PDA

View Full Version : Lancer L5 AWM Advanced Warfighter Magazine initial review

kaltesherz
04-10-11, 12:00
I just picked up a couple of these mags from Rainier Arms to try 'em out for awhile and see how they stack up against my Pmags and USGIs. These are "Translucent Smoke", they also offer them in Translucent Black, Translucent Brown, and Opaque Black, FDE, OD, and Foliage Green. I haven't been able to shoot these yet, but considering Lancers rep I'm sure they'll function fine. Finding a reliable mag from one of the big quality producers (Magpul, Tango Down, or Lancer) isn't the issue (they're boringly reliable) as much as finding the mag that has the features that works the best for you. So here it goes...

First Impressions: Seem extremely well made and lightweight. Stippling seems to be a good combination of "grippy" without being "holy **** this tears everything up" aggressive. It's easy to get a good grip on these.
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u64/kaltesherz/026-4.jpg

They disassemble extremely easily with the tip of a 5.56 round
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u64/kaltesherz/001-6.jpg

Anti-tilt Follower design, couldn't get the follower to bind with my finger to save my life.
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u64/kaltesherz/007-6.jpg

Floorplate, note no rubber like previous L5's
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u64/kaltesherz/009-5.jpg
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u64/kaltesherz/005-5.jpg

Feedlips are steel and are finished in a uber non-reflective color
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u64/kaltesherz/036-2.jpg
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u64/kaltesherz/028-1.jpg

Mag body has indicators for 20 and 30 round mark
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u64/kaltesherz/027-4.jpg

They locked back the bolt like they're supposed to, and dropped free easily from my LMT lower.
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u64/kaltesherz/025-2.jpg

But I did notice one drawback, it's much harder to lock the magazine in with the bolt forward than either a fully loaded Pmag or a USGI downloaded to 28. I even down loaded the AWM to 28 and still found it required a considerably harder "smack" to lock in. It might just be that the springs in it are new and not "broken in" yet, so we'll see if it gets any easier.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u64/kaltesherz/045-2.jpg

Here's a size comparison with Lancer AWM, PMag, HK, and USGI
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u64/kaltesherz/040-1.jpg

All in all it seems like a nice mag, but the difficultly in locking in a fully loaded mag with the bolt forward makes me a little leery of replacing my USGI or Pmags with these. I really like the feel of them as well as the ability to quickly peek down and have an idea of how many rounds you've got left while also having steel feed lips (I've had Pmag lips fail before). We'll see if the steel feed lips hold up better than the HK mags. I look forward to putting these in regular rotation in my training and see how they hold up over time...

Dave_M
04-10-11, 12:18
Interesting that you had a harder time loading on a closed bolt. I found loading on a full-30 with the L5AWM to be easier than the others.

04-10-11, 12:50
Not that it matters to me (as I own a few older L5 mags and they are fine) but is the body of the AWM still sort of squishy when you squeeze them? Just curious..
Thanks for the review.

Dave_M
04-10-11, 14:33
Not that it matters to me (as I own a few older L5 mags and they are fine) but is the body of the AWM still sort of squishy when you squeeze them? Just curious..
Thanks for the review.

Yes, just like the L5 and L5A.

Littlelebowski
04-10-11, 15:02
Watched these fail German Synergy miserably at the last DeFoor class.

kaltesherz
04-10-11, 15:05

Ouch. What kind of failures was he having?

vicious_cb
04-10-11, 15:37
All in all it seems like a nice mag, but the difficultly in locking in a fully loaded mag with the bolt forward makes me a little leery of replacing my USGI or Pmags with these. I really like the feel of them as well as the ability to quickly peek down and have an idea of how many rounds you've got left while also having steel feed lips (I've had Pmag lips fail before). We'll see if the steel feed lips hold up better than the HK mags. I look forward to putting these in regular rotation in my training and see how they hold up over time...

Thats unfortunate. I can't see a reason why any of these newly designed mags for the AR-15 don't incorporate the capability to seat with a closed bolt with 30 rnds. I mean what is it? A dimensionality issue?

LancerSystems
04-10-11, 15:47
Thats unfortunate. I can't see a reason why any of these newly designed mags for the AR-15 don't incorporate the capability to seat with a closed bolt with 30 rnds. I mean what is it? A dimensionality issue?

These were designed to meet the military requirement of not being able to easily load 31 rounds into the magazine. These should seat with a closed bolt without having to muscle it in.

LancerSystems
04-10-11, 16:00

We are aware of what happened, I discussed the issue with "German Synergy". The drain hole allows sand to enter and bind the follower. We will be making a new bottom without drain hole for use in sandy areas, the new bottom will be standard and the drain hole version will be optional.

We should have new bottoms completed in about a month. In the meantime if you have an L5AWM and will be operating in a sandy environment place electrical tape over the hole in the locking plate or use silicone sealant to seal the hole in the bottom.

We've had magazines in test through out the country since last summer and havn't seen this problem. I appreciate German Synergy bringing this to our attention.

If anyone has issues or would like to discuss the magaizne they are welcome to email me. svilardi@lancer-systems.com

BufordTJustice
04-10-11, 16:28
I have several Lancer L5 generation 1 mags and they have been great to me. I found that they would occasionally fail to lock the bolt to the rear on my BCM 14.5" middy upper. I replaced the springs with Brownells CS springs (which also seem to be slightly stronger than std) and the issue disappeared. I love that they can be easily checked for round count and left fully loaded indefinitely.

I have two of the AWM's on order from Rainier as I type this (They should ship tomorrow). Can't wait to get them in.

Another quality contender in the AR magazine market....this is a win-win for the AR community.

P2000
04-10-11, 22:09
I bought 3 AWM's a couple of weeks ago from Grant. I loaded them up to 28, and did notice that the springs are very strong...difficult to insert on a closed bolt. It didn't make a difference if they were loaded to 28 or 30, the brand new springs were very stiff. So I left them loaded to 30 for a couple weeks, and I even worked the follower up and down using a wooden dowel 40 times per mag to attempt to break them in.

Went shooting today, the springs now feel great and all 3 mags functioned 100%. I will be getting more.

My last lancer mag (L5) I bought a year and a half ago. It has been fully loaded for a year and a half, only unloading it when shooting at the range. Shot it again today, it functioned 100%.

Lancer mags are my favorite.

Dave_M
04-11-11, 00:35
It's hard to ask for better CS than the manufacturer directly posting

BufordTJustice
04-11-11, 16:18
HOLY SH*T Rainier ships fast. Got the AWM's in today.

I'm in love.

I would like to personally thank Lancer for putting an extra power magazine spring in from the factory. This is a big value add for me.

Feed lips are even bigger, thicker, and even slicker than the L5A. Follower is a true anti-tilt. I'm ordering more today. :D

Side note: I worked the spring all the way several times for each mag. I was able to seat on a closed bolt w/ 30 rounds of XM193 after doing so. It was definitely stiff....but I had similar issues after upgrading the magazine springs in my brownells aluminum mags w/ MP Gen III followers. After a little use, this issue resolved itself with the brownells mags...I expect the same results here. I'm quite pleased.

dan1775
04-12-11, 20:14
I bought one at Rainier Arms last weekend. I'm impressed.

All I see online are the "translucent smoke" color magazines. Are the other colors yet to be released?

dan1775
04-12-11, 20:22
Disregard. I just found Lancer's Facebook page and apparently production of the colored magazines is a week or so behind the translucent. Soon!

LancerSystems
04-13-11, 09:13
Disregard. I just found Lancer's Facebook page and apparently production of the colored magazines is a week or so behind the translucent. Soon!

The colored opaque magaiznes will be shipping next week :D

kwelz
04-13-11, 10:41
The colored opaque magaiznes will be shipping next week :D

This is great news. I have a Dozen or so ordered.

Cincinnatus
04-13-11, 11:44
Thanks OP for the photos and review. I have reached similar "first impressions," except that I think the trouble in inserting mag on closed bolt is, as one person already noted, due to the extra power of the springs. To me this is a plus and will probably work itself out in time. I have tried my mags in multiple rifles and do not find this to be much more difficult than with Pmags, GImags, etc. (In other words, not any more difficult than a little extra power to the springs would cause--and certainly not "difficult" in the sense that I think it would cause problems.)
Others, there is more info on these mags, and more input from the manufacturer, at this thread:
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=68698

Skang
04-13-11, 16:47
Follower is a true anti-tilt.

So If I press one side, it will go down evenly, right? Unlike like Gen.

Cincinnatus
04-13-11, 16:50
So If I press one side, it will go down evenly, right? Unlike like Gen.

Right. This thing is every bit as anti-tilt as any I have seen.

brianc3
04-13-11, 18:14
Tried mine out for the first time today. Same issue as everyone else, hell of a time inserting on a closed bolt (even downloaded to 28). No other issues to speak of.

kwelz
04-13-11, 21:53
One thing I just found out.
You can NOT dye these like you can PMags. They don't even get darker.

Dave_M
04-14-11, 08:59
Tried mine out for the first time today. Same issue as everyone else, hell of a time inserting on a closed bolt (even downloaded to 28). No other issues to speak of.

Huh. I must be the outlier on that one.

I mean, I've been hitting the gym... :p

dan1775
04-15-11, 12:44
Me too - I can't seat a fully-charged magazine on a closed bolt. That said, if I can't solve one of my incipient middle-aged civilian problems with 28 rounds of 5.56, I can't solve it with 30 either.

dan1775
04-15-11, 12:47
Huh. I must be the outlier on that one.

I mean, I've been hitting the gym... :p

Hey Dave, nice to see you're over here too. I always enjoy your posts at ZS - wish your training school was a bit closer.

DeathMetal
06-20-11, 09:32
I'm looking forward to getting the AWM mags. Lancer's have always been my favorite. I kinda liked the rubber floor plate on the old model but I realized some people experienced problems with the rubber plates.

kaltesherz
06-20-11, 11:25
I guess I should've updated this sooner as I now have put a bit of rounds through them. So far they've been 100% reliable but still have issues with loading a full mag with the bolt forward. While it can be done, it's far easier to load a Pmag or a downloaded USGI mag. I'm assuming this is due to the Military requirements that it cannot be accidentally loaded to 31 rounds, which can be done on a Pmag.

Another issue I noticed is that when I'm doing emergency reloads off my Redi-Mod, when I quickly insert the fresh mag I overinsert it and the bolt will not go forward and I have "rip" out the mag to clear it. I don't know if this is due to my lower being slightly out of spec (LMT) but I don't have this issue with Pmags or USGI mags. When doing a normal, slow paced reload this isn't a problem, but a quick reload off the Redi-Mod this happened every time. No bueno. I'll be giving my mags to a friend to use on our next shoot and see how he likes them.

Cecil Burch
06-20-11, 12:25
I have been running 2 20 rd and 2 30 rd AWM with no issues. I can load them easily into my Daniel Defense AR with the bolt closed. And I haven't had any problems with emergency reloads from my Redi-Mag.

One caveat - I have probably only 500 rounds through them, so it might be too early to state too much with certainty. I plan on shooting another 500 or so before moving them into "fighting" rotation.

kmc0929
06-20-11, 22:09
So why has Magpul not released a translucent Pmag yet?

kaltesherz
06-20-11, 22:12
So why has Magpul not released a translucent Pmag yet?

They were going to release a clear Pmag when they first came out but they found that it was too fragile. A handful were given out for advanced evaluations but they're uber rare.

sdcromer
06-21-11, 12:30
I also bought a L5 AWM for evaluation - got the translucent one from AIM.

I love it except for the fact that it is a booger to insert on a closed bolt as others have noted. Gives Pmags a run for their money - and drops free from every rifle I own - unlike Pmags.

kmc0929
06-21-11, 18:32
They were going to release a clear Pmag when they first came out but they found that it was too fragile. A handful were given out for advanced evaluations but they're uber rare.

Ok so just curious, how is Lancer doing it? Same brittle material?

LancerSystems
06-21-11, 18:42
I also bought a L5 AWM for evaluation - got the translucent one from AIM.

I love it except for the fact that it is a booger to insert on a closed bolt as others have noted. Gives Pmags a run for their money - and drops free from every rifle I own - unlike Pmags.

The magazine was designed to hold 30 rounds max to comply with the US military standard, in some rifles it may be difficult to seat the magaizne with 30 rounds, but they should seat similar to a fully loaded USGI magazine.

If you want to modify your own magazines to hold 31 rounds, simply remove .188" from the follower stop (large part that sticks up) on the floor plate lock. The part is plastic and can easily be sanded, filed or cut.

LancerSystems
06-21-11, 18:46
Ok so just curious, how is Lancer doing it? Same brittle material?

Different body material and hardened steel feed lips. I don't know what material they used but our magazines are not brittle. In fact the magazines pass drop test at -50F and 180F.

masakari
06-21-11, 19:01
If I ever decide to replace my pmags, these are the mags that I will try. I have been eyeing these (especially the 20 rounders) for some time now.

dwhitehorne
06-21-11, 19:07
I like them. I'm trying one at work and haven't had any problems. Our biggest issue is Lancers are about $3 more than Pmags on GSA advantage so that my be an issue if I try to order any. David

kmc0929
06-22-11, 21:10
So is it safe to assume that production will start to move from the older Lancers to the newer styles? I assume the metal reinforcements in the feedlips will allow both the older style and newer magazines remain loaded for extended periods of time?

shootist~
06-22-11, 22:38
If I ever decide to replace my pmags, these are the mags that I will try. I have been eyeing these (especially the 20 rounders) for some time now.

That's exactly what I did. I started with 6 of the 20 rnd L5s about 6 months ago and more recently added a few 20 rnd L5 AWMs. They have all been 100% on function; with the AWMs being easier to load with a closed bolt.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
06-22-11, 22:56
Will these fit in kydex Mag holster molded to Pmags?

BooneGA
06-23-11, 19:17
They fit my bladetech pouch (made for Pmags but holds GI and Lancer just fine).

Rick

LowSpeed_HighDrag
06-23-11, 20:53
They fit my bladetech pouch (made for Pmags but holds GI and Lancer just fine).

Rick

Thanks man!

RepeatDefender
06-24-11, 08:47
I have a couple of these I bought to try out in my rifles. They've worked fine so far, but I don't have a whole lot of rounds downrange. I like the grip texture alot, when compared to USGI/MagPul/Troy, it just seems much more positive to me. I also love the fact that I can just glance at the mags and see the rounds at the ready.

Also, haven't had any problems with the mags on either rifle when inserting a full mag on a closed bolt.

sdcromer
06-26-11, 09:18
Put some rounds downrange with the L5 yesterday. It was flawless.

This may be my new favorite magazine and is a huge improvement over the first generation Lancers. The anti-tilt follower in the L5 is the best I have seen so far.

kwelz
06-26-11, 20:32
I tried running mine today through a carbine class. I hate to say that I had issues with mine. When loaded to 28 rounds I was unable to send the bolt home using the bolt release almost every time. The bolt would stop about halfway forward and I would have to work the CH to get it to cycle. This happened with all of the mags in two different guns. I ran the guns very wet and did not have the same problem when using PMags.

I will be calling lancer tomorrow to dicscuss the issue. I really like these mags. However this is a big issue as it causes problems any time you are doing a reload. When running with fewer rounds this issue did not arise, however I don't feel I should have to run fewer than 28 in a 30 round mag.

Besides this issue however they ran great, even with the abuse I put them through.

Dave_M
06-27-11, 00:01
I tried running mine today through a carbine class. I hate to say that I had issues with mine. When loaded to 28 rounds I was unable to send the bolt home using the bolt release almost every time. The bolt would stop about halfway forward and I would have to work the CH to get it to cycle. This happened with all of the mags in two different guns. I ran the guns very wet and did not have the same problem when using PMags.

I will be calling lancer tomorrow to dicscuss the issue. I really like these mags. However this is a big issue as it causes problems any time you are doing a reload. When running with fewer rounds this issue did not arise, however I don't feel I should have to run fewer than 28 in a 30 round mag.

Besides this issue however they ran great, even with the abuse I put them through.

A training buddy of mine had the same issue when running Pmags in his Noveske build I don't think he has an AWM's but I'll ask.

kwelz
06-27-11, 00:17
A training buddy of mine had the same issue when running Pmags in his Noveske build I don't think he has an AWM's but I'll ask.

Neither of these guns has ever had any issues before. And as soon as I switched to PMAGs the issue stopped.

LancerSystems
06-27-11, 06:42

I just sent you an email to exchange the mags. We are aware of the problem.

There is a small burr on the underside of the feed lips. Usually it's not a problem but in some rifle / ammo combinations it can be an issue. We have already changed the tooling to fix this problem.

m4brian
06-27-11, 07:40
1. I applaud stiffer springs. If I have to push a wee bit more inserting, so be it.

2. I like the reinforced lips, and translucent bodies.

3. However, I will not adopt until the follower has long legs on BOTH ends. The only trouble I have found with mags on my DD and son's Smith are short legs. We even had an issue a short while ago, which we erroneously attributed to my DD, then steel cases, etc. Turned out that the short rear legs on magpul 20 rounders occasionally created problems. MP 30s seem to be flawlwess, and the MP followers fit and glide so nicely. Upon examination, the 20s have short rear legs. This in our experience can lead to dipping of the follower in the rear and the round presents itself too high. May not be an issue for most, but is in our experience. I want to only use followers with 2 long legs.

But I I do like all other features of the Lancers.

LancerSystems
06-27-11, 08:26
1. I applaud stiffer springs. If I have to push a wee bit more inserting, so be it.

2. I like the reinforced lips, and translucent bodies.

3. However, I will not adopt until the follower has long legs on BOTH ends. The only trouble I have found with mags on my DD and son's Smith are short legs. We even had an issue a short while ago, which we erroneously attributed to my DD, then steel cases, etc. Turned out that the short rear legs on magpul 20 rounders occasionally created problems. MP 30s seem to be flawlwess, and the MP followers fit and glide so nicely. Upon examination, the 20s have short rear legs. This in our experience can lead to dipping of the follower in the rear and the round presents itself too high. May not be an issue for most, but is in our experience. I want to only use followers with 2 long legs.

But I I do like all other features of the Lancers.

Have you tried the L5AWM's and had an issue?

kwelz
06-27-11, 08:30
I just sent you an email to exchange the mags. We are aware of the problem.

There is a small burr on the underside of the feed lips. Usually it's not a problem but in some rifle / ammo combinations it can be an issue. We have already changed the tooling to fix this problem.

Interesting. But I could not ask for a better response than this! Thank you. A couple questions/comments/clarifications if I may indulge you.

First off is there any way to modify the current follower? I appreciate and will gladly accept your offer of exchanging them but if it is something I could easily fix myself with a file and a few minutes of spare time I would not mind that as opposed to having you all go to the expense of exchanging the mags.

Both guns were quality firearms. One was a Colt Lower with a VLTOR VIS upper. The other is a Daniel Defense gun. Both were running H buffers. Ammo being used was black box XM193. Pretty standard fare. I was using a can so the guns did get dirty but I was running them very wet and the problem actually occurred on the first charging of the gun for the day.

Also I would like to say again that I really like these mags. This one issue non withstanding. I think they have the potential to replace my PMAGs for all training and SD use.

rob_s
06-27-11, 08:32

I was wondering the same thing as I was reading through the post. I do not disagree with the THEORY, but without some actual hands-on experience, and failures tracked to the theory, it's really nothing more than that.

kwelz
06-27-11, 08:37

Get one and play with it. I think you will see that your concern is NOT an issue. I have had the same issue Re: Magpul 20s and that issue is not present in the Lancers.

I really feel Lancer Systems has made a solid jump forward in magazine design here. Sure there are some growing pains as evident in this thread. They have also been extremely diligent about addressing those issues extremely quickly.

m4brian
06-27-11, 08:50

No. And anyone who reads this thread should clearly understand that, and if one thinks me to be thick headed because of my bias, then I don't even blame then. I am
Self admittedly a thick head.

Again; I applaud all other features of the Lancer - and I do mean all. And,it is a great indicator of the CS of the company for you to be on line and dealing with all in a generous manner.

I am predjudiced against any followers which are not long legged on both ends. But, I may try your mags nonetheless. Again, they are well thought out in many ways and is a credit to the free market that we have folks like you doing these things!

m4brian
06-27-11, 08:55
You guys are tempting me. I may just take the challenge if I can get my hands on 1 or 2. Thanks.

Then maybe I'll change my username to "thickhead"...