PDA

View Full Version : Bonded vs. Non Bonded Ammo

NightFighter
09-28-07, 21:33
I have been looking at self defense ammo and was wondering what is the difference between bonded vs. non bonded handgun ammo? I know bonded is designed to make sure the bullet and shell stay together longer in order to do more damage, but other than that what is the difference if anything? :eek:

uranus
09-28-07, 21:51
My agency previously issued Golden Saber BJHP (bonded) and then Ranger (non-bonded) handgun ammunition (the Ranger was less expensive). Since then, Winchester has expanded its bonded ammunition offerings.

Supposedly, bonded ammunition has better penetration through barriers, particularly automobile windshields.

For self defense, I don't think that you will be shooting through automobile windshields, but you never know for sure.

Business_Casual
09-28-07, 22:56
Are you asking what the practical difference is or what the physical difference is?

Bonded = a chemical or mechanical way of locking the core and jacket together

The theory is a bonded bullet would penetrate and expand without fragmenting.

I believe the technology developed comes from hunting bullets, when certain rifle rounds impacted game they would occasionaly "blow up" (fragment)without penetrating because the impact energy was too high. If you look at "The Box o Truth" you can see silver tips or similar pistol rounds (I can't remember) fragmenting prior to penetration in water. Designers took one of three courses to prevent this: mechanical bonding, chemical bonding and using one uniform media (usually copper) to create the bullet. Think A-Square, Barnes X and Winchester's Fail Safe.

Or have I misunderstood the question?

M_P

NightFighter
09-29-07, 16:37
Are you asking what the practical difference is or what the physical difference is?

Bonded = a chemical or mechanical way of locking the core and jacket together

The theory is a bonded bullet would penetrate and expand without fragmenting.

I believe the technology developed comes from hunting bullets, when certain rifle rounds impacted game they would occasionaly "blow up" (fragment)without penetrating because the impact energy was too high. If you look at "The Box o Truth" you can see silver tips or similar pistol rounds (I can't remember) fragmenting prior to penetration in water. Designers took one of three courses to prevent this: mechanical bonding, chemical bonding and using one uniform media (usually copper) to create the bullet. Think A-Square, Barnes X and Winchester's Fail Safe.

Or have I misunderstood the question?

M_P

You did not misunderstand the question. I wanted information on both the practical and physical differences of bonded ammo vs. non bonded ammo.