PDA

View Full Version : Help Needed

CWard911
04-09-11, 15:54
I'm looking to add a revolver to my collection. I have been thinking about adding a Taurus MODEL 4510 Public Defender "Judge"

I need any information possible. The ranges by me do not have this fire arm to test fire.

I want the good, the bad, and the ugly on this piece. And, if it is a piece, what you you recommend.

one
04-09-11, 16:07
I doubt anyone here's going to recommend it. It gets universally made fun of online but a dealer friend of mine sold a ton of those things locally. Seriously, I can't even guess how many went out the door.

He's never told me of anyone complaining about them but still. If you really want a revolver you probably need to look at something along the lines of a .38/.357 or similiar. My all time favorite revolver, and one I've never actually owned, is the Smith and Wesson 625 series in .45acp. A buddy has one and I really enjoy it.

operator81
04-09-11, 16:17
I'm looking to add a revolver to my collection. I have been thinking about adding a Taurus MODEL 4510 Public Defender "Judge"

I need any information possible. The ranges by me do not have this fire arm to test fire.

I want the good, the bad, and the ugly on this piece. And, if it is a piece, what you you recommend.

I'm not sure how to respond as I can't tell whether or not you're being serious...If you are serious, do a search for Taurus Judge using the orange search button at the top of the page.

CWard911
04-09-11, 16:23
Serious actually and I will check out the search. I posted this thread because I know you guys will give me accurate and honest information. I thought that would be the talk on that gun just from the Taurus name.

Any other recommendations for revolvers?

Dave James
04-09-11, 16:44
CW, you left your self kind of open there on the revolver thing, there are several other quality revolvers out there, that would fill the bill, alot here don't like the judge, but the few I have seen have worked and shot fairly well, only two I know used on a regular base are for snake guns in the canoes while fishing here in Tulls Bay.

For a "fun" gun I rate them about in the same zone as derringers

CWard911
04-09-11, 16:54
I just finished reading a lot of the reviews that were posted in this site. All I have to saw is enough said. I'm officially out on this idea.

Business_Casual
04-09-11, 16:56
Taurus QC leaves much to be desired. There are plenty of used S&W, Ruger and even Colt revolvers on the market that would be better choices, in my opinion.

B_C

Scorpion
04-09-11, 17:36
Stay away from anything Taurus if you're planning on using it for anything other than range fun. As mentioned above, their quality control is poor. Very hit and miss.

When I first bought a pistol I got a .45 Millennium Pro from them. The magazines won't even work right half the time (popping out, FTF).

John_Wayne777
04-09-11, 17:48
I just finished reading a lot of the reviews that were posted in this site. All I have to saw is enough said. I'm officially out on this idea.

A wise decision, sir.

If you are keen for a revolver, I'd suggest looking for a good used S&W revolver in .357 magnum. They're very versatile. The L frame revolvers are very stout and can withstand some very hot loads. The N frame .357s like the model 27 and model 28 can handle just about anything you can imagine.

They're well made, hold their value well, and generally bring significant pride of ownership.

If you want a revolver for carry, a K frame or J frame would be better.

one
04-09-11, 19:02
I love my L frame 686 4". It's been a great gun.

Bruce in WV
04-09-11, 19:19
Much depends on what you want it for... plinking, serious street gun, hunting, etc. Just as there are variations of the carbine that are best for specific missions, the same is true for revolver/cartridge combinations. Look at Grant Cunningham's blog for some useful input, John Taffin's articles in American Handgunner, Gary Reeder's forum and GunNotes for high end hunting SAs and T/Cs, the Quinn brothers' Gun Blast website, etc. Once you describe your purpose it'll be easier to help.

CWard911
04-09-11, 20:46
Thanks everyone for the help and advice. That is why I love this site. I ask a question and get honest answers.

Bruce in WV
04-10-11, 15:43
Added: read 'No Second Place Winner'. Bill Jordan defined the duty carry rig for a couple of generations, and a super-slick S&W Model 19 .357 with Jordan Troopers or Micheluk grips in a Don Hume river rig is still a great OC way to go for a serious pistolero. Look for Charles Askins book or articles, too, for very practical info by a guy with many real gunfights under his belt.

nobody knows
04-11-11, 05:32
If you want a carry gun the s&w 360 and m&p 340 are fantastic little Guns. If you want something a bit larger the s&w night guard series are also vary nice.