PDA

View Full Version : Wolff XP Buffer Spring replacement. Q&A

Joshk
04-11-11, 16:36
I have a AR-15 that shoots a 7.62x39. I have a DTI lower, and a 7.62x39 upper. I was having issues with the 10 round clip loading the round into the chamber. I felt it like the buffer spring in the 5.56 lower wasn't strong enough to push the round into the chamber when the charging handle was pulled all the way to the back. So I ordered a Wolff xp buffer spring. The xp spring is a least 2 inches longer than the original factory buffer spring so the guns bolt does not lock back as far as it should. The spring needs to be cut down I believe. I would do it myself, but I don't want to ruin my new $20 XP Wolff Spring.

What can I do?
Can I do it myself?

Any input would be welcome.

Thanks,
Joshk

jonconsiglio
04-11-11, 17:28
Did you accidentally order a rifle length spring? Send it back if so.

Did you try other mags first? It's hard for me to believe the spring is too weak.

Also, I really wouldn't call this a Q&A, it's more of just a couple Q's.

Joshk
04-11-11, 17:49
Well it was a question, and I wanted an answer so I thought it was appropriate. Either way its a AR-15 Wolff xp Buffer spring. Its not the wrong spring. The question is about the spring, and what i need to do to make it fit. The documentation with the spring reads:

WOLFF SPECIFIC PURPOSE GUNSPRINGS are normally designed and manufactured to be installed without fitting, unless noted. In some instances, due to factory engineering changes Wolff springs may not fit or may require fitting for proper functioning. WOLF GENERAL PURPOSE GUNSPRINGS require fitting prior to final installation.

So the question remains.

Stan9106
04-11-11, 18:48
I have a Wolf XP carbine buffer spring. It's less than 1 inch longer than the BCM standard carbine buffer spring. Neither had to be cut or fitted to work in a standard carbine buffer tube.

Iraqgunz
04-12-11, 00:26
Josh,

It doesn't matter if it says "AR15" spring. You need to make sure it's correct. There are RIFLE springs and CARBINE springs. They are different lengths. You need to make sure you have the right one.

Well it was a question, and I wanted an answer so I thought it was appropriate. Either way its a AR-15 Wolff xp Buffer spring. Its not the wrong spring. The question is about the spring, and what i need to do to make it fit. The documentation with the spring reads:

WOLFF SPECIFIC PURPOSE GUNSPRINGS are normally designed and manufactured to be installed without fitting, unless noted. In some instances, due to factory engineering changes Wolff springs may not fit or may require fitting for proper functioning. WOLF GENERAL PURPOSE GUNSPRINGS require fitting prior to final installation.

So the question remains.

jonconsiglio
04-12-11, 09:07
Then what do you want to hear, do you want us to tell you to just cut 2" off?

It IS the wrong spring. Carbine springs are roughly 11.25" and rifle springs are roughly 13". There's your 2". Here's "what you need to do to make it fit".... Send it back.

ETA -

Better yet, here it is from the tech manual

RIFLE: 11 3/4 Inches minimum to 13 1/2 inches maximum

CARBINE: 10 1/16 inches minimum to 11 1/4 inches maximum.

So the question remains.