PDA

View Full Version : Disappointing gun purchases

redhands
04-05-11, 13:38
The first pistol I bought. I spent 3 months looking over glocks, rugers, smiths, hks, sigs and colts. I wanted a .40 S&W so I ended up going with a Model 23 Glock because it seemed to be the best.
Pistols shipped with one NIB hi-cap mag then and I was able to buy a used model 22 mag at the same time.

I bought it from a gun store on layaway. The counter guy told me he had installed the meprolights himself for a customer that never picked it up and so there was no extra charge. I never questioned it and once I finally got to shoot it never really recovered from the trauma. (15 years ago)

It was statistically precise. 180gr Golden sabers went into 3 inch groups at 25 yards from a sandbagged rest. Accuracy was dismal. At the same distance the gun shot 18 inches low. A gunsmith later gauged the trigger weight at 14.5#. Another interesting feature was that index finger pressure on the chamber when the slide was in battery was capable of partially unlocking the breech; about 1/16 inch of movement. At 7 yards I had to hold 6 inches above the desired impact point, completely obscuring what I was aiming at in the process.

Completely reliable, I never had a stoppage, but as my father put it it was "a useless noisemaker." I ended up trading for a sig p229 in the same caliber.

Just to make it clear I have a Glock19 for a carry pistol although it did take a long time to see past my first impressions on polymer receivers.

markm
04-05-11, 13:40
Sounds like you were blaming the gun instead of the guy who screwed it up.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
04-05-11, 13:46
there is a forum for this, and ar gen discussion isn't it.

redhands
04-05-11, 13:50
Sorry, I thought I was in the forum.

militarymoron
04-05-11, 13:53
It was statistically precise. 180gr Golden sabers went into 3 inch groups at 25 yards from a sandbagged rest. Accuracy was dismal. .

i'd be happy with that kind of accuracy. how is a 3 inch group at 25 yds 'dismal'?
sounds like all you needed was a shorter front sight.
moving this to handguns.

rauchman
04-05-11, 14:05
i'd be happy with that kind of accuracy. how is a 3 inch group at 25 yds 'dismal'?
sounds like all you needed was a shorter front sight.
moving this to handguns.

I may be very wrong, but I think he's saying that mechanical accuracy was good..... 3" / 25 yrd. But, user accuracy was bad... ie, 14.5lb trigger.

Everyday3
04-05-11, 14:17
You think you were duped. I I spent 7 years away from guns and finally decided to get back in to shooting and carrying a couple years ago. Went to a local gun shop the guy told me it was the latest greatest thing. I was in ews and aws. Seemed to feel real good I liked the features he talked about. I was sold 600 bucks no night sights just this way cool gun. Wait for it wait for it SIG P250 :shout:

what a hunk of overpriced crap. I am so glad sucked it up and got rid of it i lost some money but M&P baby so much happier. But I did learn a lesson do your home work and watch out for all the smoke in mirrors. When i went to by my first ar i read everything i could so I could make an informed decision. Have a Daniel Defence M4 and couldnt be happier. Thx m4c lessons learned the hard way

redhands
04-05-11, 14:27
The pistol grouped well, everything shot inside of 4" at 25 yards when using a rest. Winchester sold a load called deep penetrator using a 180gr bullet that would shoot higher than anything else that I could find but would still print about 14" below point of aim at 25 yards. At 7 yards I would still see shots go maybe 6 inches below point of aim. I would have to hold at 12 oclock to strike 6 oclock on a 6 inch bullseye.
The pistol also had been fitted with a New York disconnector and had a heavy pull. That was not told to me when I purchased it and I should have noted it before buying but I was young. I never did quite figure out why the chamber would move with finger pressure but I always wondered if it was responsible for shifting the point of impact low. The Glock19 I have now does not do this.
I should have taken it back and said what I thought was not right and gotten a solution for it but for whatever reason I didn't.

SERT103
04-05-11, 14:35
Not sure I quite understand the point of this thread.

slustan
04-05-11, 16:10
Not sure I quite understand the point of this thread.

Agreed. It seems this disappointment should be directed towards the salesman at the shop. The wrong sights and what sounds like the NY2 trigger return spring. Seems like it was operating in the manner in which it was set up to, albeit with improper sight height. Not the guns fault.

redhands
04-06-11, 09:26
Sorry to hear about that. Sigs are generally good pistols but anybody can make a lemon. I remember the gun mags praising the p250 when they were introduced. I was close to getting the P239 when I saw the P229 under the counter beside it.

Everyday3
04-06-11, 09:35
Thx i did recently find a goog deal on a sig P226 E2 and love shooting it just wishe I had done my homework.

Sorry to hear about that. Sigs are generally good pistols but anybody can make a lemon. I remember the gun mags praising the p250 when they were introduced. I was close to getting the P239 when I saw the P229 under the counter beside it.