PDA

View Full Version : "Hybrid" slings- 1to 2 point slings, what are you using, what are the pro's and con's

bsmith_shoot
04-11-11, 08:34
I have recently become interested in getting a "hybrid" sling like the Magpul MS2. I Have already purchased the Magpul RSA and ASAP. After about 2 weeks of searching, I cant find the MS2 sling anywhere.
The point of my post though, is not to ask if you guys know where I can find one, but to ask what alternatives are available? I have run quite a few differant slings over the years, but my 2 favorites are the BFG Vickers AA, and the Gear Sector single-point at the moment.
Do you guys know of any slings out there that have the good qualities of these 2, but also the ability to transition from 1 to 2 point attachment configuration?
I would love to know what you use, and a few pics would be great.
Thanks

rob_s
04-11-11, 08:47
http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=33734

bsmith_shoot
04-11-11, 08:59
http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=33734

Ok Rob, How bout this? I send you my Vickers sling, pay for shipping both ways, and a MO for 25 bucks. You build one for me, send it back. What you think?

rob_s
04-11-11, 09:09
Ok Rob, How bout this? I send you my Vickers sling, pay for shipping both ways, and a MO for 25 bucks. You build one for me, send it back. What you think?

I can't even find the right hardware to make them for myself! :suicide2:

and I have to have a stitch-bitch that will make the D-ring tails for me. I currently have two of them with no additional in sight.

itsturtle
04-11-11, 09:55
I had spare money at the time and was foolish enough to spend the extra on the Tactical Link convertible sling. http://www.tacticallink.com/Convertible_Sling.html I have it mounted on the rear of the receiver(as pictured on their site) and to the rear of the quad rail.

I've only used this on one rifle class and around the house so far. It was nearly an 8 hour class and I would guess about 4 hours of that it was actually around my neck considering the lecture, breaks, and while zeroing I was not standing. We did a couple rounds of transition to sidearm, maybe 15 times total. It worked just fine in two point, granted this is the first time I've used a sling of any kind. When I dropped the rifle, the muzzle fell down and slightly to my left, away from my sidearm. I use drop leg panels to hold 4 pmags and two pistol mags on my left, and the sidearm on the right. I did notice a couple times the rifle hung up on the pmags but this didn't seem to put it in a position to block any of my other movements. Maybe the single point would have dropped it more straight down but I didn't see an issue with this happening anyway.

I realized after all was over with, I never even switched it to the single point position. I can't honestly say why this was, probably just never crossed my mind to switch it during the class. I will try to make it a point to do some drills at home in both positions and hopefully I'll take another class at some point and I'll try single point.

Just seemed to me like I might have wasted time buying a convertible when the last thing going though my mind during the class was switching the positions, let alone during an actual adrenaline filled fight. Maybe after more use I will figure out what roll the convertible plays.

I will add though, the TL sling is not the quick adjustable type like the Vickers sling. it takes a deliberate effort to adjust the size.

rob_s
04-11-11, 10:10
turtle, it may also have to do with the kind of hardware. I find the QD sling swivel to be unsat as a 1-2 solution because it really isn't very "quick" to "detach" and because trying to re-attach makes me feel like a 17 year old kid on prom night trying to get it in.

With the HK snap hook solution I find it easier to detach and MUCH easier to re-attach. and having the quick-adjust feature of the BFG sling helps too as I can keep the gun tight to my body in two-point mode and either let out the slack a bit to shoot in two-point or move the hook easily to shoot from one-point.

Which brings me to the entire point. I wanted a sling that gave me the flexibility of the one-point in lateral transitions, unconventional shooting positions, etc. but gave me the stability and security of a two-point for walking around, supervising shooters, running the timer, fixing/pasting targets, etc.

x-STG1
04-11-11, 10:12
Check out this thread on the IWC Triglide:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=71370

SteveL
04-11-11, 10:16
turtle, it may also have to do with the kind of hardware. I find the QD sling swivel to be unsat as a 1-2 solution because it really isn't very "quick" to "detach" and because trying to re-attach makes me feel like a 17 year old kid on prom night trying to get it in.

With the HK snap hook solution I find it easier to detach and MUCH easier to re-attach. and having the quick-adjust feature of the BFG sling helps too as I can keep the gun tight to my body in two-point mode and either let out the slack a bit to shoot in two-point or move the hook easily to shoot from one-point.

Which brings me to the entire point. I wanted a sling that gave me the flexibility of the one-point in lateral transitions, unconventional shooting positions, etc. but gave me the stability and security of a two-point for walking around, supervising shooters, running the timer, fixing/pasting targets, etc.

That's an interesting point. I was just about to ask if anyone has tried the 2 to 1 Triglide (http://store.impactweaponscomponents.com/2to1potr1for.html) from Mount-N-Slot and how they liked it, but it seems you've already answered that question.

ETA: I was too slow. Someone else was thinking the same thing I was.

rob_s
04-11-11, 10:23
That's an interesting point. I was just about to ask if anyone has tried the 2 to 1 Triglide (http://store.impactweaponscomponents.com/2to1potr1for.html) from Mount-N-Slot and how they liked it, but it seems you've already answered that question.

ETA: I was too slow. Someone else was thinking the same thing I was.

Well, the *good* news is that the IWC part is also designed to take an HK hook, and I think there are pictures of that utility in the linked thread. I personally like my D-ring solution because it is a bigger target, but I haven't tried the IWC part.

itsturtle
04-11-11, 10:28
I know what you mean. Sometimes I can get it detached and hold it good enough to get it to go back into the triglide block pretty quickly. For situations like at a class or the range, this might not be a big deal taking the extra couple seconds to fumble it. Obviously I wouldn't want to try this under fire. I don't mind the extra work or looking like an idiot fiddling with a sling, I'm sure I look strange enough with my gear anyway. I do admit though, the Magpul MS2 does seem like it might be a more simple design and easier to use. But lesson learned.

I honestly don't shoot enough to be worried about switching shoulders and awkward shooting positions yet, so I didn't think I would like the BFG adjustable thing. I'm sure as soon as I actually try these things my mind will likely change. Should have done more research first.

itsturtle
04-11-11, 10:33
Well, the *good* news is that the IWC part is also designed to take an HK hook, and I think there are pictures of that utility in the linked thread. I personally like my D-ring solution because it is a bigger target, but I haven't tried the IWC part.

This is pretty close to the device on the Tactical Link sling. I wonder if an HK hook would also work in it unless the IWC is smaller or something. Might be worth giving a try instead of buying a new sling.

rob_s
04-11-11, 10:35
FWIW, if I wasn't ever going to shoot in two-point mode, I wouldn't need the adjustment at all. I have it set to a length such that, when fully tightened down, it is exactly right for me as a one-point shooting sling and a two-point carry strap. All I do is move the hook.

The only advantage to the quick-adjust feature is if I do need to shoot when in 2-point mode I can tug the tail and loosen it enough to get the gun up, and I can also more easily adjust to larger gear or clothing.

This sling setup is a training tool for me. My HD carbine doesn't even have a sling (although if I could ever figure a way to attach one to the stock bunched up I probably would).

itsturtle
04-11-11, 10:39
Ah I see what you mean. I just need to give it more usage, especially in one point, and be sure it is adjusted right.

nickdrak
04-11-11, 10:49
I have been running a hybrid MS2/VTAC padded sling for the past year. I have found that the MS2 by itself is lacking in a few important areas. The webbing used gets twisted easily and it is uncomfortable around the neck/shoulder area as it tends to dig in.

The adjustment device on the MS2 is poorly executed as well.

The addition of the padded portion of the VTAC sling to the mounting hardware of the MS2 solves both of the listed issues in my opinion.

The only drawback of this set-up in my opinion is cost. You are looking at a $90 sling before the front & rear attachment points are added.

Here's a couple pics of my set-up. I run it in-conjunction with a MagPul ASAP rear and a IWC front sling attachment point:
http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/9708/sdc11027w.jpg
http://img863.imageshack.us/img863/5773/sdc11030e.jpg

Ironman8
04-11-11, 11:27
Rob, between the Magpul ASAP and a QD setup like Noveske's, how smooth does the sling transition from shoulder to shoulder? Is there any difference? I won't be detaching the QD part of the Noveske end plate, so that's a moot point for me...

BSmith, I may have a FDE MS2 sling that I can sell you. It is used but in good condition.

rob_s
04-11-11, 11:30
Other than the concept, there was nothing I liked about the Magpul ASAP/MS2 setup. I sold my combo off some time ago. IIRC I had two ASAPs and an MS2. I use DD and Noveske endplate QD mounts and have no issues with lateral transitions.

Ironman8
04-11-11, 11:36
Other than the concept, there was nothing I liked about the Magpul ASAP/MS2 setup. I sold my combo off some time ago. IIRC I had two ASAPs and an MS2. I use DD and Noveske endplate QD mounts and have no issues with lateral transitions.

Thanks Rob, I didn't know how they compare, but I guess I'll find out first hand when I order from Noveske here pretty soon...

I personally like both the ASAP and MS2. I don't find the same issues to really affect me (personally) like others do.

x-STG1
04-11-11, 12:09
Rob, between the Magpul ASAP and a QD setup like Noveske's, how smooth does the sling transition from shoulder to shoulder? Is there any difference? I won't be detaching the QD part of the Noveske end plate, so that's a moot point for me...

BSmith, I may have a FDE MS2 sling that I can sell you. It is used but in good condition.

Im am trying these angled QD swivels from GG&G with the Noveske end plate and HK hooks:

http://www.gggaz.com/index.php?id=357&parents=153,174

HeavyDuty
04-11-11, 21:29
I've been trying Boonie Packer 2P-TQAs with QD loops (sewn in on the front) and an IWC 221. I'm liking it so far and haven't been having problems switching over - I've learned to keep tension on the back part which makes it easier to plug in when transitioning 2 to 1. Then again, I didn't need to use my hands on prom night either...

Waldrop0351
04-12-11, 20:33
I have recently become interested in getting a "hybrid" sling like the Magpul MS2. I Have already purchased the Magpul RSA and ASAP. After about 2 weeks of searching, I cant find the MS2 sling anywhere.
The point of my post though, is not to ask if you guys know where I can find one, but to ask what alternatives are available? I have run quite a few differant slings over the years, but my 2 favorites are the BFG Vickers AA, and the Gear Sector single-point at the moment.
Do you guys know of any slings out there that have the good qualities of these 2, but also the ability to transition from 1 to 2 point attachment configuration?
I would love to know what you use, and a few pics would be great.
Thanks

I took my Ares Armor Husky Sling and had a "D" ring sewn onto it at the top that way I could just switch it whenever I wanted using the HK hooks that I had previously put on it.

I loved this sling because the first time I used it, it was on a SAW and it performed flawlessly. Now I have the option to have whatever option I feel like running depeinding on what side of the rack I wake up on in the morning haha and it works great even with the longer M16A4's. So far it hasn't let me down regardless of how I choose to run it, 2 point or 1 point.

Hope this helps.

Coogan
04-12-11, 21:08
VTAC Mk2 with two HK snap hooks using a ASAP plate and a RSA. Works well for me so far but needs one improvement - a larger ring on the ASAP plate.

Transitions, as is, are not hard, but nothing to be done under pressure.