PDA

View Full Version : PK Firearms ?

N.Y.45 ACP
09-29-07, 17:26
Has anyone used PK Firearms and if so how was your dealings with them.

Any feedback will be appreciated.

I'm looking at an SDI barreled upper from them.

http://www.pkfirearms.com

Thanks

molsen
09-29-07, 17:51
I have ordered from PK several times and they have always been nothing but great to me. They are one of the first places I go to when I want to get something.

N.Y.45 ACP
09-29-07, 18:06
Thanks Molson...anyone else?

N.Y.45 ACP
09-29-07, 18:12
Molsen...excuce my misspelling

ess45
09-29-07, 18:29
Bought a Saber Defence stripped upper from them. Fast shipping. No problem.

IrishDevil
09-29-07, 18:44
I just bought an SDI middy, fast shipping, had it 2 days after my order.

abnk
09-29-07, 21:08
I've only bought parts from them at gun shows. The experience varied depending on the person I delt with.

carbinero
09-29-07, 22:49
IrishDevil: are you interested in sharing specifics on the SDI? It's at the top of my list, and PK is the place. Did you get the CMT or Sabre, how do the ramps look, etc. I'd be appreciative.

gunny
09-29-07, 23:16

Thanks

One of the best dealers around. Quick shipping & outstanding QS.

uranus
09-29-07, 23:40
I purchased a Saber Defence barrel from PK a month or two ago. I hadn't purchased from them before, but they were the only dealer that I could find that had the barrel that I wanted in stock. Quick shipping, reasonable price.

I installed the barrel on a CMT upper. Feed ramps line up fine.

IrishDevil
09-30-07, 00:55
I went with the Sabre upper, excellent quality. Compared it to a CMT upper I have and the Sabre seems to be a little nicer. Ramps line up perfectly, seriously considering getting another and moving away from the carbine gas system altogether. I've got a BCM bcg and Larue forend on the way from Grant for this upper.

MikeCLeonard
09-30-07, 02:59
I have used PK Firearms for a number of purchases and I can't even say enough good things about them. Fast shipping, good prices, AWESOME customer service. They are a top notch group to deal with if they have what you want.

N.Y.45 ACP
09-30-07, 06:45
Thanks all that replied.

Sam
09-30-07, 07:56
I've bought from them. Quick shipping, reasonable price, good experience.

C4IGrant
09-30-07, 10:53

Thanks

PK is playing a game of sorts. You do realize that the only part of this weapon that comes from SD is the barrel right? You can of course add a SD upper receiver, but it costs more.

PK is the main reason that SD went to marked upper receivers as they were selling "complete SD uppers" except they were using substandard upper receivers and BCG's and hoping the consumer wouldn't realize that they weren't actually geting an authentic SD upper.

C4

N.Y.45 ACP
09-30-07, 11:08
Grant

Thanks for that bit of info.

I saw that they offer an SDI upper receiver as an option for $30. Does this sound like the right price for the upgrade?

I may be better off coming to you for a complete upper.

Could you get a SDI 16" SS barrel with a troy or daniel defense rail on a SDI upper receiver with a quality BCG - I think you have said the FN unit is good or a BCM or LMT ?

I would like the upper to be complete and ready to install on a lower when i decide what to get.

One more thing , I live in New York State so I need to be AWB compliant - no flash hider but a compensator is ok as I understand the law to be.

Thanks

C4IGrant
09-30-07, 11:54
Grant

Thanks for that bit of info.

I saw that they offer an SDI upper receiver as an option for $30. Does this sound like the right price for the upgrade?

I may be better off coming to you for a complete upper.

Could you get a SDI 16" SS barrel with a troy or daniel defense rail on a SDI upper receiver with a quality BCG - I think you have said the FN unit is good or a BCM or LMT ?

I would like the upper to be complete and ready to install on a lower when i decide what to get.

One more thing , I live in New York State so I need to be AWB compliant - no flash hider but a compensator is ok as I understand the law to be.

Thanks

The SD upper receivers are some of the nicest I have seen, so I would most likely do the upgrade. Also if you look, they don't even give you the option of getting a SD BCG. RRA is your only choice.

I have SD upper receivers in stock and their lowers. I don't have any of their SS barrels in stock, but do have Noveske and Loather Walther's.

You do need a MB of some kind on your weapon.

C4

N.Y.45 ACP
09-30-07, 12:55
I will pm you with my requests for a build.

thanks

Patrick Aherne
09-30-07, 13:20
I would go with Grant of G&R Tactical. He carries SD and if he says something, he does it. It's a novel concept in this industry.

AR15barrels
09-30-07, 13:40
That muzzle brake needs to be permanently attached as well.

carbinero
09-30-07, 13:45
If I go SDI from PK, I already decided to get my BCG from Grant. I like the Torx and look from pics better even than BCM.

What is an "MB?"

How are CMT upper receivers inferior to SDIs? If they both have the M4 extensions and line up right with the ramps, is it the material quality? The exterior finish? In another post I think Grant mentioned the SDI receivers were darker than others, so for cosmetics maybe some would want to match SDI to SDI.

Shihan
09-30-07, 15:31
PK is playing a game of sorts. You do realize that the only part of this weapon that comes from SD is the barrel right? You can of course add a SD upper receiver, but it costs more.

PK is the main reason that SD went to marked upper receivers as they were selling "complete SD uppers" except they were using substandard upper receivers and BCG's and hoping the consumer wouldn't realize that they weren't actually geting an authentic SD upper.

C4

Thats how there retail prices are quite abit lower than what the SD dealers pay.

C4IGrant
09-30-07, 17:01
If I go SDI from PK, I already decided to get my BCG from Grant. I like the Torx and look from pics better even than BCM.

What is an "MB?"

How are CMT upper receivers inferior to SDIs? If they both have the M4 extensions and line up right with the ramps, is it the material quality? The exterior finish? In another post I think Grant mentioned the SDI receivers were darker than others, so for cosmetics maybe some would want to match SDI to SDI.

MB is muzzle brake.

We have found a lot canted CMT upper receivers (and so have other dealers). The SDI's have better anodizing IMHO and are just bette machined I think.

We have stopped ordering CMT upper receivers as we have found a better receiver for about the same money.

CMT's M4 cuts are almost none existant. I prefer the cuts to be a little deeper (like how Colt and LMT do theirs).

C4

C4IGrant
09-30-07, 17:09
Thats how there retail prices are quite abit lower than what the SD dealers pay.

Yes. When we first picked up our SD account, I did a little search around the net to see what folks were selling SD products for. I stumbled upon PK's website and noticed that their "SD uppers" were priced BELOW my dealer price. So I contacted SD and asked them what was up. They advised that PK just buys the barrels and then uses cheaper parts. In the past, PK didn't not come out and say that these uppers were not 100% SD. I am guessing that they changed how their ad reads because I asked SD to mark their uppers and BCG's so that companies couldn't play the shell game.

A lot of dealers buy one or two components from a well known manufacturer and then use cheaper parts to build the rest of the weapon. Most consumsers do not know what to look for or what questions to ask in order to make sure something is the real deal.

Because of dealers switching around parts, LMT stopped selling stripped barrels, upper and lower receivers. :mad: It just takes a few bad apples to ruin it for the rest of us.

C4

Shihan
09-30-07, 18:22
Yes. When we first picked up our SD account, I did a little search around the net to see what folks were selling SD products for. I stumbled upon PK's website and noticed that their "SD uppers" were priced BELOW my dealer price. So I contacted SD and asked them what was up. They advised that PK just buys the barrels and then uses cheaper parts. In the past, PK didn't not come out and say that these uppers were not 100% SD. I am guessing that they changed how their ad reads because I asked SD to mark their uppers and BCG's so that companies couldn't play the shell game.

A lot of dealers buy one or two components from a well known manufacturer and then use cheaper parts to build the rest of the weapon. Most consumsers do not know what to look for or what questions to ask in order to make sure something is the real deal.

Because of dealers switching around parts, LMT stopped selling stripped barrels, upper and lower receivers. :mad: It just takes a few bad apples to ruin it for the rest of us.

C4

Yup. Grant im very unfamiliar with SD and just recieved their dealer packet last week. Their pricing structure is quite aggresive and makes a LMT look cheap by comparison. Do you think Sabres quality justifies the price difference between a comparable SD and LMT complete upper?

N.Y.45 ACP
09-30-07, 19:35
I too would be interested in hearing your thoughts between SD and LMT complete uppers.

carbinero
09-30-07, 19:56
Me, too, and WOA, if it's not too far off topic.

K9-Bob
10-01-07, 02:46
I've known Paul McKitrick for almost 10 years. He started out selling parts at various gun shows and just recently branched with out with his internet sales.
His prices are fair and his customer service is outstanding.

I've always known Paul to be a truthful and honest guy. I know that through my personal business dealings with him, he and and his staff have done everything possible to make me happy. I know for a fact that if you purchase something from him and it's not right, he will make it right. Paul is not the kind of guy that back peddles and whine about doing the right thing. He just does it.

What more could you ask for? As far as calling him out and claiming that SDI has to mark their upper receivers because of him, sounds like utter BS.

Prove it I say.

It seems that the only people that have a problem with PK Firearms are those that are in direct competition with them.

C4IGrant
10-01-07, 08:18
Yup. Grant im very unfamiliar with SD and just recieved their dealer packet last week. Their pricing structure is quite aggresive and makes a LMT look cheap by comparison. Do you think Sabres quality justifies the price difference between a comparable SD and LMT complete upper?

SD prices themselves in the Colt realm. Is it justified? In some instances yes. In others, no.

C4

C4IGrant
10-01-07, 08:21
Me, too, and WOA, if it's not too far off topic.

LMT HPT/MP test each and every barrel. SD does batch MP testing. LMT HPT/MP tests every bolt. SD does batch testing here as well.

I think SD barrels are some of the best on the market. The "fit" of their weapons and the anodizing is some of the best, if not the best in the industry.

LMT represents a good value I think.

I view WOA as a good entry level barrel.

C4

C4IGrant
10-01-07, 08:25
I've known Paul McKitrick for almost 10 years. He started out selling parts at various gun shows and just recently branched with out with his internet sales.
His prices are fair and his customer service is outstanding.

I've always known Paul to be a truthful and honest guy. I know that through my personal business dealings with him, he and and his staff have done everything possible to make me happy. I know for a fact that if you purchase something from him and it's not right, he will make it right. Paul is not the kind of guy that back peddles and whine about doing the right thing. He just does it.

What more could you ask for? As far as calling him out and claiming that SDI has to mark their upper receivers because of him, sounds like utter BS.

Prove it I say.

It seems that the only people that have a problem with PK Firearms are those that are in direct competition with them.

The proof is easy. SD NEVER marked their receivers or BCG's until they saw what PK was doing. So there is your proof right from SD's mouth to me. I will also add that PK was not alone in just using SD barrels and doing builds. There were a couple others that were doing the same thing.

How SD found out that companies were doing this is because they received a call from a customer about an upper not working. So SD had them ship the upper to them for inspection. When they got it, they realized that ONLY the barrel was their's and nothing else. The problem with the weapon was in direct relation to the cheap parts used.

I have no personal issue with PK, but am telling you what & why SD did what they did. If you don't want to believe it, I could care less.

C4

TWR
10-01-07, 12:37
LMT HPT/MP test each and every barrel. SD does batch MP testing. LMT HPT/MP tests every bolt. SD does batch testing here as well.

I think SD barrels are some of the best on the market. The "fit" of their weapons and the anodizing is some of the best, if not the best in the industry.

LMT represents a good value I think.

I view WOA as a good entry level barrel.

C4

Not the fit and finish thing again.:eek:

I have ordered several things from PK firearms and never had any problems with them.

C4IGrant
10-01-07, 12:43
Not the fit and finish thing again.:eek:

I have ordered several things from PK firearms and never had any problems with them.

Ya the fit thing again. While I do not view it as important, many others do so I mentioned it.

For anyone that thinks that I am saying that PK is going to steal your money and not ship your product or is in general a bad company, you would be mistaken. What I am saying is that in the past, their SD upper packages were not labeled properly and made people believe that they were getting an authentic SD upper when they were not.

C4

carbinero
10-01-07, 14:29
Sorry if my "Me, too" changed the direction of the question above.

I think the thrust of it was not just the barrel, but the upper receiver as well, if you'd like to comment on SD vs. LMT.

Lonestar.45
10-01-07, 23:21
I bought a Busmaster Superlight barreled upper from them about a year ago. Outstanding and quick service, some of the very best folks I've dealt with. I'd order from them again in a heartbeat, and probably will.

eddymunster
10-02-07, 16:18
I have done business with them in the past and can only say good things about them.

GaryXD
10-02-07, 23:01
I've done lots of business with PK. They are a class act. I bought an upper from them with a SDI barrel and they did not misrepresent it. I am quite pleased with it and it is as good or better than any upper I have ever had. Probably the only thing I miss about moving out of Illinois is that PK is not nearby to assemble my rifles for me.

royta
10-02-07, 23:42
The proof is easy. SD NEVER marked their receivers or BCG's until they saw what PK was doing. So there is your proof right from SD's mouth to me. I will also add that PK was not alone in just using SD barrels and doing builds. There were a couple others that were doing the same thing.

How SD found out that companies were doing this is because they received a call from a customer about an upper not working. So SD had them ship the upper to them for inspection. When they got it, they realized that ONLY the barrel was their's and nothing else. The problem with the weapon was in direct relation to the cheap parts used.

I have no personal issue with PK, but am telling you what & why SD did what they did. If you don't want to believe it, I could care less.

C4

Hey Grant. When did SDI start marking their uppers? I bought a complete SDI mid-length upper from Talon Arms (http://www.talonarms.com/) at the beginning of the year. I haven't even fired it yet. I'm moving out of CA in about 40 days anyway, so there's no point in tempting LEO and trying to prove the legality of my AR build, but that's a different story altogether. Anyway, Rob @ Talon Arms has always mentioned on the "other AR-15 site" that he gets his uppers completely assembled from SDI. With mine though, he did swap out the BCG to a FA BCG.

ETA - Hmm, now his site says his SDI uppers actually come with a CMT upper. LINK (http://www.talonarms.com/talonarms/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=127&products_id=311) There was no mention of that back in December 2006.

C4IGrant
10-03-07, 08:16
I've done lots of business with PK. They are a class act. I bought an upper from them with a SDI barrel and they did not misrepresent it. I am quite pleased with it and it is as good or better than any upper I have ever had. Probably the only thing I miss about moving out of Illinois is that PK is not nearby to assemble my rifles for me.

I don't know if you bought the upper over the phone or face to face, but what I was referring to was how the uppers WERE worded on their website. They have now changed the wording and is no longer misleading (IMHO).

C4

C4IGrant
10-03-07, 08:18
Hey Grant. When did SDI start marking their uppers? I bought a complete SDI mid-length upper from Talon Arms (http://www.talonarms.com/) at the beginning of the year. I haven't even fired it yet. I'm moving out of CA in about 40 days anyway, so there's no point in tempting LEO and trying to prove the legality of my AR build, but that's a different story altogether. Anyway, Rob @ Talon Arms has always mentioned on the "other AR-15 site" that he gets his uppers completely assembled from SDI. With mine though, he did swap out the BCG to a FA BCG.

ETA - Hmm, now his site says his SDI uppers actually come with a CMT upper. LINK (http://www.talonarms.com/talonarms/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=127&products_id=311) There was no mention of that back in December 2006.

I believe they started marking the uppers 3-4 months ago.

I would rather not comment on Talon as people seem to get upset when I tell the truth about their favorite dealer. I will just say that I think you might have figured it out already.

One of the "tell's" as to whether it is a SD upper or not is the anodizing. SD has some of the blackest anodizing I have ever seen. If you compare a CMT (Stag) against a SD, the color difference is very noticeable.

C4

royta
10-03-07, 09:12
I believe they started marking the uppers 3-4 months ago.

I would rather not comment on Talon as people seem to get upset when I tell the truth about their favorite dealer. I will just say that I think you might have figured it out already.

One of the "tell's" as to whether it is a SD upper or not is the anodizing. SD has some of the blackest anodizing I have ever seen. If you compare a CMT (Stag) against a SD, the color difference is very noticeable.

C4

Take a look at the picture HERE (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7974) and shoot me a PM.

C4IGrant
10-03-07, 09:15
Take a look at the picture HERE (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7974) and shoot me a PM.

PM sent.

C4

rubberneck
10-03-07, 09:16

C4

I am not questioning what you are saying here as I am sure that is exactly what you were told, but if a retailer of mine was marketing a product that claimed to be 100% mine and it wasn't that dealer wouldn't get another thing from me.

I have worked to hard over the years to develop the products I sell, and I go way out of the way to make sure that my company produces only the highest quality products possible. I take it as a matter of pride. There is no way in hell that I would allow a dealer to compromise the reputation of my product, especially if I felt the dealer showed a lack of integrity the first time.

If it were such a big deal to Saber Defense, to the point that they had to start marking everything they make (which can be quite expensive I might add) than why continue to supply him with uppers and barrels?

C4IGrant
10-03-07, 09:18
I am not questioning what you are saying here as I am sure that is exactly what you were told, but if a retailer of mine was marketing a product that claimed to be 100% mine and it wasn't that dealer wouldn't get another thing from me.

I have worked to hard over the years to develop the products I sell, and I go way out of the way to make sure that my company produces only the highest quality products possible. I take it as a matter of pride. There is no way in hell that I would allow a dealer to compromise the reputation of my product, especially if I felt the dealer showed a lack of integrity the first time.

If it were such a big deal to Saber Defense, to the point that they had to start marking everything they make (which can be quite expensive I might add) than why continue to supply him with uppers and barrels?

I like the way you think and agree 100%. Unfortunately SD didn't make as big of a deal of it as I would have.

C4

royta
10-03-07, 09:35

Regarding PKF: I talked to them on the phone in November or December of 2006 when I was getting ready to order an upper. I asked them what upper receivers they used, and they told me they used CMT. There was no beating around the bush. At the time, they didn't even have the option of SDI uppers, as they only had a single sample that they hadn't wiped the oil off of yet. They were nice folks, but I figured I'd feel a little bit better having an SDI complete upper, that was assembled by SDI. It sounds like they now have the option of SDI uppers, and I would have no problem at all of having them build me an upper assembly.

C4IGrant
10-03-07, 09:47
Regarding PKF: I talked to them on the phone in November or December of 2006 when I was getting ready to order an upper. I asked them what upper receivers they used, and they told me they used CMT. There was no beating around the bush. At the time, they didn't even have the option of SDI uppers, as they only had a single sample that they hadn't wiped the oil off of yet. They were nice folks, but I figured I'd feel a little bit better having an SDI complete upper, that was assembled by SDI. It sounds like they now have the option of SDI uppers, and I would have no problem at all of having them build me an upper assembly.

I think you are 100% right. If you called, e-mailed or were face to face and asked them which upper receiver and BCG they used they would tell you. The problem is that you had to ask and if you just assumed that it was an all SD upper, you would be mistaken.

C4

rubberneck
10-03-07, 10:07

To be 100% clear here, I am not making any accusation towards PK firearms. I don't know what was said.

I was only replying to what Grant said he had heard from Saber. My comments were made assuming what he was told by Saber was their version of what actually happened.

For the record I have talked to PK Firearms a couple of times and not only have they been very friendly but they are very knowledgeable, and if I had a need for a product they sell right now I would buy from them in a heartbeat.

I just question Saber's version of events. If they thought it was such a big deal that they went to the expense of marking their products than why would they continue to supply a dealer if they really were offended by his practices?

C4IGrant
10-03-07, 10:12
To be 100% clear here, I am not making any accusation towards PK firearms. I don't know what was said.

I was only replying to what Grant said he had heard from Saber. My comments were made assuming what he was told by Saber was their version of what actually happened.

For the record I have talked to PK Firearms a couple of times and not only have they been very friendly but they are very knowledgeable, and if I had a need for a product they sell right now I would buy from them in a heartbeat.

I just question Saber's version of events. If they thought it was such a big deal that they went to the expense of marking their products than why would they continue to supply a dealer if they really were offended by his practices?

I don't really know if they were all that pissed off about companies (yes there was more than one playing the shell game) buying just their barrels and building uppers. They simply wanted a way to make sure that they and anyone else could ID one of their uppers from some dealers build.

As I said earlier, LMT went through the same issues (dealers buying just barrels and building "LMT" uppers). Their response was to completely stop the sales of barrels and upper receivers. :mad:

C4