PDA

View Full Version : Confederate Flag license plates for Florida

500grains
04-06-11, 23:54
It's good to hear that not everyone is afraid of their own shadow where the confederate flag is concerned.

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/27393204/detail.html

In Florida, drivers have dozens of options when it comes to their license plates: They can support wildlife, a favorite college, the Orlando Magic or even proclaim opposition to abortion.

One option they don't have -- the Confederate flag -- has been at the center of a heated debate in the state for years. Lawmakers don't think it's appropriate. But a federal judge has ruled otherwise.

The judge ruled that the flag falls under guidelines of the "specialty plate" program, which is considered a forum of free speech.

http://www.clickorlando.com/2011/0401/27395184_400X227.jpg

Moose-Knuckle
04-07-11, 00:25
I read that story earlier, good for FL!

As a son of the Confederacy it does my heart good to see my fellow countrymen exercising their 1st Amendment rights political correctness be damned. . .

warpigM-4
04-07-11, 01:11
this is the one i had on my car for a while

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h86/PFC-JB/003-9.jpg

variablebinary
04-07-11, 02:37
The flag I wear is the only one I will ever need.

http://www.jayjayandtotte.com/flags/usa-flag-large.png

Suwannee Tim
04-07-11, 04:51
The Confederate flag has been adopted as a symbol by racist groups.

Skyyr
04-07-11, 05:46

So has the cross, that doesn't make it evil.

Trajan
04-07-11, 05:48
That isn't even the "real" Confederate flag.
This is:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_c6pRzTJ4LDc/SrliaE0jOSI/AAAAAAAAAgs/mFnmehgKN7I/s400/1stConfederateFlag1861.png
That on the license plate and used by red necks is the Battle Flag.

rob_s
04-07-11, 05:54
Always an emotional debate.

Littlelebowski
04-07-11, 06:03

And many of them use the Bible as inspiration. What's your point?

Chameleox
04-07-11, 06:19
This one would also be acceptable:
http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee467/Chameleox/800px-Confederate_National_Flag_since_Mar_4_1865svg.png

Trajan's flag and this one were flags of the CSA. The Dixie flag, with the 13 stars on the blue X and a red field, was an adaptation of the Confederate Army flag. To call it a "same difference" would be to wear a flag patch of white stars on a blue field, and calling it the American flag. Its not a true symbol of Southern culture and pride, just an adaptation of the flag of its army.

jwfuhrman
04-07-11, 06:22
QUOTED FOR TRUTH!

The flag I wear is the only one I will ever need.

http://www.jayjayandtotte.com/flags/usa-flag-large.png

Palmguy
04-07-11, 08:21

Well in that case...

http://www.rulen.com/kkk/kkkflag2.jpg

Hmmm....what now?

500grains
04-07-11, 11:32
Well in that case...

http://www.rulen.com/kkk/kkkflag2.jpg

Hmmm....what now?

Only use plaid sheets at home?

Palmguy
04-07-11, 11:34
Only use plaid sheets at home?

I was more getting at the "Stars and stripes" than the particular type of sheet the klantards are wearing.

04-07-11, 12:45
The Confederate flag means different things to different people. What someone else reads into it does not mean that is what someone else sees.

SWATcop556
04-07-11, 12:54
We've been down this road regarding the flag several times now and all of the threads have been locked or trashed. Tread very carefully and don't let this one get out of hand.

Don Robison
04-07-11, 13:03
Some people don't have to look far to be offended. I grew up in MI, but have lived in FL the last 20 years. The town I live in flies a confederate battle flag at a memorial for Bill Lundy the last confederate soldier in the area who died in 1957. It doesn't bother me in the least that they are honoring him. The NAACP has protested it in the past and was told to pound sand by the city council. I just don't understand people who look for things to offend themselves.

Littlelebowski
04-07-11, 13:05
I like folks that actually research this. (video on black Confederate reenactor/historian)

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=video&cd=1&ved=0CDUQtwIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Do8hPo6mYnks&ei=pfydTa_KKtPAgQfx7OjRBA&usg=AFQjCNHlrrQxPw0osz8JAXDPzvA1Lz1Wjw

SteyrAUG
04-07-11, 13:10

So has the fist so please put your hands in your pocket because they offend me.

Littlelebowski
04-07-11, 13:12
Like most things in life, it's neither black or white. You actually have to research and think for yourself.

A quote from the novel Tai Pan comes to mind.

"Truth wears many faces."

SteyrAUG
04-07-11, 13:14
Some people don't have to look far to be offended. I grew up in MI, but have lived in FL the last 20 years. The town I live in flies a confederate battle flag at a memorial for Bill Lundy the last confederate soldier in the area who died in 1957. It doesn't bother me in the least that they are honoring him. The NAACP has protested it in the past and was told to pound sand by the city council. I just don't understand people who look for things to offend themselves.

Thank you.

I only hope one day all of my real and genuine problems no longer exist so I have the time and inclination to go looking for imaginary shit that bothers me. Must be awesome to have your real problems so under control.

chadbag
04-07-11, 16:22
If you don't like it, don't pay the money to get it on your license plate.

I personally wouldn't but if that is your thing, more power to you. This is still America.

Moose-Knuckle
04-07-11, 16:44
That isn't even the "real" Confederate flag.
This is:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_c6pRzTJ4LDc/SrliaE0jOSI/AAAAAAAAAgs/mFnmehgKN7I/s400/1stConfederateFlag1861.png
That on the license plate and used by red necks is the Battle Flag.

It amuses me how many people don't know this. As a Texan, we were our own sovereign nation before we chose to join the US. I display many of the Texas flags. . .Goliad, Gonzalez, etc.

There is not one damn thing wrong with remembering where someone came from.

Spiffums
04-07-11, 17:15
Stars and Bars was the battle flag. It was carried along side the various state flags.

People say racists are ignorant, and the real racists are ignorant of heritage and history.

panzerr
04-07-11, 18:51
The Confederate flag is a symbol of State's rights. There is nothing wrong with that. I support it.

variablebinary
04-08-11, 04:59
The Confederate flag is a symbol of State's rights. There is nothing wrong with that. I support it.

You mean a state's right and freedom to enslave?

Have you actually read the "Declaration of Causes of Seceding States"

Ever wonder why the word slave appears 82 times?

I have a symbol for state's rights too, and it doesn't require me to fly the symbols of secessionists.

http://bound4life.com/blog/system/files/243/original/constitution.jpg

rob_s
04-08-11, 06:12
secessionists.

you use that word like it's a bad thing.

panzerr
04-08-11, 07:45

I have a symbol for state's rights too, and it doesn't require me to fly the symbols of secessionists.

The south fought the war over state's rights.

The north fought the war to preserve the union, which is required by the constitution.

Slavery just happened to be the catalyst at the time. The south was afraid the federal govn't would overrule their state's rights and in doing so destroy their economy so they seceded.

stifled
04-08-11, 07:46
People can and will find offense in any symbol you've got. I suggest instead of loading up a bunch of negative emotions in symbols, we more heavily consider the person displaying or wearing that symbol. The "confederate flag" means different things depending on who's displaying it--a racist displaying it does so for reasons entirely separate of someone who is merely a proud Southerner.

It's not the symbols at all, merely the people behind them. It's why the same symbol can mean entirely different things to different people. Thinking you can "tell by looking" has gotten to the point that it's gospel in this Kindergarten country of ours.

Moose-Knuckle
04-08-11, 15:47

http://bound4life.com/blog/system/files/243/original/constitution.jpg

LOL! I guess you over look the African slaves in the North? Or how about the Irish slaves? Ever wonder where our child labor laws come from? Northern factories ran by slave labor, Irish orphans mostly. The US flag is found way more oppresive to majority of the world than any flag of the Confederacy.

04-08-11, 21:58
Lincoln's famous "Emancipation Proclamation" only freed the slaves in the South, not the North.

panzerr
04-08-11, 22:01
Lincoln's famous "Emancipation Proclamation" only freed the slaves in the South, not the North.

That was the border states - it was completely a political move to appease the border states so they would not join the South. The Federal Government of the North did not give a crap about slavery, they only cared to preserve the union and freeing them in the South was a strategic move to encourage Southern slaves to leave the plantations and head North. What a great way to strip the south of their cheap labor it was.

variablebinary
04-08-11, 22:15
LOL! I guess you over look the African slaves in the North? Or how about the Irish slaves? Ever wonder where our child labor laws come from? Northern factories ran by slave labor, Irish orphans mostly. The US flag is found way more oppresive to majority of the world than any flag of the Confederacy.

MA, NH, NY, CT , RI, PA, NJ, VT officially abolished slavery without needing to be destroyed about 25 years before the Civil War

And I could care less about what the rest of the planet thinks of the American flag.

warpigM-4
04-08-11, 22:33
slavery was still very much alive, and in some places even expanding, in the northern colonies of British North America in the generation before the American Revolution. The spirit of liberty in 1776 and the rhetoric of rebellion against tyranny made many Americans conscious of the hypocrisy of claiming natural human rights for themselves, while at the same time denying them to Africans. Nonetheless, most of the newly free states managed to postpone dealing with the issue of slavery, citing the emergency of the war with Britain.

That war, however, proved to be the real liberator of the northern slaves. Wherever it marched, the British army gave freedom to any slave who escaped within its lines. This was sound military policy: it disrupted the economic system that was sustaining the Revolution. Since the North saw much longer, and more extensive, incursions by British troops, its slave population drained away at a higher rate than the South's. At the same time, the governments in northern American states began to offer financial incentives to slaveowners who freed their black men, if the emancipated slaves then served in the state regiments fighting the British.

When the Northern states gave up the last remnants of legal slavery, in the generation after the Revolution, their motives were a mix of piety, morality, and ethics; fear of a growing black population; practical economics; and the fact that the Revolutionary War had broken the Northern slaveowners' power and drained off much of the slave population. An exception was New Jersey, where the slave population actually increased during the war. Slavery lingered there until the Civil War, with the state reporting 236 slaves in 1850 and 18 as late as 1860.

But I agree 100% with you on the "what the world thinks of the American flag",I proudly served under that Flag and would die for it any day

HES
04-08-11, 22:59
Like most things in life, it's neither black or white. You actually have to research and think for yourself.

A quote from the novel Tai Pan comes to mind.

"Truth wears many faces."
This. The entire civil war was about so much more than slavery and yet it wasnt. The war was a complex culmination of events. Unfortunately it has been dumbed down to make it seem like slavery was the only issue. Neither the south nor the north were lily white. I think the only things that I can safely say is that the actions of both sides forever altered this nation in ways that were unimaginable to the founding fathers.

11B101ABN
04-09-11, 15:36
Meh.

Wear/display the flag of a failed and conquered state if you want. I find it amusing when folks get all bent up about a subordinate flag, like a state flag.

I'm w/ VB in that the only flag that truly matters is the current national flag.

Hmac
04-09-11, 15:52
If you don't like it, don't pay the money to get it on your license plate.

I personally wouldn't but if that is your thing, more power to you. This is still America.

Yeah...this.

I support the right of free speech, whether it manfiests itself as burning the US flag, obnoxious demonstrations at US servicemens' funerals, or displaying what is often considered a symbol of racism on one's car.

04-09-11, 16:02
The Federal Government of the North did not give a crap about slavery

That's my point. The NYT had many articles at the time talking about how much revenue the gov. would lose if the South ceded. Once again, it was about the money.

outrider627
04-09-11, 20:27
While I'm not a big fan of displaying the Confederate flag (no personal ties to its history), they chose, IMO, a poor design for the plate.

NinjaMedic
04-09-11, 21:20
It amazes me how divisive this issue still is after almost a century and a half. I have to wonder why we do not maintain similar long term psychological resentments towards the british or the Japanese. Perhaps it can only come as a result of an internal struggle rather than an outside aggressor. There are no ex-slaves, northern factory owners, or southern plantation owners on this forum as far as I can tell and yet we still attempt to frame the issue around a single precise piece of propaganda promoted by one side or the other over a hundred and fifty years ago. The war resulted from a confluence of events after decades of heated rhetoric by both sides.

Its a license plate with a historical flag that many southerners consider a piece of their heritage. Nothing more and nothing less. Are there racists and hate groups that feel it represents part of their heritage? Yes. Does that mean that every southerner who chooses to have one of these plates thinks slavery is ok? No Do I want a confederate flag on my truck? No

This is a ridiculous discussion and some very ignorant comments have already been made, this tread adds nothing to this site.

variablebinary
04-09-11, 22:06
That's my point. The NYT had many articles at the time talking about how much revenue the gov. would lose if the South ceded. Once again, it was about the money.

Which is why the word slave appears over 80 times in the Declaration of Causes of Seceding States.

Other words:

Taxes - 1
Economy - 2
Money - 2

No, slavery wasn't the issue at all :rolleyes:

chadbag
04-09-11, 22:11
Which is why the word slave appears over 80 times in the Declaration of Causes of Seceding States.

Other words:

Taxes - 1
Economy - 2
Money - 2

No, slavery wasn't the issue at all :rolleyes:

You're missing the point. Slavery was the issue that concerned the South, but was not the reason of the seceding. That was abrogation, as supposed by the South, of their Constitutional rights as sovereign states joined in a Union.

The South did not say, we are seceding so we can have slavery. They said that they were seceding because they felt aggrieved in the Union and that their rights as sovereign states in union were being violated. (Which was due to perceived threats to slavery).

And the North did not go to war to free the slaves, but to hold the union together.

So slavery was the issue behind the issue so to speak.

RogerinTPA
04-09-11, 22:13
It amuses me how many people don't know this. As a Texan, we were our own sovereign nation before we chose to join the US. I display many of the Texas flags. . .Goliad, Gonzalez, etc.

There is not one damn thing wrong with remembering where someone came from.

Agreed. Southern , Asian, Native, what ever pride, no problem.

However...unless you were born in that era, under that flag and while the war was actually going on, you point is irrelevant. That flag is divisive, as are many other symbols of pride, including Nazism. The Nazi symbol, in and of itself, was vastly distorted from it's many meaning over many cultures, globally. My point is, as of the end of the Civil War going forward, we are all Americans. How about choosing some Old Glory national pride, a symbol that joins and binds our nation together for a change, instead of a symbol that not only binds, but divides?

TOrrock
04-09-11, 22:14
Let's not refight the War of Northern Aggression on the board guys.

I can't see how anyone is changing their minds on this.