PDA

View Full Version : G19 Upgrades

WTDeBerry
04-06-11, 00:41
I just got some Heinie Straight Eight Night Sights and a 3.5# Connector for my Glock 19. I am thinking of possibly getting a stainless steel guide rod, just because to me, it will round it out nicely. What are others' opinions? Specifically, on the guide rod? Thanks in advance.

-WTDeBerry-

opmike
04-06-11, 00:50
The steel guide rod is a waste of money unless you plan on doing magazine dumps all afternoon.

I think you'll find, that the culture of this forums is skewed pretty far to the function over form side of the spectrum.

All my Glocks get a decent set of sights, the Vickers Mag Release, and a grip plug. MANY would argue that even the plug is a waste of money, but I have it because I'm more consistent with my reloads with it in.

The magazine release will be a real, tangible improvement that you will immediately appreciate. You may also want to consider the new Magazine release that is out as well.

Outside of the sight and mag release recommendations, I'd suggest spending some time shooting the gun to see where it's not meeting your requirements.

NotDylan
04-06-11, 00:53
LAV recommends a good set of night sights, his mag release, his slide release, and a grip plug.

Iraqgunz
04-06-11, 00:54
I recommend a Vickers magazine release and extended slide stop lever. I don't recommend a 3.5 disconnector if you are going to carry this for self defense, unless you add a NY trigger.

I would leave the standard guide rod assembly in place and focus on shooting the weapon.

skyugo
04-06-11, 01:01
stock with trijicons here.

spend your money on a nice holster. :cool:

Quinn
04-06-11, 01:05
dont mean to thread jack but do you folks carry with the extended mag release? Does it bother you?

opmike
04-06-11, 01:10
dont mean to thread jack but do you folks carry with the extended mag release? Does it bother you?

Bother me? Not at all. And it significantly increases my ability to drop the magazine when I want.

The whole point in the Vickers mag release is to be a little longer than stock, but not too long. It's shorter than the Glock extended magazine release.

Quinn
04-06-11, 01:15
The inability to reach the mag release without fully rotating the pistol is one of my main gripes with the platform and have contimplated getting one but am hesitant cause my holster does a great job of keeping the weapon attached to my side, I thought the extended release might be uncomfortable.

opmike
04-06-11, 01:24
No, you won't feel it. Again, it's shorter then extended factory unit. If for whatever reason you don't like it, you will have NO trouble selling it.

Glock really needs to start shipping all models with the Tango Down/Vickers unit, or something similar. I picked up another Glock 19 not too long ago, and I had forgotten how dismal the factory catch is by comparison.

Meta-Prometheus
04-06-11, 01:31
Ironically enough I ordered Heinie Straight Eight's yesterday!

Like others have said, spend some time shooting it!

WTDeBerry
04-06-11, 02:30
Exactly the kind of info I was looking for.

I shoot it on most weekends, I try to put around 200 rounds thru it each time out, and I believe I have close to 1600 thru it as of right now, have to check.

I have not installed any of these items yet, and although I did spend some money on the connector, I will take the advice. It's not that it is not meeting my requirements, I just figured the guide rod would cut down on wear more than anything, even tho it has been 100% reliable, thus far.

I will look into the magazine release and extended slide stop lever. That is one thing that bothers me, I have to tweak my grip on the gun ever so slightly to engage the slide release and the slide stop as well.

Again, thanks everyone for the advice. This is why I like this forum. A shit-ton of knowledge; minimal bullshit.

-WTDeBerry-

Iraqgunz
04-06-11, 03:48
The OEM extended ones sucked. They were too long. LAV did what many had been doing at home. He shortened it enough to be functional, but not a PITA.

S-1
04-06-11, 04:08
The Vickers mag release is the single best item that you can get for a Glock, imo. Well, anything other than the stock sights too.

Sights and the Vickers mag release is all that you really need to do to a Glock. Everything else is just fluff.

askani79705
04-06-11, 05:53
Maybe texture and profile it ?

http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/7236/imag0076ms.jpg (http://img28.imageshack.us/i/imag0076ms.jpg/)

blackscot
04-06-11, 06:00
Another vote for the Vickers mag catch.

Mine also has Warren Tactical 2-dot night sights.

All else is stock, and it is carried every day.

Cagemonkey
04-06-11, 06:07
I would go with a 4.5 lb connector for practical purposes.

The Dumb Gun Collector
04-06-11, 06:30
The only thing a G19 needs, IMO, is nights sights. Heinies are probably the best. Factory three dots are excellent and more than adequate.

VolGrad
04-06-11, 06:47
I would go with a 4.5 lb connector for practical purposes.
FTR the GLOCK (-) connector is technically around 4.5#. Lots of people still call it a 3.5# connector though.

I just set up a new G19 last night myself.
Smooth trigger from a G17
GLOCK (-) connector
Ameriglo ProGlo orange/green front, all black serrated rear
GLOCK ext slide stop (because my LAV ones aren't here yet)
grip plug

SKIP THE AFTER MARKET GUIDE ROD.

Low Drag
04-06-11, 06:56
A steel guide rod makes it super easy/cheap to replace your recoil spring.

I'm a 10mm Glock fan, one of the first things I do is put a stronger spring in. I also change them out on a regular basis.

Velcro
04-06-11, 06:56
...not that you don't, but of all guns to talk about mod's, the G19 is probably the last weapon that you would need to mod for any reason...at least with parts.

I do personally like the texturing or griptape, not a big fan of different trigger weight and combinations...all the "black OPS" G19 configurations...it's funny.

Of everything over here and about the world, the G19 has proven the overall most successful pistol designed...IMO!

"TRAINING" is where everything comes together. "The G19 is the staple weapon over here, so all the BS about these guys that brought there DE .50 over here to combat terrorists, not saying that there had never been one, because you know there has been at lease ONE...but the Glock, Beretta, SIG and even a rise in the S&W Sigma (could get more sigma's for the money)...those are the Pistols that are "primarily" fighting the war on Terror.

"Keep Glocks Stock!!!" (......LOL)

Velcro

NC Buckeye
04-06-11, 07:01
I have a mag release that extends a little further back so that I don't have to shift my grip, better sights although I fall in the camp that believes a night sights best use is to help find the gun in the safe, 17 trigger and a minus connector with a ny1 spring.

I find that I push the target trigger and I ride an extended slide stop, and I prefer a black rear to a 3 dot sight, but I wouldn't take one off because I just ignore them.

KTR03
04-06-11, 07:11
Agreeing with everyone here. The only 19's I see at courses that don't work have had their internals "upgraded". If you really want to run the (-) connector put a NY1 connector in it too. You'll get a 5ish trigger pull with a very distinct reset. I use to do that, but frankly stock configuration works just fine.
Recoil springs are dirt cheap and easy to replace. Not a huge deal.

Magic_Salad0892
04-06-11, 09:38
Vicker's Mag and Slide Catch.
Heinie Straight Eights.
Nowlin Tactical Lanyard Grip Plug
NY1 Spring, and 3.5 lbs, connector.
Threaded Barrel (Will be making the switch to Glock factory when they become available.)

That's all it could ever need. IMO, I like the serrated trigger face.

I used to say a lot different when I first came here. Ask Rob of my previous stupidity.

VolGrad
04-06-11, 10:33
A steel guide rod makes it super easy/cheap to replace your recoil spring.
Not to be disagreeable but a GLOCK recoil spring assembly costs $5. I can't imagine cost would play a factor in replacing it periodically.

Quinn
04-06-11, 10:36
again dont mean to thread jack lol, i was contimplating putting some grip tape on the front muzzle end of my slide to assist in press checks will this interfere when doing holster work? I am running a kydex iwb by secret city weaponeers.

GermanSynergy
04-06-11, 10:58
Invest in ammo, a holster/ mag carrier and get into a reputable training class. Front slide serrations are virtually useless, IMHO, as you can easily facilitate a chamber check from the rear of the weapon.

Quinn
04-06-11, 11:09
Front slide serrations are virtually useless, IMHO, as you can easily facilitate a chamber check from the rear of the weapon.

I feel I have better control of the slide if i grab it closer to the muzzle

Magic_Salad0892
04-06-11, 11:15
True, but what's the point if you have an external extractor with loaded chamber indicator?

Code3Patriot
04-06-11, 11:39
Whenever I get a G19 it gets the following makeover:

G17 Trigger
OEM 4.5 Connector
Factory Extended Slide Lock
Vickers Mag Release on Gen3 or older
Ameriglo Defoor Sights (I paint the front sight bright orange)

Extra mags, extra mags, extra mags.

I'm looking forward to trying the Vickers Slide Stop in the near future - it sounds GTG and will probably work it's way onto my training and off-duty G19s.

awm14hp
04-06-11, 15:58
meps plenty of mags and shooting time

Moose-Knuckle
04-06-11, 16:22
LAV recommends a good set if night sights, his mag release, his slide release, and a grip plug.

This.

opmike
04-06-11, 16:50
"TRAINING" is where everything comes together. "The G19 is the staple weapon over here, so all the BS about these guys that brought there DE .50 over here to combat terrorists, not saying that there had never been one, because you know there has been at lease ONE...but the Glock, Beretta, SIG and even a rise in the S&W Sigma (could get more sigma's for the money)...those are the Pistols that are "primarily" fighting the war on Terror.

Umm, what?

No, they need a real set of sights at the very least.

skyugo
04-06-11, 18:55
i must have long thumbs or something. i have no problem dropping a mag. it does require a fairly deliberate push to dump the mag, but i'm of the school of thought that a mag release's primary job is mag retention.

gsxr-fan
04-06-11, 18:58
A very timely thread! Just picked up my new a G19 yesterday from a local shop and plan to shoot it this weekend during the IDPA match. I can see the need for a good set of night sights, larger mag and slide release, definite upgrades down the line.

One thing is for sure, in a side-by-side comparison of triggers between my new G19 and my stock M&P (w/2000 – 3000 rounds fired), the G19 trigger pull and trigger reset is much, much better and positive! Awesome!:D

DireWulf
04-06-11, 20:17
I would recommend the following for a carry G19:

1) Better sights are a must. Warren, Heinie and Ameriglo seem to be the top contenders.

2) Vickers mag release

3) Vickers slide stop

4) More mags

Stippling, NY Trigger and 3.5lb connector and grip plug are also things to consider. I stippled mine, but I have no need for the trigger work or the plug.

Glocks need better sights. Other stuff might be debatable, but the sights are junk.

sammage
04-06-11, 21:02
Just like most of the above...good sights (Warrens, Heinies, Ameriglos)
Extended mag catch (Vickers is preferred, Dremeled down OEM extended works)
Extended slide release (Vickers)

Practice.

Surf
04-07-11, 01:52
I like

- 3.5, to 5.5.
- Standard spring
- extended slide stop
- extended mag release
- Polish job to clean up the trigger
- Sights (depends on what I use it for)

I cannot reach the mag release on Gen3's or earlier without rolling my grip. I prefer the ergo's of the Gen 4's.

jamaicanj
04-07-11, 05:18
I have added the following to my g19:
-extended slide release
-sevigny carry sights with tritium...green dot in front and dimmer yellow dot in rear
-4 pieces of decal grip which will probably be replaced by a set of talon grips

Based on everyone's recommendations, I am now going to look into the vickers mag release

Quinn
04-07-11, 10:31
True, but what's the point if you have an external extractor with loaded chamber indicator?

I like to see it

skatz11
04-07-11, 11:59
My vote is for TrueGrips and more mags. I'm going to try the Vicker's parts soon on my 17. I've found nothing but good advice on this forum. Enjoy your glock!

t1tan
04-07-11, 13:06
Personally on my 19

Sights
Glock Smooth Trigger
Glock (-) Connector + Standard Spring

I'm interested in, but have not found necessary;

Vicker's Slide Release
Vicker's Mag Release
Grip Plug - been reading more and more people claiming improvements in reloads so I may try one myself.

WTDeBerry
04-07-11, 14:14
This thread really took off more than I expected. I like seeing what everyone is doing to their Glocks. Most have the same, or at least similar setups, proving what I already knew, Glocks need very little outside of being stock to make an excellent defensive tool.

I have learned a lot from all of the comments. Keep them coming as long as you like. And to all of those 'thread hijackers' out there, don't worry about it. You aren't hijacking, just asking more in-depth questions about what has already been posted. We are all here to learn something new whenever possible.

-WTDeBerry-

Magic_Salad0892
04-07-11, 14:50
You can order a Glock 19 with factory metal sights (Ball and cup sight picture) or night sights and have an excellent do-all pistol for less than like $450.

The steel ball and cup sights cost like $20 more than the shitty plastic ball and cup sights. But they have the same sight picture.

Any modifications past that are just personal preference, or ergonomic upgrades. A stock Glock 19 Gen3 with the factory metal sights, or meprolights is (IMO) the best value in a stock pistol, IMO.

d90king
04-07-11, 14:58
Decent set of sights, plug and an extended mag release...

QuietShootr
04-07-11, 15:09
To the basic list of Vickers mag release, either Vickers or Glock extended slide stop, and plug, I would like to add a set of factory maritime spring cups.

Some of you may remember my immersion shooting tests with a G19 last summer. It is indeed possible to get a hydraulic lock in the firing pin channel that will prevent the gun from firing even from just dropping it in the water. It doesn't happen every time, more like 3 out of 10 times...but the maritime spring cups prevent it from happening at all.

Karcas
04-07-11, 15:49
I just got my Vickers extended slide stop today for my G19.

Absolutely a must have in my book. Not too big, not too small, feels perfect, great grip.

Magic_Salad0892
04-07-11, 15:54
I should have added that I use the Maritime cups.

DocGKR
04-07-11, 16:10
-- Better sights: For irons usually Trijicon HD, Warren, or Ameriglo 3-dot with bright green front and dim yellow back, although recently I've been using a RMR02 with suppressor height BIS.

-- Vickers mag catch

-- Vickers slide release

-- Scherer "slug" butt plug

-- Stipple frame

-- Glock "-" connector with standard spring

-- Glock smooth trigger if not OEM installed (typically needs replacement on G19's)

-- Maritime spring cups if any use around water is anticipated

-- Grip Force Adapters, especially on G17's.

http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=7360&filename=RMR%20Glocks.jpg

cynical
04-07-11, 20:48
This takes care of just about everything for me:
smooth faced trigger
good night sights
extended mag release
extended slide release
extended slide lock (takedown)
3.5# connector
NY1 spring

I can't believe no one has mentioned an extended slide lock yet. The more you shoot it, the more you clean it, the more you will appreciate this simple part.

I don't believe in aftermarket guide rods. Unless you need a heavy tungsten guide rod for a competition gun, the stock part is all you need.

DireWulf
04-08-11, 10:52
-- Maritime spring cups if any use around water is anticipated

Dr. Roberts,

I seem to recall from the armorer's course that the maritime cups were designated for the G-17 only. I checked through my files, but I can't find the protocol for the maritime cups. I seem to recall the instructor telling us that the cups would likely work in the G19, but were not designed for it. I also seem to recall a requirement for ball ammo if there was a chance that the weapon would need to be fired submerged. I could be mistaken. Perhaps you or another member has further info on this.

Sorry if this is a thread-jack, but it got me thinking.

cynical
04-08-11, 10:55
Dr. Roberts,

I seem to recall from the armorer's course that the maritime cups were designated for the G-17 only. I checked through my files, but I can't find the protocol for the maritime cups. I seem to recall the instructor telling us that the cups would likely work in the G19, but were not designed for it. I also seem to recall a requirement for ball ammo if there was a chance that the weapon would need to be fired submerged. I could be mistaken. Perhaps you or another member has further info on this.

Sorry if this is a thread-jack, but it got me thinking.

Firing a pistol underwater is a bad idea in general, but if you must, ball ammo is a good idea.

However, that's not what the maritime spring cups are about. The idea isn't firing underwater, it's firing the gun AFTER it's been underwater. This could be military users who are swimming or wading, or it could be someone who just dropped the pistol into a puddle. The maritime spring cups allow the water to drain away more easily after you pick it back up.

DireWulf
04-08-11, 12:15
Firing a pistol underwater is a bad idea in general, but if you must, ball ammo is a good idea.

However, that's not what the maritime spring cups are about. The idea isn't firing underwater, it's firing the gun AFTER it's been underwater. This could be military users who are swimming or wading, or it could be someone who just dropped the pistol into a puddle. The maritime spring cups allow the water to drain away more easily after you pick it back up.

Thanks. I'm clear on the purpose of the spring cups, I just can't recall if there's a model restriction on their use. I recall that Glock had a bulletin on their use, but I can't seem to find it. I thought I remembered it saying G17 only, factory springs (recoil and striker) and ball ammo. I have some Deputies at the facility where I'm teaching who are part of a maritime unit. I'm going to check with one of them on Monday when I go in. It's piqued my interest because I know some people using them in G19s for no apparent reason other than to be the coolest guy at the IDPA match.

QuietShootr
04-08-11, 12:20

This.

Anyway, reference firing with the gun submerged - you'd be very, very surprised at how ineffective it is, and how physically unpleasant it is. 115gr ball was bouncing off a 2"x8" board from less than 5 feet away, and some of them clearly showed that they'd hit sideways.

The concussion made my innards ache, and I was only submerged up to mid-chest. I would imagine that having your head submerged would be miserable at the least, and probably somewhat stunning and disorienting.

QuietShootr
04-08-11, 12:23
Thanks. I'm clear on the purpose of the spring cups, I just can't recall if there's a model restriction on their use. I recall that Glock had a bulletin on their use, but I can't seem to find it. I thought I remembered it saying G17 only, factory springs (recoil and striker) and ball ammo. I have some Deputies at the facility where I'm teaching who are part of a maritime unit. I'm going to check with one of them on Monday when I go in. It's piqued my interest because I know some people using them in G19s for no apparent reason other than to be the coolest guy at the IDPA match.

They work fine in the G19, or any other model for that matter. It's just that the 17 is the only model that Glock certifies for use underwater, and the other rounds/weapons would be unsafe (.40 would probably kaboom immediately).

For the rest of us, it's an insurance policy to make sure the gun fires after it's been submerged. I spend a lot of time on and around water.

krm375
04-08-11, 12:56
meps plenty of mags and shooting time

This + 1

l8apex
04-08-11, 13:20
Vickers mag & slide release
After running different trigger set ups the 3.5 w/ NY1 works best.
Defoor Sights

YMMV

Magsz
04-08-11, 13:50
What kind of poundage are you guys getting for your pull weight with the 3.5 and the NY1?

Im assuming right at around 5 pounds?

Abraxas
04-08-11, 13:56
I don't recommend a 3.5 disconnector if you are going to carry this for self defense, unless you add a NY trigger.

Why? My dept issues our 22's with them

skyugo
04-08-11, 15:21
Grip Plug - been reading more and more people claiming improvements in reloads so I may try one myself.

that is interesting.. i do tend to get some dust and crap up inside the back of the grip as well.
my g19 has a mark on the plastic between the magwell and the rear area from the rims of cartridges hitting it on reloads. it woudl probably be smoother with a plug.

opmike
04-08-11, 15:32
it woudl probably be smoother with a plug.

It is, and this is the only reason I use them.

WTDeBerry
04-09-11, 17:47
Dr. Roberts,

I seem to recall from the armorer's course that the maritime cups were designated for the G-17 only. I checked through my files, but I can't find the protocol for the maritime cups. I seem to recall the instructor telling us that the cups would likely work in the G19, but were not designed for it.

MARITIME
Optimum water permeability for secure firing even under water!
Only approved for GLOCK pistols in caliber 9x19. (Glock.com)

So, essentially, you are correct.

-WTDeBerry-

Iraqgunz
04-10-11, 01:58
IMPO I feel it makes the trigger pull too light.

Why? My dept issues our 22's with them

l8apex
04-10-11, 03:40
What kind of poundage are you guys getting for your pull weight with the 3.5 and the NY1?

Im assuming right at around 5 pounds?

Never measured it myself, however it feels similar to stock ~ 5 -5.5. Prefer the 'feel' as it seems to be consistent with even more of a tactile reset. Ymmv.

ranburr
04-10-11, 03:49
I am currently putting one together. Having the grip reshaped to mimmick a 1911, including a beavertail. Tritium sights from Speed Sights. Fulcrum ultimate trigger. Lone Wolf Slide refinished in Ceracoat. Vickers mag release. Cut slide lock down as small as possible. Way too much money invested. But, it is unique and something that I wanted to do.

Cagemonkey
04-10-11, 06:51

Im assuming right at around 5 pounds?+1 on the original stated question. I got a G19 and am looking to get a 4 to 4 1/2lb trigger pull. The 3.5lb connector seems to be pretty popular. I was looking to get a OEM 4.5 connector. Will this give me the desired 4 to 4 1/2lb trigger pull? It would be nice if we could come to a consensus on the best set up for a carry/duty/tactical trigger. This way I can order the parts and get things going.

DocGKR
04-10-11, 10:11
The Glock OEM "-" connector and stock trigger return spring generally gives a trigger pull a bit over 5 lbs measured mid trigger in most of the Glocks we have tested.

The Glock OEM "-" connector and NY1 trigger return spring generally gives a trigger pull of 7-8 lbs measured mid trigger in most of the Glocks we have tested.

The stock Glock OEM "5.5 lb" connector and stock trigger return spring generally gives a trigger pull a bit over 6 lbs measured mid trigger in most of the Glocks we have tested.

The stock Glock OEM "5.5 lb" connector and NY1 trigger return spring generally gives a trigger pull around 7-8 lbs measured mid trigger in most of the Glocks we have tested.

Cagemonkey
04-10-11, 10:20
Thanks Doc. I'm thinking of trying the 3.5 connector in conjunction with the NY1 trigger spring.

Surf
04-10-11, 12:08
With my Gen 4's add about another 1 - 1.5 lbs on the pull weight on a similar set up to a Gen 3. Measured by my finger only.

FWIW - I have tried just about every spring connector combo and splits were always faster for me with a standard spring vs the NY spring. I also will not carry a Glock for duty use as we are required to have a NY1 set up and I cannot stand this. I would easily carry in my favorite combo's of 3.5 - 5.5 and standard spring.

Magsz
04-10-11, 20:19
Are gen 3 trigger bars compatible with Gen 4 frames?

Im thinking about slapping a Gen 3 trigger bar into my Gen 4 G19 in order to drop the trigger pound weight about a pound.

QuietShootr
04-10-11, 20:42
I'm not a fan of the 3.5 connector because it changes where the trigger breaks. It causes the release to occur earlier in the trigger's travel, which has the unintended consequence of causing excess overtravel, which bugs the shit out of me. I prefer a well-broken-in stock configuration over all the others.

opmike
04-10-11, 21:28
I'm not a fan of the 3.5 connector because it changes where the trigger breaks. It causes the release to occur earlier in the trigger's travel, which has the unintended consequence of causing excess overtravel, which bugs the shit out of me. I prefer a well-broken-in stock configuration over all the others.

I've ditched my 3.5's for similar reasons. Now, if someone could come out with a connector that reduced the pull weight, but kept the strong reset and the break point, I might be interested.

Granted, I haven't tried all the various spring combinations and such...

operator81
04-10-11, 22:44
Are gen 3 trigger bars compatible with Gen 4 frames?

Im thinking about slapping a Gen 3 trigger bar into my Gen 4 G19 in order to drop the trigger pound weight about a pound.

Yes, and it does improve the trigger pull, at least it did for me.

HK45
04-14-11, 10:54
I used to always buy guide rods and springs from Wolff for new Glocks. I don't know why I did that now.

chaotik
04-14-11, 12:01
I have a Gen 3 G19 with the 4.5 lb OEM connector and stock springs and no polishing. The trigger pull is about 5.00 -5.25 pounds.

I also have a Gen 4 G19 with the 4.5 lb OEM connector and stock springs and no polishing. I swapped out the trigger bar for the 3rd generation smooth one (SP00357) and my trigger pull seems to be perhaps 0.25 lb more using my Timney trigger gauge than my Gen 3, but it’s pretty close and frankly I can’t really tell the difference.

fivefivesix
04-15-11, 12:28
the only mod i think a g19 needs is to replace that serrated trigger with the flat faced gtrigger from a 17

godsmack
04-16-11, 13:12
Dont own a G19, but I do have a gen 3 G22 on the way. It will be set up like my current G22, with a frame plug, 3.5 connector and an extended slide stop. Thats it for me.

Cagemonkey
04-19-11, 18:39
Vickers mag release and slide catch. Just installed a 4.5lb Glock connector from Glockmeister. Later on when I have the funds, I plan on getting a grip mod/texturing from www.coldborecustom.com.

caddishatch
04-19-11, 20:57
Are there any advantages to using a Lone Wolf barrel on Glocks? I was thinking of picking up a few.

SW-Shooter
04-19-11, 23:43
In order of necessity. IMO. Before you begin, ditch the trigger spring and install a Glock OEM 3.5 Connector and the Olive NY1 8 lbs spring.

1. Ammunition, both home defense and practice. Don't forget to practice with what you'll carry.
1a. Plenty of spare magazines.
2. A quality belt and holster. I recommend both OWB and IWB or a hybrid. RCS or Comp-tac are my favorites. For belts I use Endeavor gear and sometimes a 5.11 tatical.
3. Night sights (I use Meprolight and Trijicon)
4. Lightning Strike guide rod.
5. Extended Slide stop/release
6. Spare parts kit (stuff happens)

Optional items:
1. Extended magazine release.
2. Talon grips
3. Weaponlight, (if price is no concern pick the Surefire). Streamlight TLR-1s, Surefire X300, Insight Tech WX-150

I'm sure I forgot something.

Courtesy of chrismartin, posted on SilencerTalkhttp://www.silencertests.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=27240

All trigger pulls were tested with a Lyman digital trigger pull gauge, 10 times, then averaged.
The pad on the gauge was in the middle of the trigger. I tried to keep things repeatable.

LWD = Lone Wolf Distributing
CTRS = "Competition Trigger Return Spring" rated at 6lbs, stock is 5lbs, gives a sharper reset
NY1 = Olive NY1 trigger return spring
Glock 19 stock was out of the box, 5.5lbs connector, standard ribbed trigger, etc.
Glock 17 has over 3500 rounds through it.

Glock 17 + LWD 3.5lbs (All Polished): 5lbs 7.5oz
Glock 17 + LWD 3.5lbs + CTRS (All Polished): 5lbs 4.0oz
Glock 19 Stock: 6lbs 11.5oz
Glock 19 + CTRS: 6lbs 5.5oz
Glock 19 + NY1: 9lbs 10.5oz
Glock 19 + LWD 3.5lbs + CTRS: 5lbs 4.0oz
Glock 19 + LWD 3.5lbs + NY1: 8lbs 3.0oz
Glock 19 Stock (All Polished): 6lbs 12oz
Glock 19 + CTRS (All Polished): 6lbs 11.5oz
Glock 19 + NY1 (All Polished): 10lbs 8.0oz
Glock 19 + LWD 3.5lbs + NY1 (All Polished): 8lbs 6.5oz
Glock 19 + LWD 3.5lbs + CTRS (All Polished): 5lbs 8.5oz
Glock 19 + LWD 3.5lbs + standard spring: 5lbs 12.0oz
Glock 19 + LWD 3.5lbs + standard spring + smooth trigger: 5lbs 4.0oz

My Glock 17 was left as:
Glock 17 + LWD 3.5lbs + CTRS (All Polished): 5lbs 4.0oz

My Glock 19 was left as:
Glock 19 + LWD 3.5lbs + standard spring + smooth trigger: 5lbs 4.0oz

I did not have a glock 3.5lbs connector around, I gave my last one to my father-in-law.

My other impressions...
I don't really see the point in the CTRS, I don't really notice the extra reset.
I don't like the feel of the NY1 at all. Much too heavy for me and I didn't really like the reset.
I don't mind using the LWD connector. It's worked well for me. The stock one was fine too.
I do like a <6lbs trigger more than the >6lbs stock trigger.
Polishing improves the feel of the trigger a little, but it didn't seam to affect pull weight at all.
I don't like the ribbed trigger at all. I prefer the smooth faced trigger.

Magic_Salad0892
04-20-11, 01:54
In order of necessity. IMO. Before you begin, ditch the trigger spring and install a Glock OEM 3.5 Connector and the Olive NY1 8 lbs spring.

1. Ammunition, both home defense and practice. Don't forget to practice with what you'll carry.
1a. Plenty of spare magazines.
2. A quality belt and holster. I recommend both OWB and IWB or a hybrid. RCS or Comp-tac are my favorites. For belts I use Endeavor gear and sometimes a 5.11 tatical.
3. Night sights (I use Meprolight and Trijicon)
4. Lightning Strike guide rod.
5. Extended Slide stop/release
6. Spare parts kit (stuff happens)

Why?...

opmike
04-20-11, 02:35
I was just about to ask that.

Certainly some interesting recommendations in this thread...

caddishatch
04-20-11, 18:13
What do guys think of the Wolf Barrels? I am interested in getting one for my 19 and 23.

Magsz
04-20-11, 18:24
What do guys think of the Wolf Barrels? I am interested in getting one for my 19 and 23.

Conversion or standard?

The stock Glock barrel is perfectly accurate. I would only replace it if you plan on shooting a ton of lead reloads.

SW-Shooter
04-20-11, 19:23
Why?...

Because I had a stock one fail at less than 500 rounds and vowed never to use an OEM one again. There are reports of numerous failures and problems due to the factory plastic guide rod.

loupav
04-20-11, 20:32
I always add the factory extended mag release as well as good sights, and a extended mag release.

Magic_Salad0892
04-21-11, 00:47
Because I had a stock one fail at less than 500 rounds and vowed never to use an OEM one again. There are reports of numerous failures and problems due to the factory plastic guide rod.

Funny. I've never heard of one. I've also never heard of an instructor or industry professional recommend one.

I don't mean to rag on you, but you had one part fail on you one time and vowed never to use any of it's kind again?

I had a Colt 1911 for a short time that just refused to run suppressed, and absolutely hated certain brands of 230 gr. JHP, but I wouldn't go so far to say that Colt 1911s suck, just the one I had was less than stellar.

But if it works for you, I guess I can't criticise. Does it make you shoot better, just out of curiosity?

durus5995
04-21-11, 04:02

The only failure I have ever seen was in a youtube video where they were doing something crazy like a 52 magazine dump with just loading and firing as fast as possible. The guide rod melted and fell out but the gun kept functioning with just the spring.

What kind of failure did you experience at 500 rounds in your Glock?

rob_s
04-21-11, 05:10
Interesting to see how carried away people can get with so simple a gun. Guess it goes to show that guns really are Legos for big boys...

My suggestion to anyone starting out with a Glock is the same as the AR: start with the basic gun, learn it, figure out it's shortcomings for YOU based on YOUR USE. Resist the urge to mask bad habits with gear and learn to shoot the gun. If you reach a point where the gun is holding you back, or rubbing you raw, or slowing you down, change it.

What a lot of people are (hopefully) posting is their end result based on doing this themselves. The danger, I think, is the same as the AR where new shooters may read this and think that everything listed is a requirement. FWIW one of the best Glock shooters I ever saw shot a stock G23 or G19, left handed, and shot it well enough that if he was at the match everyone else was fighting for second place. I learned a lot by watching him. I believe this is especially true with all these homebrew trigger mods.

boganz45
04-21-11, 20:57
New sights and go shoot.

Magic_Salad0892
04-22-11, 03:18
Interesting to see how carried away people can get with so simple a gun. Guess it goes to show that guns really are Legos for big boys...

My suggestion to anyone starting out with a Glock is the same as the AR: start with the basic gun, learn it, figure out it's shortcomings for YOU based on YOUR USE. Resist the urge to mask bad habits with gear and learn to shoot the gun. If you reach a point where the gun is holding you back, or rubbing you raw, or slowing you down, change it.

What a lot of people are (hopefully) posting is their end result based on doing this themselves. The danger, I think, is the same as the AR where new shooters may read this and think that everything listed is a requirement. FWIW one of the best Glock shooters I ever saw shot a stock G23 or G19, left handed, and shot it well enough that if he was at the match everyone else was fighting for second place. I learned a lot by watching him. I believe this is especially true with all these homebrew trigger mods.

With the exception of the stock polymer sights, I am inclined to agree with you. Especially after you'd bitch smacked some sense into me nearly a year ago.

javentre
04-22-11, 06:40
nevermind - I was wrong.

SWATcop556
04-22-11, 06:55
https://www.m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=947905&postcount=9

Guide rods not barrels. Many recommend the aftermarket barrels but I would bet few who throw one in their gun because "so-and-so" uses it can out shoot their stock barrels. Those who can, see the difference.

javentre
04-22-11, 06:57
Guide rods not barrels.
Indeed, I re-read it and I was mistaken.

tfltackdriver
04-22-11, 09:03
*delete*

mpom
04-22-11, 10:16
I've ditched my 3.5's for similar reasons. Now, if someone could come out with a connector that reduced the pull weight, but kept the strong reset and the break point, I might be interested.

Granted, I haven't tried all the various spring combinations and such...

Went with GhostRocket "tactical". Similar geometry to factory connector, so no reduction in pull weight unless other steps are taken. Over travel is almost completely gone, but just as gratifying, reset is very crisp and short. Highly recommended.
I polished the rest of the stock parts and ended up with a 2 stage, smooth, crisp 5 lb pull. Done experimenting with fire control parts.
As others have stated, I also did not experience significant accuracy improvement with aftermarket barrel (Jarvis). Only advantage I can see is if shooting naked lead, and less case expansion with tighter chamber, valuable for reloaders in .40 guns, not so much in 9 mm. Gun did become much more sensitive to out of spec reloads, but not factory loads.

Mark

Catorze
04-22-11, 13:24
Dr. Roberts,

I seem to recall from the armorer's course that the maritime cups were designated for the G-17 only. I checked through my files, but I can't find the protocol for the maritime cups...

From the Glock site, "Only approved for GLOCK pistols in caliber 9x19."

Catorze
04-22-11, 13:36

Agree completely! Furthermore, these "tweaks" can become a crutch in lieu of good training and effective practice. BTW, I hate that guy :sarcastic:

hatidua
04-22-11, 14:45
The only changes I've made to my G19 is what holster I was originally using for it, and to add a threaded barrel so I can run my SWR Trident on it. Other than that, feed, shoot, repeat.

T-TAC
04-23-11, 11:12
I can fully live with a Glock box stock out of the box, But given my druthers.
I usually put Trijicon night sights ( green in front / yellow in back )
Change the trigger to the G17. This gets rid of the thin grooved trigger and gives me the nice flat smooth trigger of the 17.This also keeps the factory weight trigger pull so it's defendable in court.
And last on of TR Grahams Slide locks, This increases accuracy, centers groups and makes take down eaiser.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851754

jonconsiglio
04-23-11, 12:42
Duplicate post

jonconsiglio
04-23-11, 12:43
I change out my sights to Warren single tritium dot rear and front so all my Glocks and M&Ps have the same sights except for the Gen 4 17 that I've been using the 10-8 rear on instead as a trial for 6 months and it's just stayed.

Coming back to these gums from 1911's (primarily Nighthawks) and the fact that I owned Glocks before years ago, I initially thought I needed at least some trigger work so I changed to the Ghost connectors. It felt less crisp, so I tried the NY1 spring and just did not like it. After all the trial and error on the Gen 4's, I'm back t the factory set up and am fine with that. Still not like the Gen 3's, but in all honestly it makes no difference to me when actually shooting the gun.

So, besides the sights, the only thing I changed on the Gen 4 17 (just figured I'd mention the 17 since it needed more changes than my 19) was the recoil assembly. I had the early set up and they sent me the 02 then the 02-1 assembly. The heavier one was mostly ok, but I had just a few failures in the first 1,000 rounds. The 02's have been perfect in all positions, so I completely trust them now to the point where I sold all six of my HKs and three of my Sigs and now only run the Glocks and M&Ps, but mostly the Glock 17's.

Sorry for the long winded post. For my Glock 19, which I bought when they had the sale on the od frame guns, just changed the sights to Warren single dot tritiums and that's it. The triggers are more than fine in them, there's no need to change the recoil assembly in my guns and I actually am very happy with the grip angle and feel, especially the Gen 4's feel, but even the Gen 3 works great for me.

I'm not against people changing things on their guns to make them work for them. But, if they're new to the type of gun or shooting itself, I think everyone needs to dedicate at least a few months of consistent shooting and attend at least one decent class before changing anything except maybe the sights.

All you're doing is making a change, not an improvement, if you don't have the experience to know what the different part will do in the first place.

LOTX
04-23-11, 13:56
I'm a Glock fan and have shot many other handguns over my career span and always go back to Glock. I think it all comes down to personal preference and confidence that the weapon will go "bang" in any situation and environment.

I have my Glock 22c fitted with:

1.) Extended mag release- Crucial piece of equipment for me since I am left handed and already at a small disadvantage with performing this skill

2. Enhanced slide catch

3.) I have used many sights over the years from Heine, Trijicon, stock Glock, and without a doubt prefer the TruGlo fiber optic/tritium combination. I have a front green sight- yellow rear and find this to be the perfect combination for me.

I do have another G22c fitted with the TruGlo straight fiber optics with green rear and red front sight and prefer this combination over everything else but you lose the ability to have any night sight advantage since this combination only comes in fiber optic and not a combo of fiber optic/tritium.

I use a mag well plug and that's all the mods I have done and I am deadly accurate with this weapon and know it's going to function under extreme conditions.

Magic_Salad0892
04-24-11, 04:31
This also keeps the factory weight trigger pull so it's defendable in court.
And last on of TR Grahams Slide locks, This increases accuracy, centers groups and makes take down eaiser.

I seriously doubt it would make a difference.

After having used one, I agree with you. However, I'm not sure it makes a difference for me to the point that I'm going to buy three to four more of them.

Eventually I want new barrels in my Glocks though, as my 17 is the only gun I can suppress, and you can't thread a 17 barrel and throw it in a 19.

I'll probably get BarSto, or KKM threaded barrel(s), and send it off the be Melonite treated.

Yojimbo
04-24-11, 07:37
I've been interested in trying the TR Graham slide lock but I was concerned that the tighter lock up might cause reliablity issues. Has there been any reports of less reliability when using one?

Magic_Salad0892
04-24-11, 08:40
I've been interested in trying the TR Graham slide lock but I was concerned that the tighter lock up might cause reliablity issues. Has there been any reports of less reliability when using one?

I've not heard of one, and I didn't have any.

I still have mine, putting it on a carry Gen3 Glock 19.

Next year, after I feel all the issues are sorted out, I'll convert back to Gen4s. G19s.

I keep going back and forth, thankfully I haven't lost too much money doing it.

tfltackdriver
04-26-11, 19:53
Reading through this thread, I've got to say I'm confused on the issue of Glock factory night sights. I understand completely why folks don't like the plastic default sights.

I'd love to be educated on what folks see as the downfall of the Glock factory NS. I've been led to believe the front sights are now narrower than they used to be and if I had to eyeball it, I'd say the ones on my 2010 Gen3 G19 are slimmer than what I've seen in earlier year models.

I'm not in love with the sights on the gun, but I don't understand what's wrong with them or why others are vastly superior (except for the cutaways on the sides of the Warrens, which I really like).

Thanks!

T-TAC
04-27-11, 16:07
T R Grahams Slide lock has no effect at all on reliability. Accuracy increases within 200 rounds or less.
Mr Graham stands 100% behind his product. If you arn't completely happy with it. He will refund you plus your shipping charges, no questions asked.
Bought one. liked it so much I put two in my other two Glocks then bought two more for my parts box. Yes it's that good.

opmike
04-27-11, 17:09
T R Grahams Slide lock has no effect at all on reliability. Accuracy increases within 200 rounds or less.
Mr Graham stands 100% behind his product. If you arn't completely happy with it. He will refund you plus your shipping charges, no questions asked.
Bought one. liked it so much I put two in my other two Glocks then bought two more for my parts box. Yes it's that good.

I keep hearing people singing its praises, yet no one seems bothered to doing some scientific (or something approaching scientific) testing with and without the unit installed. Double-blind would be preferred.

And yes, I know he'll refund people their money. But that's an irrelevant point for those of us curious as to whether it actually works or not.

And what do you mean "within 200 rounds?" What does round count have to do with anything? If it helps lockup or others things related to consistency when the slide is forward, this is something that should be realized immediately after installation for guns that would benefit from it.

Magic_Salad0892
04-28-11, 03:10
I keep hearing people singing its praises, yet no one seems bothered to doing some scientific (or something approaching scientific) testing with and without the unit installed. Double-blind would be preferred.

And yes, I know he'll refund people their money. But that's an irrelevant point for those of us curious as to whether it actually works or not.

And what do you mean "within 200 rounds?" What does round count have to do with anything? If it helps lockup or others things related to consistency when the slide is forward, this is something that should be realized immediately after installation for guns that would benefit from it.

There is a test on GlockTalk of somebody having another shooter shoot two Glocks without knowing which one had the MGSL in it, then switching them and doing it again. The gun with the MGSL was consistently more accurate. Both guns were Glock 19s using 115 gr. FMJ. Can't find the thread, but the proof is out there. I know it doesn't count for much, but I can also vouch for it working.

opmike
04-28-11, 07:53
There is a test on GlockTalk of somebody having another shooter shoot two Glocks without knowing which one had the MGSL in it, then switching them and doing it again. The gun with the MGSL was consistently more accurate. Both guns were Glock 19s using 115 gr. FMJ. Can't find the thread, but the proof is out there. I know it doesn't count for much, but I can also vouch for it working.

What kind of improvements did you see with your groups after installation?

I apologize to the OP for the thread drift.

d90king
04-28-11, 08:52
Reading through this thread, I've got to say I'm confused on the issue of Glock factory night sights. I understand completely why folks don't like the plastic default sights.

I'd love to be educated on what folks see as the downfall of the Glock factory NS. I've been led to believe the front sights are now narrower than they used to be and if I had to eyeball it, I'd say the ones on my 2010 Gen3 G19 are slimmer than what I've seen in earlier year models.

I'm not in love with the sights on the gun, but I don't understand what's wrong with them or why others are vastly superior (except for the cutaways on the sides of the Warrens, which I really like).

Thanks!

The rear notch is way to tight... Most folks like to be able to see the target which is impossible with the standard sights. You see the problem much more at distance where it becomes much more difficult to see your aiming point when shooting for accuracy. It doesn't really effect it as much at close range, but it is an issue once you get beyond 10 yds.

I have a set on a newer 19 and while they are a little better they are far from ideal.

Jim D
04-28-11, 09:34

Thanks!

In addition to the notch being tight, they're not very tall, and are outlined with white rings on all 3-dots.

I (and many others) don't much care for 3 dot night sights, especially those with the same color tritium in the front and rear. Adding white rings on the rear viles is something that really only helps people line up the dots in the daylight (which isn't how sights should be aligned).

Sights like Warren Tacticals, Heinie's, Ameriglo, etc...all offer the end user cleaner rear sights, with wider notches, and taller profiles.

Personally, I find it much easier to use taller sights than stock Glock height sights. To me, it's a lot easier to pick up the front sight and drop it into your notch when it sits more noticably over the slide.

west996
04-28-11, 09:39
Good info in this thread. I'm going with a Vickers mag catch and plenty of practice ammo.

Magic_Salad0892
04-28-11, 12:00
What kind of improvements did you see with your groups after installation?

I apologize to the OP for the thread drift.

Easier takedown, but related to groups. They were tighter, and had a smaller extreme spread. That is with a ten shot group, not a five shot group BTW.

The groups went from 2.463'' (not measured by me) to 1.432'', as told to me by a co-worker with much better math skills than me.

If I owned a camera I'd have taken pictures.

gsxr-fan
04-28-11, 20:47
One of any number of youtube videos on glock slide locks...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=equpRsbyXdA

You have my attention!

QuietShootr
04-28-11, 21:10
I knew Tom before he was famous, haven't seen him in years. I'll have to get in touch with him and ask about this. Anyone got an email for him?

nobody knows
06-10-11, 23:06
I just bought a g19 for use as a carry pistol(coming from 1911's). And last weekend put it's first 1,000rds through it,first thing I noticed was the magazine release is not useable for me (I have small hand's). So I replaced it with the glock factory extended magazine release. Its a little sharp so it will most likely have a date with my dremel. Next I replaced the slide lock. I noticed that in some "high stress" situations the slid lock was hard to hit sometimes.(I'm going to try the slingshot method next) so I replaced it with the glock factory extended slide lock. Original I thought abonut getting the vickers slide lock but decided against it because well it wasn't really extended. I really like the style of the slide lock I just wish it was a bit longer. I replaced the crappy glock factory plastic sights with a set of trijicon HD's(orange front) they seem to be vary nice so far but I wont know how well they work until I get to the range next weeken. And finally after this initial 1,000rds I decided to get the smooth face g17 trigger. My finger got pretty sore after about 600rds and it started to effect my accuracy. I believe these will be the only modifications to this pistol.

EzGoingKev
06-10-11, 23:35
First thing I would say is shoot the gun and get used to it. Once you have that, then move on so you can evaluate the difference any changes make.

Then change the sights. You might have to swap them out more than once if you haven't found what is best for you. Anyone on the fence needs to pick something, buy it, and try it. If it works great, if not then buy something else and sell the set that did not work.

Controls if needed. I have small hands and like the extended mag release and slide lock. Some do not.

If it is an earlier model without the rough texture then stipple the grip. I cannot believe the difference it made on my 17. I grab the pistol and it feels like it is part of my hand. It is a fairly easy modification that everyone should be able to do on their own.

I also ground down the trigger guard so I can get a better grip. Also more comfortable.

Sensei
06-11-11, 01:09
I just bought a g19 for use as a carry pistol(coming from 1911's). And last weekend put it's first 1,000rds through it,first thing I noticed was the magazine release is not useable for me (I have small hand's). So I replaced it with the glock factory extended magazine release. Its a little sharp so it will most likely have a date with my dremel. Next I replaced the slide lock. I noticed that in some "high stress" situations the slid lock was hard to hit sometimes.(I'm going to try the slingshot method next) so I replaced it with the glock factory extended slide lock. Original I thought abonut getting the vickers slide lock but decided against it because well it wasn't really extended. I really like the style of the slide lock I just wish it was a bit longer. I replaced the crappy glock factory plastic sights with a set of trijicon HD's(orange front) they seem to be vary nice so far but I wont know how well they work until I get to the range next weeken. And finally after this initial 1,000rds I decided to get the smooth face g17 trigger. My finger got pretty sore after about 600rds and it started to effect my accuracy. I believe these will be the only modifications to this pistol.

I've found the Vickers mag release perfect - not too tall, not too sharp. However, I'd imagine you will do fine with a dremel. Many of us who shoot with a very high grip find ourselves inadvertently activating the factory extended slide release with our thumb causing a failure to lock back after the last round. The Vickers slide release answers this problem for many people by allowing them to activate the lever without rotating the gun. However, people with very small hands might not be able to realize its full potential and it does not install as easy as the factory part (TD recommends Glock armorer install and Larry backs this up).

Magic_Salad0892
06-11-11, 09:03
I've decided to transition all my Glocks to the MGSL because it's cheaper than buying a new barrel to fix accuracy issues at range (and speed).

Shooting 4x4'' cards at 15m at speed is easier with a gun that shoots 1.5'' groups than one that shoots 3'' groups.

Also, it lets me stay with the factory barrel, which I want to change out to a Glock OEM threaded barrel at some point.

I have one, and am waiting on two more.

nobody knows
06-11-11, 15:50
I've found the Vickers mag release perfect - not too tall, not too sharp. However, I'd imagine you will do fine with a dremel. Many of us who shoot with a very high grip find ourselves inadvertently activating the factory extended slide release with our thumb causing a failure to lock back after the last round. The Vickers slide release answers this problem for many people by allowing them to activate the lever without rotating the gun. However, people with very small hands might not be able to realize its full potential and it does not install as easy as the factory part (TD recommends Glock armorer install and Larry backs this up).

My original plane was to buy both the vickers magazine release and slide lock.until I seen the slide lock in person then I decided to give the glock extended slide lock a try. Even tho I had herd of the high grip issues using the ome part. I think my hands are just the right size to avoid this problem.(hopefully) my gun shop happened to have both the glock ome part's so I picked up the magazine release at the same time. I will give them a shot for awhile if these don't work ill try the vickers equipment.

Cagemonkey
06-11-11, 17:17
+1 on the original stated question. I got a G19 and am looking to get a 4 to 4 1/2lb trigger pull. The 3.5lb connector seems to be pretty popular. I was looking to get a OEM 4.5 connector. Will this give me the desired 4 to 4 1/2lb trigger pull? It would be nice if we could come to a consensus on the best set up for a carry/duty/tactical trigger. This way I can order the parts and get things going.Update. Went back to the Glock OEM connector and trigger spring. The 4.5 lb connector was too light. It was difficult to feel the difference between the two trigger stages and I feel this setup could lead to ND's.

M4Guru
06-11-11, 17:22
I've always been perplexed by the correlation to a lighter trigger and negligent discharges.

The gun goes off when YOU pull the trigger, be it 1 pound or 12 pounds. If you shoot it better with a lighter trigger that is durable and reliable, use it. When you don't want it to go off, don't pull the trigger.

I prefer the following mods. I used to go wild but found after a decade of shooting Glocks that these paid the most dividends. I have a GLock 22RTF, 17RTF, and 19RTF set up identical:

Sights: Ameriglo I Dot (alternatively Heinie S8, Warren Sevigny with Trit front, Dawson fixed or Adjustable on the other 2-dozen Glocks in my safe)

Trigger: Factory (-) connector, polish contact surfaces, factory springs

Slide lock: Vickers, formerly OEM extended

Mag Release: Vickers, formerly OEM extended

I use the Gripforce adapter on every gun now. I grind the grooves up top smooth, and I have aggressively stippled the lower portion. I have large hands and slide bite has always been a problem for me (I have gnarly scars...) but these solved it for me.

tfltackdriver
06-13-11, 14:52

How does the Vickers slide release enabling users to activate it without rotating the gun solve the problem of riding the slide release with a high grip?

Magsz
06-13-11, 16:26
How does the Vickers slide release enabling users to activate it without rotating the gun solve the problem of riding the slide release with a high grip?

If i understand correctly the problem is solved because of the contour of the actual catch.

There is very little material protruding on the BOTTOM of the catch where the meat of your reaction hand rides. The palm of your hand kind of fits underneath the "ledge" and doesnt get in the way.

With the factory and factory extended catches your flesh actually TOUCHES the part and prevents it from operating properly.

Now, all hands are different and the vickers catch may not work for everyone. I have relatively small hands yet i had issues with the factory extended catch not locking back or prematurely locking open. I havent had a SINGLE issue in 2.5k rounds through my G19 with the vickers catch.

tfltackdriver
06-13-11, 18:59
I was just having trouble following the logic. It doesn't seem that being able to release the slide without rotating the pistol has anything to do with not riding the control surface.

I have no problems manipulating the slide release and as long as I'm thinking about it somewhere in the back of my head, I don't ride it, but high-hand holds on the old 1911 die hard and when I get in the "zone" the thumb goes back on there.

johnson
06-13-11, 19:31
My favorite combo (thanks to robb jensen) is a 3.5lb connector and ny-1 spring without the coil. Pull is ~4lb 6oz

Sensei
06-13-11, 22:42
I was just having trouble following the logic. It doesn't seem that being able to release the slide without rotating the pistol has anything to do with not riding the control surface.

I have no problems manipulating the slide release and as long as I'm thinking about it somewhere in the back of my head, I don't ride it, but high-hand holds on the old 1911 die hard and when I get in the "zone" the thumb goes back on there.

Sorry for not being more specific in my original post. Magsz hit the nail on the head. Those of us with small to medium sized hands are not able to activate the slide release without rotating/shifting the grip. This is especially true when using the standard G21/20. On the other hand, a high tang grip tends to inadvertently activate the factory extended slide release with the thenar region of the reaction hand or the thumb of the firing hand. The Vickers product in theory helps with both of those issues. I've tried the product with varying degrees of success in that it works better for me on full size Glocks (I sometimes hit it with thenar region on compacts and sub-compacts). However, I am not willing to alter my training for one model when I mainly carry a G19. Thus, I have decided to switch back to the standard factory slide release and continue to slingshot the slide during reloads.

nobody knows
06-16-11, 15:50
Can anyone tell me about the g17 trigger in a g19. I ordered one wen I got my OEM extended slide lock and magazineo release. But I was just told by the Guy at the gun shop that it will not work in the g19. So will the 17 trigger and trigger bar fit? Or will I have to get just the trigger itself? Thanks for any help.

one
06-16-11, 16:07
I run the smooth "17" trigger in my G19 and 26. It's the same internals.

Irish
06-16-11, 19:22
Can anyone tell me about the g17 trigger in a g19. I ordered one wen I got my OEM extended slide lock and magazineo release. But I was just told by the Guy at the gun shop that it will not work in the g19. So will the 17 trigger and trigger bar fit? Or will I have to get just the trigger itself? Thanks for any help.

He's full of shit. The G17 trigger group will drop right into the G19 and can be done in no time.

Google: Glock trigger install for videos on the subject.

nobody knows
06-16-11, 21:39
Thanks for the replies fellas. I figured he was full of it but wanted to be sure. Thanks again.

HK45
06-18-11, 10:48
Less is more. Good sights (I use Hackathorns), mag release, maybe slide stop. I don't even mess with the stock triggers anymore myself but your mileage may vary on that.

DeathMetal
06-18-11, 21:28
I use the grip plug, 3.5 Connector and heavier spring (not the NY1) I also use the Factory Ext. Mag release I sanded down a bit but I'm going to change it soon for the Vickers.

Turnkey11
06-18-11, 21:49
Sights, 3.5# trigger bar, and vickers mag release is all I needed. Also ditched the goofy NY spring in favor for the stock civy spring.

Whtwolf14
06-19-11, 15:09
My G19:

Warren Sights (Plain rear / Trit front)
Smooth trigger
Plug
Vickers mag release
GF adapter (stops the slide bite)
Shaved off the finger grooves and stipled the grip
25 cent trigger polish

I haven't had any issues with the pistol. It's the only one in my stabe that's been flawless. **knocks on wood**

t1tan
06-19-11, 15:21
Picked up a Glockmeister plug while they're on sale for $4, definitely makes for a smoother reload x1000

To amend my personal choices on my 19...

Ameriglo Hackathorns
Glock Smooth Trigger
Glock (-) Connector + Standard Spring
Glockmeister Plug
Vickers Tactical Slide Stop

I'd like a Vickers magazine release as well but read on his facebook page that will most likely not be happening for the Gen 4. I can see a factory threaded barrel is in my future as well.

one
06-19-11, 15:22
The factory threaded is great! I love the one I scored for my 19.

nobody knows
06-23-11, 22:11
Hey Guy's I need some advice. I finally decided to put my g17 trigger in my g19, and it will not function properly. It's a vary odd problem, the trigger will only reset every other time I retract the slide(WTF??) Example wen I pull the trigger then retract the slide the trigger will not reset. Then I'll retract the slide a second time and it will then reset. This makes no sense, so does anyone have an idea as to what the problem could be? I appreciate any advice anyone has to give.
Thanks

Magic_Salad0892
06-24-11, 10:12
Hey Guy's I need some advice. I finally decided to put my g17 trigger in my g19, and it will not function properly. It's a vary odd problem, the trigger will only reset every other time I retract the slide(WTF??) Example wen I pull the trigger then retract the slide the trigger will not reset. Then I'll retract the slide a second time and it will then reset. This makes no sense, so does anyone have an idea as to what the problem could be? I appreciate any advice anyone has to give.
Thanks

Check trigger bar, trigger connector, and make sure everything is installed properly, make sure springs are in spec, if your 100% sure, then maybe we can diagnose it.

This will just eliminate one variable.

Nephrology
06-24-11, 15:02
Thanks

Did you reinstall the trigger spring properly? should be shaped like an S (S for Spring) when the ejector is facing right .

Edit:

As for my personal G19 setup, I have mine (and my 2 other 9mm glocks) all set up with Ameriglo Hackathorns and a factory extended mag release that I sand down so that it does not release the magazine when pressed against a flat surface. That was the biggest disadvantage I found to the extended releases and did not feel like buying a Vickers when I already had an extended release + sandpaper... the rest is as is.

nobody knows
06-24-11, 15:31
Thanks Guy's,I don't know what the problem was but I didn't try anything new and it's working just fine now. I retracted the slide about 100 times and it reset the trigger every time. So I'm going to go shoot the shit out of it this weekend to make sure it's okay to carry. Thanks again

Nephrology
06-24-11, 15:33
Thanks Guy's,I don't know what the problem was but I didn't try anything new and it's working just fine now. I retracted the slide about 100 times and it reset the trigger every time. So I'm going to go shoot the shit out of it this weekend to make sure it's okay to carry. Thanks again

You should detail strip it, particularly the trigger mechanism, and make sure that everything is in proper place. glocks don't just do that for no reason. You should try to diagnose and fix the problem before you hit the range.