PDA

View Full Version : Official "You Are A(n) (insert personal insult here)"" thread

Suwannee Tim
04-10-11, 15:22
.....What we need is an "Official "You Are A(n) (insert personal insult here)"" thread. When someone places a post with a snarky personal remark a moderator would cut the post from the original thread and paste it to the "Official "You Are A(n) (insert personal insult here)"" thread. There would be two advantages to this scheme. It would keep the threads from being clogged with personal remarks and it would allow us to amuse ourselves by reading the snarky stuff all in one place.

This is from another thread but I think it is a good idea and I want to solicit opinions from a larger group.

rob_s
04-10-11, 15:27
no.

I have seen this tried, and fail, on too many forums to count.

500grains
04-10-11, 15:46
Dibs on being the first guy to be called an a-hole in this thread. The idea is sound in theory, but it seems to exacerbate the situation. The boundary of acceptable language gets expanded because people think that the worst that will happen is that a mod will move their post to the bad boy thread. It also tends to provoke unflattering responses from the 2nd party and numerous third parties, resulting in a crapfest.

Suwannee Tim
04-10-11, 16:34
I'm thinking not of a venue to exchange personal insults but a recycle bin of sorts. I would not allow members to post there.

....The boundary of acceptable language gets expanded because people think that the worst that will happen is that a mod will move their post to the bad boy thread......

I'm thinking, not the worst thing that will happen but a certain thing that will happen in addition to any other sanctions they might have earned.

Safetyhit
04-10-11, 16:43
Why would we want to condone bad behavior and insults? Why have the mods wasting their time figuring out what is what in that regard just to do so?

I remember something like that on arf when I was a member years ago. Seemed to set a bad precedent if you ask me, one that's stood the test of time.

Suwannee Tim
04-10-11, 20:55
The purpose is not to condone bad behavior but to deter it. The criterion I propose is simple, if there is a personal insult in the post, it's gone.

Rmplstlskn
04-10-11, 20:57
I'm safe... I never piss anyone off here...:rolleyes:

Rmpl

ZRH
04-10-11, 21:14
It takes less effort to be civil than copy pasting an entire thread full of crap.

Suwannee Tim
04-10-11, 21:54
I'm safe... I never piss anyone off here...:rolleyes:...Rmpl

I try not to. Really.

It takes less effort to be civil than copy pasting an entire thread full of crap.

I don't understand that. Can you elaborate?

SWATcop556
04-10-11, 22:38
Not going to happen.