PDA

View Full Version : Carrying at work....

Derek_Connor
09-29-07, 09:02
Anyone here work in scrubs?

Pinnacle
09-29-07, 11:11
Yes. Carrying anything for me would be strictly forbidden.

ST911
09-29-07, 11:32
Anyone here work in scrubs?

Occasionally.

Ankle, fanny pack, and pocket carry has worked for me. Higher quality scrubs of a denser fabric help, too. The belly bands, thunderwear, et al have utility as well.

dctag
09-29-07, 19:21
I have a friend that swears by his thunderwear holster. I think its weird but he is up on his feet all day and loves it.

Derek_Connor
09-29-07, 19:39
My hesitation with using a fanny pack for carrying is that I would want to use it as a multi-purpose bag also (wallet, phone, pens, paper, knife etc).

And I do not want to risk exposing or making it that MUCH more obvious that I am carrying..

Grin Reaper
09-29-07, 21:20
http://www.blackhawk.com/product1.asp?P=60WF&C=C1758

BlackHawk's patented 5*5*10 Urban Carry Case delivers performance by enabling you to open the case, draw the wapon and shoot 5 rounds in unde 5 seconds at 10 yards. BlackHawk dubbed this the Urban Carry Case because the holster design allows you to substitute batons, flashlights, cell phones, or similar item in place of your pistol. The 5*5*10 U.C.C. is fully ambidextrous. The main compartment is superfast and efficient with a zippered breakaway pocket. The hoslter wraps around your pistol (or other gadget) providing safe trigger protection. The retention of the holster is fully adjustable.

I used to wear scrubs to work daily (and still do 1-2 times a month), and I have only good stuff to say about this product EXCEPT that Blackhawk only makes them in 'tactical' black, now. If you choose this carry method, you'll want to add a non-threatening colorful patch/logo (think "hello, kitty" or some such :p ).
I was lucky enough to find a maroon one in medium and a blue one in small on closeout somewhere -- nothing less tactical than maroon!

Sizes -- the small will comfortably handle a Glock 23/19/30 & spare mag.
Medium -- Glock 17/22/21 & spare mag., or Commander-sized 1911.
Large -- never used one, but should handle full-sized 1911 well BUT this would be a BIG fanny pack.

There's a front pocket for wallet, keys, flashlight.

Comfort -- not as good as a standard belt holster, but by no means uncomfortable. I wore the small for several 10-hour days while on our church relief mission to post-Katrina Biloxi, while doing manual labor.

ETA -- Blue, burgundy, and green available at http://www.hsgear.biz/ProductInfo~productid~54-5510PACK.html !

Plastic Fantastic
09-29-07, 22:44
I wear scrubs to a busy ER. Ankle holsters seems to work the best for me. Due to the baggy legs, I can access the pistol quickly. I considered the Thunderwear, but scrub pants have drawstrings. Bellybands would work well, but a co-worker could give you a friendly pat and discover that you are carrying. We deal with alot of belligerent, intoxicated individuals, gang bangers and such. We just had to disarm a mental health patient who brought in a handgun. Of course, that day I didn't carry. I've disarmed a few patients trying to harm us with knives. Our security dept. is a bit of a joke, we have to protect ourselves. We're not allowed to carry anything to protect ourselves or our jobs will be terminated. Better that, than to be terminated. I can always find another job.:)