PDA

View Full Version : DC Weekend?

CyberM4
04-06-11, 17:35
My gal and I are going to DC in June. We will be flying out of Boston. Dulles or Reagan whats the difference? Plus good hotel too stay. For those that have done this. I've been too DC but not over night there.

Spooky130
04-06-11, 18:37
My gal and I are going to DC in June. We will be flying out of Boston. Dulles or Reagan whats the difference? Plus good hotel too stay. For those that have done this. I've been too DC but not over night there.

Dulles is further east of the city - the airplanes have to practically swerve to miss the Washington Monument getting into Reagan. You can get right on the Metro at Reagan as well - simplifies the process of getting around.

No ideas on hotels though. If you've never been start out on the Mall and just wander. If you like to look and read go with about two museums a day. If you like airplanes head for the newer Air and Space out by Dulles - that is a can't miss for aviation fans.

Spooky

Bubba FAL
04-06-11, 19:40
Don't forget the National Firearms Museum in nearby Fairfax, VA. Lots of stuff to see - and it's FREE!

Spurholder
04-07-11, 11:38
Hotels are plentiful...if I didn't still have family there, I'd stay in Pentagon City/Crystal City. Quick hop on the Metro to go anywhere.

Things to see:

1) The US Navy Museum at the Washington Navy Yard. No kidding. Unlike other museums, the curators allow a hands-on style of looking at things - even got a picture of my three kids sitting in the bathysphere of the Trieste. Virtually no tourists, and close to a Metro stop. Link: http://www.history.navy.mil/branches/org8_Visit.htm

2) The Udvar-Hazy Center (next to Dulles) is a neat place to visit. They've got everything from the Enola Gay to an SR-71, a space shuttle and warbirds from WWI to present. Neat place.

3) Annapolis. A quick drive east on US 50, it's a great little town, and if you like, you can tour the Naval Academy. Drive across the Bay Bridge if you dare :p, and try some Chesapeake Bay Spiced Shrimp for some awesome local cuisine.

4) Old Town Alexandria. Some neat things to do here, to include one of my favorite restaurants, "The Fish Market." Menu's awesome, and so are the "schooners" of draft beer.

Have a fun trip!

jasonhgross
04-07-11, 13:16
I have made that flight, stick with Reagan from Boston. Its super fast and the metro is right there. As to where to stay, I say downtown or in Arlington Courthouse (there is a super cheap but nice Hilton Garden Inn there that is two blocks from the metro and closer to things than crystal city).

CyberM4
04-07-11, 18:44
Thanks guys looks like Reagan is the best too fly to DC. Maybe I can get better deal by buying ticket for flight. Then find hotel without a package.

CyberM4
04-08-11, 09:53
I have made that flight, stick with Reagan from Boston. Its super fast and the metro is right there. As to where to stay, I say downtown or in Arlington Courthouse (there is a super cheap but nice Hilton Garden Inn there that is two blocks from the metro and closer to things than crystal city).

Hilton Garden Inn looks nice. Is it worth the extra $10 for the breakfast. Plus evolution room?

Business_Casual
04-08-11, 10:26
Courthouse is pretty safe, but save the $10 and wander out a deli or coffee shop. Arlington is loaded with future MILFs...

B_C