PDA

View Full Version : rifle break in

monkeywrench
09-29-07, 19:36
How many rounds do I need to feed my rifle before it is broke in? 1K, 2K?

AR15barrels
09-29-07, 20:40
How many rounds do I need to feed my rifle before it is broke in? 1K, 2K?

Depends on the type of barrel and the processes used to make the barrel.

Anywhere from 5 rounds to maybe 500 rounds.
There are different break-in periods for different parts of the gun.
The gas tube and gas key might break-in to each other in 10 rounds or less, but the gas rings and fire control group will certainly take longer.

If it's got a supermatch grade stainless steel barrel, follow the manufacturer's barrel break-in instructions.

If it's got a chrome lined barrel, just go shoot the thing.

Keep it well oiled.

Shoot 1000 rounds through it in a weekend.
Document any stoppages.
Make sure your mags are numbered to aid in recording of mag-related stoppages.

xm15
09-30-07, 00:40
he is right but I don't "trust" a new one untill it has 1000 thru it

nationwide
09-30-07, 09:24
What is your intended use for this rifle? And what kind of barrel does it have material wise?

If you are talking a home defense SHTF weapon, then most would agree 500 rounds is sufficient to ensure every thing is working correctly.

However, I have read many interviews / articles by barrel makers who laugh at some of the voodoo techniques guys use to "break in" the barrel.

Load, shoot, clean when accuracy degrades, repeat! ;)

blaster22
09-30-07, 10:55
I "break-in" the new AR's at work. After several years' experience, this is what I do (new Bushmaster 16" carbines, but I consider this standard practice).

Stake carrier key w/MOACKS tool (used to use punch, thanks guys for the Xmas present!).

Run brush thru bore.

Replace extractor spring with Wolff heavy duty.

If there's a collapsible stock, stake that.

Visual inspection.

Lube the s*** out of the BCG.

Zero at 50 yards.

I EVEN GET PAID TO DO THIS! HAHAHAHA!

6 mag dump.

Assuming no problems, clean, lube, issue.

Eric Shelton
01-15-09, 22:50
Ok, I just finished my first build, and have one or two last questions before I take it out and play/"break in"/sight in the new love of my life.

blaster22- I hope you check this out. Why sight in at 50 yards? I was going to do 200, figuring that would basically cover everything from 100-300. Am I looking at this too hard?

With a self-build, is there anything that needs attention I may have missed? Everything is staked, BCG is lubed, etc. Still feels pretty rough when I pull the charging handle, though. It may just be the Badger latch pulling unevenly? Or do I need to lube the inside of the upper? The buffer tube? Heck, do I just shoot it out?

Last question. I bought all quality parts. Do I need to worry about headspace?

Iraqgunz
01-15-09, 23:11
Read the information here about the 50 yard zero. Yes, you should lube more than the BCG, but that's just me. If everything is put together correctly and you checked everything then you should be GTG.

Do not oil the buffer, there is no need. Yes, IMHO you should be worried about headspace even with new and "quality" parts which some may have a different view of what constitutes quality. I headspace weapons anytime I swap bolts around or do a rebarrel and I do it yearly as required. YMMV

Ok, I just finished my first build, and have one or two last questions before I take it out and play/"break in"/sight in the new love of my life.

blaster22- I hope you check this out. Why sight in at 50 yards? I was going to do 200, figuring that would basically cover everything from 100-300. Am I looking at this too hard?

With a self-build, is there anything that needs attention I may have missed? Everything is staked, BCG is lubed, etc. Still feels pretty rough when I pull the charging handle, though. It may just be the Badger latch pulling unevenly? Or do I need to lube the inside of the upper? The buffer tube? Heck, do I just shoot it out?

Last question. I bought all quality parts. Do I need to worry about headspace?