PDA

View Full Version : how difficult?

ejewels
04-05-11, 12:13
hello,

I am about to get a ghost ultimate trigger kit which involves changing out the connector and 3 springs. I've been wanting to become my own glock armorer and dive into how the things work inside. I've never taken down the gun further than normal field stripping.

My question is, how easy is it in general to do work on glocks? Any tools I need beside the 3/32nd punch? If I screw up on something, will the gun just not work, or can it be dangerous and blow up? I've seen youtube videos on how to do it and it seems easy, but i'm wondering if working on glocks requires a smiths eye and "touch" or is it all straight forward...

Irish10
04-05-11, 14:04
Your worrying way too much. Other than the punch, a brass or rubber tipped hammer, pliers and a screwdriver may come in handy. Bottom line is it can be done fairly quick and very easily with basic tools by someone with zero or limited experience. If you doubt your capabilities then have a gunsmith or Glock armorer do the install. Your gun isn't going to blow up if you mess things up, it just won't function but you'll be able to correct it if you do mess it up. Just take your time, follow the instructions and any of the numerous you tube instructional videos and you'll be fine.

skyugo
04-05-11, 14:20
if this is a carry or defensive gun be sure to put 500 rounds or so through it after the trigger mod to ensure reliability. I notice a lot of guys here don't mess with their carry gun's triggers for reliability (and potentially liability, but that's a "run a search" discussion) reasons.

if it's a competition gun or something, knock yourself out.

anyway, i'd rank glocks as one of the easiest to work on machines in the world. you really can't make a pistol much simpler.

ejewels
04-05-11, 15:24
This MAY be a carry gun, but i got it just for general use at the range. If I am putting not only the connector but 6# wolf springs that ghost recommends if i am gonna be carrying it.

opmike
04-05-11, 15:55
If you're literate (a prerequisite for following written instructions) you can work on a Glock.

There's a few little tips and hints that some people glaze over in instructions, but there aren't many.

Also, there's a pretty popular video on YouTube of a guy using a hammer to drive out the pins. Don't do this, especially on the trigger pin. The other two pins may need a light tap to getting them going, but nothing more than that.

kerplode
04-05-11, 16:59
Also, there's a pretty popular video on YouTube of a guy using a hammer to drive out the pins. Don't do this, especially on the trigger pin. The other two pins may need a light tap to getting them going, but nothing more than that.
Agreed. I probably watched that video because I pounded a bit the first time I field stripped a glock. Ended up munging the hole in the slide stop a bit.

The pins should come out and go in with just hand pressure on the punch. If the trigger pin is acting stubborn, wiggle the slide stop a bit while applying light pressure and it'll pop right out.

Give it a go...It's really not that hard. GlockParts (http://glockparts.com/Content.aspx?PAGE=Glock Disassembly) has a pretty good tutorial if you need a reference.

fnforme
04-05-11, 17:10
Lots of good advice here.

Working on glocks doesn't take much in the way of gunsmithing skills as it's 99% swaptronics. Like others have said, just use pressure on a punch rather than a hammer. You'll be shocked at how easy it is to swap connectors and trigger parts and this will also give you more respect for how simple the Glock is.

skyugo
04-05-11, 22:00
Agreed. I probably watched that video because I pounded a bit the first time I field stripped a glock. Ended up munging the hole in the slide stop a bit.

The pins should come out and go in with just hand pressure on the punch. If the trigger pin is acting stubborn, wiggle the slide stop a bit while applying light pressure and it'll pop right out.

Give it a go...It's really not that hard. GlockParts (http://glockparts.com/Content.aspx?PAGE=Glock Disassembly) has a pretty good tutorial if you need a reference.

that's the single most difficult element of taking apart a glock, and it's not that hard at all.