PDA

View Full Version : Can the Troy TRX take the heat?

HaydenB
04-13-11, 15:31
So I am wondering how hot the Troy TRX gets under hard use, versus say a DD/LaRue quad rail with covers. Basically I want to be able to fire my full combat load of 210 rounds in a sustained manner. But I also don't want to turn my hands into BBQ chicken fingers :p . So any users of Troy/VTAC/Samson Evolution rails, your input would be greatly appreciated. :)

Darkop
04-13-11, 16:21
So I am wondering how hot the Troy TRX gets under hard use, versus say a DD/LaRue quad rail with covers. Basically I want to be able to fire my full combat load of 210 rounds in a sustained manner. But I also don't want to turn my hands into BBQ chicken fingers :p . So any users of Troy/VTAC/Samson Evolution rails, your input would be greatly appreciated. :)

I have an SBR with a 9" Troy TRX on a Noveske 7.5" with pig. It gets pretty hot after a couple of magazines. Keep in mind that sustained rate of fire for an AR is only about 15 RPM. Yes we all exceed this but that's the way it is. I really like the smaller hand guards over the larger rail forends that feel like a two by four.

Until that day,
Darkop

motoduck
04-14-11, 06:39
I have not noticed the Troy rails getting "hotter" than other rail systems under sustained fire. But, when its hot out and were running drills hard I wear gloves becase all the guns get hot!

Robb Jensen
04-14-11, 06:51

I'd recommend wearing gloves if you're going to be doing near full auto rates of fire with 210 rounds as fast as you can. With that said my Troy/VTAC takes the heat just fine in short bursts.....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/York%20April%202011%203man%203gun/robbrifleyork4.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/York%20April%202011%203man%203gun/robbrifleyork7.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/York%20April%202011%203man%203gun/robbberniebrett.jpg

William B.
04-14-11, 07:33
My TRX Standard gets pretty warm sometimes. Not AK warm, but uncomfortable enough to warrant gloves.

markm
04-14-11, 08:36
It's fine until the barrel nut cracks! :eek:

mtdawg169
04-14-11, 08:57
It's fine until the barrel nut cracks! :eek:

What? Has this happened or are you just being your normal, entertaining self?

Packman73
04-14-11, 09:14
Just installed the 9" rails yesterday (what a bitch without a vise, let me tell ya). I'm definitely going to invest in some gloves.

wahoo95
04-14-11, 09:27
Recently built an LW 14.5" with 11" TRX and it does get warmer faster than my DD Lite. As long as you're wearing gloves its not so bad.

MookNW
04-14-11, 09:27
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=63082

markm
04-14-11, 09:28
What? Has this happened or are you just being your normal, entertaining self?

I haven't seen it myself. But I heard from a reliable source that the Barrel nuts at one point in time were hardened excessively.

mtdawg169
04-14-11, 10:17
I suppose this made them too brittle? Would breakage occur from the clamping of the rail to the bbl nut or heat expansion?

ssracer
04-14-11, 11:06
I've got the 11" on mine and it will get pretty warm after a few rapid fire mag dumps

HaydenB
04-14-11, 14:59
I'd recommend wearing gloves if you're going to be doing near full auto rates of fire with 210 rounds as fast as you can. With that said my Troy/VTAC takes the heat just fine in short bursts.....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/York%20April%202011%203man%203gun/robbrifleyork4.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/York%20April%202011%203man%203gun/robbrifleyork7.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/York%20April%202011%203man%203gun/robbberniebrett.jpg

Thanks for the input. I couldn't help but notice the magwell on your stick. I want a magwell but the Arredondo but it looks a little TOO big. What make is yours?

HaydenB
04-14-11, 15:03
Recently built an LW 14.5" with 11" TRX and it does get warmer faster than my DD Lite. As long as you're wearing gloves its not so bad.

Faster than a naked DD lite or a DD lite with rail covers?

HaydenB
04-14-11, 15:07
Thanks for the link MookNW, my Google-foo has failed me.

ForTehNguyen
04-14-11, 15:23
As with all free float systems, you will just feel the radiant heat from the barrel, not direct heat. Gloves help a lot. FFs with more openings will feel hotter as there is more access to direct heat

Icculus
04-14-11, 15:28
Thanks for the input. I couldn't help but notice the magwell on your stick. I want a magwell but the Arredondo but it looks a little TOO big. What make is yours?

I should probably let Robb answer as it's his lower but I believe its this

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=2568

If so you buy the lower with the magwell of your choice and then the other 2 can be purchased separately

An Undocumented Worker
04-14-11, 17:12
As with all free float systems, you will just feel the radiant heat from the barrel, not direct heat. Gloves help a lot. FFs with more openings will feel hotter as there is more access to direct heat

Not all freefloats, my JP will get very warm from sinking heat off of the barrel extension.

seb5
04-14-11, 17:15
I've used them for a couple of 3 day, 1500 round courses without gloves and never had a problem. Maybe heat is subjective. I can't think of an drill other than mag dumps that would heat them enough to efffect my grip. FWIW I have a 9" on my sbr, an 11" on a LW 14.5, and 13"s on a Noveske 16" SS and DD LW middie.

ForTehNguyen
04-14-11, 17:20
Not all freefloats, my JP will get very warm from sinking heat off of the barrel extension.

guess it depends where you hold, it, I have an AFG on a 12.0" rail

HaydenB
04-14-11, 17:25
I've used them for a couple of 3 day, 1500 round courses without gloves and never had a problem. Maybe heat is subjective. I can't think of an drill other than mag dumps that would heat them enough to efffect my grip. FWIW I have a 9" on my sbr, an 11" on a LW 14.5, and 13"s on a Noveske 16" SS and DD LW middie.

Thanks for all you help guys. I think I'm gonna go with the TRX :)

P.S. Any more advice from experience would be welcome.

PatrolRifleGroup
04-14-11, 20:44
I let three guys shoot my rifle yesterday, 30 rounds each in pretty quick succession. Its a 14.5 DD LW barrel with a 13" TRX rail. After the last round was fired, I grabbed the rifle by the rail to clear it and ground it. It was warm, but not hot. I definitely wouldn't worry about the heat.

msstate56
04-15-11, 03:58
When I still had 3 rifles with VTAC extreme tubes, they would get uncomfortably hot when doing drills such as the Magpul BSA drill (100 rounds in just a few minutes). I have since ditched the "bare tube" style rail in favor of full quad rails that I can attach covers too, mainly the Larue index clips. If you wear gloves, it won't matter. The up side, is the VTAC tube cools off quickly.

SA80Dan
04-15-11, 08:22
I use an 11" TRX Extreme on my 3 gun rifle. Lots of rapid rounds in fairly short sets (25-40 rounds per stage usually, sometimes more). No problems at all, just gets a little warm but no where near to the point that you can't hold it....and I don't even notice it being slightly warm till the stage is over. When I practice by myself, I will do the same but without as much of an interval between sets of fire (i.e. I will shoot a stage or series of drills, paste the targets, then get right back to it again) - even then, while the rail gets very warm, I've not had a problem using it without gloves. I think a lot of that is because these rails are pretty good at dissipating heat quickly. By contrast, if I do the same sets of drills with my Troy MRF quad railed rifle (with ladder rail covers), I find the heat takes a little longer to build up, but it takes much longer to cool down - funnily enough I'm more likely to need a glove with that one.

I've not used the extreme in a carbine course yet but wouldn't hesitate to do so.

HaydenB
04-15-11, 16:29
When I still had 3 rifles with VTAC extreme tubes, they would get uncomfortably hot when doing drills such as the Magpul BSA drill (100 rounds in just a few minutes). I have since ditched the "bare tube" style rail in favor of full quad rails that I can attach covers too, mainly the Larue index clips. If you wear gloves, it won't matter. The up side, is the VTAC tube cools off quickly.

The goal for my build is hard-use first, lite-weight second.

At this point I'm leaning more towards the LaRue 12" w/ Magpul XTM panels.