PDA

View Full Version : How to clean 10 Round Magazines?

Markasaurus
04-10-11, 06:40
I live in California and can only get and use 10 round mags. I have 4 kinds of mags and not one of them can be dissasembled, the floor plates are fixed.

I like to take my mags apart for cleaning and inspecting the parts - but with these kind you can't. what is a good way to clean them? Should i just hose them out with brake cleaner, buy a whole bunch and throw them away when they malfunction? Or is it legal to just drill out the rivet and take them apart anyway?

ZRH
04-10-11, 07:02
I wouldn't drill out the rivets.

I have a 10 rnd steel mag with a removable floorplate, I think it might be C-Products. Some googling shows Lancer makes 10rnd mags, http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=974923 , maybe call and ask about the floorplate.

If they have drain holes you could probably use anything and blow it out with air. Just remember mags are disposable.

spdldr
04-10-11, 11:57
If the followers are polymer, don't use any strong solvent. Instead, boil them in soapy water and rinse in very hot or boiling water. This way the water will evaporate before it can cause significant rust.

My sympathies! I'm obsessive about disassembling magazines too.

Jpm350z
04-11-11, 23:10
I have two fixed mags. I use long q-tips with break free and wipe the inside as much as I can. That's about it for that. (assuming your talking about the thirty round mags built to hold only ten rounds) the rest of the ones I own are small ten mags. Those can be disassembled completely and cleaned just like normal mags. Might get rid of all of them soon though. Might move and finally be able to purchase reg mags!! Finally