PDA

View Full Version : advice on muzzle device

sac
04-09-11, 19:55
I'm slowly putting together my precision ar 15 upper. What I have put together so far,
BCM blem upper
Bcm 18" ss410 barrel
BCM auto bcg
Vltor ss gas block
VTAC 13" extreme battle rail
Now I'm looking for a muzzle device, either a flash hider or a break which ever works best for accuracy. I know not having one would be best but since the barrel is threaded I would rather have one.
I live in Iowa so cans are not legal, but I wouldn't mind putting a break with an adapter on just in case they change the law. I was looking at maybe on of the surefire ones.
Thanks for the imput
Scott

Belmont31R
04-09-11, 21:31
One of the most efficient devices ever created, and a testament to the ingenuity of mankind.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/a2-flash-hider-p/flash%20hider%20a2.htm

3kids1gun
04-10-11, 17:55
Smith Enterprises makes a good Vortex Flash hider on which thier can mounts. The can is heavier than some but comes apart for cleaning and is used by our guys in the snadbox.

Dave_M
04-17-11, 10:03
Precision for competition or?

Rocca
04-20-11, 11:16
Flash Hiders do nothing for accuracy.
You want a nice compensator to reduce your recoil for accuracy. Especialy when double tapping or fast follow up shots.

I'm planning to buils ALMOST the exact same SPR as what you have listed. Almost all BCM parts. and they also sell the compendsator I want..
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/JP-Tactical-Compensator-Stainless-JPTRE-2-p/jptre-2s.htm
I like this JP Tactical, Have always liek JP's stuff.
The other popular compensator thats Ive read good things about is the ...
http://www.brownells.com/1/1/18050-ar-15-miculek-comp.html

Miculek compensator. Its about 30.00 cheaper than the JP but I just like the JP better AND BCM sells the JP.

Do a little browsing online for compensator reviews or on 3 gun match forums for what they like. I think youll find these two compensators are the top two choices.

DTHN2LGS
04-20-11, 18:02
You should check out the Battle Comp too.

mstennes
04-21-11, 10:19
I went with the OPS 12th on my 18" BCM SS, but then again its a SPR clone, and when the paper work is approved its getting a 12th Model. That said, I just finished a prescision/varmit 20" built with a BCM upper, and BCM SS 20" barrel, that I installed a AAC Blackout on, I have a AAC M42000, that will go on it now along with my my carbines. I decided I wanted more flash elimination, than braking so I went that route vs the AAC Brakeout. I figure their is not much recoil, and as of yet I have yet to see any change in accuracy or timed speed in fast doubles or triples on our range between the SPR or my 20" at any range, granted I'm not the best shot, and both rifles easily outshoot me.

Rocca
04-21-11, 10:32
.... Now I'm looking for a muzzle device, either a flash hider or a break which ever works best for accuracy. .....

The "which ever works best for accuracy" Rules out flash supressors so I'm not quite sure why people keep posting what flash hiders they have (no offence, It just has NOTHING to do with the question Scott is asking).

And Scott- as far as "I know not having one would be best but..." thats incorrect. Having a compensator WOULD be best. Thats why competitors use them. Less recoil (not like a 223 has much recoil anyway but if your competing every little bit counts), less muzzle jump, better accuracy.

MistWolf
04-21-11, 16:17
Show me the groups of a rifle that shot better after a compensator was installed. Until then, be satisfied with the statement that compensators reduce muzzle rise so the shooter can get back on target quicker. Until the bullet exits the muzzle, compensators do nothing to control barrel movement

Compensators can be used to improve accuracy, but not in the way most think. The Browning BOSS was a tunable compensator that could be adjusted until the barrel would give the best accuracy for any given load. It's not the compensator part of the BOSS that improves accuracy. It works by making changes to barrel harmonics by shifting the muzzle weight.

An experimenter over on the benchrest forum has a theory that if the barrel vibrations could be deadened completely, best accuracy with all loads could be achieved and his extensive experiments with muzzle weights on 22LR target rifles bears this out.

If one played with thickness of the shim to adjust where a compensator timed, making subtle changes to the barrel harmonics, perhaps it could be used to tune the barrel to shoot best with a chosen load in the same manner as the BOSS.

Other than that, the only effect a compensator would have is to reduce tipping of the bullet caused by the gases acting against the bullet base

MistWolf
04-21-11, 16:33
I'm slowly putting together my precision ar 15 upper. What I have put together so far,
BCM blem upper
Bcm 18" ss410 barrel
BCM auto bcg
Vltor ss gas block
VTAC 13" extreme battle rail
Now I'm looking for a muzzle device, either a flash hider or a break which ever works best for accuracy. I know not having one would be best but since the barrel is threaded I would rather have one.
I live in Iowa so cans are not legal, but I wouldn't mind putting a break with an adapter on just in case they change the law. I was looking at maybe on of the surefire ones.
Thanks for the imput
Scott

For best accuracy, it's accepted that a bare muzzle is best. It's the consensus among service rifle shooters that bare muzzle rifles shoot better than those with flash suppressors.

However, some flash suppressors are better than others. On M14s, the exit of the GI suppressor, which is slightly larger than the diameter of the bullet, is opened to prevent disturbing the bullet. With the A2 birdcage, this shouldn't be a problem as it simply opens up like a funnel. One of the biggest accuracy killers when mounting any muzzle device is over-torquing. This distorts the threads and compresses the bore, creating a constriction.

Some shooters have removed the muzzle devices from ARs they've been experiencing accuracy problems with to have groups tighten up dramatically. Further experiments have shown that re-installing the muzzle device at a much lower torque kept the groups small but re-installing with more torque opens the groups up again.

If you simply want a muzzle device, the A2 birdcage shouldn't have any negative impact on accuracy as long as it's not over torqued. There are muzzle brake designs that are made to reduce recoil without affecting accuracy, but they are big, heavy, ugly affairs with obnoxious sideblast and would more at home mounted on a battle tank.

I would recommend trying a Battlecomp, but I haven't shot it enough to determine whether or not it has a negative affect on accuracy

sac
04-23-11, 11:21
Thanks for the feedback. At first I was thinking of a Battlecomp but I thought I read on here that they did not test it for precision rifles.
The rifle will be used for long range only, shooting at a 2/3 and full size USPSA steel targets. We set them out in the field at unknown distances and then range them make scope adjustment and try to get coldbore first round hits, so far we have made it out to 807 yards. I've been using a Savage .308 and thought I would like to try it with a AR.
Maybe I will just get a thread protector for now and get a base group for the AR and go from there.

Scott

ZRH
04-24-11, 05:49
And Scott- as far as "I know not having one would be best but..." thats incorrect. Having a compensator WOULD be best. Thats why competitors use them. Less recoil (not like a 223 has much recoil anyway but if your competing every little bit counts), less muzzle jump, better accuracy.
MistWolf has got this. A properly crowned muzzle is the most accurate. Gas exiting the muzzle is traveling faster than the bullet when it leaves the muzzle. Any imbalance in the expanding cloud will buffet the bullet. It only takes very very tiny buffet, 1/26000th of a degree to throw the bullet off significantly.

MistWolf
04-25-11, 05:38
Thanks for the feedback. At first I was thinking of a Battlecomp but I thought I read on here that they did not test it for precision rifles.

This is correct. BCE has gone on record as stating Battlecomps were designed with close quarter combat type shooting in mind, not precision. However, that does not mean a Battlecomp will kill accuracy. It simply means that like anything else used on a rifle, you won't know until you test it

Maybe I will just get a thread protector for now and get a base group for the AR and go from there.

Scott

That sounds like a real solid idea