PDA

View Full Version : ar 15 space compensator

ilikeguns111
04-12-11, 17:44
Anyone have any experience with a EGW space compensator?

http://egw-guns.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=57_133&products_id=148

I just tried out my bushmaster Y compensator and it is by far the worst compensator I've ever used it blows back the gases towards the shooter.

I also tried my smith enterprise muzzle brake and was not impressed.

I'm thinking of getting the space compensator but would like to know if anyone has any experience with it?

Or know of anything that will work better?

I'm also thinking of getting a rolling thunder. But the space comp is so unique and I have never heard anything of it or seen in it action.

I don't want the sjc titan because it apears to push the gases towards the shooter with the side baffles like my bushmaster y comp.

mtdawg169
04-12-11, 21:32
What exactly are you using this rifle for? For someone who seems to have an aversion to muzzle blast, you sure do pick out some loud ass brakes. Most of those direct blast to the sides and seem to be geared towards competition use. The Surefire muzzle brake, KAC Triple Tap and the Battle Comp are some of the most highly regarded brakes when it comes to muzzle control for a tactical brake. The KAC & the Battle Comp are very effective without the obnoxious blast associated with most comps.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
04-12-11, 21:33
OP, are you ban state restricted?

Abraxas
04-12-11, 21:39
Have you thought of a Battle Comp or the PWS FSC comp?

SA80Dan
04-12-11, 22:17
Anyone have any experience with a EGW space compensator?

http://egw-guns.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=57_133&products_id=148

I just tried out my bushmaster Y compensator and it is by far the worst compensator I've ever used it blows back the gases towards the shooter.

I also tried my smith enterprise muzzle brake and was not impressed.

I'm thinking of getting the space compensator but would like to know if anyone has any experience with it?

Or know of anything that will work better?

I'm also thinking of getting a rolling thunder. But the space comp is so unique and I have never heard anything of it or seen in it action.

I don't want the sjc titan because it apears to push the gases towards the shooter with the side baffles like my bushmaster y comp.

The EGW looks somewhat similar to a Miculek comp to me. If it works similar chances are it will be LOUD - but it will work as advertised. However, I've never seen an EGW at any matches so I'm just surmising based on looks.

The Titan is nothing like a Y Comp....the Titan works much better, but in a tight space, as with most of the more dedicated compensators, it will be concussive by its nature.

Unless you feel you need a real rip snorting dedicated competition comp, given that it sounds like you don't like the associated blast with the things, I'd suggest a Battlecomp, which although is a compromise device I find really nice to use in all circumstances, not just matches.

One final suggestion, for a normal comp that is not as obnoxious as most, you could do a lot worse than a Nordic components tactical compensator - really punches above its weight for the $35 it costs, IMHO.

ilikeguns111
04-12-11, 22:44
The EGW looks somewhat similar to a Miculek comp to me. If it works similar chances are it will be LOUD - but it will work as advertised. However, I've never seen an EGW at any matches so I'm just surmising based on looks.

The Titan is nothing like a Y Comp....the Titan works much better, but in a tight space, as with most of the more dedicated compensators, it will be concussive by its nature.

Unless you feel you need a real rip snorting dedicated competition comp, given that it sounds like you don't like the associated blast with the things, I'd suggest a Battlecomp, which although is a compromise device I find really nice to use in all circumstances, not just matches.

One final suggestion, for a normal comp that is not as obnoxious as most, you could do a lot worse than a Nordic components tactical compensator - really punches above its weight for the $35 it costs, IMHO.
So it won't direct gas towards the shooter? I don't doubt it doesn't work I'm just worried about the side baffles directing gas towards the shooter based on videos and pictures of seeing them pointed towards the shooter.The space comp has one more baffle then the Miculek which makes me think it is a little more potent than the Miclek at taming recoil. Any idea where I can get the Miculek comp for cheap?

Have you thought of a Battle Comp or the PWS FSC comp?
I have the pws for my ak and it is awesome. The battle comps small ports(which I would think can get clogged) and price are the draw back for me.

What exactly are you using this rifle for? For someone who seems to have an aversion to muzzle blast, you sure do pick out some loud ass brakes. Most of those direct blast to the sides and seem to be geared towards competition use. The Surefire muzzle brake, KAC Triple Tap and the Battle Comp are some of the most highly regarded brakes when it comes to muzzle control for a tactical brake. The KAC & the Battle Comp are very effective without the obnoxious blast associated with most comps.
Read above. The surefire seems appealing to me but again the price is the deterring factor.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
04-12-11, 22:55
I have the pws for my ak and it is awesome. The battle comps small ports(which I would think can get clogged) and price are the draw back for me.

Clogged with what? High pressure gasses tend to unclog things fairly quickly.

Clint
04-13-11, 01:06
Yes, what are you looking for in a muzzle device?

Recoil/muzzle flip reduction?

Flash suppression?

Low blast?

Figuring out which of these are important to you should help you select a device that's meets your needs.

SA80Dan
04-13-11, 09:22
So it won't direct gas towards the shooter? I don't doubt it doesn't work I'm just worried about the side baffles directing gas towards the shooter based on videos and pictures of seeing them pointed towards the shooter.The space comp has one more baffle then the Miculek which makes me think it is a little more potent than the Miclek at taming recoil. Any idea where I can get the Miculek comp for cheap?

1. Well, it does a bit, but to me it wasn't really that much more noticable than the other competition oriented comps I have tried (Rolling Thunder, Miculek, Nordic Tactical). What was noticable to me was that it does a better job than those others. As everyone keeps saying, it really does depend on what you want it for - if you are about shaving tenths of seconds off stage times, I'd go the Titan and learn to live with it - plenty of top shooters use them without issue. That said it is hard for anyone else but you to gauge your sensitivity to the "blast", so really, if you can I'd advise to see if you can try out before you buy - maybe at a local rifle/3 Gun match or something.

2. Miculek comp for cheap: http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ARR535-7.html

mtdawg169
04-13-11, 10:16

Read above. The surefire seems appealing to me but again the price is the deterring factor.

You still haven't answered the question. What is your intended use? Without that information, its hard for us to help you. You seem to have an aversion to muzzle blast. If that is the case, any of the pure comps that direct gasses to the 3 & 9 o'clock positions are probably not going to be what you're looking for. They will all rattle your teeth. IIRC, in another recent thread, several folks tried to steer you away from the two comps you've already tried. You already like the PWS, so why not get another and drive on? If cost is a concern, buy a known good like a PWS or BC. They may be a little more than the others upfront, but certainly less expensive than buying multiple comps and figuring out that they are too loud for your tastes after the money is out the door. I hate to be cliche, but buy once, cry once. The PWS & BC will typically have less concussive blast than a competion comp, with the edge going to the BC in terms of the best combination of muzzle control, flash suppression and blast.