PDA

View Full Version : Modify existing Colt or buy new?

Challengervert
04-10-11, 15:45
New poster on here.
I am in a quandary; do I trick out my existing rifle or buy a new Colt Carbine from CDNN or Fidelis Firearms?

I currently own a Colt Pre-Ban AR15 A2 Sporter, all stock no modifications of any kind, I have owned it for about 12 years.

I would like a flat top, DD Rail system and a VLTOR adjustable stock. I already own several attachments, ie. ACOG, Fore grip, lights etc…

I am thinking about buying a colt upper receiver flat top (20” or 16” barrel; does not matter to me), DD rail system and VLTOR adjustable stock.

However when I add up the costs, it is almost as much as going out and buying a new Colt Carbine flattop with adjustable stock, then I would only have to buy the rail system I want.

What do you guys think? Modify existing weapon or buy the flat top with adjustable stock that I want?

cop1211
04-11-11, 07:05
Keep what you have. Save up and get something from BCM, Noveske,KAC,Larue, or another Colt.

ZRH
04-11-11, 09:10
Those are collectors items and still important if you ever visit a ban state. I would keep that and get a new Colt/BCM/DD/LMT with the standard holes.

strambo
04-11-11, 09:11
I'd keep the A2 as is and get another carbine.

Challengervert
04-11-11, 11:31
Thanks guys for the responses. Agreement seems to be to buy a new rifle vice modifying my existing one.

OK now where to buy a Colt flatop and good rail system?

I am thinking CDNN or Fidelis Firearms any others? I am in Haiti right now but will return to Virginia in a few weeks.

SpaceWrangler
04-11-11, 12:52
OK now where to buy a Colt flatop and good rail system?

I am thinking CDNN or Fidelis Firearms any others? I am in Haiti right now but will return to Virginia in a few weeks.

Good folks at Clyde Armory...

http://www.policeguns.com/catalog/index.php?osCsid=0dsnmmkd07396el9pjvmdq8p84

Challengervert
04-11-11, 15:59
Good folks at Clyde Armory...

http://www.policeguns.com/catalog/index.php?osCsid=0dsnmmkd07396el9pjvmdq8p84

Thanks for the link. The DDXV EZ and Daniel Defense DDM4v2 look nice. How do they compare to Colt? Should I buy colt or would one of the DD models be just as good. I do not want to buy any junk.

All I know about DD is their rail systems. I am not familiar with DD weapons as all my experience is with colt; both personal and my duty weapons.

SpaceWrangler
04-11-11, 18:37
I am not familiar with DD weapons as all my experience is with colt;

Same here, sorry.

Jimbo45
04-11-11, 18:43
Just buy a 6920 upper directly from Colt's mfg for $685, and slap it on your Sporter lower. You can add a rail from there, and change your stock out if you wanted. Either sell your old upper, or keep it as the original (what I would do).

Semizal0311
04-11-11, 19:04
Daniel Defense is tier-1 stuff on par with Colt. Its good to go.