PDA

View Full Version : Need some backpack recommendations

rjacobs
04-08-11, 18:20
As the title says I am searching for a backpack and I need some recommendations. I have looked at a ton at REI and Cabela's, but I honestly dont know shit about them or what to look for.

I have been doing some hiking lately, mostly just day stuff, but I want to get into doing some overnight primitive camping, maybe 2 nights out at the most I think, at least right now.

So I am looking for a pack that can carry enough for at least 2 days, figure I should buy a little more than I need and grow into it. I need to be able to carry a one man tent, small sleeping bag and possibly a sleeping pad of some kind. probably lash one of them to the outside of the bag. Im still up in the air one what other stuff I want/need to get(water purifier, small stove, etc...) to fill it out.

I am not sure on what the various sizes mean. I think a 35(liter I guess it is) seems to be about right, but a bit larger(45 or 55) dont seem like they weigh much more empty, yet they hold a ton more stuff.

So I need some learning on backpacks for hiking.

Pathfinder Ops
04-08-11, 18:26
I like Eberlestock.
Tactical and non-tactical.

The customer service is top shelf as is the gear.

rjacobs
04-08-11, 18:34
I like Eberlestock.
Tactical and non-tactical.

The customer service is top shelf as is the gear.

I agree that their stuff and service is top notch, but I dont think they have anything like what I am looking for. The Just One pack looks pretty good and something I could use, but they only have the mossy oak camo pattern, which isnt something I want. Plus most of their packs have a gun scabard, which again, I could see myself using maybe once a year. Plus the prices are a bit much for what I am looking to spend.

I would like to stay under 200 bucks.

Pathfinder Ops
04-08-11, 18:41
I agree that their stuff and service is top notch, but I dont think they have anything like what I am looking for. The Just One pack looks pretty good and something I could use, but they only have the mossy oak camo pattern, which isnt something I want. Plus most of their packs have a gun scabard, which again, I could see myself using maybe once a year. Plus the prices are a bit much for what I am looking to spend.

I would like to stay under 200 bucks.

Yeah I'm not big on the Mossy Oak camo stuff.

I have 2 of their packs in OD Green.

And for the record the gun scabbards are not permanently attached. You can remove them as needed.

Price.... yeah I hear ya.:eek:

Anyways.... Luck to ya and I'll be following this thread cuz its a topic I'm kinda interested in as well.

By the way... what's you height? A guy in my department is selling a REALLY decent NorthFace pack. Internal frame etc. Its for people 5' 10" or less. If thats of interest I can get some pics up for ya.

LHS
04-08-11, 19:21
When I used to go camping/hiking/backpacking on a regular basis, I used an Eagle A-III pack for short day hikes up to three-day trips. I lashed my Thermarest pad, sleeping bag and shelter half to the outside of the pack, and used the pack belt that came with the pack. It always worked fine for me.

kest_01
04-08-11, 19:49
Take a look at So Tech, comes in a bunch of colors both mil and civilian. I've used a good deal of their kit and its stood up to hard use pretty well. Plus it comes in under your 200 dollar cap.

Tortuga
04-08-11, 21:21
Pack preference is SOOOOO individual. You can poll 100 avid hikers and get just as many recommendations.
I recommend you get the Backpacker annual buyers guide and look at their reviews/recommendations on packs.

If you want a bulletproof tactical pack, by all means for for it (I love me some Eberlestock Terminator), but when I'm just our hiking/camping for me, I grab a nice light civilian pack.

I'd stay away from a one size fits all, we can adjust the entire frame to fit you pack. Find a pack that comes in distinct sizes and find the size that fits your torso. REI, LL Bean, EMS, and other reputable stores have bags and sacks of weight, load them up with what your kit would be and walk around the store for a spell, look for hot spots, areas that just don't feel right...and hopefully that pack that feels....just right. Also, a reputable store will spend time talking packs and have you try on A LOT of packs to make sure you get the right one.

Take a look at Ospreys packs...especially in the 50L range. It's hard to go wrong with any of their models.

Oh, and beware of the big pack...even though the pack itself doesn't weigh much more or cost much more than a smaller version...the instinctual desire to fill it up always takes hold...it'll suck you in every time. Many folks fall into that trap and wind up selling off that pack for a smaller one down the road...or have a wall of used packs they hardly use (ask me how I know).

Armati
04-08-11, 21:33
If you have the coin, check out the Mystery Ranch packs. If you plan on wearing body armor it is the only option.

Osprey makes some great packs for general use. REI offers their belt molding service. Arcteryx is also very good but expensive - so good in fact that the USMC contracted them for the ILBE.

As others have said, it is a very individual choice. No two people are built the same. I would go into a good store like REI or HTO and actually try on some packs. The customer service folks can be very helpful. And again, just because you can fill your pack doesn't mean you should. I have become very weight sensitive over the years. Even in my prime, a 12 mile ruck with a 70+ pound pack sucked. These days, I scrutinized every item for weight and usefulness.

Neville
04-08-11, 22:43
I would really try to cut weight as much as possible in the big three (tent, rucksack, sleeping bag). As far as
rucksacks are concerned, take a look at the cuben fibre offerings- 200gram rucks are possible today. Far too
many newbies quit hiking soon because of the weight of their stuff.

http://www.zpacks.com/backpacks.shtml

HES
04-08-11, 23:08
Another place to look is Kifaru. They have a tactical and non tactical version of just about every bag they make. They also offer a wide variety of bags and packs. I eventually made the decision to go with the MMR and the Scout add on and havent regretted it.

As for gear, like buying a quality AR, buy once, it may be costly, but worth it. Make sure you get the lightest gear you possibly can when it comes to your tent, sleeping pad, etc... For that stuff besides Slumberjack and the like, check out Alps Mountaineering.

Bsully
04-09-11, 06:39
Check out Badlands pack (http://www.badlandspacks.com/index.php?go=Packs_AllPacks)

Kirkrv8
04-09-11, 06:59
I really like my Opsrey backpack:D

hatidua
04-09-11, 10:10
Get a pack that when loaded, is comfortable, on you. That quite likely won't be the one that is comfortable for me, so there's no point in my suggesting a given brand/model, or anyone else doing it either.

When looking at packs, load them with the same amount of weight you'd carry into the boonies, and walk around the store for as long as needed - a good shop won't care if you stroll around for a half hour with a pack loaded up.

Many times, a pack that is two pounds heavier when empty than it's competitor will carry a heavy load more comfortably so don't strictly look at "sub-4#-packs" and expect that weight savings not to have consequences.

Buy a pack from a store that knows how to fit and adjust packs to customers. A poorly fitting pack is miserable, and the correct size of that same pack can be wonderful.

Lastly, pick a pack based on the season it will be used in unless you plan on having a single pack for all seasons. A Spring/Summer/Fall pack will not have enough capacity for true Winter use.

mattjmcd
04-09-11, 15:00
... the best medium-duty GP packs around, IMO.

3 AE
04-09-11, 15:03
You can multiply the volume in liters by 60 to give you the approximate volume in cubic inches. Most US brands list their pack volume in cubic inches while European brands are listed in liters. Something in the 2500 CI (40L) to 3000 CI (50L) would pretty much cover what you need for a weekend outing. If you're planning for a week or longer then something in the 5000 to 6000 CI would suffice. Seasonal considerations will have a large impact on your choices.

rjacobs
04-09-11, 17:59
thanks for all the advice. I will have to check it all out when I get home from work tomorrow night. i liked the looks of the osprey packs when I looked at them and they were fairly comfortable. I guess looking at the ~50l packs will be a good place to start. I will not be doing any winter hiking or camping, im not that hard core, at least not yet. I found a really nice pack that I liked alot from Millet, but it was more of a mountaineering pack and didnt have anywhere to lash anything to the outside. I think it was a 45l pack.

I just wish I could get some more people interested in hiking and primitive camping since I go alone most of the time, which is ok usually, but most of my buddies ideas of camping is car camping or my dads is a 35' 5th wheel with all the comforts(plus some) of home.

huklbrry
04-10-11, 09:53
I love my Kifaru ZXR. Mystery Ranch is also a company to check out. If you want something a little less tacticool, check out Duluth Packs. I just picked up the Pathfinder Pack for $200(about 3,000 cu. in.) Its a great 24-72 hr. pack. Great for bushcrafting/hiking.

trappernana
04-10-11, 10:44
Check out the gregory "reality" It's a great medium duty pack.:D

rjacobs
04-11-11, 22:10
Went down to REI today and looked at the Osprey packs. The Atmos 50 seemed to me to be what I want. However for like 30 bucks more they had the Atmos 65. Im wondering if I should go for the slightly larger pack. Sitting them side by side empty they didnt seem that much different in size. Just not sure I would use the extra 15l of space, although I almost would rather have slightly to much space than slightly not enough space.

3 AE
04-11-11, 23:16
When I bought a pack at my local REI many years ago, I put all of my gear that I would bring on a weekend trip in a large duffel bag and took it with me to the store. No problems putting my gear into several different packs to see how it felt. I walked around the store for about an hour just to get a feel for what felt the best. All of the sales people just grinned and nodded.They understood. I don't know if they would allow it today but you can call and ask. You'll find out pretty quick what fits where and how quick you can access gear you need in a hurry. I sized mine so that there was a little more room that I could cinch down with the compression straps. Not so much where you can't help stuffing more gear in because your mind is telling you "just in case". At the same token you don't want a pack that is sized to just barely carry what you need and the zippers are straining a bit. The pack zippers will take a beating and blowout for sure down the line.

dan1775
04-11-11, 23:24
You might consider a surplus medium ALICE pack and frame. I upgraded mine with side-release buckles and Tactical Tailor straps and belt. Cheap, bombproof (for the price anyway, although it isn't Marine-proof), and the outside pockets are quite handy. I didn't love it when Uncle Sam thrust it upon me, but I have grown pretty fond of it.

I also have Kifaru, which are incredible packs. Your $200 might come close to getting you a used Zulu, which is just about perfect for a 48-hour loadout. The Express gets rave reviews, although I have no firsthand experience with it. Might be a bit smaller than you need.

You might also look on the hunting side of Kifaru as well, if you don't need/want the modularity (and consequent weight) of the military packs.

tacdrivrnc
05-11-11, 10:59
don't know how I overlooked this thread...
go with the Osprey Atmos 65...prices look to be around $200 to $250 depending on where you look. And you might find last years model at various places online for a little less.
I have a Aether 60 that I got soon after they first came out and have put many miles on it. I own a few packs and this is always my go-to pack for 3-season backpacking.
Plus, Osprey has a lifetime guaranty on their packs...can't beat that!

As for packing...with the 65 liter you can still fit a 20 degree bag in the bottom...good for late fall/early spring camping, and hold some extra food or layers up top.

As mentioned earlier, try to keep you big three items under 10 pounds: pack, sleeping bag, tent. At about 3 1/2 pounds, the Osprey should work well. A good 20 degree bag should be around 2 to 3 pounds, with summer weight 40 degree bags between a 1/2 to 2 pounds. The for a solo tent you can find a few options for around 3 pounds. MSR and Big Agnes make some good 3 pound tents. For the room I'd say either a Big Agnes Fly Creek Ultralight 2 (more room than the UL 1), or a cheaper option is the MSR Hubba (or a Zoid if you can still find one).
Also, getting into backpacking is not cheap...you'll have $1k in gear before you know it...you can easily spend 600 on the big three. But, it's all in the initial investment. If you maintain and store the gear properly, you should at least get 10 to 15 or more years of use from it.

theblackknight
05-11-11, 16:09
You might consider a surplus medium ALICE pack and frame. I upgraded mine with side-release buckles and Tactical Tailor straps and belt. Cheap, bombproof (for the price anyway, although it isn't Marine-proof), and the outside pockets are quite handy. I didn't love it when Uncle Sam thrust it upon me, but I have grown pretty fond of it.

There is a reason peope still use them to ruck with on thier own time.

TommyG
05-11-11, 22:51
My favorite pack in that size range is an ancient Dana Designs Bomb Pack. I don't think they can be had any more. Dana was absorbed by Marmot and the packs don't seem as nice.

Find a climbing/pack shop that will let you try them on with weight in them and walk around a bit. Something that looks and feels good empty in the store might really suck for you after a few miles with a load in it. Everyone is built differently and packs are all built and cut a little different. The frame packs/rucks mentioned already have been serving people well for a lot of years and should not be overlooked either. Turn your inner gear weenie loose and go look at/try a ton of em. You will find one that feels best for you.

Grayling14
05-17-11, 05:11
I have been an avid backpacker for over 25 years, and what Tortuga said is spot-on, pack fit is very individualisitc . . . meaning what works for one person may not be best for the next person, even if they are the same size.
My recommendations would be:
1) Research pack types, sizes, uses. REI.com and Backpacker.com have good general info on their sites, but so do many other suppliers.
2) E-mail your questions to customer service reps at sites where you are looking at packs, many, (although not all), are knowledgable on their products and are willing to help.
3) Talk to a knowledgable/competent salesperson at a quality outdoor store if you have one within driving distance of you, and get fitted for a pack that fits your physique.
4) Try to buy from an outfit that will let you return the pack if you find out after a trip or two that it is not what you want (REI has an excellent return policy).
5) Trying on a loaded pack in the store is a good first step, but being on the trail for 5, 10, 15 miles is the true test, and you won't really know until you get there.
6) As most of us here know from experience, HOW the pack is loaded will help determine whether it rides well, or not.
Hope this helps somewhat, and good luck.

docsherm
05-17-11, 06:50
If you are looking for a good durable pack that will last I say take the plunge and get a KIFARU Pack. For what you are talking about needing I would suggest getting the Express (non-MOLLE). It is not too big yet you can carry a lot of gear in it. If you find that you need more room add a few pouches to it. If you get it in Coyote with a non-MOLLE belt it does not even look too military. I used that same pack in Africa a few years ago on a deployment. It is a very comfortable system and will take a beating and keeps going. I have had my Express for almost 5 years now and it is great. I also have a Zulu, Scout, Marauder, 2 E&E packs and several pouches to add to them. These products are top notch. Yes they are a little pricy, but you get what you pay for and a lot more.

Kifaru Express
https://kifaru.net/express.html

CarbonCycles
05-19-11, 07:29
Little more input than the advice given above.

Find a reputable shop that has experienced employees. Good packs are modular in that you can swap out the hip belt, tune the stays in the frame (if so equipped) to suit your body, etc. A good shop will take the time (sometimes hours) to find a pack that suits your needs and then tailor it to your body.

As someone mentioned, everyone will give their own personal recommendation, but packs such as the original Dana Designs (now Mystery Ranch), Osprey, etc. use quality components and material that will not leave you stranded on an extended hike out in the middle of nowhere. Finally, pick a pack that is LARGER THAN YOU THINK. It's easy to compress down a larger pack than it is to try to overstretch a smaller pack....granted a smaller pack forces you to really think what you need to bring but certain creature comforts just win out.

jsebens
05-19-11, 10:27
Little more input than the advice given above.

Find a reputable shop that has experienced employees. Good packs are modular in that you can swap out the hip belt, tune the stays in the frame (if so equipped) to suit your body, etc. A good shop will take the time (sometimes hours) to find a pack that suits your needs and then tailor it to your body.

As someone mentioned, everyone will give their own personal recommendation, but packs such as the original Dana Designs (now Mystery Ranch), Osprey, etc. use quality components and material that will not leave you stranded on an extended hike out in the middle of nowhere. Finally, pick a pack that is LARGER THAN YOU THINK. It's easy to compress down a larger pack than it is to try to overstretch a smaller pack....granted a smaller pack forces you to really think what you need to bring but certain creature comforts just win out.

This is all great advice; I'd add one thing. Buying a larger pack than you need will usually lead you to trying to fill it. Don't make this mistake. Either pack by weight (not volume), or if you can't make yourself stop filling it to capacity, buy a smaller pack to force you to pack smaller. It's similar to the "MOLLE Complex" that makes guys load every inch of their rigs with pouches.

rjacobs
05-19-11, 12:04
I still havent bought anything simply because I havent had the money(have had a month of 2 steps forward 3 steps back financially). I really liked the Osprey packs I tried out at REI and will 95% end up with one of them. REI has their big anniversary sale this week and the Osprey Aether 70 is on sale for 200 plus a 20% off members only coupon. I really dont think I need/want a 70 liter pack, but its a damn good price at $160.

91Bravo
05-19-11, 18:13
I have spent considerable time carrying packs long distances over the past 50 years. The advice above is generally good except

1. Don't get an old ALICE pack. We called them "kidney killers" back in the late 60's but they were the best the Army had in those days. Today I have spinal compression disease perhaps caused by carrying to much weight in them.

2. I come down on the get a "big enough" pack for your longest, coldest trip. Too small forces you to tie gear on the outside which inevitably falls off or off balances the pack. Foam pads or sleeping bags tied on the outside get wet in rain or snow as well.

Other than that I like Lowe packs.

Hammer27
05-20-11, 18:01

This isn't such a bad idea. They're cheap and not half bad with aftermarket straps and hip belts. Also, as you move up to bigger packs or want something different, there are a bunch of larger/more advanced rucks on the market that are made for the ALICE system. So you could basically keep the same frame and straps set up and just be switching packs. Let's not forget that if you bend a frame, damage a strap (though this would be pretty tough), etc. they're pretty easy to replace.

eo500
05-20-11, 21:56
I can vouch for getting properly fitted as each manufacturer has different models, and a pack that is perfect for one person may not work at all for another. I bought a pack online that a friend of mine swore by, and it was the most uncomfortable thing I've ever strapped on. I tried to have a local shop fit it by bending the internal supports and adjusting the belt but it still sucked. My buddy ended up with a spare pack and I bought a different pack locally after I had it fitted properly.

Also spend some serious time considering the size of pack you want to get. Remember that having a giant pack often means that you will be tempted to carry more than you really need. Of course if you are going to be using it for two week outings, then you really do need a large pack. While you can underpack a large pack, it usually won't carry as well as a smaller pack that is packed tight.

xanderzuk
05-21-11, 00:27
Ok so in 2009 I thru-hiked the Appalachian Trail (2,178 miles).It took six months (March 29th - October 6). I had never been "hiking" before the trip, and so my knowledge of light weight was really relegated to what normal people (or lets just call them amateur hikers) thought of as being light. Boy was I in for a lesson.

Here's how far I walked:
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x83/xanderzuk/at-map.jpg

Here's me in the White Mountains:
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x83/xanderzuk/IMG_4075.jpg

Anyway, your load out for a two day trip really shouldn't weight more than 15-20 lbs.

I've compiled a list for you of what I think is the best gear for just about all situations/durations.

PM me if you'd like to know more.

Gear List:
So starting out with that pack (1lb 1oz.) http://www.ula-equipment.com/cdt.asp

Tent - these things are extremely durable (1lb 12.5 oz) http://tarptent.com/moment.html

Sleeping Bag - not sure if you use down, but these are the absolute best (2 lbs) http://www.westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=Products&page=Sleeping%20Bags&cat=Microfiber%20Series&ContentId=21

Sleeping Pad - not as light as some but thick and comfy and insulated so warm (1 lb 8oz)
http://bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Pad/InsulatedAirCore

Stove - mega hot burner, went the whole trail with me (1.9 oz yes you read that correctly)
http://www.snowpeak.com/stoves/backpacking/litemax-titanium-stove-gst-120.html

Gas Canister for stove - (6.4 oz) http://www.snowpeak.com/stoves/accessories/gigapower-fuel-110-gold-gp-110g.html

Cookware - (4.8 oz) http://www.snowpeak.com/cookware/backpacking/trek-700-titanium-scs-005t.html

Water Purification - I ditched the filter and only use drops (2 oz) http://aquamira.com/consumer/aquamira-water-treatment-drops

Platypus 2 Liter - personally I think they're better than Camelbak (3.6 oz) http://cascadedesigns.com/platypus/hydration-systems/hoser/product

Rain/Wind Shell - (10 oz) http://www.golite.com/Product/ProdDetail.aspx?p=109004110&mc=169&t=&lat=

Ok, so I didn't include any kind of cold weather gear, socks etc. Food and water depends on how long you're going and what you want so I obviously didn't include that weight as it will vary. This is a base weight only load out, but for all of the essentials which I pretty much covered you're only at 8lbs 2.2 oz if I did my math correctly. Which means that for the recommended weight of 25lbs for that specific pack, you still have an extra 16.5 lbs of food and additional clothes, camera, knife, bazooka lol whatever you want to carry.

Anyway a little food for thought. Hope you enjoy some of the stuff.

rjacobs
05-21-11, 12:15
Anyway, your load out for a two day trip really shouldn't weight more than 15-20 lbs.

I've compiled a list for you of what I think is the best gear for just about all situations/durations.

Gear List:

Tent - these things are extremely durable (1lb 12.5 oz) http://tarptent.com/moment.html

Sleeping Bag - not sure if you use down, but these are the absolute best (2 lbs) http://www.westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=Products&page=Sleeping%20Bags&cat=Microfiber%20Series&ContentId=21

Sleeping Pad - not as light as some but thick and comfy and insulated so warm (1 lb 8oz)

Stove - mega hot burner, went the whole trail with me (1.9 oz yes you read that correctly)

Gas Canister for stove - (6.4 oz) http://www.snowpeak.com/stoves/accessories/gigapower-fuel-110-gold-gp-110g.html

Cookware - (4.8 oz) http://www.snowpeak.com/cookware/backpacking/trek-700-titanium-scs-005t.html

Water Purification - I ditched the filter and only use drops (2 oz) http://aquamira.com/consumer/aquamira-water-treatment-drops

Platypus 2 Liter - personally I think they're better than Camelbak (3.6 oz) http://cascadedesigns.com/platypus/hydration-systems/hoser/product

Rain/Wind Shell - (10 oz) http://www.golite.com/Product/ProdDetail.aspx?p=109004110&mc=169&t=&lat=

Ok, so I didn't include any kind of cold weather gear, socks etc. Food and water depends on how long you're going and what you want so I obviously didn't include that weight as it will vary. This is a base weight only load out, but for all of the essentials which I pretty much covered you're only at 8lbs 2.2 oz if I did my math correctly. Which means that for the recommended weight of 25lbs for that specific pack, you still have an extra 16.5 lbs of food and additional clothes, camera, knife, bazooka lol whatever you want to carry.

Excellent list of stuff. I will check it all out.

8200rpm
05-22-11, 21:46
Check out the gregory "reality" It's a great medium duty pack.:D

GREGORY is AWESOME.

The suspension system makes or breaks the pack. Gregory really does an EXCELLENT job of putting the load right against your hips rather than pulling on your shoulders.

I did two trips to the summit of Mt. Whitney (14,500' ASL) with Gregory packs. Once with a Shasta and the second time with a Reality. In my backpacking days, I did a lot of homework on packs, and I would definitely recommend Gregory.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f9/Mount_Whitney_2003-03-25.jpg

I know the "tacti-poser" crowd just buys any Chinese-made book bag adorned with digicam, MOLLE and covered with a bunch of useless pockets. If you want to hate your trip and have a sore back and shoulders, these are perfect.

RWK
05-24-11, 10:51
I did two trips to the summit of Mt. Whitney (14,500' ASL) with Gregory packs. Once with a Shasta and the second time with a Reality.

Neither of which is available from Gregory. Anything in their current catalog that's comparable?

rjacobs
05-24-11, 11:03
xanderzuk: Do you have any experience with the Circuit pack from Ula? I like the fact that it has a little more padding for the back which to me looks like it may be a bit more comfortable than the pack you listed.

xanderzuk
05-24-11, 12:10
I personally would avoid Gregory. Their packs are relatively heavy, and I witnessed about half a dozen have their plastic hip support shear off during my thru hike.

They will still function when the plastic shears, just not as well.

The upside is they have great customer service.

xanderzuk
05-24-11, 12:17
xanderzuk: Do you have any experience with the Circuit pack from Ula? I like the fact that it has a little more padding for the back which to me looks like it may be a bit more comfortable than the pack you listed.

I do have experience with it, and I can tell you unequivocally without a doubt that you will love it - much more support yet still light weight. Another one you might take a look at is the El Camino; depending on your loadout a panel loader can be very convenient. I haven't used it yet but my friend has, so ill ask him his thoughts.

rjacobs
05-24-11, 17:00
I do have experience with it, and I can tell you unequivocally without a doubt that you will love it - much more support yet still light weight. Another one you might take a look at is the El Camino; depending on your loadout a panel loader can be very convenient. I haven't used it yet but my friend has, so ill ask him his thoughts.

I will take a peak at it. The Epic also looks cool in that it is more a frame only and you use dry bags in it and then adjust the straps to hold the bag.

I think the Circuit would work well for me though.

8200rpm
05-24-11, 22:39
Neither of which is available from Gregory. Anything in their current catalog that's comparable?

The only holdover that shares the same construction as the Reality and Shasta is the Denali Pro 105. But, the Denali is an absolute monster.

Size wise, the Baltoro 65 and 75 seem comparable to the Reality and Shasta. I'm not sure if there's been any drastic updates to the suspension system. Plastic hip supports shearing is not good news.

91Bravo
05-25-11, 21:01
If you atre looking for a military (and inexpensive) pack consider the USMC ILBE pack designed by Arcteyrx. You can get them off ebay.

It's far and away more comfortable than my old ALICE large. I bought a Recon version ILBE recently and consider it bombproof. My only objection to it is that it's extremely well built and as a result heavy, 6.5lbs for 5000 cu in. My most frequently used pack is a Lowe Contour IV at 5.5 lbs. But it is also too heavy. I have looked at the Ula untralights (2lbs) but can't seem to get by the lightness of the fabric. 1.9oz ripstop won't survive much bushwacking.

Packs are a huge compromise. IN 40 years I have not found one that is completely satisfactory.

theblackknight
05-28-11, 23:54
If you atre looking for a military (and inexpensive) pack consider the USMC ILBE pack designed by Arcteyrx. You can get them off ebay.

One good thing about the ILBE and you can put most of the weight in the hip belt, run the shoulder straps light, and save your shoulders.

OldState
05-29-11, 00:26
These Granite Gear packs are AWESOME. I have one circa 2006. They have been very well reviewed for several years and were a favorite with thru-hikers on the AT. They are very minimalist (mine didn't have a top flap; it just synched!) and is really one big bag. I have owned many packs over the last 25 years and this is hands down the best I've used. I organize with diddy bags. I have gone out for 4 days in the White Mountains NH (you usually need to pack extra clothes for this area) and 3800 ci is enough for 3 season backpacking.

They are very light but the shoulder straps and belt are over built and very comfortable.

http://www.granitegearstore.com/Nimbus-Meridian-P13C7.aspx

Even looks like they have a tactical line now.

omega21
05-30-11, 09:55
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the CFP-90. They are easily found and cheap (just got one on this forum for $100) which is a criteria rjacobs mentioned. I know they are a bit large, but I've had good experience hiking with mine and distributing the weight well onto the hips. Others have thoughts about this pack?

Grand58742
06-01-11, 01:01
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the CFP-90. They are easily found and cheap (just got one on this forum for $100) which is a criteria rjacobs mentioned. I know they are a bit large, but I've had good experience hiking with mine and distributing the weight well onto the hips. Others have thoughts about this pack?

It's hit and miss with those. I've had two blow out on me, particularly the yoke yanking out of the frame. Another I had started tearing in the cloth (not at the seams). And I've seen more than a few broken. For me, it's not worth the time, money or trouble of using it. Others apparently have have better luck with theirs.

Having said that, the original Lowe Alpine versions are apparently G2G. I picked up on a while back out of a DRMO box and it seemed to be better quality than the SDS versions. Haven't used it yet, but the problems with the SDS versions (in particular the yoke) are missing with the Lowe version.

Det-Sog
06-14-11, 11:07
How about the Camelbak BFM? http://www.camelbak.com/Military-Tactical/Packs/2011-BFM.aspx

The Motherlode is a hair smaller and cheaper. Both look like viable candidates.

I'm needing a better pack for hiking/camping. Being here in Texas (HOT), me thinks the hydration being built in will be a huge plus. Gotta carry the water anyway, right? This looks easier than carrying a canteen separately.

I have the small Camelbak ambush pack for LE work and small jaunts on the bike trails. They Make quality stuff.

Glad I found this thread.

Dave L.
06-14-11, 12:11
Does anyone know if the OD green Medium Alice Pack (Brand New, made in USA) is still available?
Brigade Quartermasters was the last company I knew of that carried them.

docsherm
06-15-11, 03:52
Does anyone know if the Medium Alice Pack (Brand New, made in USA) is still available?
Brigade Quartermasters was the last company I knew of that carried them.

PM sent

Jteck31
06-20-11, 09:33
I haven't heard any comment on mountainsmith packs. I picked up bridger 4000 about three years ago and its been an excellent pack. I've used the mollies and ilbe military packs alot but switched to a lighter pack and can't complain. Great pack for 100 bucks.

Det-Sog
03-01-12, 12:51
Take a look at Ospreys packs...especially in the 50L range. It's hard to go wrong with any of their models.

DONE! Time to revisit this thread.

Been looking at packs for several months now. I just pulled the trigger on a 55L Osprey. Dang, I am impressed with their product line. They have everything from just serious, to holy sh*t serious.

I tried a few different brands, and the Osprey seemed to be the best overall. Their guarantee is pretty much unconditional. I loaded the thing up in the store and wore it around for a bit. Fits like a glove.

Whether a weekend trip to the national forest, or having to live out of it for a few days on a call-out, I am sure this will do the trick. I'm going camping for a week the end of this month. I will give it a good shake down.

TheGut
03-01-12, 15:32
You can't go wrong with Osprey in my opinion. Every product they make is well thought out and well put together. I do ultralight overnight backpacking with an Osprey Manta 30. That thing is just designed flawlessly for the task. I'm in the market soon for a new pack for long hikes when I try out some of Colorado's fourteeners this summer. First thing I will check out is Osprey's offerings.

Battle*Hound
03-01-12, 20:42
Ok so in 2009 I thru-hiked the Appalachian Trail (2,178 miles).It took six months (March 29th - October 6). I had never been "hiking" before the trip, and so my knowledge of light weight was really relegated to what normal people (or lets just call them amateur hikers) thought of as being light. Boy was I in for a lesson.

Here's how far I walked:
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x83/xanderzuk/at-map.jpg

Here's me in the White Mountains:
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x83/xanderzuk/IMG_4075.jpg

Gear List:

Good for you man!!! That's something I would like to do also

Battle*Hound
03-01-12, 20:45
+1 Eberlestock

For the money you are talking<$200, maybe look at the Camelbak BFG. I have no xp with it but I had eyed it for awhile before getting the Eberlestock