PDA

View Full Version : sig p226 vs hk usp full size

ilikeguns111
04-04-11, 22:08
Which is better a sig p226 vs a hk usp? Both in 9mm.

Which would you choose if you life depended on it?

As a shtf gun?

Which is more accurate? Reliable?

deeHKman
04-04-11, 22:14
My Sigs are all gone but my HK's are still with me. The 226 has a good reputation but very lttle to any can match a HK to me. I like the older 226's if i went that way but not a chance, just one guys opinion.

CloakandDagger
04-04-11, 22:29
If I could only have one of my pistols as a do everything gun it would be my USP45. HK designed them as a full size service pistol with reliability and durability in mind.

I also like to carry my guns cocked an locked.

pointblank4445
04-04-11, 22:36
If you want my "if my life depended on it" ranking from first choice to last:
1) Glock (cause my life depends on my Glocks)
2) Old W German Sig 226
3) HK USP
4) New US Sig 226

Both guns are very accurate and reliable.

I think some of the older, refurbished for $350 years ago. It had seen some hard use, and has seen several thousand rounds by me and is still incredibly accurate. It is probably my second-most reliable pistol. I have not been a fan of the fit/finish/performance of the newer Sigs i've handled given the money paid for them

I have not had an HK in 9mm, but the .40 and .45's I've had were (key word there) also very accurate. The weight, feel and price are usually the big turn-offs for the USP. The first time I picked up a USP 45, I thought "this feels like shit", but I could not deny that I was consistently hitting clay pigeons (stationary) from standing, unsupported at 25y with a gun I had zero experience with. Shortly after I bought my own, but rarely shot it because I never got used to the feel and weight despite the fact that I am a large guy with large hands.

If you haven't handled both, you need to. It would help if you got to use each, but you know what you like from the feel.

mattjmcd
04-04-11, 22:39
There is more I'd want to know before offering any kind of recommendation. Do you plan on carrying this hypothetical handgun? Is it for duty or ccw? What sort of manual of arms do you favor- traditional DA/SA or something like DAK or LEM? I'm not sure if the P226 is offered in DAK format, but I *think* USP's can be had with LEM. Anyway, more info is needed here I think.

TheGreenRanger24
04-04-11, 22:55
If I were you, I would look up what is thought of recent made Sigs around here and I would also look up the HK P30 if looking for a 9mm HK. fwiw

S-1
04-04-11, 23:35
Personal preference.

Both are reliable, accurate and durable.

Striker
04-04-11, 23:59
As stated above, both are accurate, reliable and durable. I have a Sig P226 and I really like the weapon. It's extremely accurate and a joy to shoot. In 9mm, I'm a Sig or Glock guy, but HK makes an excellent weapon.

If you're going to shoot different calibers and you want to stay with the same brand, I recommend HK. I think they make a great shooting 9mm and .45 I would, however,, look at the P30 if your going HK. The USP is a great shooting gun, but has always felt awkward to me. I shoot it fine, it's just not comfortable. The P30 takes care of the ergo problem.

I love the Sig P226, but Sig's quality control has been suspect in recent years and that makes me a little nervous If I buy a new 226, I want it to shoot as well, be as durable as and as accurate and reliable as my German 226. I don't believe this is unreasonable as they set the standard. Also Sigs need aftermarket sights.

Shoot all of them a lot and see what works best for you and your situation. In answer to your question though, in 9mm, for me Sig P226 or Glock 17 with a match grade barrel.

opmike
04-05-11, 00:56
Rent/borrow/shoot both guns.

See which one you prefer.

Buy it.

I'd note that Sig has had an alleged decline in quality control, so you may want to consider an older P226.

But again, assuming you're dealing with quality examples, these types of comparison threads are silly are they are too subjective. Especially with such vague criteria.

Rob_0811
04-05-11, 08:16
I use the SIG P226.

I can't stand the trigger on the USP.

You need to shoot them both and see for yourself. What works for me might not work for you.

DYI01
04-05-11, 08:37
Ergonomics sealed the deal for me. I have smaller hands and the USP I shot had a HUGE grip, I never really felt comfortable with it. I ended up going with the 226. The p30 on the other hand is a whole different story though. IMO it is probably the most ergonomic pistol on the market today. Go to a range and shoot both, throw a P30 into the mix and make your decision then.

Cosmo M3
04-05-11, 12:25
Curious as to why the HK P30 wasnt mentioned in your original post.

US Sig P226 < HK USP

W. German P226 = HK USP

HK P30 > HK USP

pursuit0226
04-05-11, 17:12
I have a Sig 226R 9mm, HK P2000 9mm and a USPc 45. All of them are totally reliable and I would have no problem with any of them being the weapon I found myself in a fight with. I like my DA trigger on the Sig the best but like the handling and feel of the HK's better than the Sig. I will tell you that the Sig in the most intuitive of the 3. Everything is right where it would be if I designed a pistol. The fact that both HK's fit in my concealed carry holster is what keeps the HK's in the small safe by the bed and the Sig in the big safe in the closet.

My suggestion is to shoot them both and buy what feels best to you. What ever you choose will be solid, reliable and last longer then either of us.

lloydkristmas
04-06-11, 01:05
USP, no doubt.

I have way more confidence in the older Sigs than I do in the newer ones, but even my old West German P226 had some malfunctions using cheap ammo. The USP (all 5 of them that I have owned) never had a single issue.

HK USP is the only pistol I've owned that hasnt seen a malfunction, and that list includes offerings from Sig, Glock, SW, and others.

Mark71
04-06-11, 13:26
I have owned both and put thousands of rounds through each. I much prefer the P226. It does not feel like a 2x4, has a much better trigger, and seemed to be slightly more accurate then the USP. Both guns were equally reliable and I never had an issue with either (my Sig was one of the newer guns). The best advice is to find a local range that rents guns and try them both out.

badness
04-06-11, 14:34
If the sig has a SRT, then the sig definately has a better trigger IMO. On the other hand, i prefer polymer over aluminum. I like the fact that the USP comes with an external safety, which allows you to keep the gun in condition 1.

Downside on the usp is it has polymer magazines, which will get dented and dinged up if you keep dropping them.

Overall, i'd choose the USP. The benefit of the USP outweighs the p226.

AJD
04-06-11, 16:07
I have a HK USP and a German made Sig P226.

These are my amateur impressions of the two.

The P226

-Has a smoother trigger pull and is lighter in both DA and SA.

-Has a more comfortable grip in both shape and feel.

-Has an easier to manipulate magazine release mainly due to the small size of the USP paddle release.

-Has a more slim appearance and feel throughout(not that its really that slim)

-Is much quieter when you de-cock the pistol

The USP

-Has a much more aggressive grip texture

-Has a more crisp trigger break even though its heavier

-Magazines drop free more easily

-Has a superior slide release due to the non traditional location of the SIG slide release

-Is comfortable holding the thumb on the safety like a 1911 or below the safety(which was not the case with my P30S).

-In my novice, unproven and unscientific opinion is most certainly going to require less maintenance due to its beefy design and polymer frame.

-Is more versatile in the sense you can carry it cocked and locked or in DA/SA mode.

I also own a P30 in V3 configuration and would recommend it over the P226 and the USP due to its superior ergonomics and more compact size. Although comparing HK's the USP has a nicer trigger and if you want to go cocked and locked I found the location of the P30S manual safety to be to far back and up to rest my thumb comfortably on. Also the P30 is going to cost around $100-$150 more comparing NIB prices.

Kiznelly
04-07-11, 01:30
Ergonomics sealed the deal for me. I have smaller hands and the USP I shot had a HUGE grip, I never really felt comfortable with it. I ended up going with the 226. The p30 on the other hand is a whole different story though. IMO it is probably the most ergonomic pistol on the market today. Go to a range and shoot both, throw a P30 into the mix and make your decision then.

I bought a W. German P226 and a H&K USP9 at the same time. The H&K was a nice and very accurate pistol, the P226 was as well. I kept each for over four years, but I sold the USP since my hands never grew to fit it, and the P226 was replaced by a P228 shortly afterwards.

I would love to get a USP9c, but after being so use to the SIG manual of arms I figure it's best I just stick with it.

At one time I had:

BHP x2
G17
G19
P226
USP9
CZ75
PT99
24/7

I sold them all (except 1 BHP) after BHO made them worth more than I had in them and bought the P228 as my everything pistol.

I would rather had the G19, but my hand said otherwise.

Also, the H&K USP9 would stove pipe 1 out of 100 WWB I would shoot through it, carry ammo was 100%.

I also conceal carried the USP9 and P226 extensively, as well as the PT99. The P228 hides a bit easier and is lighter.

308smk
04-07-11, 01:53
Slight thread derail;

What's the low down on the newer model Sig226, or the newer Sigs in general? Are they good to go? Do they hold a candle to the older West German Sigs at all? Ive fondled them and the new p220's at the local store but I keep reading about major QC issues with SigUSA, atleast with their rifles. Does this hold true with their pistols as well or are they held to a higher/better standard?

Ive stopped going to the gunstore because Im always worried I'll have a moment of weakness and drop the coin for one, only to find out later that it wasnt what I expected.

Enlighten me.

fhpchris
04-07-11, 01:57
I use the SIG P226.

I can't stand the trigger on the USP.

You need to shoot them both and see for yourself. What works for me might not work for you.

I would say the SA on the USP match trigger is years better than any Sig I have ever fired.

The full size USP is not for the small of hands, but the P30 and HK45 are better and newer options.

If you really want a decent 9mm/40 option it is hard to beat the Glock for the price.

I don't really think you can nail a ~800-900$ pistol for expense in this world of 2000$ 1911s. Most USPs will sustain years of very hard use and still be reliable, I think some of the sub 500$ USPs police trades that CDNN had would be good options if you really are stuck in that budget range.

I would never take a SIG P226 over a USP any day of the week. I am not a glock fan by any means but I would rather have a Glock as well if you really do not like H&K for any reason.

I carry a USP .45 Tactical, so I am on the wrong end of the spectrum to ask I guess.....

variablebinary
04-07-11, 02:44
Which is better a sig p226 vs a hk usp? Both in 9mm.

Which would you choose if you life depended on it?

As a shtf gun?

Which is more accurate? Reliable?

Generally, I prefer the 226 over the USP, but HK also puts out a quality weapon more consistently than SIG

If I were getting an HK it would be a P30L, not a USP

If I were getting a SIG 226 it would be the E2, which is far more shootable than the standard 226, but you still need to trust SIG to build it right which is getting harder and harder to do. The SIG E2 also feels way better in the hand than the USP.

I'd get a Glock over both and call it a day.

S-1
04-07-11, 05:00
I would say the SA on the USP match trigger is years better than any Sig I have ever fired.

I have to disagree. I haven't shot a DA/SA H&K that has a better trigger than a SIG. With tons of dry fire and thousands of rounds through them, the SIGs triggers become very smooth and slick. SIGs short reset trigger is the best DA/SA trigger that I have ever shot out of the box. It's impressive, and should become the standard.

It really boils down to personal preference as both the classic series and USP's are great weapons. There are reports that QC has been lacking in SIGs pistols, but that is true of all companies right now. I can say that the 3 that I have bought in the last year have been 100%. The only thing that I have done to them is replace the cheap polymer guide rod with the factory carbon steel rod and I also add a short trigger to all of mine.

FWIW... I have heard that the E2 grip is now becoming the standard grip on all new models. It makes sense because if you have a model with the currrent/old style grips, you'll have to change some of the internals to add the E2 grip. If they ship them with the E2, and you prefer the old style of grips, you don't have to change the internals, just the grips.

Bulldog7972
04-08-11, 15:01
I wish you guys could shoot my Sig 229 DAK. It has a trigger that almost rivals a 1911 or other S/A pistol. So I say Sig 226 of course.

FDFenn
04-08-11, 17:21
My Sig is a 9mm, 226R SCT (20 round mags (4)) with the fibre optic sites and my HK USP is a 9mm T with a threaded barrel and the adjustable, raised Meprolite Combat Night Sights (15 round mags w/feet (3)).
Last year, I changed the SigSauer up a bit. I swapped the hollow aluminum recoil bar to a solid steel recoil bar. I then sent the P226 to Sig's Custom Shop, where they polished the feed ramp, enhanced the movement and added the SRT package. It came back just how I wanted it, but the work cost over $300.00
The HK came with a polished feed ramp and double springs on the adjustable recoil bar. The stock trigger is just fine!

I want another carbine, however, and now will face the re-sale market for one of my 9mm's.
If I were to sell one of my handguns to someone and I did not ever want to get any $hit from that person about the product that I sold to them...I would sell them my HK USP T and the Raven Concealment holster I had made for the whole shebang!
Best advise was to fire both (from many posters) as much as you can afford to and then just buy one of them! I would add to make sure that the piece you buy comes exactly how you want it set up when you buy the item, too.
Good luck on your hunt.
Don't do as I do, do as I say!

bondmid003
04-09-11, 03:28
Wow talk about a tough question. I've got both in .40, no complaints with either

interfan
04-09-11, 03:50
Rent/borrow/shoot both guns.

See which one you prefer.

Buy it.

I'd note that Sig has had an alleged decline in quality control, so you may want to consider an older P226.

But again, assuming you're dealing with quality examples, these types of comparison threads are silly are they are too subjective. Especially with such vague criteria.

This ^

Go with what fits you better. When you start the Sig vs HK or Glock vs Sig, etc. threads, it is not going to give you the result you need. You get opinion, not data that is specific to you and your needs.

Your body has hundreds of millions of nerve endings in your hands and your brain will process the data. Shoot both and you will have your answer.

Silvanus
04-09-11, 06:02
Those two guns are nearly identical generally speaking. Reliable, accurate, about the same size, same magazine capacity, proven design (both used by various military and police forces), both expensive...

It solely comes down to which one fits your hands better and which pistolīs safety features (and their location on the gun) you prefer. Decocker? Safety? Both? (H&K)

Since you did ask, I would choose the Sig. Thatīs only because I owned one (P229) for a short time and have a little more trigger time with it than the H&K.

VictorMikeLima
10-06-11, 14:05
This thread was just what I needed! (I almost made a thread with the same topic).

I don't know of any ranges that have the p226 and the USP in 9mm for rent that I could test fire them. But from holding them numerous times, the P226 feels a bit better than the USP in my hands. My only dislike with the USP, and it's a big one, is where the safety lever is placed. For my style of shooting and where my hands are placed, the safety selector gets in the way. So I would literally have to pick up a new shooting grip.

I like the idea of owning a USP a bit better. But I think I'll stick with the P226 (navy model) instead.

F-Trooper05
10-06-11, 16:28
This thread was just what I needed! (I almost made a thread with the same topic).

I don't know of any ranges that have the p226 and the USP in 9mm for rent that I could test fire them. But from holding them numerous times, the P226 feels a bit better than the USP in my hands. My only dislike with the USP, and it's a big one, is where the safety lever is placed. For my style of shooting and where my hands are placed, the safety selector gets in the way. So I would literally have to pick up a new shooting grip.

I like the idea of owning a USP a bit better. But I think I'll stick with the P226 (navy model) instead.

LEM P30. Dilemma solved.

FDFenn
10-06-11, 19:37
LEM P30. Dilemma solved.

Dilemma solved all right! So, after writing this thread, I ended up selling my...

HK USP w/threaded Barrel.

I sold it to my BF's nephew. I took a beating, which would not have happened had I kept it, but I did end up keeping my P226 which Sig Custom Shop tweaked about as far as they could. I love that P226.

Now, if I had to get another HK, I shot a P30 (.40) a few months ago and I loved the feel of that pistol. Definitely an advancement for HK, one I would be proud to own and enjoy shooting, too.

A Kimber CPD II 1911 (.45 ACP) replaced my HK and on Monday, I received my tweaked LT OBR, a 16" 5.56 to join my SCAR 16.

I must say, "LaRue Tactical sho' 'nuff makes a beautiful Carbine!" The LaRue OBR "G" trigger shames the trigger assembly in my FN SCAR;both feel and break. Suhweet!

lil'Zeus
10-07-11, 20:26
I think your decision should be based on ergonomics and the type of trigger system you prefer or are most comfortable with. I carry glocks but have tons of love for sigs, but only if they have the SRT system. I have shot HK's but the trigger is not for me. I do believe they are an elite manufacturer but again not my flavor.

I'm glad to see Sig is getting some decent love in this thread. Generally around here they don't! I believe that most people who are die hard shooters don't like the direction Sig has taken their marketing, I myself am included. They have some really dumb ideas out there but business is business and you have to make money somehow. In regards to their QC I think they are bringing stuff to market to quickly and with a few errors people don't let it go.

I vote 226 with SRT trigger and train the hell out of it...JMO

FDFenn
10-07-11, 22:05
When my SCT P226 got the SRT and Enhanced movement - it became the pistol I always wanted. Kudos to the Sig Custom Shop - Perfect!
My first experiences with a P226 were with a duty pistol from that lil' ol' base on Coronado. That P226 resulted in my own P226 purchase years later. Still was the same frame and grip, albeit the SCT is a bigger grip.
My P226 SCT was made in 'W.' Germany, has had all the Custom Shop fixin's: now it is smooth as silk and runs like a Tank.

I cannot figure out SigSauer's Marketing or Product Introductions of the last few years. Big TLAs were buying more pistols; accommodating the huge variability of the 'grip-sizing' of both these M & F shooters resulted in what I see as a loss of focus at Sig - "Looks Good, Feels Good, Works Good."

If you don't like it, go somewhere else. These are pistols, not shirts or high heels. Sig got a little to 'market aware' and I think it changed things for the worst, at least for a few models. How are there ($) Financials? I haven't checked lately.

The Sig 1911's look nice, too. I guess one ought to hold off till the 'pro reviews' say, "yea" or "nay," and hopefully the one you buy works well.

PS: Can anyone show point me to the forum where one learns how to post pics in their 'diatribes!' (lyao-go4it!)!
I truly am that ignint! I would be mighty grateful for the help!:neo:

Alaskapopo
10-07-11, 23:41
I think your decision should be based on ergonomics and the type of trigger system you prefer or are most comfortable with. I carry glocks but have tons of love for sigs, but only if they have the SRT system. I have shot HK's but the trigger is not for me. I do believe they are an elite manufacturer but again not my flavor.

I'm glad to see Sig is getting some decent love in this thread. Generally around here they don't! I believe that most people who are die hard shooters don't like the direction Sig has taken their marketing, I myself am included. They have some really dumb ideas out there but business is business and you have to make money somehow. In regards to their QC I think they are bringing stuff to market to quickly and with a few errors people don't let it go.

I vote 226 with SRT trigger and train the hell out of it...JMO

I tried a 226 with the SRT trigger the other day at a steel challenge match. A guy had one there. Way better trigger than the old system. I sent my 226 into sig to have the work done on it for this trigger. Mine is an older West German P226. The long reset of the older system was one of Sigs biggest flaws in my opinion. I still much prefer my Glocks but Sig did make a solid improvement with this trigger.
Pat

rathos
10-08-11, 03:27
I do not like the placement of the safety/decocker on the HK. I also think sigs have a much better double action trigger. I also like that the Sigs rail can use any light.

If the H&K had a LEM trigger it leans a bit more towards the HK, but then again the Sig has a better overall package to me.

rescueswimmer
10-09-11, 09:50
I think it comes down to preference. The 226 with slim grips will fit more people with smaller hands than the USP, but they both are great pieces.

Chiefp226
10-09-11, 18:08
It's all personal preference in my opinion. I shoot a P226 Navy and a UDP45. Both are reliable and accurate.