PDA

View Full Version : Sig P210

40Arpent
04-11-11, 14:33
I just purchased a P210-2, and after firing roughly 100 rounds, I noticed the front sight was drifting. It was so loose that I was able to slide it completely out of the dovetail by hand (glad I noticed it before loosing it in the South Texas silt). Can anyone who knows much about the P210 tell me if this is a common issue, and if so, are there any "standard" remedies?

Thanks,
Pete

KhanRad
04-11-11, 22:14
I just purchased a P210-2, and after firing roughly 100 rounds, I noticed the front sight was drifting. It was so loose that I was able to slide it completely out of the dovetail by hand (glad I noticed it before loosing it in the South Texas silt). Can anyone who knows much about the P210 tell me if this is a common issue, and if so, are there any "standard" remedies?

Thanks,
Pete

I take it you are talking about a new production P210 from Sig USA. Unfortunatley, modern day Sig Sauer USA has been having quality control problems at every level of production. The best solution would be send it back to Sig Sauer for a replacement. If you don't want to send it back, then you can have a gun smith sight it in and then stake the sight into place.

Omega Man
04-12-11, 02:20
How was the accuracy on that baby?

Sam1002057
04-12-11, 03:03
Its more common than you would think. This happened on my Swiss made 210-6S. Standard remedy is to find a 210 front sight pusher tool and push it back into place. I've got one, but I don't think you're anywhere close to me...

I put a two drops of blue locktite in the channel to anchor it in place, rather than outright staking it and marring the finish, and it hasn't given me any issue since.

As much as it pains me to say it, I think you ought to send it back to Sig USA for repair... unless you know someone with the correct front sight tool that is close by.

Oh and Omega since you asked about accuracy... 2" groups are pretty easy @ 50 meters.

KhanRad
04-12-11, 09:50
I put a two drops of blue locktite in the channel to anchor it in place, rather than outright staking it and marring the finish, and it hasn't given me any issue since.

I would agree that loctite is a safer option. However, they way the OP described how loose the sight is, he'll likely need to stake it otherwise the shooting vibrations will cause the sight to drift again.

40Arpent
04-12-11, 10:22
Thanks for the responses thus far. It is not the new P210 Legend, but a Swiss P210-2. Accuracy is stellar; I was consistently hitting a 6 inch plate at 100 yards shooting offhand with a variety of factory ammo.

Khanrad, you are correct, it is so loose that I can push the sight into the dovetail by hand all the way to the indexing marks. I'd obviously prefer not to have it staked, so at this point, I am hoping a reputable gunsmith can offer a less invasive fix. Time to start dialing....

spdldr
04-12-11, 11:03
First, you have my sympathy. That is very upsetting to have that happen to such a fine weapon.

Here is what I would do. I would select a large diameter punch and polish the tip that impacts the work. Then remove the front sight completely and using the punch, gently knock down the top of the dovetail in the slide on both sides. Spread the impact the full width of the slot. Do this until there is significant resistance when you try to re-insert the sight. Then apply locktite and re-install the blade. I suspect that this is what would be done anyway if you were to take it to a gunsmith. If done right, it should not be easily visible.

Two other ways this could be done are: 1) peen only the center of the bottom portion of the dovetail on the blade. 2) install a small set screw in the slide below the blade.

P.S. Here is a possible third way. You could use a dremel to cut a depression in the bottom center of the sight. Then cut a corresponding depression in the top of the slide in the dovetail. Then use some epoxy based material to fill the cavities. Since the material would actually have to shear, this may be a good solution.

Good luck, whatever you decide to do!

40Arpent
04-12-11, 11:36
Thanks spdldr, those are all good considerations. Much appreciated.

Norinco
04-12-11, 11:44
Good luck with Sig customer service. After two months of their rep ignoring my emails and phone calls I finally got my GSR in for factory repair. That thing was a catastrophe after 400rds. When I got it back the work was HORRIBLE! They replaced my slide but failed to install my night-sights on the new one, the hammer would not press into the beavertail safety, there was a big gash in the extractor and the thing rattled like a jar of penny's.

gringop
04-12-11, 11:48
My quick fix for this issue would be to cut a shim out of a beer can and see if that would fit between the bottom of the sight and the dovetail. The aluminum is pretty soft and will deform enough to allow you to drift the sight in.

Gringop

40Arpent
04-12-11, 12:40
Thanks gringop.

I just got off the phone with one of the Novak gunsmiths. Their remedy is to peen the dovetail on the sight itself, so I'll be sending it to them.

TOrrock
04-12-11, 12:43
Thanks gringop.

I just got off the phone with one of the Novak gunsmiths. Their remedy is to peen the dovetail on the sight itself, so I'll be sending it to them.

Novak's has done SIG 210's in the past.

Beautiful weapon. I had one briefly. Bit the hell out of the web of my hand with hammer bite, but damn it was beautifully built.

Art in steel.

40Arpent
04-12-11, 12:49
Novak's has done SIG 210's in the past.

Beautiful weapon. I had one briefly. Bit the hell out of the web of my hand with hammer bite, but damn it was beautifully built.

Art in steel.

Thanks Templar. It has been on my bucket list for a very long time. It was one of the threads here where someone had posted a pic of a Novak P210 that put the bug in my ear about calling them first.

I knew about the hammer bite going in, but that wasn't going to stop me. Thankfully, it doesn't bite me at all.

JohnN
04-12-11, 19:29
So you can all drool;).

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/6683/sig0467.jpg