PDA

View Full Version : Do DD rails have any kind of anti-torque?

mikecon75
04-10-11, 14:12
Do DD rails have any kind of anti-torque device to keep them from moving? They look pretty cool and I am thinking of going with a 12" FIS rail, also is there any major differences between the 12 inch rails from DD? Thanks,
Mike

Hmac
04-10-11, 14:36
Speaking about the Lite rails (which is all I have), when you bolt the rail down to the barrel nut collar, it locks up solidly. Absolutely no rotation on my install that's seen a lot sling time (QD mounted on side) and a lot of general abuse.

bp7178
04-10-11, 14:40
The RIS-II has two tabs on either side of the receiver, which would keep the RIS from turning should it become loose.

However, the bolt-up system of the Lite and RIS-II series is VERY strong. Just one of the allen bolts is capable of holding the rail tightly, and they are six installed on the finished product.

There are a lot of differences between the different models of 12" rails. I assume you are looking at the 12" RIS, which I can't recommend enough. I like it over the 12" Lite, due to the smaller profile and capability to remove the lower rail when needed. They are slightly more expensive and harder to find in stock. I had purchased mine from Brownells.

mikecon75
04-11-11, 03:23
The RIS II sounds pretty cool, thanks for the info.

Impulse
04-12-11, 19:33
The M4 rail will mount with the spanner ring but leaves a gap from the rail to the receiver.

The AR15 Lite Rail is a one piece design that uses a bolt up plate that sits behind the barrel nut. The rail secures to the bolt up plate through a weld flange on the rail. This rail can be used with a LPG or FSB.

The Omega X is a two piece design that also secures to the barrel nut but slightly different. It uses 4 set screws that tighten against the DD proprietary barrel nut and machine screws on the side to secure the top and bottom half. The Omega X has an advantage the Lite rail doesn't have. It has an integrated QD attachment point on both sides for right and left handed shooters. This rail can be used with a LPG or FSB.

The Omega Rail is exactly the same as the Omega X but secures against the standard AR15 barrel nut.

The M4A1 RIS II was made specifically for SOCOM (Special Operations Command or Special Forces) and is very similar to the AR15 Lite rail. It uses the same bolt up system but is a 2 piece design. The bottom section will detach so you can mount a M203 grenade launcher. Being a 2 piece design you also use machine screws to attach the 2 halves together. This rail can be used with a LPG or FSB.

The Daniel Defense MFR 12.0 is a 12" CNC Machined Modular Free Float Handguard. It is specifically designed to adequately cover a low profile gas block on a carbine or mid-length gas system barrel. The MFR 12.0 has been engineered to provide each shooter with the ultimate in modular adaptability. Should the shooter desire, the tube can be run “slick” with an uninterrupted top rail that runs the length of the tube. In addition, the installation of Modular Picatinny Rails is accomplished with little effort. This allows you to have rails anywhere you need them and nowhere you don’t. The slim profile of the MFR 12.0 keeps the shooter’s support hand close to the bore which aids in firearm manipulation, and the design and construction allow for the attachment of Picatinny Rail Sections at standard 90 degree or offset angles.

All rails come standard with appropriate barrel nut and DD's unlimited lifetime warranty. The MFR rail is currently the only one that comes with the barrel nut wrench.