PDA

View Full Version : Reloading while running a stage

sonofagun2012
04-10-11, 21:54
If you have a stage setup where you could do one empty reload or two tactial reload to finish the stage. What would you prefer and is faster the one empty mag reload or two tactical reloads?

HK_Shooter_03
04-10-11, 23:10
If you have a stage setup where you could do one empty reload or two tactial reload to finish the stage. What would you prefer and is faster the one empty mag reload or two tactical reloads?

The time you should choose to reload is the spot within a stage where movement is involved without the opportunity to shoot targets.

Two reloads done on the move are faster than a standing static reload on slide lock.

If two identical shooters shot the stage each way- both cover the same distance however, the shooter that reloads on the move did not add any time onto his run when the static reloader did.

rob_s
04-11-11, 05:46
HK's answer is the pretty standard IPSC/USPSA answer. An IPSC shooter is never going to go to slide-lock if they can help it, will always time their reloads on a stage based on the walk-through, and is allowed to drop partially-loaded magazines on the deck.

FWIW, IDPA rules are slightly different, and based on your question is where I think your scenario lies, in that you cannot drop a magazine on the deck unless you're at slide-lock or get a click, or when clearing a malfunction. Otherwise you have to perform a reload-with-retention or a tac-load (depending on your definitions), in either case meaning you retain and stow the magazine in the gun rather than let it fall.

To the original question, you asked "which would you prefer and is faster" which I believe are two separate questions.

To the first, I prefer to let the gun run empty most of the time. I do this even when shooting IPSC (much to the dismay of the IPSC faithful, many of whom like to counsel me that I'm "doing it wrong" after a stage). This is because I shoot matches for the trigger time, the dynamic scenarios, and the lack of control over the shooting conditions, as a way to practice. I do not believe that I am going to think to drop magazines and pre-ordained times and locations, and I do not believe I want to leave ammo behind. That's me. Personal preference and belief, and I fully respect and understand the counter-arguments from the faithful.

As to which is faster, HK hit on it above if IPSC is your game. Speed reloads (slide forward, vs. emergency reloads with the slide locked to the rear) at the correct times and location, are the fastest. In IDPA it's a little more tricky, and I have shot stages where the COF designer set about to trick you into running dry at the wrong moment (IMHO this is shitty, and petty, stage design, but that's another topic). In those cases performing a tac-load before heading out from cover is often better/faster. So to answer the second half of your question, the answer is (at least in IDPA) "it depends".

Jesse Tischauser
04-11-11, 11:36
The time you should choose to reload is the spot within a stage where movement is involved without the opportunity to shoot targets.

Two reloads done on the move are faster than a standing static reload on slide lock.

If two identical shooters shot the stage each way- both cover the same distance however, the shooter that reloads on the move did not add any time onto his run when the static reloader did.

Ditto!

sonofagun2012
04-11-11, 21:21
I only have USPSA experience where dropping a loaded mag is not problem. I would like to go shoot IDPA where I understand I can't drop loaded mags.

In USPSA I prefer to do tac reloads, mainly on the move.

Now when it comes to IDPA I'm trying to figure out if I will continue to do tac reloads and get use to storing the mag or let it run empty, then reload.

rob_s
04-12-11, 05:13
This is one of the biggest challenges I've seen for guys going from IPSC to IDPA. Figuring out the reloads, or more importantly trying to hard to figure out the reloads, is something so ingrained in IPSC shooters that they seem to have a hard time letting go and just shooting a match.

If you haven't already, I'd strongly suggest going and shooting a couple of matches without the IPSC mentality of planning every move ahead of time and see how it goes. I think you'll find that my post above is spot-on that whether an emergency reload or reload-with-retention is faster is going to be based on the stage design. If you shoot a popper that activates a swinger, and you hit that popper with your last round, you're going to wish you had tac-loaded first.

jmtgsx
04-13-11, 11:50
IDPA also stipulates that reloads must begin and end behind cover, if available. The amount of real estate one can move and reload with retention or tac load is usually quite limited. Paying attention on the stage walk through for movers (swingers, drop-turners, and chargers) is what determines for me if I'm going to shoot it dry or RWR.

gringop
04-13-11, 16:37
Shooting IDPA, I try to always shoot to slidelock whenever I can. It is always faster for me than a tac load. However, If I see that a SL reload will run me dry when on the move, I'll do a tac load before I move to the next position.

Work out a stage plan and figure out where you will run dry. Plan your reloads accordingly.

For USPSA, I plan reloads for movement between positions. Sometimes the plan gets followed...

Gringop

Supermoto
04-16-11, 12:20
In USPSA I prefer to do tac reloads, mainly on the move.

Now when it comes to IDPA I'm trying to figure out if I will continue to do tac reloads and get use to storing the mag or let it run empty, then reload.

why would you a tac reload in USPSA? that is a lot of wasted time. just drop the mag