PDA

View Full Version : Do good things always come to those who wait?

StAugustine18
04-09-11, 19:46
Okay, so i need your words of wisdom and opinions on my situation. After months of research and patience, im finally in a financial position to start my build. I had previously decided to go with a Spikes carbine (i know, i know) built to order with all my goodies. So, two days ago, i did this. After i ordered, they informed me they were 6-8 weeks backed up on orders:shout:. Well, i dont know if i can wait that long. i was looking at ordering a Daniel Defense lower and BCM upper from G&R Tactical, which would be around 100 more, but shipped out in 4 days. Is it wiser to wait for the spikes, or should i indulge in the instant gratification spending a bit more? Also, does anyone know of any vendors who have daniel defense complete carbines currently in stock? I greatly appreciate any advice!

Iraqgunz
04-09-11, 19:50
I would gladly take a DD/BCM combo over anything that Spike's has to offer.

You can also check Gunbroker.com. I have seen plenty of DD and Colt carbines there for good prices as well as som BCM stuff.

Okay, so i need your words of wisdom and opinions on my situation. After months of research and patience, im finally in a financial position to start my build. I had previously decided to go with a Spikes carbine (i know, i know) built to order with all my goodies. So, two days ago, i did this. After i ordered, they informed me they were 6-8 weeks backed up on orders:shout:. Well, i dont know if i can wait that long. i was looking at ordering a Daniel Defense lower and BCM upper from G&R Tactical, which would be around 100 more, but shipped out in 4 days. Is it wiser to wait for the spikes, or should i indulge in the instant gratification spending a bit more? Also, does anyone know of any vendors who have daniel defense complete carbines currently in stock? I greatly appreciate any advice!

Biggy
04-09-11, 19:59
IMHO i would without a doubt indulge in the instant gratification and spend the extra money on a DD or BCM, they are proven winners.

The_War_Wagon
04-09-11, 20:05
It took me TWENTY YEARS... to FINALLY get a Benelli M1 Super 90, just last month.

QUALITY AR gear is infinitely more plentiful, & easier to pinch pennies for. Pinch HARD - the wait IS worth it.

duece71
04-09-11, 20:06
Get it now, why wait??? Its just going to be sitting on a shelf getting dusty or someone else will buy it. Then, for the rest of your life you will have to think about everyday how someone else is shooting YOUR rifle. Dont' wait. I hope this helps.

Jellybean
04-09-11, 20:08
Hell yeah!! Get the DD/BCM!

Once again, I'm not one of the gurus here so take this with a grain of salt- here's how I see it, from my current experiences of one.

Do good things come to those who wait?
Maybe.
Not for me- the longer I wait, usually I have to hunt to find the item I want, and then I have issues with it and I end up having to wait even longer.:mad:
You obviously have the cash on hand to do what you want. And for ONLY 100 bucks more with less wait, in this case if I were you I'd pounce on it before something changes.

pilotguyo540
04-09-11, 20:11
It is a lot more than $100 more to get the spikes up the same standard as a BCM. Don't make my mistake.

FYI, life bites those who wait in the ass.... just sayin'.

StAugustine18
04-09-11, 20:20
Haha, well it seems the answer is unanimous! I'm convinced. And i hate waiting for toys, so i have my basket filled with the DD complete lower, BCM upper with DD handgaurds, and ready to click the 'checkout' button! Before i can do it though, ill have to call spikes on Monday to make sure i can indeed cancel my order. Thanks for the replies guys!

ucrt
04-09-11, 20:41

Personally, I wouldn't wait. Not at the rate things have been flying off the shelf!

Spike's will cancel your order, especially if you call your credit card company Tuesday and ask for another card.

But maybe it's just me...

RWBlue
04-09-11, 20:49
"Do good things always come to those who wait?"

In general, I would say no.

In your case, maybe.

VT RAIDER
04-09-11, 20:56
Also, does anyone know of any vendors who have daniel defense complete carbines currently in stock? I greatly appreciate any advice!

Well I have been waiting for a DD v5 for quite some time... I almost decided to go with the v1 or v3 they had in stock, but decided I would wait just a bit longer. The guys at DD posted that last week a batch of v5s were shipped out to dealers and distributors; and yesterday my LGS called me as they received 3 and I got the one I wanted. Good luck, but whatever you do get what you want the first time!!!

An Undocumented Worker
04-09-11, 21:38
I placed an order for a DD Custom URG from a local dealer at the end of Jan. I just got in yesterday, to be fair however it was with their new 18" S2W barrel and that was the only order they had in the pipeline for one with a FSB so there was a delay cause they were cranking out 16" uppers but had to reset the jig to drill and pin my FSB. I'm taking it to the range tomorrow for the initial function test sight in etc.

TehLlama
04-09-11, 22:56
Regardless of the wait, spending enough to get it right first time pays off in the long run anyway.

If you want the Spike's stripped lower, get it. Throw in a DD or G&R LPK, and then spend the cash on a great upper and top end BCG (BCM, DD, LMT, Colt).

If you find a better deal (or want to simplify), just start with a good basic stock weapon (BCM Complete Blemished lower, complete BCM or DD Upper; or just a 6920)

Don't choose a lesser product because of impatience, but don't feel the least bit bad if you find good stuff in stock and the price difference is less than a couple Starbucks runs.

duece71
04-10-11, 15:13
I pulled the trigger on a DD V3 last month and I am going to wait a while. May I was told by my FFL........I guess good things do come to those that wait, sometimes.

BrentC
04-10-11, 17:12
yeah DD all the way. i just ordered another DD upper from SG, and putting together a lower for my father in law. I would go BCM\DD all the way.

readyme
04-10-11, 17:49
It is a lot more than $100 more to get the spikes up the same standard as a BCM. Don't make my mistake.

FYI, life bites those who wait in the ass.... just sayin'.

Buying the Spikes was your mistake? Why? Did you have issues with it?
Just wondering because I too am trying to decide between a Spikes and a BCM.

StAugustine18
04-10-11, 18:15
Thanks for the replies guys! I just noticed on my bank statement that Spikes already took out the money for my order. I would have thought it wouldn't be taken out until it shipped, but anywho, does anyone know if i would be able to cancel my order with them? It doesn't say anything about cancellations on their website.

928M4
04-10-11, 19:01
Get the DD/BCM, heck I would wait the 2 months or so for the DD setup before I would buy the Spikes even if it was readily available.

In your situation you have found the superior setup without the wait, I would call G&R with CC# ASAP if it were me and cancel the other order..

Quentin
04-10-11, 19:39
I had to wait 5 weeks for my DD upper earlier this year. Not complaining - it was well worth the wait. I hope Spikes will cancel your order promptly/chargeback your CC so you can get your DD/BCM (talk about a marriage made in heaven!). Good luck...

SteadyUp
04-10-11, 19:49
Forget Spikes, and go with the DD lower/BCM upper from Grant.

I recently purchased the assembled DD lower from Grant about week ago, and it's excellent (no surprise there though).

You're much, much better off spending the more money upfront to get quality gear from the get go, as opposed to dicking around upgrading a sub-par gun.

glocktogo
04-10-11, 19:57
I'd get a DD or BCM over the Spikes any day of the week and twice on Sunday! I'd cancel a Spikes BO in a heartbeat. About 3 years ago I ordered a complete .22 upper and a half dozen Black Dog mags from Spikes. They said it would be 6-8 weeks. About 4 weeks later I get my CC bill and they'd already billed me for it the day the order was placed! I called them and asked when my order would be shipped and they quoted an additional 6-8 weeks! I had them refund my CC immediately and cancel the order. I will not ever do business with Spikes again! :mad:

fdxpilot
04-10-11, 21:27
I'd get a DD or BCM over the Spikes any day of the week and twice on Sunday! I'd cancel a Spikes BO in a heartbeat. About 3 years ago I ordered a complete .22 upper and a half dozen Black Dog mags from Spikes. They said it would be 6-8 weeks. About 4 weeks later I get my CC bill and they'd already billed me for it the day the order was placed! I called them and asked when my order would be shipped and they quoted an additional 6-8 weeks! I had them refund my CC immediately and cancel the order. I will not ever do business with Spikes again! :mad:

It's tales like this, moreso than the quality of the rifle, that will keep me from ordering anything from Spikes. The stories of poor customer service and business practices just keep coming.

Long live Daniels and BCM

StAugustine18
04-11-11, 00:52
Man this is tough. Ive got my shopping cart at G&R filled to the brim, with the DD complete lower with CTR stock and the BCM 14.5 upper with DD omega handgaurds. I just cant push the checkout button until im 100% sure Spikes will cancel my order. I really wish i had visited G&R before hand!

Heavydmp
04-11-11, 10:59
Man this is tough. Ive got my shopping cart at G&R filled to the brim, with the DD complete lower with CTR stock and the BCM 14.5 upper with DD omega handgaurds. I just cant push the checkout button until im 100% sure Spikes will cancel my order. I really wish i had visited G&R before hand!

Well why haven't you just called to ask already? DO EET! If they try and mess you over, just call your credit card instituition and deny the charge!

markm
04-11-11, 11:17
I just cant push the checkout button until im 100% sure Spikes will cancel my order. I really wish i had visited G&R before hand!

I'd cancel my Credit Card if I thought Spikes could hit it!! :p

Grrrr
04-11-11, 11:30
I would gladly take a DD/BCM combo over anything that Spike's has to offer.

You can also check Gunbroker.com. I have seen plenty of DD and Colt carbines there for good prices as well as som BCM stuff.

I bought my bcm lw mid upper with moe hg (all new/never fired) on gb..... $400 shipped.

ra2bach
04-11-11, 11:30
wait, Daniel Defense is selling lowers separately again?

I thought they stopped selling lowers not attached to uppers :confused:

StAugustine18
04-11-11, 13:56
Well why haven't you just called to ask already? DO EET! If they try and mess you over, just call your credit card instituition and deny the charge!

I did! I placed my order with G&R earlier today for a BCM upper with DD omega rail, and a BCM lower (i switched it from the DD, it was cheaper) with CTR stock for a whopping 112 dollars more than my Spikes order! Should be here by Thurs/Fri. Cant wait! I cant say if DD is making lowers again, but I can say that G&R have at least one in stock. Its actually right on their home page i believe. Good price for it as well.

Beat Trash
04-11-11, 14:27
I did! I placed my order with G&R earlier today for a BCM upper with DD omega rail, and a BCM lower (i switched it from the DD, it was cheaper) with CTR stock for a whopping 112 dollars more than my Spikes order! Should be here by Thurs/Fri. Cant wait! I cant say if DD is making lowers again, but I can say that G&R have at least one in stock. Its actually right on their home page i believe. Good price for it as well.

You made a wise choice. Enjoy...

04-11-11, 15:18
Good choice. I'd cancel the card Spike's charged. Too much info. out there that calls into question their ethics. Like charging your card weeks before the rifle shipped.

glocktogo
04-11-11, 15:28

Best thing I've heard all day. One more turned away from the Dark Side! :D

StAugustine18
04-11-11, 16:32
Haha, thanks guys! Im pretty happy to be getting a much better made rifle, the way I want it, and on top of that, i should be getting it within the week as opposed to 2-3 months from Spikes! Its going to be a long week of waiting....