PDA

View Full Version : Crye Knee pads vs. Arc'teryx Knee Caps

Bob-USMC
04-07-11, 12:09
I've got a pair of the Crye air flex pads that I use for training and shooting competitions.
I'm a big Arc'teryx aficionado and I was wondering if anyone has had experience with both products and which they prefer.

Thanks!

Junglist
04-07-11, 12:29
I have some of the Knee Caps coming in tomorrow but I do not have the Crye Air Flex. These are the new ones we are talking about correct? If so, do you mind saying where you got them?

militarymoron
04-07-11, 12:53
are you asking whether we prefer the crye pads inside the pants vs. arcteryx knee caps outside the pants? or are you planning on putting the arcteryx knee caps inside the pant knee pad pocket?

Bob-USMC
04-07-11, 12:59
I'm just saying in general. I have some crye combat pants, but I can only use them for off-the-clock training.

I'm entertaining the idea of getting some knee caps so I don't have to bust out my crye pants every time I need some knee coverage.

Bob-USMC
04-07-11, 13:07
I have some of the Knee Caps coming in tomorrow but I do not have the Crye Air Flex. These are the new ones we are talking about correct? If so, do you mind saying where you got them?

I'll admit, this is one piece I actually broke down and went to ebay for because crye is so slow at getting their site updated.
One word of caution though, make sure, if you go the ebay route, that you don't buy a knock off. The guy I got it from has a solid reputation.

militarymoron
04-07-11, 13:22
in that case, i think you'll be happy with the kneecaps. not as comfortable as pads inside pants, as you need to keep the straps snug enough to keep them in place, but as far as outside knee pads/caps, they're very light and the most comfortable ones i've used. they came in handy this past winter when i was crawling on my roof fixing some leaks :)

usarmy15t86
04-07-11, 14:02
I've been running the Arc'teryx knee caps for about a year now. They're quite possibly the most comfortable knee pad I've worn. I have to crawl around on my knees a bit in the back of a helicopter almost everyday, and they've saved me from busting my knee on spent brass or a random bolt sitting in the floor. They do have to be tightened up to prevent from sliding/slipping, but I've come to find that the straps don't quite cut into my skin like some of the other brands of pads do. I'm also a fan of their rubberized coating, it helps give a little more traction than the plastic knee pads do.

I can't say anything on the Crye pads, but I do know that Arc'teryx makes several pairs of pants that you can actually use their knee caps sort of like the Crye pads where they'll sit in a pocket on the knee. Interesting idea, and if I ever get around to it, I might run some of those pants at the range too.

If you're active duty or an LEO, sign up for their LEAF program! You can get the knee caps a little cheaper there!

Arc'teryx LEAF (http://leaf.arcteryx.com/How-To-Apply.aspx?EN)

Hope this helps!

skd_tactical
04-08-11, 16:39
No experience with the Crye pads, but my knee caps are the best knee pads I have owned. They converted me from being an Alta wearer since 2003. I still love the Alta's - they have more padding, but the knee caps are light and I don't sweat as much in them. I keep the bottom strap pretty tight and the top loose, it's worked so far...... I still only wear them on one knee though. But the knee caps spend more time on my knees than on my ankles.

SOS

Hmac
04-08-11, 18:40
I have both the Arc'teryx Kneecaps and the Black Diamond Telekneesis, more experience with the latter. I think the two brands are about equivalent in comfort, weight, and protection. The Black Diamonds stay in place better on me.