PDA

View Full Version : Summer "tactical" pants

rob_s
04-05-11, 07:50
I thought there was a thread on this but I can't get either search to work for me.

As we enter into the warmer months (it's already hit 80+ here) I am reminded again that I want a lightweight pant for the summertime. If they also have a similar-cut short-pant to maintain some consistency, all the better.

I've found the Vertx to be too heavy for hot weather wear, and I think their short-pant is too short.

I have no experience with the Eotac, but I have several pairs of long- and short-pants of the Woolrich Elite from when Fernando was there and I can't imagine they are substantially different. I find the pants too baggy and the short-pants too short.

At this point I'm leaning towards simply buying a couple of pairs of summer-weight BDU pants, but frankly I don't know who's making decent ones now.

Jay Cunningham
04-05-11, 08:17
Rob,

Give SeV a look:

http://www.scottevest.com/v3_store/subindex_pants_shorts.shtml

Iraq Ninja
04-05-11, 09:01
Rob,

Not sure if you heard, but EOTAC went tits up on March 31st. Some of their pants and other items are on sale at Sportsmanguide.com

Another good hot weather pant was the lightweight LAPolice gear 911 copies. Sadly, they had issues with the Chinese getting them made on time and are supposed to be dropping the line.

I agree that the Vertx is a bit too warm.

Rmplstlskn
04-05-11, 09:11
Why not the thin nylon "fishing pants"? They have lots of pockets, leg movement room, and most are well-made with reinforcment stitching in key areas, plus most have SPF protection...
Columbia Fishing Pants (http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_19297_625006002_625000000_625006000?hvarAID=shopping_googlebase&om_mmc=shopping_googlebase)

I wear those fishing shirts all the time in summer but only have a couple of the pants, but they seem to work well...

Rmpl

kcmo83
04-05-11, 09:18
Kyle Defoor turned me on to Rail Riders VersaTac-Light pants (http://www.railriders.com/men-versatac-light-pant-p-954.html?cPath=104_110&osCsid=3esp5aa7l56gbdpc1mkdbrg253).

They are lightweight, yet reinforced in all the right areas (butt, knees, back of the heel). I wear them year round when on a range. When it's cold, I simply layer a pair of level 1's below them and keep going.

aflin
04-05-11, 09:32
Huge plus one on the Rail Riders, Kyle knows his stuff

rob_s
04-05-11, 09:54
Why not the thin nylon "fishing pants"? They have lots of pockets, leg movement room, and most are well-made with reinforcment stitching in key areas, plus most have SPF protection...
Columbia Fishing Pants (http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_19297_625006002_625000000_625006000?hvarAID=shopping_googlebase&om_mmc=shopping_googlebase)

I wear those fishing shirts all the time in summer but only have a couple of the pants, but they seem to work well...
Rmpl

I have a concern re:durability in that regard. The shirts are like a plague down here showing up from church to work to everywhere so I'm quite familiar with the material.

DireWulf
04-05-11, 10:11
Another vote for Rail Riders. Superb quality and they fit the bill for lightweight and functional.

rudy99
04-05-11, 10:14
I have a concern re:durability in that regard. The shirts are like a plague down here showing up from church to work to everywhere so I'm quite familiar with the material.

When going "light weight" you are most likely going to have to fine a compromise between weight and durability. I have Vertx pants, LA Police Gear pants and Columbia PFG pants. Vertx are pretty durable, but at the sacrifice of a heavy material. LA Police Gear pants have some polyester blended in, so they are a bit more lightweight, however the finish out on those pants leaves a bit to desire. I like them for range pants and hunting, but not for around the town. The PFG pants I have are nylon and I wear those when I'm at the lake and want to keep my legs covered to prevent sunburn. They are cool and very lightweight, however they don't appear as if they are very durable. I have had them for 1-2 years and worn them quite a bit, but I haven't really worn them "hard", so to speak.

I think if you focus on pants with a cotton/poly blend, you might find what you are looking for. At ~$15-20 for a pair of LAPG pants, they might be at least worth a shot.

TAP
04-05-11, 10:29
Tru-Spec 24-7 in the poly/cotton ripstop have been very durable for me. I haven't had any issues with shrinking or fading. They are not as light as 5.11 tac lite but not as heavy as the 100% cotton 24-7 or 5.11. I haven't tried their shorts yet but I have two pair on their way this week.

JChops
04-05-11, 10:32
Rob, if you're looking to spend a little more and only want one quality pair, check out the Arc'teryx Rogue.

They are a cotton/nylon blend, very light (great in 90+ degrees) and hold up well. They are considerably lighter than the heavier canvas Spotters. I have a pair of the pants but not the shorts.

Pants: http://www.arcteryx.com/Product.aspx?EN/Mens/Pants-Shorts/Rogue-Pant#Light-Athletic

Shorts: http://www.arcteryx.com/Product.aspx?EN/Mens/Pants-Shorts/Rogue-Long#Light-Athletic

One thing to note is to order a size up from your normal jeans size. I'm normally 34 in jeans/dress pants but these were too tight at 34. 36 fits perfectly.

Belmont31R
04-05-11, 10:37
Check out the propper line of clothing. They mostly make stuff for military contracts but have some civie styled stuff, too, and I think would fit the bill. I have a couple pairs of these: https://www.epropper.com/products/131/productgroup/2/Lightweight_Tactical_Trouser.htm

I like the fit better 5.11. 5.11 to me feels too baggy. These have more of an athletic fit (for me).

They also make a little different and cheaper version: https://www.epropper.com/products/159/productgroup/2/Genuine_Gear_Tactical_Trousers.htm

And they also make shorts: https://www.epropper.com/products/144/productgroup/6/Lightweight_Tactical_Shorts.htm

I've been pretty happy with Propper stuff. The pants above mentioned have done well for me, and I wear a lot of their BDU's around the house, at the range, ect.

BCmJUnKie
04-05-11, 11:15
5.11 Is what I wear in the summer. They are lighter. Proper makes nice ones too but you have to wash them a few times to get them to soften up. They are kind of heavy when new

mattjmcd
04-05-11, 11:49
I am always happy to recommend Kuhl. The Cragrunners in my closet see a lot of wear. They feel heavy but wear light, if that makes sense. I routinely wear them here in SoCal at temps in the mid-90's and they are not too hot. They are extremely durable, and very low-viz.

https://www.kuhl.com/products/Crag-Runner.html

They have other options which are a bit lighter, too.

Belmont31R
04-05-11, 12:14
I am always happy to recommend Kuhl. The Cragrunners in my closet see a lot of wear. They feel heavy but wear light, if that makes sense. I routinely wear them here in SoCal at temps in the mid-90's and they are not too hot. They are extremely durable, and very low-viz.

https://www.kuhl.com/products/Crag-Runner.html

They have other options which are a bit lighter, too.

I have several pairs of Kuhls and while I like them they are not easy to take care of. They always come out of the dry extremely wrinkled. I like pants I can just shake out and fold. One pair of mine actually has impressed in creases that look like crap. They sat in the store folded the creases at permanent, and the first time I washed them the creased area turned a different color than the rest of the fabric so now I have light colored creases in the pant right down the center of each leg that wont come out. Won't be buying anymore.

karmapolice
04-05-11, 12:14
Rob have you ever checked out any of Arc'teryx's stuff, they have quite a few light weight pants and make top notch stuff. Here is a link to one of the pants that might suit what you are looking for

http://arcteryx.com/Product.aspx?EN/Mens/Pants-Shorts/Rampart-Pant#Light-Athletic

Belmont31R
04-05-11, 12:23
Arcteryx has moved a lot of their production overseas. Im not one to pay their prices for china made stuff. They didn't cut prices at all when they went from Canada/USA made to china. Even much of their LEAF line is now china.

May not bother some people.

karmapolice
04-05-11, 12:27
Eh I mean I wish it was still made in Canada and they do have some Berry Compliant stuff. Though one thing they have going for them is they run their own plants over there and assure the working conditions and quality I believe, they do not just sub let it to a factory making all sorts of stuff for all sorts of companies. Its more like apple, I have an Iphone yeah it would be cool if it was made in the USA but it isn't but it is still good quality. A lot of my hippie friends from I know from working at REI as a seasonal employ talked about that because they loved Arc'teryx and were explaining the factory thing and how it isn't the typical chinese/overseas garment stuff.

rushca01
04-05-11, 12:28
I'm really digging the idea of the Railriders! Thanks for the link. Why is it I can't find a decent pair of pants for under 100? I would be more willing to pay 60 but 100 bucks for a pair of pants:shout:

They look similiar to some of the North Face offerings but I'm sure they are a bit more durable.

rob_s
04-05-11, 13:43
Rob,

Not sure if you heard, but EOTAC went tits up on March 31st. Some of their pants and other items are on sale at Sportsmanguide.com

I had no idea. Weird.

Irish
04-05-11, 15:03
Rob - I wear shorts 90% of the year and my favorites are the TAD, I believe they're called Spartan. Made out of 100% cotton ripstop material that is thin and comfortable in the Vegas heat. They don't look to G.I. Joe but are built pretty tough without being too thick.

They have a nice double lining on the pocket edge for carrying a knife without screwing up your pants. They also have a small, kind of funky front of thigh pocket which is great for holding keys separately from your other pocket crap. At first I thought the front pockets were weird now I think they're great.

I'd suggest giving those a shot. Good luck.

deuce9166
04-05-11, 15:47
Tru-Spec 24-7 in the poly/cotton ripstop have been very durable for me. I haven't had any issues with shrinking or fading. They are not as light as 5.11 tac lite but not as heavy as the 100% cotton 24-7 or 5.11. I haven't tried their shorts yet but I have two pair on their way this week.

Good to hear I just ordered two pair yesterday.

Moose-Knuckle
04-05-11, 16:50
We've been in the upper 80's here already. I just statred wearying the Tru-Spec 24/7 shorts. I am impressed. They are great for AIWB, have deticated knife pockets on the hips, an outer pocket on the cargo pockets great for my cell phone and my SF E1L. The length is gtg, way better than the Vertx short shorts. Thay have a synthetic / cotton blend that are lighter than the all cotton.

masakari
04-05-11, 20:16
im wearing TruSpec 27/7 pants right now, and they are very cool... and its 101 here. i highly recommend them.

Dmaynor
04-05-11, 20:21
Rob,

Another good hot weather pant was the lightweight LAPolice gear 911 copies. Sadly, they had issues with the Chinese getting them made on time and are supposed to be dropping the line.

I agree that the Vertx is a bit too warm.

That would explain why my order hasn't shipped :(

For summer I like the tad gear amphib cargos pants. Light weight and good quality. http://www.tripleaughtdesign.com/Apparel/Pants-And-Shorts/Amphibious-Cargo-Pant

kmrtnsn
04-05-11, 23:03
Although not the toughest/most durable lightweight pant, the LAPoliceGear Operator Pant's are tough to beat at $18.00 a pair.

anatolian B
04-05-11, 23:24
I work on a river/water for most of the year, PRANA ZION pants and NORTH FACE Paramount Shorts have a good built-in belt. This makes for comfortable IWB carry etc... Very comfortable and well made.
I live in both unless I have to go to the corporate office.

CLHC
04-05-11, 23:26
What the mess!? That's too bad. . .

I don't know, but how about ExOfficio Products?

dew4au
04-05-11, 23:41
I think you'd look great in these "Authentic Military" capri pants for men.

http://www.amazon.com/Military-Authentic-Capri-Ultra-Force/dp/B000815M2C

Hey, it says "Ultra Force." That has to mean something!

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41B26R1T7SL._SX342_.jpg

Chuc
04-10-11, 12:33
RailRiders Versatac Lites and CragHoppers Kiwi or Nosilife Cargos are good to go.

rob_s
04-10-11, 12:46
I think I'm somewhat back where I started in that the things that do come up are all approaching $100.

If I could find someone that makes good BDU pants I think I'd just settle on those for everything.

Voodoochild
04-10-11, 14:37
Check out SORD USA..

https://www.sordusa.com/shop/product.php?productid=161&cat=52&page=1

krm375
04-10-11, 14:54
Not tactical pants at all, but check out RIGGs work wear by Wrangler, they are not all (tacticooly and mountain climery) but they work well ripstop, reinforced. I have had a few pairs for a few years now on the range and at work, they last like carhartts.

BattleDrill3
04-10-11, 16:15
I agree whole-heartedly with Belmont.

Propper's ripstop NY/CO and full-cotton BDU pants (of every imaginable color) go for about 25-ish bucks. Yes, the gusseted ass screams tactical, but if you're looking for something light and durable, that's the route I take these days. I've tried most of the avenues described here, and most are brimming with superfluous features to justify their ridiculous price point. (Do you really need 90 pockets?) Not to mention (this is the most important factor for me), in the summer, the sweat accumulated in all that fabric stacked on top of itself takes forever to dry, and contributes to some surrious swamp-ass. The cargo pockets are more than enough storage for me. (The only time I even use those is to drop the odd empty AR mag before I walk back to the bench.) I typically cut out the butt pockets and sew up the holes; much more comfortable that way, and helps stave off the inevitable summer monkey-butt. Be advised they do shrink a tad. (Not so much that I have to buy a size up, but they will feel a bit tighter about the waist after a few times in the wash.)

steve2071
04-10-11, 17:25
I am with the others when I say you cannot go wrong with the quality and durability of Arcteryx products. Remember that their core customer base is primarily people looking high performance gear with as little weight as possible.

I have had great experiences with Patagonia, Mountain Hardware, and Marmot also.

REI house brand stuff is really hit or miss, but I will say that I have purchased some of their stuff that I still love and wear to this day.

rob_s
04-10-11, 17:48
Check out the propper line of clothing. They mostly make stuff for military contracts but have some civie styled stuff, too, and I think would fit the bill. I have a couple pairs of these: https://www.epropper.com/products/131/productgroup/2/Lightweight_Tactical_Trouser.htm

I like the fit better 5.11. 5.11 to me feels too baggy. These have more of an athletic fit (for me).

They also make a little different and cheaper version: https://www.epropper.com/products/159/productgroup/2/Genuine_Gear_Tactical_Trousers.htm

And they also make shorts: https://www.epropper.com/products/144/productgroup/6/Lightweight_Tactical_Shorts.htm

I've been pretty happy with Propper stuff. The pants above mentioned have done well for me, and I wear a lot of their BDU's around the house, at the range, ect.

I just realized I have a pair of the pants and shorts you linked to. Hate them. Started a review of them for my site and quit because they were so worthless. Tiny pockets I can't get my hand in (especially on the short-pants, and especially with a knife clipped in it), the material just felt and looked weird... I wanted to like them, I really did, but they just did not work for me at all. Looks like I bought mine almost 1.5 years ago, so maybe they've changed them, but I'm not buying them sight unseen again.

Impact
04-10-11, 18:24
I wear vertx pants all the time and the only LW ones are the MC ones. I wish they would make the LW in a more "urban" color as well.

indawire
04-12-11, 21:40
OK, so mebee LA Police Gear "Operator" :rolleyes: pants don't have the wow factor of some others but --- they have plenty of pockets, have been colorfast, adjustable pull tabs for the waist, 2" belt loops, have not shrunk, poly/cotton mix, 6 colors, fold 'em up after the dryer. The upper thigh pockets are just right for my cell phone in one, tape recorder in the other, outer lower thigh pockets have dividers for my badge case, multitool and flashlight, back pockets for EDC folder and wallet, don't ask me what the lower leg pockets are good for. I've been wearing these for the past 2 summers till it's time to switch to my 5.11's or Blackhawk heavy pants in the winter. I'm in and out of the office and into the field all day long, these carry what I need for inspections. They can be had for less than $20 so who cares if they get ratty looking? They may look a bit strange compared to dress pants w/ all the pockets but this is a case of form following function. Works for me, can't beat the price. Wait for LA Police to run a "special" usually winds up equal to free shipping.

Iraq Ninja
04-13-11, 06:36
OK, so mebee LA Police Gear "Operator" :rolleyes: pants don't have the wow factor of some others but ---

As I mentioned earlier, these are being discontinued due to issues they had with the Chinese factory. They are very good pants.

kmrtnsn
04-13-11, 07:58
As I mentioned earlier, these are being discontinued due to issues they had with the Chinese factory. They are very good pants.

I have about 6 or 7 pairs now in different colors; tear one into the trash they go or they become shorts. When it hits 110 degrees outside I really like them. I tried the Vertx but they're just too damn hot and you can't drop a box of 00 buck into the back pocket. The Sierra color does not scream "tacti-cool" despite all the pockets.

Jay Cunningham
04-13-11, 08:44
I think I'm somewhat back where I started in that the things that do come up are all approaching $100.

If I could find someone that makes good BDU pants I think I'd just settle on those for everything.

Perhaps you're just being fussy, Rob.

rob_s
04-13-11, 09:28
Or douche-y? ;)

Perhaps I'm just looking to exhaust all options. I have BDU pants that I LOVE that I got when I worked at a gunshop/army-surplus shop. They are tan, cool, lightweight, and perfect. They are also ~12 years old and seen far better days. Unfortunately the pants I see in the surplus stores down here do not match and are of an obvious lesser quality, which I encountered at my old job as well which is why I bought only the pants of a certain brand back then.

Much as I wouldn't tell someone who only wants to shoot 200 rounds a year that they "need" a Colt, I'm not in the boat of "needing" $100+ pants, and certainly have no use for the cache that comes with them. There's even now a sub-set of this silliness in people liking to only use the pants/boots/jackets that those "in the know" use and they'll jump from TAD to Mountain Hardware just to keep ahead of the masses. Again, no use in that for me.

My every day clothes come from Old Navy and Walmart. My khaki work pants cost $20-30/pair. My shirts are even less. I'm not going to go spending 5-10x that much for cool-guy pants for the range. Unfortunately Old Navy and Walmart do not appear to have cargo pants of a lighter weight, so I'm pursuing other options if they exist.

rob_s
04-13-11, 09:31
I have about 6 or 7 pairs now in different colors; tear one into the trash they go or they become shorts. When it hits 110 degrees outside I really like them. I tried the Vertx but they're just too damn hot and you can't drop a box of 00 buck into the back pocket. The Sierra color does not scream "tacti-cool" despite all the pockets.

I REALLY like the cut of the Vertx pants, if I could get the sizing worked out, but they kind of ruined me with the 50% off deal that I bought my two pairs under as I frankly don't think they're worth more than that, and they are too hot for the range in the summer down here.

Jay Cunningham
04-13-11, 09:57
Or douche-y? ;)

Actually, yes.

Perfect is in fact the enemy of good enough when it comes to a pair of pants.

rob_s
04-13-11, 10:02
Actually, yes.

Perfect is in fact the enemy of good enough when it comes to a pair of pants.
The irony is more than I can stand...

You were way more fun when you were still the_katar.

:p

Jay Cunningham
04-13-11, 10:09
The irony? You're going on and on about a pair of pants. It's not something deliciously ironic - it's just that you can't accept that the topic is inane... as have been many recently. It doesn't really reflect upon me in any way. When I ask other members for their opinions on something, it's because I actually want their opinions.

Next topic: "tactical" (note intentionally ironic placement of quotation marks!) shoelaces and their accompanying chart - just wanted to provoke discussion, dontcha know...

:no:

Aries4570
04-13-11, 17:37
http://tacticalpants.com/mens-genuine-gear-lightweight-tactical-pants

I just bought a couple pairs of these. They seem really light weight (maybe too light weight) and a good price.

bkb0000
04-13-11, 17:55
The irony? You're going on and on about a pair of pants. It's not something deliciously ironic - it's just that you can't accept that the topic is inane... as have been many recently. It doesn't really reflect upon me in any way. When I ask other members for their opinions on something, it's because I actually want their opinions.

Next topic: "tactical" (note intentionally ironic placement of quotation marks!) shoelaces and their accompanying chart - just wanted to provoke discussion, dontcha know...

:no:

no... he wants peoples' opinions. he doesn't put any merit in them, but he does truly want them. rob has a passion for judging and subsequently discounting opinions- in fact, i don't think i can recall ever seeing him do anything else around here.

rob's threads run for pages and pages of nothing other than him pontificating the few merits and many flaws of other people's opinions. and yet people continue to offer their opinions for sacrifice to his ego... kinda weird.

TOM1911
04-13-11, 18:01
Hey Rob..... Check these out. http://www.arborwear.com/products/pants/tech-pant

Moose-Knuckle
04-13-11, 19:02
A colleague of mine just received a t-shirt with a SWAT member looking down at his trousers with the caption, "do these pants make my ass look tacticool?" :lol:

Atchcraft
04-13-11, 23:16
no... he wants peoples' opinions. he doesn't put any merit in them, but he does truly want them. rob has a passion for judging and subsequently discounting opinions- in fact, i don't think i can recall ever seeing him do anything else around here.

rob's threads run for pages and pages of nothing other than him pontificating the few merits and many flaws of other people's opinions. and yet people continue to offer their opinions for sacrifice to his ego... kinda weird.

I'm not good with words. But, dude... You are!

vicious_cb
04-16-11, 19:14
Arborwear Tech Pants are what I use when it gets hot, actually I pretty much use them in any weather condition. Very durable, very comfy.

MMs review here:http://www.militarymorons.com/gear/garments.4.html scroll down

CLHC
04-18-11, 01:39
While not "tactical" pants per se, I found these hardworking wear clothing while perusing the Information Super Highway:

< BlakLader (http://www.blakladerusa.com/catalog/workpants/) >

threeheadeddog
04-18-11, 10:16
I hate to be the voice of cheap here but I have gone from my 5.11 pants to wearing almost entirely Wrangler khaki type pants from Wal-Mart. Much of the reason was the the standard 5.11's are just to thick and heavy to be working in a factory at mid 90's out side and much hotter next to the welder inside.

The Wrangler's are probably more of a mid-weight pant but they are light years more breathable than the standard 5.11 pant. Also at $18 dollers it fits the bill quite nice.

KnotDR
04-19-11, 06:03
Those railrider pants are a great design but I kind of question whether they were worth the 100 bucks. Not something you are going to wear around town, or use for anything but training and maybe hiking.

They are a lot lighter than vertyx. I'm not crazy about the lack of sealed pocket flaps on the vertyx. Nice casual appearing pants but I am paranoid about losing something out of them.

Too bad about eotac, great designs and materials. Woolrich really backstabbed Fernando and those guys.

The "premium" lighter weight propper bdus hold up well and are light weight

mattjmcd
04-19-11, 15:40
I have several pairs of Kuhls and while I like them they are not easy to take care of. They always come out of the dry extremely wrinkled. I like pants I can just shake out and fold. One pair of mine actually has impressed in creases that look like crap. They sat in the store folded the creases at permanent, and the first time I washed them the creased area turned a different color than the rest of the fabric so now I have light colored creases in the pant right down the center of each leg that wont come out. Won't be buying anymore.

That sucks. Are they the Cragrunners? Those are all I've owned ( I have several pairs of shorts from them, too, though ) from Kuhl. FWIW I store mine folded on the closet shelf and have had no perma-crease problems, but obviously YMMV.

For rob- REI routinely retails these in the $65-75 range as MSRP, less when on sale etc. Not cheap but well south of $100. My primary reason for selecting them over and over again is that they are so tough, low-viz, and flexible. I can wear them at the range or on business casual days with a nice polo shirt and whatnot.

Moose-Knuckle
04-27-11, 17:30
Others have mentioned Rail Riders. . .

I received their master catalog yesterday in the mail and must say after reading reviews from hard end users of their clothing I am sold.

Rob, take a look at their Versatac Ultra-Light Pants. The company got statred in the sailing/saltwater fishing community so they had you Floridians in mind when they make "light" article. The Versatac line has been utilized recently in the SOF community.

The Cat
06-20-11, 14:16

Are these (http://www.lapolicegear.com/basic-operator-pant-elastic.html) the ones you're talking about?

I'm almost sold on them...

tony413
07-04-11, 22:37
hey Rob i live in florida as well and i wear the 5.11 tac lite pro pants/shorts and Arc'teryx brands for longs (there version of shorts 11" inseam made for rock climbing)

Sry0fcr
07-06-11, 18:11
I thought there was a thread on this but I can't get either search to work for me.

You're probably talking about my tactical jeans thread, FWIW I didn't find anything for a decent price that I could hold in my own hands or see with my own eyes. As of today I've resigned myself to sucking it up with my Levis.

Qucksilver Signature series, Prana and Kehul looked promising but they're pricey and I've only seen them on the internet. Under Armor has some stuff too but I can't bring myself to pay $50 for a pair of shorts that are so similar to the Columbia stuff.

DWood
07-17-11, 13:33
I wear Woolrich year round in South Florida. I like the weight and the bagginess. I have worn many types lightweight BDUs in hundreds of hours training as a member of my fire department's USAR team. I worked in them at the World Trade Center collapse and the earthquake in Izmit, Turkey. My opinion is the lightweight stuff is not durable and is not for me. Woolrich all the way.

Does anyone know what this guy is wearing? I bet he has some good input. ;)

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h264/DWood13/armed-bedouin.jpg

Pi3
07-17-11, 17:55
http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_57463_-1?color=Sage&N=46879274+101

look at acadamy clearance items.

sjc3081
07-18-11, 14:33
Be warned the LA Police gear elastic waistband basic operator pants have poor quality plastic zipper that does not stay zipped up and breaks easily. I they would use a high quality locking zipper it would be a great pant. Thet front tool pockets hold two G17 mags in each pocket easliy.

CaptainDooley
07-18-11, 18:19
Be warned the LA Police gear elastic waistband basic operator pants have poor quality plastic zipper that does not stay zipped up and breaks easily. I they would use a high quality locking zipper it would be a great pant. Thet front tool pockets hold two G17 mags in each pocket easliy.

I'm assuming the non-elastic version has the same zipper?

Travis B
07-18-11, 20:14
I'm assuming the non-elastic version has the same zipper?

Where are the non-elastic ones?

CaptainDooley
07-18-11, 20:20
http://www.lapolicegear.com/basic-operator-pant.html

I'm assuming so since it says they have airport friendly hardware.

Where are the non-elastic ones?

Travis B
07-18-11, 20:23

I'm assuming sonsince it says they have airport friendly hardware.

Don't know how I missed those. Thanks!

sjc3081
07-18-11, 23:05
Yes elastic and non elastic use the same cheap zipper I have both.

07-19-11, 09:59
I wore a pair of 5.11 covert cargo pants for a 3 day patrol rifle class I took. It was hot (95-100 degrees) and very humid. The pants were lightweight and very comfortable to wear. Cargo pockets hold 2 AR mags with no problem. The hidden front pockets hold 2 pistol mags each. My only complaint is the pants are cut a little baggy, but it proved to be helpful when squatting and sitting. Overall I really liked the pants. They are a definite improvement over my truspec 24/7's.

PatEgan
07-19-11, 11:16
I have a couple of pairs of the 5.11 'TacLite' pants, which I like. I live out West, so our heat is of the high n' dry variety, with no appreciable humidity. The comfort is good, but I hate that damn sagging back pocket design.

I just picked up a pair of the REI Sahara cargo pants on sale, which are super light and comfortable. I have a pair of their Sahara shorts, which have been great. I just wish these were made in the USA or Canada. Too much of this stuff is made in China...

Pat

ra2bach
07-19-11, 11:22
Yes elastic and non elastic use the same cheap plastic zipper I have both.

but look on the bright side - you don't have to take them off at airport boarding checks!..

:D

trinydex
09-18-11, 23:05
http://www.wearvertx.com/MensPhantom.aspx

Anyone use these yet?

PPGMD
09-19-11, 07:15
but look on the bright side - you don't have to take them off at airport boarding checks!..

:D

That "selling point" doesn't make sense to me, I've never had my pants set off the metal detector. Your belt is much more likely to set them off unless you have an airport friendly belt like Wilderness Tactical sells.

Anyways since the closing of Eotac and my favorite Discreet Pants are no longer available I've been liking the Tru-Spec Classic 24-7.

maximus83
02-06-12, 14:41

I will confess up front I'm not an expect with "tactical clothes." I have not tried 27 varieties and from that experience concluded that one brand was a better value than all others.

What I can say is that after researching it a while, looking what others used and comparing features, I tried the Propper tactical pants (currently $39.99 at some places online) and so far am satisifed. Not thrilled, just satisfied. These are the poly/cotton 65/35 blend. I honestly wish they were a bit softer, and they are definitely more 'heavy' than say jeans. But I like them better feature-wise than the other brands, and found them more comfortable than the few options I've been able to find in-stock in my area (5.11, Woolrich, and Blackhawk pants).

Team Chuck Norris
02-06-12, 17:33
I just purchased a pair of Arc'Teryx Rampart pants. They are the lightest pants made by Arc'Teryx made with nylon with a small amount of stretch. I look forward to wearing them in very hot weather. For now, I have used them while working out, getting quite warm, and they seem to be very comfortable. They are not cheap - nearly $100 a pair. The crotch seems a little high, but after doing things like lunges and other movements I realize that a higher crotch allows for easier one leg movement. And like most items Arc'Teryx, they run small. I am 5'10" weighing around 200 pounds wearing a 34 in Carhartt and 5.11, but I wear a 36 from Arc'Teryx. Order up.

trinydex
09-12-13, 23:06
http://www.wearvertx.com/MensPhantom.aspx

Anyone use these yet?

ok so i bought a pair of phantom pants. these are not as light as i was hoping they'd be. they are lighter compared to the juggernaut traditional vertx cargos: they might be approximately as light as the 511 light pants, but they're not as light as rei sahara hiking cargo pants.

because they're heavier, i bet they will wear pretty well as my vertx juggernaut pants have been through a lot and hardly show any fraying.

one noticable thing that is missing in the phantom pants, that is present in the juggernaut pants, is the stretchiness. obviously different material means different properties. i like the stretchiness of the juggernaut pants. more review once i really get in it with these new phantom pants.

Benito
09-13-13, 21:34
I just purchased a pair of Arc'Teryx Rampart pants. They are the lightest pants made by Arc'Teryx made with nylon with a small amount of stretch. I look forward to wearing them in very hot weather. For now, I have used them while working out, getting quite warm, and they seem to be very comfortable. They are not cheap - nearly $100 a pair. The crotch seems a little high, but after doing things like lunges and other movements I realize that a higher crotch allows for easier one leg movement. And like most items Arc'Teryx, they run small. I am 5'10" weighing around 200 pounds wearing a 34 in Carhartt and 5.11, but I wear a 36 from Arc'Teryx. Order up.

+1 on the Ramparts. I have the pants and the shorts. Very lightweight, with a little bit of stretch. They are excellent for thermogenic bastards like myself. Pricey like most Arc'teryx gear, but you do get what you pay for in this case.

trinydex
09-23-13, 15:51
http://www.rei.com/product/810256/prana-stretch-zion-pants-mens-30-inseam

i recently acquired these.

stretch is awesome. light weight and cool but don't feel paper sheet thin. there's actaully gromet holes around that increase breathability beyond what the stretchy material already allows.

can fit a 1.5" cobra belt buckle through the belt loops, but its a little bit tight.

would be perfect for right handers as the cargo pocket is on the left side. i'm unfortunately left handed.

duece71
09-30-13, 19:27

I'm assuming so since it says they have airport friendly hardware.

These look very similar to a TAD Gear pant that I have. However, the TAD Gear pants are about $100 more. Interesting, wonder if someone from TAD Gear jumped ship and handed over some designs.

mikeith
09-30-13, 22:18
These look very similar to a TAD Gear pant that I have. However, the TAD Gear pants are about $100 more. Interesting, wonder if someone from TAD Gear jumped ship and handed over some designs.

definately a TAD knockoff

speaking of, my lightest and most comfortable pants are my TAD amphibious cargo pants. i have a set of tan and grey and they are great on range those summer range days that you dont want to wear shorts in.

duece71
10-01-13, 06:11
I went to their retail store this summer when I was on a trip to SFO. They didn't have any of their amphibious cargo pants in my size in stock. I went with the Force 10 cargo pants instead. The NYCO fabric is very nice and is very comfortable. Not really for hot weather use though. I need to get a pair of the lighter weight cargo pants.

Michael2007
10-02-13, 23:25
I just bought the 5.11 stryke flex pants. They are my favorite pair of tax pants now. They're very light weight, have decent stretch, and the most well thought out pocket layout I've ever seen. A definite buy for warm weather in my book. They also look very sharp compared to regular 5.11 pants and Vertx pants.

Dmaynor
10-03-13, 00:44
I love TAD Gear since they have no bones about supporting a Gray color. They are light weight enough for summer and can still do winter work. Crüe is my second favorite. Either one does you good.

Irish
10-03-13, 14:52
http://www.rei.com/product/810256/prana-stretch-zion-pants-mens-30-inseam

i recently acquired these.

stretch is awesome. light weight and cool but don't feel paper sheet thin. there's actaully gromet holes around that increase breathability beyond what the stretchy material already allows.

can fit a 1.5" cobra belt buckle through the belt loops, but its a little bit tight.

would be perfect for right handers as the cargo pocket is on the left side. i'm unfortunately left handed.
How are these holding up? They get great reviews at REI and Amazon but wanted to hear your opinion.

BDG
10-03-13, 20:52
definately a TAD knockoff

speaking of, my lightest and most comfortable pants are my TAD amphibious cargo pants. i have a set of tan and grey and they are great on range those summer range days that you dont want to wear shorts in.

Same here, I got the same when I had some extra cash thinking they be like most other pants. I am so glad I spent the money on these, the most functional and comfortable pants I have seen. Durable and breath well. I have done a lot of heavy work outdoors in them as well and they have held up without issue. I literally couldn't think of one thing I would change on these.

Irish
10-18-13, 16:29
My favorite jeans are the Prana Axiom (http://www.prana.com/axiom-jean.html?color=Antique%20Stone%20Wash). Designed for rock climbing and yoga folks with a gusseted crotch (minimal, not karate style) and spandex so they're a lil' stretchy. Backcountry has them on sale for 40% off currently (http://www.backcountry.com/prana-axiom-denim-pant-mens?ti=U2VhcmNoIFJlc3VsdHM6YXhpb206MToxOmF4aW9t), ballpark $48. I'd recommend ordering one waist size smaller than normal.

These look good enough to go out at night and are super comfy.

trinydex
10-18-13, 16:50
How are these holding up? They get great reviews at REI and Amazon but wanted to hear your opinion.

they're awesome. like i said in the initial evaluation the asymmetric pocketing is a bummer since I'm left handed.

but they are great in hot weather and the stretch of the fabric makes them great for training and doing big movements. also they're not extremely baggy like a lot of the thin nylon quick dry rip stop pants. I think they try to make up for the lack of stretch in those materials by making them grossly baggy. the problem with grossly baggy is that it captures a lot of insulating air, but also that it makes moving around awkward. it could feel very comfortable I suppose but I prefer something that is of reasonable bagginess that stretches.

I worry a little about the fragility of the mesh pockets but time will tell.

TacticalSledgehammer
10-18-13, 23:10
If these were cheaper, I'd give them a shot.

http://www.thefighterdesign.com/product-p/afp.htm