PDA

View Full Version : When it's rains in the desert, you scrape carbon.

markm
04-13-11, 18:25
It rained Saturday, so I broke the M4carbine.net rule of leaving carbon in place.... and cleaned my AAC's blast chamber.

I couldn't believe how much came out. :eek:

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb201/trixiebud/CIMG3702.jpg?t=1302737002

aflin
04-13-11, 19:28
Jesus...

I wonder how much the carbon weighed

markm
04-13-11, 20:16
Jesus...

I wonder how much the carbon weighed

Next to nothing. It accumulates where the slots in the phantom mount are and builds up from there. The blast baffle stays clear of build up, but the walls of the blast chamber build up pretty good.

usmcvet
04-13-11, 22:57
It could be snow.

It's been raining hard here for a few days too. I went to check out one of the local ranges today and the road was closed because of the mud. That is our fourth season her in VT. Mud Season.

Vegas
04-13-11, 23:29
It rained Saturday, so I broke the M4carbine.net rule of leaving carbon in place.... and cleaned my AAC's blast chamber.

I couldn't believe how much came out. :eek:

How many rounds is that?

markm
04-14-11, 07:59
That's ONE box of ammo! :eek:

Just kidding.... I think the can has 3 or 4 thousand rounds through it, but I don't have my log in front of me. I've knocked carbon out of it before, but never with this Multi-Tasker tool.

It makes the job easy.

Vegas
04-14-11, 12:06
Seems like a decent amount for that many rounds, in a positive way that is. My suppressor knowledge could written on the back of a postage stamp so I am curious about the cleaning process. Is scraping out the carbon with the tool all you do? Or is there some kind of flush with a cleaner? I see myself getting a suppressor at some point.

Thanks.

markm
04-14-11, 12:15
I just scraped it out with the tool.... no chemicals. You don't need to do this, but I was bored.

Cleaning the carbon off the mount is sometimes helpful at making the can easier to mount and take off.

Vegas
04-14-11, 12:19
I see. That would make sense regarding mounting.

Thanks.

04-14-11, 15:37
markm- That looks like a handy tool. Is the name "Brownell's Multi-Tasker Tool?" I want one.

markm
04-14-11, 16:07
markm- That looks like a handy tool. Is the name "Brownell's Multi-Tasker Tool?" I want one.

I don't know. It was given to me, but it makes short work of carbon removal in my carriers too.

Yes... I'm a card carrying carbon scraper on every front! :D

Here it is....

http://www.brownells.com/1/1/49589-multitasker-tube-tool-multitasker-tube-tool-brownells.html

I have it clipped onto a screw driver/hex drive bit kit in my tote so I have a full screwdriver capability at the range.