PDA

View Full Version : SCAR rail extensions: PWS, FN, or TangoDown?

IZinterrogator
04-08-11, 11:36
Pulled the trigger on buying a SCAR 17S yesterday, and I'm waiting on the transfer. I had shied away from the SCAR in the past due to the forearm feeling too short for the way I shoot, but the release of the rail extensions along with other new aftermarket support for the SCAR convinced me to ditch the SOCOM II and switch over. So which extension has been working out the best for all you SCAR owners out there?

markm
04-08-11, 11:39
Have you seen the VLTOR handguard/rail set up for the SCAR?

It seems to be hot shit to people familiar with the SCAR. I wouldn't have known what it was if they didn't tell me when they handed it to me. :p

IZinterrogator
04-08-11, 12:38
I've seen it, but it's shorter than I would like and it's not enclosed at the top.

MountainRaven
04-08-11, 19:38
Is the Vltor handguard even going to be available this year?

scoutfsu99
04-08-11, 19:42
I have the PWS and it's a solid rail. I ended up cutting almost half of it off to lighten it a bit. I liked it before, but love it now.
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii64/scb9900/Guns%20and%20stuff/DSC02342.jpg

motoduck
04-09-11, 06:56
I put a PWS on my SCAR. When I received the PWS, I was impressed with quailty, workmanship and detail of the product. It is very well made. The instructions were clear and straight forward. After shooting a couple hundred rounds it became slightly loose. I was very surprised. I tightened the one loose fastner (fixed the problem), reapplied more locktight and attributed it to operater error (Me, the installer) rather than the design. I have not had it back out to the range yet.

BaronFitz
04-09-11, 08:30
I've heard the PWS is a cast iron PITA to install. Any truth to that, or is that coming from people that have no business monkeying with a gun?

scoutfsu99
04-09-11, 08:37
It's very easy. A monkey could do it...there are even color picture instructions that come with the rail. One thing worth noting is putting anti seize paste on the barrel locking (?? #231 on the schematics) screws. Some how, I managed to snap one. It was easy to fix, but I was only able to do so b/c someone helped me out (again) with some parts. I've been procrastinating on calling FN for parts, but plan on doing it this week. They should sell those screws...
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii64/scb9900/DSC02307.jpg
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii64/scb9900/DSC02308.jpg

BaronFitz
04-09-11, 08:51
That's good to know that they have good instructions. I've had a few that were less than helpful.

(Mesa Tactical's side-saddle shell holder for my 870 comes to mind...no pictures, and the instructions were a confusing mess of if-then statements for different models. I felt like I deserved a cookie or something for figuring those out and not dorking up my gun.)

motoduck
04-09-11, 09:01
I've heard the PWS is a cast iron PITA to install. Any truth to that, or is that coming from people that have no business monkeying with a gun?

Bad Info, PWS is aluminium and I guess, the install, is dependant on your skill level? The instructions as well as a video are available on line (PWS web site) so one can determine if they have the tools and the skill set.
I will say heat was needed on the bottom rail screws (as per instructions) to break the thread locker and I did not like the way the barrel extension screws are set up/designed. It seems to me they could/would be easily stripped or broken. I would not like to change barrels on this gun often, JMHO.

Stephen_H
04-09-11, 09:11
The two screws that attach the bottom rail to the barrel extension and the barrel "yoke" have some sort of screw adhesive on them that is pretty stout and the screws have shallow torx heads. I've sheared one of them trying to remove it and had to drill it out. When removing either of these screws apply some heat, use a solid fixture, and take your time. That being said, I've been able to find all the screws used to put the SCAR together at McMaster-Carr (except the six proprietary barrel screws).

Stephen

BaronFitz
04-09-11, 09:13
If I may expose my ignorance for all to see, how does one apply heat without damaging something?

308smk
04-09-11, 15:30
If I may expose my ignorance for all to see, how does one apply heat without damaging something?

Heatgun will usually do it. I think as long as you dont take open flame to it you'll be fine.

MountainRaven
04-09-11, 16:07
But in the How-To video, they show a propane torch being used.

scoutfsu99
04-09-11, 17:22
You can definitely use a propane torch on the bottom rail. Not sure of the others.

Stephen_H
04-10-11, 15:04
I use the same kind of small torch used to finish off a creme brulee. As long as there are no plastic or rubber components nearby, I've never had an issue.

Stephen

Shark
04-11-11, 01:25
I've also heard of guys using soldering irons and placing it directly on the screw to heat it up and loosen.

IZinterrogator
04-11-11, 15:45
So is that a ringing endorsement of the PWS unit over the others or has this just turned into an installation how-to thread?

BaronFitz
04-11-11, 18:13
Sorry about my contribution to threat drift... I have a 17S on the way, and I'm interested to see what options are out there for rail extensions too. I don't see TD's offering on their website though.

IZinterrogator
04-11-11, 18:30
TD just displayed a prototype at SHOT, they haven't put anything in production yet.

scoutfsu99
04-11-11, 18:31
TD's rail is in the process now correct? Shouldn't it be out sometime later in the year?

IZinterrogator
04-11-11, 18:37
Last I heard, they were trying to decide if the market was there to bring it to production. That info is a few months old, though.

Iraqgunz
04-12-11, 03:03
I was really impressed with the Vltor version we saw at the factory. If I had a SCAR I would be be burglarizing their place at night to get the stuff. I also like the M4 style adaptor conversion.

west996
04-12-11, 12:49
I received an email response from Tango Down shortly after the SHOT Show stating that they were going forward with all of the SCAR accessories. If I remember correctly the rail system was the longest wait. I think they estimated 16 weeks.