PDA

View Full Version : AK47 & Ace Folding Stock?

Fuzzy-Reticle
04-11-11, 18:41
After looking at the web site for Ace folding stocks I need some help.

Which receiver block do I purchase for my Arsenal SGL21 that does not require me to cut the tang off of my rifle?

I don't really feel like cutting my rifle.

I emailed Ace but I figured one you may know now.

Any help would be appreciated.

kartoffel
04-11-11, 22:05
There are adapters that work without cutting the tang, but they put the hinge pretty far back and make for a long length of pull.

Loophole answer: replace your rear trunnion with an original side- or under-folder. Requires drilling and riveting on the receiver, but not cutting the old trunnion's tang.

TOrrock
04-11-11, 22:08
The no modification model:

http://riflestocks.com/store/product63.html

Fuzzy-Reticle
04-11-11, 22:45
That's the one i thought was a no mod install but needed reassuring. Thanks.

Anchor Zero Six
04-12-11, 09:43
The ACE receiver block that requires cutting the rear tang WILL require milling as it dosnt just slip into the SGL21...trust me on this I did it last weekend. You can see the unfinished area where it was milled here (looks white in the pic). If you are handy with a dremel you could do it that way as well.

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff193/AnchorStation/ak7.jpg

Templar posted the ACE block that dosnt require any mods. It does add a bit of length to the set up so maybe consider a shorter stock. I'm running the 8.5" to keep the original 9.5 length so you may want to look at the 7.5 stock.

As for the AK100 style stock as a retrofit...its a job. I still may end up doing it if I can get some measurments but the ACE is certainly the easy button solution.

Two more options would be the Vltor AR stock adapter and the Polish Tantal side folding wire stock. Both are no mod drop ins. The Vltor dosnt side fold but allows you to add an AR car style collapable stock. While I'm not a big fan of ARing an AK this one looks the best of the current crop. I think the Polish wire stock looks natural on the AK but from everything I have read and heard wire stocks sort of suck in terms of cheek weld (go figure).

Fuzzy-Reticle
04-12-11, 11:57
I will definately have to get the 7.5" stock to keep the overall length down.

All the input is much appreciated. I wanted to make sure I was 100% correct before I ordered. Thanks! :D

Ordered today.

After adding a Midwest Industries handgaurd and a Burris fastfire I almost have it the way I want it.

Just waiting for US Palm grip to show from Onesource tactical. :(

Anchor Zero Six
04-12-11, 12:11
Got my Palm grip from Midway (in stock)

Fuzzy-Reticle
04-12-11, 20:09
I wanted some US Palm mags also so I got them and a pistol grip from Onesource. They have the mags and the other parts but not the grip and are waiting for them to come in. I can wait. No time to shoot for at least the next 20 days.

TOrrock
04-12-11, 20:14
Have you done any independent, non Suarez, research into the US Palm AK mags?

Fuzzy-Reticle
04-12-11, 21:35
I have seen them used in a local class by the instructor. I handled them and watched the owner put them through his rifle and do many mag changes where he dumped the mag on the ground instead of retaining them (personal choice, tactically it probably is faster to leave the mag instead of putting it in a pouch or dump bag).

They seemed to be pretty well made (sorta like a Pmag).

I liked the overall feel of them and they seemed to sturdy enough.

I really won't know until I get my own and abuse them myself. Worth a try.

I ordered 2 of them so I could see if I like them enough to buy more.

You know as well as anyone that AK mags are pretty much bomb proof but nothing is perfect or ever 100% reliable 100% of the time. I like Chinese AK mags myself but I own some Bulgarian metal mags and a few Romy mags and a couple of Czech ones. They all work just fine but all metal AK mags are heavy and if these US Palm mags can take the abuse and save some weight I am all for them.

Bulgy Circle 10 mags are getting tougher to find and prices are going up.

I would like to support a small company and a US made product. If they don't hold up they dont hold up and I will stick with my metal mags or slowly acquire Bulgy Circle 10 mags.

TOrrock
04-13-11, 06:37
We're veering off topic, but you know that the locking lugs on the US Palm mags are polymer that are covered in a very thin strip of metal.....