PDA

View Full Version : New M&P15PS missing Piston Spring Guide Bushing...anyone else?

TacticalTom
04-10-11, 22:06
Haven't fired the rifle yet (waiting on BUIS and Red Dot Optic)...but in learning more about it on the bench and cleaning it I noticed a few things. The bolt doesn't have piston rings, it has a spring situated on it's tail. So when closing the upper to the lower you have to depress the bolt into the BCG in order for it to close. The piston rod assembly is in four parts (at least that is what the owners manual describes)...the four parts are 1) piston plunger/gas adjuster knob, 2) the piston rod, 3) rod spring. and 4) rod spring guide bushing. When I went to remove the piston assembly I noticed I needed to depress the detent pin on the knurled selector knob in order to rotate it 90 degrees into the 9 o'clock position. When I extracted the piston rod assembly everything came out except part #4 (the rod spring guide bushing). I assumed it may have just dropped off and fell within the handguard...there really is no where else for it to go. So, I removed the handguard and no joy. NOTE: while the piston rod assembly is removed...it is Not a good ideal to remove the handguard due to the Delta ring washer rotating out of alignment with the opening (hole) for the piston rod to go through...P.I.T.A. to realign...suggest only removing handguards while piston assembly is still in place. I have contact the seller....but will call Smith tomorrow and explain that I need this part. Anyone else have this issue?