04-05-11, 14:40
The more I look into this the more options that seem to turn up. It probably would be just as easy to rethread the EMC barrel to standard threads and just pop a battlecomp on there. The stock is easy to pin, not worried there. Its getting the barrel compliant thats a bit tricky here. Still would like to hear about any big differences between the two :)

KevinB
04-05-11, 15:11
Surefire and AAC make brakes that work with our 3/4-24 thread on the EMC, as well we will be releasing the 762MAMS brake shortly.

The EMR is not chrome lined, so if you wanted to you could chop it to 16" and re-thread -- you should not need to open the gas port. But the biggest issue is very very few people have the tools to work on SR-25's, and I've seen more than 1 gun buggered up by an otherwise competant AR builder who thought they knew more about SR's than they did.

wileecoyote
04-06-11, 23:31
as well we will be releasing the 762MAMS brake shortly.

Absolute music to my ears, I can't wait for you guys to release the MAMS as I am in NJ and need to pin that on so I can get my rifle ASAP! If I understood some of the other posts the MAMS is a brake only, no flash suppression correct?

KevinB
04-07-11, 11:17
It flash suppresses better than some brakes, but its not a dedicated flash suppressor.

Belmont31R
04-07-11, 11:19
Idea on cost?

KevinB
04-07-11, 11:22
We priced it to Crane, so I just need to work out dealer and retail pricing now -- however I'm rather swamped with .gov work so I dont know when I will be able to work on it.

tony549
04-12-11, 20:54
Cutting the barrel will affect the operation of the rifle. The pressure at the gas port will be reduced somewhat. However this could be compensated by the addition of a muzzle brake.
I had a muzzle brake installed on my SR-25 Light Match and that caused it to become over-gassed, with resultant early bolt opening and ejector swipes plus bent rims on the Federal brass I was using. I had to put in Slash's heavy buffer to compensate and it works fine now.