PDA

View Full Version : Ruger LC9 - One Failure to Extract

Captains1911
04-10-11, 14:59
I've got just over 300 rds thru my LC9, and all have been flawless except for one. The lone malfunction was with Federal Champion 115gr FMJ, on the first round of a mag, the spent casing failed to extract from the chamber. I inspected the casing and did not notice anything out of the ordinary. Over 200 rds of WWB and the other 99 rds of the Federal have functioned flawlessly.

The extractor claw is not damaged and has strong tension. Could it just be an ammo issue? I was hoping to make this a carry gun, but this malfunction worries me some. If I put another 200-300 rds thru it, in addition to 50 rds of carry ammo, without issue, would I still be foolish to rely on it for carry?

spdldr
04-10-11, 15:17
It may be a design flaw. Is the pivot pin outside of the edge of the case? They did that with their striker fired pistols. When it is outside of the outside edge of the case, geometry allows the hook to move towards the muzzle and consequently out. In other words, if it has to extract under any significant resistance, it won't.

Simple insurance is to lightly lube the cases with a very thin coat of grease or wax, especially for your "serious" ammo.

Pistol Shooter
04-10-11, 15:39
If I put another 200-300 rds thru it, in addition to 50 rds of carry ammo, without issue, would I still be foolish to rely on it for carry?

I read somewhere recently that Ken Hackathorn was asked about this and his answer was: 1,000 rounds without a stoppage before he'd trust a gun for carry use.

Which makes sense to me, YMMV of course.

Good luck with your LC9, I hope you get it running smoothly. :smile:

Keep us updated on your situation.