PDA

View Full Version : Lexington, KY

Gringo
04-06-11, 14:20
A job opportunity has opened for me just outside of Lexington, KY (Winchester, to be precise), and while I've done a bit of research already, I was hoping someone could recommend a decent option(s) for range work and/or training events. My wife and I are also considering buying a decent sized parcel of land, so I would welcome any advice on the feasibility of setting up a personal range in KY as well. Additionally, I would appreciate any insight into the local CCW (I think KY refers to it as CCDW) permit process. I understand the basics of the state law, thanks to the interwebnets, but the process can tend to differ (at least here in NC), depending on the county you reside in.

Apparently, my site visit to the company next week will include a Woodford Reserve distillery tour, so I'd say we were off to a good start.

Thanks in advance.

ETA: I also shoot USPSA, IDPA, etc, so if anyone has gouge on local matches, I'd appreciate that as well.

ssracer
04-06-11, 15:14
Welcome to the bluegrass state in advance.

I can't help with much about the Lexington area as I am about an hour west on I64. The CCDW process in KY involves a full day training course with a very dry video, written test and shooting test ( 11 out of 20 hits on a standard siloette from 7 yards if I remember). Then all your paperwork goes off the sherif and beyond. You eventually get a notice in the mail, you take it to the sherifs office, get your picture taken and wait some more, then you'll get another letter that your permit is in and you go pick it up.

Check out www.KC3.com for lots of info

Country DeVil
04-06-11, 15:20
I used to live in Owensboro, if you feel like heading that way check out Whittaker guns. It's a great shop and there is an ok range down the street from them

Gringo
04-06-11, 15:49
ssracer, the link looks like good information, albeit with an...interesting photo collage on the front page. Thanks.

The CCDW process seems fairly similar to NC, although I think the firing portion here can be waived for various reasons. I wonder if the class could be as boring as the NC, though. I guess I'll find out if I wind up heading there, though.

One of the guys who used to work for me in the Marines is from the Lexington area, and he's already shouted his approval of the area and promised more info when he gets some time (he's deployed right now).

Thanks for the link.

dewman
04-06-11, 19:34
Welcome to Lexington, Gringo! It's a beautiful town...just watch out for all the crazy b-ball fans :). Bud's Gun shop has three indoor ranges; one is paper punching, one is a reactive steel range, and one is reserved for LEO. Bud's just started a thursday night shoot, were you pay $15.00 and run a course in the LEO range. I haven't done it yet, but will do soon. The reactive steel range is a blast.

Outdoors, you want to check out Bluegrass Sportsman League - $200 yearly dues and I think over 1500 acres. They have IDPA and USPSA matches. http://www.bgslinc.com/

Land you will want to check out the Winchester area and surrounding counties, but land in Lexington (Fayette Co) cost is very high. You probably can find some land in the outlining counties ranging between 2k - 5k per acre; Lex is selling 10 acres for 200k. Not sure the market to date since the real estate crash,but it didn't effect us that bad.

CCW - I think the brady campaign ranks the state of KY as number 2 worst gun laws...which means number 2 best gun laws for us locals. In Lex you will need a trust for any NFA stuff...other counties not sure..It took me basically 3 months to get my CCW and this was only do to the fact they were jammed with request. I think you can transfer your ccw. Just google CCW kentucky; state police will provide all the answer you need. Class is boring...but that's just what it is...

Welcome to the state, brah!

Gringo
04-06-11, 20:02
Welcome to the state, brah!

Man, I keep getting this, but my job/move isn't quite locked down yet. There's really only one other serious contender (in Charlotte) for me right now, but right now the KY job is edging it out.

I mentioned in PM to someone else that I had completely forgotten that Buds was there. I guess my brain has just been too fried by travel, interviews, and losing sleep because of flying tree branches hitting my hotel room windows.

Thanks for the info on the ranges. If I have time while there next week, I may check things out a bit, but I think my schedule's going to be too locked in to do so.

dewman
04-06-11, 20:11
Right on. Understand the job interview...I just finished a job interview today..which was more like "shadowing" for 8 hrs...beat down :lazy2:. Good luck on what ever route you decided to go, you can't go wrong with Lexington or Charlotte!

ssracer
04-06-11, 20:20
And don't forget to check out Buds

LMTRocks
04-07-11, 01:10
Hope the opportunity opens up for you in the area. There is also a range outside of Winchester down Rt.89 that is $50/1st yr and $30/yr after that. I can't remember the name exactly. It is in a place called Trapp---blink and you'll miss it if you know what I mean. You'll not hear banjos....

You must be a resident of the state 6 months prior to applying for the KY CCDW. Not sure if a NC license will keep you from taking the class. When I got mine it was $60/5 years. If the SD takes your photo it'll cost slightly more.

Doing a Trust is a very easy means of getting NFA items also. Many people I know say that the trust method is preferable anyway to the individual route simply due to the lack of fingerprinting, CLEO sig, and photographs. As everyone here is also mentioning Buds, they are also now C3. They have cans there and judging from the prices I was quoted you might want to talk to them. Their prices are excellent.

But be sure to go to Wally World and get a UK shirt before you've lived here too long. Anything other than will be consider blasphemous.

itsturtle
04-07-11, 01:24
I heard gun shop employees say the course can be taken without KY ID, and the certificate they give doesn't expire. However you can't send off the application for the CCDW until a legal resident and all. Not too sure if that is valid or not but I don't recall reading anything in the KRS's that say otherwise.

Which reminds me, I need to get off my ass and take the course soon.

Gringo
04-07-11, 07:08
My non-resident FL CCW is up for renewal this year, so if the timing works out, I may opt to do a change of address with it. Does KY have any issue with non-resident CCW permits?

My potential employer offers tuition assistance, so that, along with my GI Bill benefits, is probably going to spark me to work on my master's degree. So I guess I wouldn't feel too bad about wearing UK swag. Besides, I went to Navy, so it's not like those two teams are likely to meet any time soon...

Gringo
05-04-11, 08:48
For those who may have been interested, I visited Lexington last week for another round of interviews. Apparently, I did well, because I received an offer that night at dinner.

My wife, whom I refer to as COMMARCINCWIFE in official correspondence, has given her approval to go forward with the move, so I'll probably be inbound to the area in the next month or so. Although, she was not impressed with my plan for a bit of acreage to shoot on. (Damn it, I KNEW that I should have tweaked that .ppt more...)

Part of my relocation package includes a relocation agent who's also my USAA smart move guy, and a former CEO of BGSL. So I guess that works out well.

Thanks to all for the advice.

The_War_Wagon
05-04-11, 09:00
As a 9th generation Tarheel, I greatly enjoyed living in KY (Ashland) in the late '90's - it reminded me a LOT of NC before Joisey bankers took it over. :rolleyes:

The gun laws are much less restrictive, it IS a Class III/NFA-legal state, and you take the Utah-style class to get your CCW.

The Lexington/Winchester corridor is growing, so the further off the beaten path your land is, the more you can do without being bothered. Get involved in the community (Church, Scouting, Lions Club, et.al.), and you'll have plenty of like-minded friends in short order. Enjoy!