PDA

View Full Version : M&P45 LEO vs. non LEO models

rjacobs
04-11-11, 17:49
Ive been itching to get an M&P45 and after the other thread I started was showing that the M&P45's may be the better M&P's to get right now I started the search.

In the 45, are the LEO and non-LEO models identical? Their SKU's from S&W are the same(at least on the web site) where as the SKU's from the M&P9, 40 and .357 are different between the LEO and non-LEO models.

Only reason I ask is that none of the LEO outlets I have been looking into have any in stock, but my local non-leo S&W dealer can get me the M&P45 midsize, SKU#109307, in a day or two. This SKU shows as both the LEO and non-LEO model so I am confused.

rathos
04-11-11, 19:37
I purchased an LEO model .45 last year. It was no different then the non-leo model other then it came in a black box. There were no extra mags or anything out of the ordinary. They had a non-leo model that was exactly the same at the store, but it was in a blue box. It had the same features, no ILS or mag safety.

.45fmjoe
04-11-11, 20:05
I thought all the LEO models came with 3 magazines.

rjacobs
04-11-11, 20:20
I thought all the LEO models came with 3 magazines.

They are supposed to, I think. My two 9mm LEO models came with three.

The thing, like I said, that has me confused is the SKU's are exactly the same between LEO and non-LEO models, only for the .45's.

.45fmjoe
04-11-11, 20:38
Oh, maybe the .45 ACP models only come with 2 magazines for the LEO package? But that wouldn't make sense because the QC is supposed to be higher on the LEO models.

Ga45fan
04-12-11, 07:32
Oh, maybe the .45 ACP models only come with 2 magazines for the LEO package? But that wouldn't make sense because the QC is supposed to be higher on the LEO models.

that's the first time I've heard that, does S&W state that anywhere?

Mike169
04-12-11, 07:49
Previously, LEO models were only available with 3 mags, night sights, and mag disconnect. They now have some variance there, as I've seen blue label M&Ps with regular sights and no mag disconnect, but all the ones I've seen still come with three mags (even the sub-compacts, although I cannot speak for the M&P45c)

YMMV of course..

KTR03
04-12-11, 07:52
that's the first time I've heard that, does S&W state that anywhere?

Grant said that the LE guns have great QC in the problem thread. I really doubt that SW would say that anywhere. I believe Grant, but to say you give greater QC to LE guns could be spun into "we don't do enough QC on civvie guns" pretty quickly.

cgcorrea
04-12-11, 08:17
I have an LEO model M&P 45 FS that I purchased in February of 2010. It came with night sights, thumb safety, and 3 mags. As far as QC goes, all I know is I have yet to experience a weapon related malfunction. The gun doesn't have a particularly high round count(almost 3,000 rds), but something tells me I'm not gonna experience one for a good long time.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Edit: I forgot to mention that it came in a black case as well.

chapperjoe
04-12-11, 08:34
I have one of the performance center marked guns that were done for an LE agency.

the only changes appear to be night sights and an extra mag.

G34Shooter
04-12-11, 11:53
But who's really going to notice the extra QC? From other threads here from people who know better than myself many manufacturers have different tiers for the civilian made firearms and LEO/Mil firearms.

grimm
04-12-11, 13:46
I didn't know that there was a difference. So basically, m&p's going to leo has a different qc assembly line/lane? Interesting..

rjacobs
04-12-11, 13:56
Didnt mean this to be a more vs. less QC debate, we know all that. OR different parts or anything like that in civ vs. leo guns.

My question was, how do you tell the difference, or is there any, with the SKU's on the .45 models being the same between LEO and non-LEO models?

Every other caliber gets different SKU's between LEO and non-LEO, but not the .45.

I cant find a LEO dealer around me that has any in stock, but my local non-leo dealer can get me one and since the SKU's are the same, if nothing else is any different I will just grab one from him.

Hornbuckle
04-12-11, 16:23
From what I've researched and understand, the difference between the LE and Non LE models is that the LE models don't have the keyhole key safety and there is not a magazine disconnect.

I've got a LE M&P full size 9MM that has a warning on the slide saying that it will fire with the magazine removed. The civilian models won't do that. I love my M&P and if I could carry it at work I would. However, the rules I gotta play by is to carry a Glock.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the M&P in either variation.

firecop019
04-12-11, 16:39
Grant said that the LE guns have great QC in the problem thread. I really doubt that SW would say that anywhere. I believe Grant, but to say you give greater QC to LE guns could be spun into "we don't do enough QC on civvie guns" pretty quickly.

I don't think it's LE guns themselves that get better QC, it's that it's a law enforcement officer. They have a very fast turn around for law enforcement firearms because they are duty guns and are needed back in officer's hands as quickly as possible.

BrianS
04-12-11, 17:04
Why would it be hard to believe that S&W has better QC for LEO guns than for non LEO? Remington has openly done the same thing for 870s for years, even using better materials for parts in the 870 Police guns.

sobiloff
04-12-11, 19:25
I've got a LE M&P full size 9MM that has a warning on the slide saying that it will fire with the magazine removed. The civilian models won't do that.

You sure about that? I just bought a full size 9mm with thumb safety (SKU #206301) and while it has the printed warning on the side of the slide, it's listed on S&W's site as a standard model. It's also listed by SKU on S&W's LE site.

While I respect the information coming from the industry pros here, at the very least S&W is hiding the line between LE and non-LE models.

S. Kelly
04-12-11, 19:57
My M&P45s have come in a black case, is this one way to check if it's an LE gun?