PDA

View Full Version : How critical is lower in a build?

Tclardy
04-09-11, 13:09
With help from all the great information I recently completed a build using the following componenets=

BCM mid length upper with 16 inch barrel
BCM blem lower
BMC GCG
Magpul MOE handguard
Elzetta light and mount
Vortex Sparq sight

I really love the way this guns shoots. I am wanting to build a second. I have a Olympic Arms Plinker plus that shoots fine, no malfunctions, but I don't really trust it, especially after reading info here.

What I am wonder is would it be okay to use the lower and stock/buffer on this, and buy a bcm carbine length upper and BCG to replace the Olympic Arms crap. If the lower works okay is this okay to do? It seems to me as if the critical components to reliability would be good upper and BCG. Does this make sense?

Thanks ahead for any replies.

Tim

ZRH
04-09-11, 15:18
It would function, probably.

Olympic uses a commercial extension tube ( difference explained here http://cdn.magpul.com/downloads/Receiver_Extension_Comparison.pdf ). Im fairly sure they use a cheap (lightweight) buffer too.

I would try to sell the complete Olympic rifle though. Might be able to get a buyer easier for a whole rifle vs just an upper, and they have always had an iffy rep.

90slow50
04-09-11, 15:23
Why put lipstick on a pig? J/K ;)

ICANHITHIMMAN
04-09-11, 15:33
If its what you have and it works use it. I think there absolute SHIT I bought one, a preban to do a biuld on back in 2004 the reciver extention threads were cut off center and the lower would not mate to any upper besides the one it was built with. For the cost of a stripped lower I would buy and cry once.

RWBlue
04-09-11, 15:51
The question must be asked.....

Why are you building another rifle?

Tclardy
04-09-11, 18:08
The reason I want another build is-
1. To have a decent backup gun.
2. I would like to put a scope on my BCM build and put a red-dot on the backup.
3. I would like to teach my 16 year old son to be proficient with the other gun.

Just was not sure if this lower would be that big of a deal. Didn't seem to me that the lower with BCM upper and BCG wouldn't be a significant upgrade on that rifle.

I may look at selling it, I have not sold a gun in so long not sure now to advertise it, in DFW newspapers don't accept gun ads, neither does cragslist.

eightmillimeter
04-09-11, 18:46
The lower will be fine if you do what you are planning to it. It would probably be fine even if you left all the internals in it. I would upgrade the buffer and spring as a minimum though.

polymorpheous
04-09-11, 19:00
I may look at selling it, I have not sold a gun in so long not sure now to advertise it, in DFW newspapers don't accept gun ads, neither does cragslist.

Can you take it to a local gun show and sell it face to face?

Iraqgunz
04-09-11, 19:28
Go to backpage.com. You can sell guns there and it's about 1.00 for 3 weeks. I have sold several items there.

The reason I want another build is-
1. To have a decent backup gun.
2. I would like to put a scope on my BCM build and put a red-dot on the backup.
3. I would like to teach my 16 year old son to be proficient with the other gun.

Just was not sure if this lower would be that big of a deal. Didn't seem to me that the lower with BCM upper and BCG wouldn't be a significant upgrade on that rifle.

Terlingueno
04-09-11, 19:33
Texasguntrader dot com

The_War_Wagon
04-09-11, 19:50
Go to backpage.com. You can sell guns there and it's about 1.00 for 3 weeks. I have sold several items there.

Along those same lines, try this site too - it's free.

http://www.armslist.com/

I've had remarkable success with it here, generating LOTS of hits. Could be an aberration of where I live, but it IS free. It's a good place to dump stuff that would embarrass us here! :o

sonofagun2012
04-10-11, 22:14
This really comes down to what name do you like. Yes there are some lowers made better than others, but even those could have been made out of spec.

markm
04-11-11, 08:50
Don't build anything on the OLY lower. I wouldn't even feel right about selling that shit to someone else.

Their lowers are where some of their most CLASSIC **** ups have been made.

big 54r
04-16-11, 21:37
I agree ith mark...

I traded an AK for my first AR...(olyarms K3B)...I couldn't sell that crapper fast enough after reading and learning here what a real AR consisted of...I even had delusions of cmmg being top of the line before reading/learning here...ah the bad old day's before knowledge.

dump the complete rifle and buy your way to something of quality.

SomeOtherGuy
04-16-11, 22:13
The dimensions of a lower are critical.

The vast majority of lowers currently being made and sold new are in-spec and just fine, even a lot of the $60 cheap ones (e.g. Aero Precision and the store brands they make).

However Olympic is one of the few that I would be leery of, today or with any of their older product. I would be inclined to sell that rifle as a complete rifle and build new from the ground up for your backup.

Iraqgunz
04-16-11, 22:33
The reason I didn't mention this site is because I wouldn't want to sell it to another member and most probably wouldn't buy it.

Along those same lines, try this site too - it's free.

http://www.armslist.com/

I've had remarkable success with it here, generating LOTS of hits. Could be an aberration of where I live, but it IS free. It's a good place to dump stuff that would embarrass us here! :o

Sciuirse Morrigna
04-16-11, 23:51
Thee lower MAY be fine. But you should replace the buffer tube and spring. I'd be leery of the guts. So basically, to feel safe, I'd strip it down to what wopul dbe a stripped lower with the detents, bolt hold back and pistol grip and replace everything else.

Since what you'd have left is the least expensive paret of the lower, you're better off doing like the others said and sell the whole thing and start over with a stripped or built lower.

Eurodriver
04-17-11, 03:29

You can buy alot more than guns :big_boss:

Iraqgunz
04-17-11, 04:41
Shhhh...... we need to keep that a secret. :cool:

You can buy alot more than guns :big_boss: