PDA

View Full Version : Spam can shelf life?

Josh-L
04-11-11, 23:09
My dad and I got a few sealed spam cans of Russian ammo to keep in our "survival end of the world" stash lol. What is the shelf life of this stuff? I did a search but didn't come up with anything. I figured some of the surplus stuff has been around a long long time but didn't know if any studies had been done to show how long it would actually be good for.

skyugo
04-12-11, 00:06
people are still shooting WWI surplus ammo.
I'd say a spam can of modern-ish ammo should last at least a human lifetime (100 or so years) with no problem. especially if stored in a dry place.

Iraqgunz
04-12-11, 00:32
We had ammo in Iraq from Hungary that was dated back into the 60's and it worked fine in the AK's.

As long as they have been stored properly and are sealed you should be good.

Josh-L
04-12-11, 22:37
Would a shelf in the garage be ok? It would be dry but have the crazy Oklahoma weather temp change.

ma96782
04-25-11, 02:45
My dad and I got a few sealed spam cans of Russian ammo to keep in our "survival end of the world" stash lol. What is the shelf life of this stuff? I did a search but didn't come up with anything. I figured some of the surplus stuff has been around a long long time but didn't know if any studies had been done to show how long it would actually be good for.

Dude........each can is an environment onto it's self.

How do you know that your can is still holding it's seal?
How do you know that your can wasn't packed by a drunk Russian who pissed on the ammo the day it was sealed?
How do you know that the lot# of the powder was later found to be &$@^ and thus, the cans were sold off as surplus.....not fit for the for the Russian Army but, for an Imperialist Amerikan :D.

Get the drift?

I've shot ammo over 50 years old (made in USA) kept under God only knows what kinds of conditions. Some have worked flawlessly and some well........:confused:

Actually, I'd do the same (ammo for TEOTWAWKI)........only I don't worry so much.:blink: Right. Trust. It all ends in 2012 anyway. LOL.

Aloha, Mark