PDA

View Full Version : Video Review: Slide Fire Solutions SSAR-15 Bump Fire Stock for the AR15

MilitaryArms
04-09-11, 20:39
I was skeptical before I picked this stock up, but I have to admit... I enjoy this thing. Most devices of this type are poorly made and not all that reliable in function. I found this device to stand out among such devices and it actually well built and works exactly as advertised.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0BgLk1i9yY

Questions and comments are welcome.

ForTehNguyen
04-09-11, 20:51
to be honest I thought this thing was mall ninja at first but man I can see this as a great alternative to getting an NFA lower

Kchen986
04-09-11, 20:53
Nice review. Would try it out if it wasn't so expensive.

Fairly certain the ATF is going to change their mind, though.

ForTehNguyen
04-09-11, 20:56
its still one trigger pull per shot, what legal ground do they have against this? They have said in the past that bump fire is legal. Even those 10/22 crank triggers are legal, because its one pull per shot. Its just a heck of a lot faster than your finger

MilitaryArms
04-09-11, 21:13
They would have to change the law to ban this device. Trigger palpation devices like the Hell Fire have been on the market for decades. This is no different. The Atkins stock was banned because it had a spring in the stock that pushed the receiver forward. This has no springs and is purely bump fire... so unless the ATF gets the law changed and makes bump fire illegal, they can't get rid of it very easily.

Fenway
04-09-11, 22:58
Another excellent review! Thanks for the info!

Iraqgunz
04-09-11, 23:34
I still think it's ridiculously ghey and a waste of money. And before anyone thinks that BATF can't rescind their approval, I am pretty sure that they can.

They did it with the Akins Accelerator.

elephantrider
04-09-11, 23:48
This looks like a waste of money. Money that could be better spent on a good quality semi-auto trigger and more practice ammo.

Money well spent if you like flinging rounds downrange w/o much control over where they are going.

coyote hunter
04-10-11, 00:37
I've seen a similar stock system for the 10/22 on the interwebz. When it was first released the ATF said it was all fine and dandy. Then they changed their minds. I see the same thing happening for this umm..... device.

How accurate can you be with that compared to your real full-auto? It seems like the gun jumping around in the stock would take even skilled shooters and make them look like fools when trying to hit any sort of target.

itsturtle
04-10-11, 02:44
For $300+ wouldn't it be easier to just pay the tax? I don't know how I'd feel about a piece of plastic rattling on my gun.

Iraqgunz
04-10-11, 03:09
Absolutely. Tax+ cost of a pre-1986 M16 for around 12-15K. :confused:

For $300+ wouldn't it be easier to just pay the tax? I don't know how I'd feel about a piece of plastic rattling on my gun.

Dunderway
04-10-11, 03:15

Like the man said, you aren't just paying the $200 tax, you have to buy a $10,000 - $15,000 RMG m16 lower first.

This thing seems lame at first glance but it does look fun. I wonder if it would work on a .22LR? Probably not.

ZRH
04-10-11, 03:56
I can't see it being effective. Novelty, kinda like 37mm flare launchers.

Also reminds me of the Akins thing.

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2007/dec/18/211606/pasco-marksmans-invention-leads-him-ruin/

Love the comments on that article :(

abnartyguy
04-10-11, 04:04
I'm not quite sure this is a "review" as so much a Sales Pitch...

:confused:

jackblack73
04-10-11, 04:18
I'm not quite sure this is a "review" as so much a Sales Pitch...

:confused:

Looks like just a favorable review to me. The device appears to work exactly as advertised, so why wouldn't it be favorable.

Littlelebowski
04-10-11, 05:56
Liberace gay.

GLOCKMASTER
04-10-11, 06:35
That is an expensive ballistic masturbation device at best and IMO an absolute waste of money.

MilitaryArms
04-10-11, 08:18
It's nothing like the Atkins stock. The Atkins stock used a spring that pushed the receiver forward (all explained in the video). You only had to pull the trigger once and the gun/stock did everything else. That's why it was banned, it crossed the line.

To ban this device they would have to change the law, and in doing so it would be a ban on semi-autos since anyone with a trigger finger and semi-auto rifle in their possession would be able to break the law.

Would I use it on a fighting rifle? No. Do I think it's a blast to shoot? Absolutely. If you like AR15s, I would bet my next pay check you would get a kick out of playing with this thing - and yes it is playing. Lots of people shoot for different reasons, most do so because they find it to be fun and relaxing. This device increases the fun factor and I suspect it will be pretty popular.

To answer the comment about my video being a sales pitch, I sell nothing. I only review items and tell people where to find them if I bougt mine online. I don't get any kick-backs from anything I review, I do this as a hobby. I dont earn a single cent from doing my videos (I'm not a YouTube partner either)... But I sure do spend a lot of money, and the wife reminds me of that regularly.

SiGfever
04-10-11, 08:38
I still think it's ridiculously ghey and a waste of money. And before anyone thinks that BATF can't rescind their approval, I am pretty sure that they can.

They did it with the Akins Accelerator.

With cass sunstein at the controls, all of our liberties are in jeopardy.

jklaughrey
04-10-11, 09:26

One more item for Gecko45 and his ilk to masturbate over!

spdldr
04-10-11, 09:54
Not only are these type of things ridiculous, they are antagonistic. Just more "justification" for the gov to go after black rifles. They will take and use any excuse to ban or even confiscate, and will use this sort of thing to create hysterical public opinion against our hobby.

In some matters, we are our own worst enemy!

avengd7x
04-10-11, 10:28
I'll probably never get to shoot an automatic weapon in my life, and I think it would be fun to use something like this. I don't think I could justify the price to myself, but if a friend had one, I'd definitely take the opportunity to use it.

Either way, I appreciate the review and enjoyed watching it

operator81
04-10-11, 10:31
Bump firing irritates me. I think one who spends his or her money on a contraption like that is plain foolish.

Kchen986
04-10-11, 12:14
Could you add on a portion where you test the stock for efficacy and accuracy compared to a RDIAS equipped AR?

markm
04-10-11, 12:21
How are these things working out over in Iraq, Ghanny, and Libya?

MilitaryArms
04-10-11, 12:22
Could you add on a portion where you test the stock for efficacy and accuracy compared to a RDIAS equipped AR?
If there is enough interest, I could compare how it functions in more detail to my Colt M16A2.

Dave_M
04-10-11, 12:28
Stupid.

I've made longer posts about this on other forums but I'll just stick with my short one.

MilitaryArms
04-10-11, 12:31
Not only are these type of things ridiculous, they are antagonistic. Just more "justification" for the gov to go after black rifles. They will take and use any excuse to ban or even confiscate, and will use this sort of thing to create hysterical public opinion against our hobby.

If we are to live in fear of how the media spins things then dressing up in military outfits, attending courses to learn gun fighting and carrying around "antagonistic" looking firearms like the AR15 is just as likely to draw negative publicity. To appease the anti's should we all ditch our black rifles and pick up more friendly looking bolt action rifles? Of course we can't put scopes on our bolt actions because we don't want the anti's thinking they're sniper rifles.

Trigger actuators have been around since I got my first AR15 in the mid-1980's. Not once have I seen a Hell Fire or similar device on a news report and I suspect I'll die never having seen this stock in the news either.

It's a fun and legal toy to play with.

philipeggo
04-10-11, 12:44
This looks fun. Not everything has to be made for "tactical Terrorist Elimination black ops" . Not something i can afford but i would love the chance to shoot one. Good review kind sir!

MilitaryArms
04-10-11, 12:50
This looks fun. Not everything has to be made for "tactical Terrorist Elimination black ops" . Not something i can afford but i would love the chance to shoot one. Good review kind sir!

Some folks take themselves so deadly serious that they can't stop to actually enjoy the fun things in life. Not everything you buy has to be tacti-cool, you can allow yourself a toy every now and then... Armageddon isn't here just yet. :D

I found this thing to be fun, and I own NFA weapons. No hassle with paperwork, I can easily take it out of state, it's a lot cheaper than a registered M16, you can toss it onto multiple rifles easily, and everyone that shoots it has an absolute blast. Would I take it into a SHTF situation? No. But that's not why I have it.

Dave_M
04-10-11, 14:26
I think you'll find the majority of this forum has far more interest in tools rather than toys; hence the responses.

jklaughrey
04-10-11, 14:33
I think you'll find the majority of this forum has far more interest in tools rather than toys; hence the responses.

I agree, if you like to play soldier with non essential toys then perhaps Arftard or Glocktalk will be more suited towards your endeavor and target audience. If you want serious, professional, and practical feedback then M4C, PS, LF, SOCNET are here for you. Just a tragic waste of time, training, and ammo.

espnazi
04-10-11, 14:59
While I probably would never buy one of these unless they were $30, I found the review straight forward and no implication that the device was for serious use. All of MAC's reviews have been great and he offers a forthright review unlike most other crap on YouTube.

philipeggo
04-10-11, 15:14
Who said anything about playing soldier ? You guys act like you cant have a fun range day every now and again. Not every range sessions has to be a tactical shoot fest. Sometimes normal people just want to shoot shit. This would be perfect for a fun range day like that. I dont think any one here ever had the notion that it was for serious use.

I agree, if you like to play soldier with non essential toys then perhaps Arftard or Glocktalk will be more suited towards your endeavor and target audience. If you want serious, professional, and practical feedback then M4C, PS, LF, SOCNET are here for you. Just a tragic waste of time, training, and ammo.

ZRH
04-10-11, 15:28
Who said anything about playing soldier ? You guys act like you cant have a fun range day every now and again. Not every range sessions has to be a tactical shoot fest. Sometimes normal people just want to shoot shit. This would be perfect for a fun range day like that. I dont think any one here ever had the notion that it was for serious use.
You brought up everyone being serious. Everyone else was just posting their opinion. There's nothing wrong with 'fun' stuff but I'm fairly certain if you call people out for being serious it isn't going fly.

MistWolf
04-10-11, 15:50

Fear and Loathing at M4 Carbine. Run & hide! The Liberals are coming! The Liberals are coming! So sit up straight and act correctly so they won't notice us as we play with our little black rifles in our teeny little piece of the play yard. Tell the yard duty teacher that Adtkins has invented a nasty new game and make him stop before they make us all stay inside for recess.

This kind of thinking is for sheep who deserve to be ravaged by the wolves.

The only difference between the Adkins device and the SSAR-15 is where the spring is placed. With the Adtkins device the spring is in the stock and the trigger still has to be released and reset before it can trip the hammer again. Yes, the SSAR-15 does use a spring- your arm. Your arm pushes the receiver forward to activate the trigger against your finger.

$349 is much too high compared to the cost of manufacturing the SSAR-15. I paid $200 for a MagPul UBR and it came with a receiver extension, a receiver extension adapter, adjustable stock, cheek piece, mounting hardware, two QD cups and everything was of top quality. It also came with a sticker.

The SSAS-15 would be a ton of fun and I'd assemble a decent carbine dedicated to being used with the SSAR-15 for informal and fun range sessions and I know it'd be a hit with my friends and family. As for the knucklebutts who are offended at this type of fun- They can just chug on over to Namby Pamby Land and see if they can't find some self confidence

jklaughrey
04-10-11, 16:09

Everyone likes to have fun, but honestly many of us regard the use of a weapon a serious business. Playing around isn't exactly in our vocabulary when we use said weapons for duty/competition. Why develop an unneeded training scar? Money spent on this mall ninja abortion would be better used towards proper training and ammo.

ForTehNguyen
04-10-11, 16:11
they can charge $350 because the alternative is a $15k lower. It doesnt cost $20 to make a magpul RFG but they can charge that much because the alternative is $70 VFGs

stinkyDrunk
04-10-11, 17:47
MilitaryArms, thanks for the excellent review. You're right, it's a cool range toy, nothing else.

Tiny86
04-10-11, 17:47
That is an expensive ballistic masturbation device at best and IMO an absolute waste of money.

Not much else to add to that.:sarcastic:

Surf
04-10-11, 19:45
$350??? Seriously? I truly wish that I would have come out with this widget. I would be laughing all the way to the bank for the profit margin I would be making on this thing.

Of course I would have to hide my identity as the company owner and hope that I was never found out as being the mastermind to separating a fool and their money. I only say a fool and their money because it wouldn't be so bad if the actual cost wasn't so inflated because of the notion that you are getting a deal as opposed to spending 10-15K. :rolleyes:

I hate to say it but your wife should really be pissed off at you with this particular purchase.

Edit - I will say that I have seen some of your reviews and like what you do on your own time / dime in regards to your youtube channel. I very much appreciate that your reviews actually incorporate shooting the damn weapons unlike the "out of the box" type reviews from guys who you never see them fire a damn round in any of their videos.

5pins
04-10-11, 21:26
Is this a ****ing joke? April fools was ten days ago.

Littlelebowski
04-11-11, 06:57
Apparently he's serious. Can't believe this garbage is on this site.....

Dano5326
04-11-11, 08:10
200% GHEY

An I would venture unsafe if the retaining pin breaks/malfunctions. You give up positive control of the firearm with the... pulling the forend forward sillyness.

BlueApocalypse
04-11-11, 08:23
Regardless of how practical, tactical, etc-ical it is - if I had the dough to drop on it, I would. Simply the fun of it to to build into a spare lower and use now and then as a fun toy at the range. Why not? I really don't see the reason for the hate, besides the price point.

Hop
04-11-11, 08:42
You guys are harsh. Do I care, no. Did I buy one, yes. Is it a blast to shoot, yes!

I've got an NFA gun too and took it + this one out shooting on Saturday. Guess which one drew more attention & more buddies wanted to try? It wasn't the $19,000 H&K.

We shot 6" round & full size torso AR500 targets from 50 out to 100 yards and it was perfectly controllable except when I put my .458 SOCOM upper on it. :D

Gunfighter 9
04-11-11, 08:51
Is full-auto fun? Hell yeah! Does it serve a purpose in most cases? No. I can understand the desire to have something that simulates full-auto for screwing around with. This product does seem to fill that niche market. However, charging $350 for a pice of molded plastic is ludicrious. I understand that it's cheaper than an NFA gun, but it's not worth the price they want. Furthermore, I have some reservations about the safety of bumpfire in general. It seems like a great way to loose positive control over your weapon and put rounds where they don't belong, i.e., off target, or off range even. Even if you're just plinking you still have an obligation to make sure you're being safe in the process.

04-11-11, 09:05
If I need an opinion on firearms, I'll be sure to check this guy out.:rolleyes:

ZRH
04-11-11, 09:07
Edit - I will say that I have seen some of your reviews and like what you do on your own time / dime in regards to your youtube channel. I very much appreciate that your reviews actually incorporate shooting the damn weapons unlike the "out of the box" type reviews from guys who you never see them fire a damn round in any of their videos.
Just wanted to add that i agree with this. Someone pointed me to your videos of the FN Tactical .45. Think of this thread as a learning moment -.- I don't like the device, but I wouldnt know about it if you hadn't posted.

Mr. Goodtimes
04-11-11, 10:40
This thing is gay... as in gayer than a gay man with a bag of dicks.

SomeOtherGuy
04-11-11, 11:04
The video review is very well done, shows what's going on and how to use it, and is appreciated.

The merits of this device are another topic. I'll leave it at my compliments on the review itself.

fhpchris
04-11-11, 11:35
Im glad I am not the only one who thinks it is retarded.

Hop
04-11-11, 11:45
The redneck factor is one-hundred-eleven-teen percent though. :D

thebigkr
04-11-11, 12:31
Good review, stupid as shit product. I have to put this in the same category as the belt fed .22 machine gun I was watching on YouTube, stupid as shit, but if a friend had one I would play with it for a day. Things like this get very old very quick, best to get ten friends to kick in $35 each and take turns, couple of months later it will get tossed in the closet for ten years, at which time a teenage kid will think it is the coolest thing around.

Just_Plain_T.
04-11-11, 12:51
With how people have responded to this, I suppose the next thing we're going to start seeing is a widespread posting of how useless AR pistols are...

The video makes no claims about it being a viable tool for a fighting gun. Not one. It's clear (to me anyway) from the presentation that's its application is a range toy. Absolutely nothing wrong with that at all. Sometimes, things are just plain fun, and serve no practical purpose.

It's America - if you have the discretionary income you can afford to buy one of these and you want to, then by all means enjoy. Your money, your choice of what to use it on.

Will I buy one? Probably not - with my income, the cost that it would require is too high for my level of fun I could get out of it. I've got my tools squared away, but they need ammunition. And I have other obligations in life to pay for. In some alternate world where I have more than enough money left over after the bills to be able to squander (remember, it's not just the stock but the extra ammunition), I might consider it.

Well done on the review - I had seen these and wondered how well they worked.

CQC.45
04-11-11, 13:50

Beat me to it...

Besides being useless for anything practical, people need to take this into consideration. It's not right, but its the reality of the world we live in.

Littlelebowski
04-11-11, 13:52
The perfect solution for wasting money into a pile of trash at 20 yards!

I really hope this review is posted at LightFighter.....

Littlelebowski
04-11-11, 13:54
The average training class is around $200 per day so this could cover quality training, ammo, and gas....

5pins
04-11-11, 14:55
This thing is a useless as an AR pistol. :dance3:

ForTehNguyen
04-11-11, 16:00
This thing has its purpose no one ever said its suitable for tactical applications. Some of yall are taking this thing way to seriously than it needs to be.

Mr. Goodtimes
04-11-11, 16:02
How are these things working out over in Iraq, Ghanny, and Libya?

I'm surprised Spikes didn't do it first. I'm sure it wont be long though before they are offering one of these as an option with one of their complete lowers.

opmike
04-11-11, 16:02
1) All the "ghey/gay" comments are making this place look like 4chan. I feel like I'm back in high school.

2) Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on this product. You have an interesting channel.

3) This product is complete and utter Fudd bullshit, in my opinion.

I feel there's better ways to have fun with your AR than this toy, but I'm obviously not in the target demographic. I suppose my big issue with using this as a plinker (other than the price) is that it's so contrary to the motions that one typically goes through when shooting this platform and it is severely lacking in the practicality department. Even if I'm shooting at mounds of dirt for the hell of it, I can still use that time (and the $$$ spent on ammo) as a opportunity to continue developing the fundamentals. With this, not so much.

nickdrak
04-11-11, 16:33
If your into wasting ammo and decreasing the accuracy of your weapon, then this may appeal to you.

tarugs
04-12-11, 00:57

Enjoyed watching the video and reading the comments... esp this one.

JSantoro
04-12-11, 09:19
What kind of fagmo hucklebuck stump-jumping son-of-a-biker-bitch garbage is this? It's a free-market economy and all that, but that thing is gayer than Elton John plowing Perez Hilton over the gravestone of Pedro from the first season of The Real World. Yeah, roll that image around in your mind

^^If I took myself too seriously, I'd never be able to come up with freakin' GOLD like that, so chalk it up to being a responsible shooter, instead.

When one can formulate a viable argument in which one can justify the inclusion of bump-firing in one's training regimen, this piece of blurred gender roles can be brought up in the technical forums. As it is, it's not written correctly to be moved to GD as a parody thread.

FFS, doing things the right way IS fun. Doing it wrong is fun sometimes, too, but you reap what you sow. In this case, it's scorn.

What's next, a fake suppressor review? Go be airsoft somewhere else.