PDA

View Full Version : AK/Valmet peep sight--why not?

The Dumb Gun Collector
09-28-07, 23:10
Why can't anybody make a Peep sight for the AK like the VALMET. The original 62-76 models had a snap on cover and were well known for their accuracy. The model 95 had a little lever on the back but otherwise bolted on in standard AK fashion. Why doesn't somebody put out a quality AK peep cover (maybe with some rail)?

VA_Dinger
09-29-07, 00:15
Why can't anybody make a Peep sight for the AK like the VALMET. The original 62-76 models had a snap on cover and were well known for their accuracy. The model 95 had a little lever on the back but otherwise bolted on in standard AK fashion. Why doesn't somebody put out a quality AK peep cover (maybe with some rail)?

Both Krebs & Mojo make a nice peep sight. They are not mounted to the receiver cover though, just replacements for the stock AK sight. I've shot with both of them and loved them.

Jay Cunningham
09-29-07, 04:50
Krebs used to make a true peep sight that was mounted at the rear of the dust cover. Now they incorporate it into their Beryl-style hinged rail. Other builders make sort of a hack version of theis peep sight, but the main issue is that it does not hold zero the greatest.

The sights that Dinger mentioned are not true peep sights, they are just sort of wide aperture after market replacements for the factory sight. They work well for some guys, but they cannot really be classified as either a an aperture (peep) or ghost ring because they are so far from the eye.

The Dumb Gun Collector
09-29-07, 09:43
Somebody should make a cover that mounts on the rear site hinge. It should have a clamp or something built into the rear like the SAKO 95. meh.:o

Business_Casual
09-29-07, 11:11
IIRC, both the Valmet and Galil had milled receivers and re-inforcements or locking levers for the top cover. Most, if not all AKMs (stamped) were not designed with a top cover sight mount in mind.

M_P

IrishDevil
09-29-07, 15:25
I've compared the sight height on my Krebs KTR-03S and my Galil and it seems to be very close. I'm thinking that you could potentially use the Krebs front sight along with a Galil topcover/rear sight. I'll try and put the Galil top cover on my KTR and see how it lines up, the Galil top cover may not fit because of the reinforcement at the rear of the cover though. Another potential solution would be to have Will at RedJacket do a Galil conversion on a Saiga or other AK, that way you have Galil sights on a much lighter gun, I'm pondering having a 5.45x39 built this way. Also thinking I'd like to try this setup on my Vepr, I believe it would be a good accuracy package with the improved sights. Maybe a little more off topic but has anyone used the HK sights on an AK? Wondering how well they zero?

edwin907
09-29-07, 16:08
This is the Mojo MicroClick rear sight, people either love it or hate it, but it shoots very well for me on the A1R.
The difference in accuracy is more pronounced offhand, than from the bench or prone, but either way sight recovery is faster for the next shot.

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z238/edwin907/Mojo.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z238/edwin907/A1R.jpg

Kisara
09-30-07, 19:41
The MOJO adjustable has a substantially larger peep hole than the factory Valmet. The Valmet is much more robust and durable; I have reservations that the Mojo might get easily bumped out of zero and may consider blue Loctiting the dial.
http://i24.tinypic.com/new0k.jpg

h8mtv
09-30-07, 20:24
Valmet sight is also substantially farther back.

IrishDevil
09-30-07, 20:40
I compared the sights between my Galil and KTR, they seem to be the same height. Only problem with using a Krebs front and Galil rear is neither adjusts for windage. I like the Krebs front as it uses AR post sights. I just wish they would sell the top covers from the KTR.

TOrrock
09-30-07, 20:59
Valmet and Galil dust covers are also substantially more robust than a standard AK dust cover, they don't flex as much, and they are held onto the receiver more tightly than a standard AK dust cover.

Will at Red Jacket, in Louisiana, has been building up hybrid AK's, usually from SAIGA's, and installing HK drum sights (and front sights as well) on them.

http://www.redstick-firearms.com/firearms2/zk308side2.jpg

http://www.redstick-firearms.com/firearms2/firearms.html

IrishDevil
09-30-07, 22:29
I've considered the HK sights, but don't think I've ever really seen any feedback on them as far as how well they zero and the drum works out for elevation. I'm seriously considering having a 5.45 converted to a galil-type though. I'd really like to try the sight system on my Vepr also, just don't want to risk what has turned into a very expensive AK as of late. Standard AK sights work OK for me, but I much prefer the sights on my Galil and KTR. A friend of mine told me to stop trying to make an AK an AR. I told him I'm not, I'm trying to make my AK a Galil.

armakraut
10-03-07, 09:54
A rear aperture on an AK is doable, it's just going to take a little bit of ingenuity.

cz7
01-18-09, 23:39
find a Chinese ak dust cover with scope rail 7/16 wide 3/4 lenght of the top .next get a m-! carbine milled rear sight . next get back of rail ,dove tail for the sight at the height of the rear sight and mig weld both sides front area .yes its work but it works very well!

Dave_M
01-20-09, 20:57
Rear sights welded onto AK dust covers are great--if you're doing it for aesthetic purposes. As far as functionality the stamped dust covers flex way too much during firing for them to be a viable option.

find a Chinese ak dust cover with scope rail 7/16 wide 3/4 lenght of the top .next get a m-! carbine milled rear sight . next get back of rail ,dove tail for the sight at the height of the rear sight and mig weld both sides front area .yes its work but it works very well!

No, I doubt very much that it works very well. Next someone will tell me that mounting a scope on a leapers/UTG/whatever railed dust cover is a good idea