PDA

View Full Version : Stoner SR-25 Target

taliv
09-26-07, 14:33
I have an opportunity to buy an unfired target model, but I don't know much about them. I don't even know what I don't know.

I'd welcome any feedback on these questions, and also, what questions should i be asking?

What would be a reasonable price? I see some of them offered on various auction sites, but I don't see what they're actually selling for.

I'm not a collector, and if I buy it, I'll shoot it a lot. Are these rare enough that shooting a previously unfired one and putting normal wear and tear on it would be considered some sort of blasphemy?

Would the industry professionals consider this a hard use gun? even the "target model"? I assume I should expect better reliability than other 308 cal AR variants, but I really have no idea. (I did notice the stake job on the key missed one screw entirely, which kind of surprised me)

thanks,
-tom

KevinB
09-26-07, 16:00
What year?
The target is just the early version with a 24" bbl and the composite FF handguard. Most I've seen are good guns.

You can always rebarrel it easy enough - and get a URX for it.

I'd shoot it. But then I shoot a lot of collector type guns, as i won't own a gun I dont shoot - even if its just a few rounds a year.

taliv
09-26-07, 16:12
made in Jan '94 (8 mo before The Ban, I believe)

KevinB
09-27-07, 18:15
It will have some collectability to some, and desireability to others.

SR-25's are fairly rare - I've been looking for one for a while. Though I feel the extra 4" of barrel on the targets is wasted weight.

Everyone put out a lemon now and then - the staking was an oversight, not acceptable, but rectifiable.

As for cost - I dont really have an answer here for you. I know what KAC's retail, dealer and .gov pricings are -- but since they are backordered civilian guns are not happening, so that pricing point is rather moot.

LAWMENS
10-01-07, 08:58
I am a Knight's dealer and may be able to help you out with some info. The SR-25 match rifle is the rifle that gave KAC it's name for accuracy. They have made it a known fact that every rifle will shoot 1 MOA out of the box, also that rifle will never be made again with the 24" barrel. So it definitly has some resale value, and every gun has been fired by KAC for quaility assurance. Typically a low use SR-25 match rifle will usually go between $3500-5000. It really depends on what the gun as on it.

taliv
10-01-07, 09:18
yep, the test target that came with it has a .6 and change inch group. not bad at all.

what do you mean by "what the gun as on it?" if you mean accessories, this one is pretty well bare. no bipod, sights, sling, etc.
edit: what i meant to ask was... what factory accessories might you find on one?

thanks a bunch (to both of you) for the info!

LAWMENS
10-01-07, 09:23
Honestly I have no idea what factory items would come on that it was before my time here.

taliv
10-01-07, 18:47
well, it followed me home today :)

thanks again for the info.

SHIVAN
10-01-07, 21:53
Yeah? Pics? :D

Jager
10-02-07, 00:17
In 1998 mine came from the factory with: ten round magazine, 2 stage match trigger, shell deflector, 30mm rings, cleaning rod, and bore guide. At that time retail was $2995, wholesale was $2495, and there was a Shot Show special for $2200. It shoots at or close to half MOA if I do my part.

Hoplite
10-04-07, 21:52
The bench on which SR25's were accuracy tested at Knight's Vero Bch. 100yrd.
168GR REM BTHP box in background. M118LR was used depending on the contract.

http://i24.tinypic.com/2hn0uhz.jpg

Hoplite
10-04-07, 22:02
Since we all love pics;
Found this old pic of SEAL MOD O's going thru 200rd function test from prone.
Notice pile of brass to right. Makeshift cushion on shooters shoulder. Was not fun.

http://i21.tinypic.com/119v4zk.jpg

taliv
10-05-07, 08:10
very interesting. thanks for sharing!

Hoplite
10-05-07, 16:47
No problem. I've got some other KAC pics somewhere, I'll try to dig them up.

Crash
10-15-07, 19:12
Taliv,

Just wondering if you are going to update us with some photos?

Here is one of mine. I'm not exactly sure on the manufacturing date, but I updated it with the URX and am currently waiting on the S&B scope.
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r193/Crash_1/MySR25-2.jpg

What I'm struggling with currently is if it would be better to send back to the factory to have the M110 barrel/suppressor installed, or just wait and purchase the M110 outright.

LonghunterCO
10-15-07, 19:18
How easy/hard was the handguard change out?

Crash
10-15-07, 20:13
I sent mine to MSTN to have Wes do it. It requires a proprietary barrel wrench. Not exactly ideal, and I would probably go with a Vltor VIS on a 5.56 rifle.

taliv
10-15-07, 20:40
crash, i have been traveling a bit. will get around to it fairly soon. i'm thinking of waiting til i put glass and a can on it though.

III
10-15-07, 22:14
What type of wrench does the VIS require?

Crash
10-15-07, 22:36
At the risk of getting off topic. The VIS is pictured here:
Image from VLTOR's website: http://www.vltor.com/vis.htm
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r193/Crash_1/VIScarbinekit-small-ff.jpg

Notice that the barrel wrench comes with the monolithic upper. Now, keep in mind that I am not an engineer, and could not give any valuable insight into whether or not one locks up any better than the other, but from an end user perspective the VIS seems friendlier.

I think the ideal rail would be a combo of the two. Think a monolithic upper, with KAC front flip up sight and I also prefer how KAC mounts the lower rail. Add to that a nice barrel with KAC barrel extension for the E3 bolt and you would have a fantastic product. It would also make it much easier to swap out barrels, which would increase demand for your bolts as they would have to be matched to the barrel extension. (Not that you will have any problems with demand for your bolts.)

URX4 ;)

taliv
10-15-07, 22:55
pretty neat, but i don't plan on putting anything other than the can and bipod on the front of mine, and the sling swivel will take care of the bipod, so no need for forearm rails for me. on the top, I'll be putting glass and a level. pretty straight forward.

taliv
10-16-07, 09:20
here's a couple pics of the gas block area for starters

VooDoo6Actual
12-13-07, 17:35
Any reccomendations for whom to contact to shorten and crown a SR25 Match barrel ?

Thank you

VA_Dinger
01-18-08, 15:33
Any reccomendations for whom to contact to shorten and crown a SR25 Match barrel ?

Thank you

That's a good question.

Who does this type of work?

SHIVAN
01-18-08, 16:12
GA Precision, ADCO, and Patriot Arms would be my first guesses...

Tim_FL
02-19-08, 21:04
Congrats !!! Beautiful rifle !

kbi
02-24-08, 21:03
Congrats on the new stick Taliv.